Graphite Heat Sink for Cell Phones

Search This thread

Arne_B

Sep 26, 2012
Steenhuize
For a while now, I'm using Chinese 'Gold' 2450mAh batteries.
I noticed how my phone was noticeably cooler with these battery's instead of the stock and another crappy Chinese battery I own.

So I tried to figure out why that was so. But actually it seemed to be very simple to me: These 'Gold' batteries are covered with a metal/aluminum sticker. While the LG and other battery has a regular plastic sticker.
The metal sticker on the gold battery touches the metal plate of the phone under the battery and transfers the heat from there away to the back cover. Spreading the internal heat of the phone better.
So I tested this by giving that other crappy Chinese battery an aluminum 'wrap'. I just wrapped it up in some aluminum foil. And this time the phone stayed cooler than before, with the same battery.

So, anyone can try this, it's totally safe. Just wrap the battery in aluminum foil (except the side where the contact pins are). And use it like that in the phone. For me the phone feels cooler after this little tweak.

vidit_panchal

Feb 4, 2012
Mumbai
For a while now, I'm using Chinese 'Gold' 2450mAh batteries.
I noticed how my phone was noticeably cooler with these battery's instead of the stock and another crappy Chinese battery I own.

So I tried to figure out why that was so. But actually it seemed to be very simple to me: These 'Gold' batteries are covered with a metal/aluminum sticker. While the LG and other battery has a regular plastic sticker.
The metal sticker on the gold battery touches the metal plate of the phone under the battery and transfers the heat from there away to the back cover. Spreading the internal heat of the phone better.
So I tested this by giving that other crappy Chinese battery an aluminum 'wrap'. I just wrapped it up in some aluminum foil. And this time the phone stayed cooler than before, with the same battery.

So, anyone can try this, it's totally safe. Just wrap the battery in aluminum foil (except the side where the contact pins are). And use it like that in the phone. For me the phone feels cooler after this little tweak.

just wraped the original lg battery with an aluminium foil.. wil report back if this helps :good:

cickvoa

Jan 6, 2011
VG
You are aware that metal part of housing is negative, and if you put some metal around battery you could easily shorten positive and negative which could destroy your battery, or in the worst case scenario cause battery explosion and heavily hurt person who is close to phone?

Sent from my LG-P880 using Tapatalk 2

Reactions: dokii22

Arne_B

Sep 26, 2012
Steenhuize
You are aware that metal part of housing is negative
I think this metal foil won't affect the signal because it's only the battery that gets the foil.
Behind the battery the phone is all metal. The battery itself is metal with a plastic sticker around it. So adding a metal foil around the battery won't affect the signal strengths of 3G, GPS or Wifi (which, I guess, are positioned above the battery, around the SIM card slot). I didn't get any negative side effects signal wise, so it should work out ok.

and if you put some metal around battery you could easily shorten positive and negative which could destroy your battery, or in the worst case scenario cause battery explosion and heavily hurt person who is close to phone?

Yes, everyone should make 100% sure that the copper battery contact pins don't have any foil over them:
Just wrap the battery in aluminum foil (except the side where the contact pins are).
But for the rest it's safe to do.

The only problem/warning I do could think of is that when the battery is the part that gets hotter than the rest of the phone, the foil might act as an insulator instead of a cooling part. But that's something to test out.

cickvoa

Jan 6, 2011
VG
I think this metal foil won't affect the signal because it's only the battery that gets the foil.
Behind the battery the phone is all metal. The battery itself is metal with a plastic sticker around it. So adding a metal foil around the battery won't affect the signal strengths of 3G, GPS or Wifi (which, I guess, are positioned above the battery, around the SIM card slot). I didn't get any negative side effects signal wise, so it should work out ok.

Please tell me, how did u manage to understand that i am talking about signal? OMG. That metal part of housing, as i SAID, is negative. if you shorten that with positive pin, your battery will heat up and die in matter of seconds. That is called Short-circuit

Since youve mentioned signal, it wont be affected because there is no antenna around the battery cause if there is, it signal would be weak. Keep in mind, engineers designs phones, they know what they are doing
Yes, everyone should make 100% sure that the copper battery contact pins don't have any foil over them:

But for the rest it's safe to do.
Battery and battery place is carefuly designed and have perfect fit, so no problem can occur

The only problem/warning I do could think of is that when the battery is the part that gets hotter than the rest of the phone, the foil might act as an insulator instead of a cooling part. But that's something to test out.

no, Al foil cannot be heat insulator, it is the complete opposite!

