Car Cradle Application

Search This thread

DoyleChris

Mar 6, 2009
I have had the Fascinate now for about 2 weeks and love it. First time on the android operating system and getting used to it. I have had windows mobile before.

The question i got is the Car Cradle Application on android 2.1 that comes on the phone is nice since me and the wife travel alot, but what gets me is that the navigation button in the middle of the screen goes to VZNavigator. I ave google maps installed and trying to find Nav & Go to install on it but i would like to change the button on the car cradle to go to google maps or another navigation app besides VZNavigator any idead how to do that.

je2345

Mar 2, 2009
Holland
hmm...so I did what you said and my car cradle app FC's whenever I select View Map, Voice Search, and Navigation. How did you get yours to work? I have uninstalled VZNav and bing.

fascination

Sep 22, 2010
The app still looks for vzw navigator and bing which is why it FC's. Take a CarDock.apk file out of a deodexed 2.1 ese81 build and move it to system/app/ with root explorer. This will give you google car dock. The only glitch I have found is it FC's when you click the contacts button but all the Google stuff works.

Last edited:

DeezNotes

Apr 14, 2010
Baltimore
I use this one: http://www.appbrain.com/app/car-dock-v2/net.cwfk.ig88.carhome

chart

scottishwarrior

Jul 8, 2007
This app was posted in the vibrant section a while back. It's a samsung app that someone downloaded from the market. I installed google maps prior to installing this and then renamed cardock.apk in the system/apps folder. Install the file and you will another version of the car dock. It looks the same except it doesn't have the home button. The maps and navigation buttons link to google maps. The voice search opens google search. The contacts button opens contacts just like the original dock. The regular search button opens bing in the browser.

http://db.tt/pixCKD2

Here's a screen shot.

44239d7e-4197-ff14.jpg

Sent from my Fascinate

jessie02

Sep 10, 2010
This app was posted in the vibrant section a while back. It's a samsung app that someone downloaded from the market. I installed google maps prior to installing this and then renamed cardock.apk in the system/apps folder. Install the file and you will another version of the car dock. It looks the same except it doesn't have the home button. The maps and navigation buttons link to google maps. The voice search opens google search. The contacts button opens contacts just like the original dock. The regular search button opens bing in the browser.

sent from my Fascinate

I installed the app you posted, but it looks nothing like your screenshot. Mine displays 6 basic boxes?

jessie02

Sep 10, 2010
The app still looks for vzw navigator and bing which is why it FC's. Take a CarDock.apk file out of a deodexed 2.1 ese81 build and move it to system/app/ with root explorer. This will give you google car dock. The only glitch I have found is it FC's when you click the contacts button but all the Google stuff works.

That worked great, thanks for the tip!! Wish I could figure out the contacts though.....

ivorycruncher

May 19, 2010
I checked out the Google car dock app that was just released. Couldn't find it in the market, so I tried to force a push from Appbrain, but it said the app requires 2.2, so no luck. Looks like we're stuck with Vibrant apps for the moment.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using XDA App

Nov 22, 2010
I know I am way late to the party but namebrandon at the AndroidCentral forums ripped a working stock car dock app. I moved the old one out and replaced it with the linked CarDock.apk and it works beautifully. Everything routes through google even the text search. Hope this is helpful!

edit: I can't post links cause i'm a noob here. Just search "stock non verizon car dock app" in the fascinate forums at android central and you'll be golden!