Which phone to choose guys?

Search This thread

ashzoomerintrack

Jan 24, 2012
Pune
Guys I am planning to buy a new phone. I want your suggestions about choosing the right one. I am relying on good battery life and phone which has a good amount of development going on (custom roms, kernels, miui, cyanogenmod, ics etc.) coz I love to fiddle with devices a lot. My current choices are :
Samsung galaxy R
Samsung galaxy S plus
HTC Desire S
HTC Incredible S

These are my options but senior members can suggest me phone in range of 23000 INR ($475).
Thanks in advance guys :)

Sent from my MIUI powered I9003 via Tapatalk

bigeyes0x0

Jun 20, 2011
Saigon
I came from the I9003, and I am pleased with the development of IncS, the Desire S might have more development. Samsung S+ and R both have the same level of development as the I9003.

Other impressions are: the sound quality of the earpiece of the IncS is not so good compared to the I9003. Music playback using headphone from the IncS is virtually unlistenable to me, the quality is too f***ed up for me, even worse than the I9003 which is not so good by my standard. Although this is kinda biased considering my audio setup on my PC is about a grand and my headphone setup is around 600$. Otherwise I'm more pleased with HTC firmwares and AOSP development here compared to Samsung.

poondog

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Dec 11, 2011
Melbourne
None, if I got a new phone on a budget, Id get a Sensation or Galaxy s II, the prices will really drop as the new phones are released in the next few months. They both have great developer support, and are dual core
Both those Samsungs dont have great developer support, and the HTC's mentioned are not cutting edge tech.. just my two cents :)

bigeyes0x0

Jun 20, 2011
Saigon
When I upgraded it was a mere 25$ spent, but yes now that you mentioned it, it is kinda a sidegrade that you only should do if you can do it cheap or you are fed up with the development of the I9003, which I did.

ashzoomerintrack

Jan 24, 2012
Pune
None, if I got a new phone on a budget, Id get a Sensation or Galaxy s II, the prices will really drop as the new phones are released in the next few months. They both have great developer support, and are dual core
Both those Samsungs dont have great developer support, and the HTC's mentioned are not cutting edge tech.. just my two cents :)

Thanks for the great info. Now I am in a fix. Might be my brother will have to bear with his old phone. Sheesh!

ashzoomerintrack

Jan 24, 2012
Pune
When I upgraded it was a mere 25$ spent, but yes now that you mentioned it, it is kinda a sidegrade that you only should do if you can do it cheap or you are fed up with the development of the I9003, which I did.

Hmm. Will have to get a better deal on galaxy s2 maybe or sensation

Nonverbose

Sep 18, 2011
Adelaide
Hmm. Will have to get a better deal on galaxy s2 maybe or sensation

The htc Evo 3d is well within your price range, its got a larger screen, dual core processor, more powerful gpu and better dev support as well as being 3d.

Also the Droid razr is another high end phone that I have read many good reviews about. The price has dropped somewhat, and you could find one within your budget if you looked hard enough.

It really depends on what your criteria is, I personally have mixed feelings about the IncS and probably HTC phones in general. I also own a very low budget device, a huawei u8180 and I am actually 10x more satisfied with that than what I am with this phone. There's really only one dev with one rom/kernel worth using, but he is absolutely amazing, and constantly updating and improving his work, squeezing every last drop of performance out of such a low end budget device.

I could go on, but I don't want to upset the few devs who thankfully haven't forgotten that we still exist. :)

jhon101

Feb 28, 2012
Pune
Guys I am planning to buy a new phone. I want your suggestions about choosing the right one. I am relying on good battery life and phone which has a good amount of development going on (custom roms, kernels, miui, cyanogenmod, ics etc.) coz I love to fiddle with devices a lot. My current choices are :
Samsung galaxy R
Samsung galaxy S plus
HTC Desire S
HTC Incredible S

These are my options but senior members can suggest me phone in range of 23000 INR ($475).
Thanks in advance guys :)

Samsung R is the way to go. Because it is basically a stripped down version of the Galaxy S2. But the things is, it isn't available any more in india in many shops and THERE IS NO CYANOGENMOD FOR IT! Not official at least.
The second choice would be the Incredible S
Reasons:
1. Cyanogen mod 7. Official
2. better screen than the Desire
3. Better camera than any of the mentioned phones
4. SRS audio is amazing. And add to that, if you root it, you get DSP manager and trust me, after DSP, there isn't anything better than this device.
5. Overclocks up to 1.5 GHz. That's more than the amount on the Galaxy
6. 768MB ram
7. The softkeys can be completely made to disappear. Once rooted though.

Imp0stoR

Apr 5, 2011
Novi Sad
Samsung R is the way to go. Because it is basically a stripped down version of the Galaxy S2. But the things is, it isn't available any more in india in many shops and THERE IS NO CYANOGENMOD FOR IT! Not official at least.
The second choice would be the Incredible S
Reasons:
1. Cyanogen mod 7. Official
2. better screen than the Desire
3. Better camera than any of the mentioned phones
4. SRS audio is amazing. And add to that, if you root it, you get DSP manager and trust me, after DSP, there isn't anything better than this device.
5. Overclocks up to 1.5 GHz. That's more than the amount on the Galaxy
6. 768MB ram
7. The softkeys can be completely made to disappear. Once rooted though.
I had encounters with Samsung phones and I'm very disappointed in them , I'd go with a HTC and between Desire and Incredible definitely go for the Incredible S , I just gone from desire to incredible myself and its quite a jump , much much much better performance not laggy nor choppy , much more dev , love the S-LCD nice colored screen , the firm shape and the 8mp camera is just an overkill ^^

Jhon101 , how do you hide the softkeys? o.0 in cyanogenmod?

jhon101

Feb 28, 2012
Pune
I had encounters with Samsung phones and I'm very disappointed in them , I'd go with a HTC and between Desire and Incredible definitely go for the Incredible S , I just gone from desire to incredible myself and its quite a jump , much much much better performance not laggy nor choppy , much more dev , love the S-LCD nice colored screen , the firm shape and the 8mp camera is just an overkill ^^

It's a script. The lights are based on an LCD display and aren't like the ones on Galaxy phones where the logo just gets lighted up and it's there even when the phone is off.
Here's the Method:

1) Download and install GScript Lite from Android Market. Its free
https://market.android.com/details?i...riptLite&hl=en
2) Download the attached gscript.zip file and extract the two files buttonledON.sh & buttonledOFF.sh to SDCard/gscript (make "gscript" folder in root of sdcard if not present already)
3) Run Gscript Lite. Allow root permission .Click Menu >Add Script.
If u have placed the two script files in correct folder, they will appear. Open and save them both. (dont edit anything other than the Name..you can change it to LED ON/OFF... Run one to turn off led light, other to turn on back to norma)
4) Two icons of script will be there to let you turn on/off those led lights.

Here's the link of the two files : http://xdaforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=744519&d=1318170330

You just got to be rooted that's all.
And mine doesn't switch on and off on will but is actually controlled by the baclklight settings. Eg: At lowest light, the Softkeys won't be viewable!
But of course you can access them. And they're brightest when you make the backlight the brightest. more convinient this way!

All credit goes to: jjdoctor for coming up with the script!

Make sure to hit thanks if I helped.

Reactions: Imp0stoR

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

It's a script. The lights are based on an LCD display and aren't like the ones on Galaxy phones where the logo just gets lighted up and it's there even when the phone is off.
    Here's the Method:

1) Download and install GScript Lite from Android Market. Its free
    https://market.android.com/details?i...riptLite&hl=en
    2) Download the attached gscript.zip file and extract the two files buttonledON.sh & buttonledOFF.sh to SDCard/gscript (make "gscript" folder in root of sdcard if not present already)
    3) Run Gscript Lite. Allow root permission .Click Menu >Add Script.
    If u have placed the two script files in correct folder, they will appear. Open and save them both. (dont edit anything other than the Name..you can change it to LED ON/OFF... Run one to turn off led light, other to turn on back to norma)
    4) Two icons of script will be there to let you turn on/off those led lights.

Here's the link of the two files : http://xdaforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=744519&d=1318170330

You just got to be rooted that's all.
    And mine doesn't switch on and off on will but is actually controlled by the baclklight settings. Eg: At lowest light, the Softkeys won't be viewable!
    But of course you can access them. And they're brightest when you make the backlight the brightest. more convinient this way!

All credit goes to: jjdoctor for coming up with the script!

Make sure to hit thanks if I helped.