Arne_B

Sep 26, 2012
Steenhuize
Please tell me, how did u manage to understand that i am talking about signal? OMG. That metal part of housing, as i SAID, is negative. if you shorten that with positive pin, your battery will heat up and die in matter of seconds. That is called Short-circuit

I thought you meant with 'metal part of housing is negative', being 'metal part of housing' the metal foil that would than be a part of the phone it's outer housing and 'negative' that it's negative to the phone's operation or so. Thus I concluded you were talking about the foil that it could have a negative effect on the phone.
I didn't know you were talking about negative polarity. Sorry.

Since youve mentioned signal, it wont be affected because there is no antenna around the battery cause if there is, it signal would be weak. Keep in mind, engineers designs phones, they know what they are doing

I know..

no, Al foil cannot be heat insulator, it is the complete opposite!
Sure it can, that's why it's used for this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space_blanket
And used in cooling boxes :p or on the wall of a home to reflect heat from the radiator, preventing it from getting in the wall.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aluminium_foil
Aluminium foil is widely used for thermal insulation (barrier and reflectivity)

PS: you don't have be offensive because of some misunderstandings ;)

Reactions: sinbrkatetete

bipbop

Nov 20, 2008
About this "Graphite/graphene heat sink for cell phone", could anyone post real test results ? I mean: all lg 4x hd has battery temp shown so its easy to evaluate if this magical item works or not. For example: I get +42 Celsius after heavy-playing NFS:MW for half an hour. If this item shows +39 Celsius after half an hour, I take it no questions asked ;). Just use any tool like free "battery notification+widget" from playstore:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/...sMSwxLDEsImNvbS5haXNvZnQuYmF0dGVyeXdpZGdldCJd

it will show you in notification the current battery temp.

abhi08638

Jul 11, 2012
Just a suggestion for those that have bought this. Try placing the sheet around the area that is the hottest ( in my case it is the top of the phone near the camera ) and see if that makes any impact on the temp
Also use gsam battery monitor from the play store to monitor the temp from the notification bar. If there is any decrease in heat or cool down time ill definitely buy this
Please report back:p

Sent from my Optimusx4 using xda app-developers app

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    OK, I just got the graphite/graphene "ice pad" yesterday and have started testing it by adding it as it supposed to be via enclosed instruction (the butchered English grammar notwithstanding). So far, close to within 24 hrs of current testing, I've seen some "slight" improvement. The phone - so far - within the span of an hour or more of solid gaming with all the cores on (software updates included) - doesn't get aggravatingly hot enough to the point where it feels as if it will blister your skin unlike before where I almost believe it will blow up. Yeah, I know it may sound like an exaggeration, but it DID get that hot prior to everything that I feared it will melt the sd card/sim card along with the plastic back cover when I first got the phone. And yes, I have already updated my phone to v20a with the obligatory root and tweaks... however, on stock ROM from LG ONLY. Currently, it does get warm but not overly "toasty" as it did out of the box. The battery still drains like a rock during super heavy use, but that is expected of quad core devices, especially on stock battery with EVERYTHING on (wifi/data/etc). I wish I had a thermal camera to really see the difference but it does "seem" to be able to dissipate heat faster. Alas, I am a noob when it comes to custom ROMs and have only rooted my unit with as-is stock v20a updated from LG so I cannot tell if there is a definite difference with people using the thing with custom ROMs. Will keep testing for the next few weeks.

And yeah, I did cut out a small portion of it to let the back cover still have access to the antenna.
    Hello, I'm new to this site and I wasn't sure where to post this but I believe this counts as a possible accessory so I decided to try it out here. I was looking for another solution to the heating problem in regards to the phone as it still does warm up a bit even after the updates to v20a and came across this:

It's a so-called graphite/graphene "ice pad" that sticks to the area inside the back cover, the only caveat is that if used on the LG Optimus 4X HD, it would cover the nfc antenna which is on the original back cover. Personally, I haven't bought and tried it yet, but am wondering if someone already has. I tried searching for it here on the forums but found nothing in regards to it. So I'm just putting this out here in case someone wants to try it, and possibly review it. I'm going to be ordering one for myself to test it out, but if someone already has tried it, please add a review on this thread.

Unfortunately, I can't post the links due to being restricted as a new user, but they are found on dhgate(dot)com and aliexpress(dot)com under the label "Cell Phone Heat Sink Magical Ice Pad Graphite/Graphene"

EDIT: Accessory has been purchased in this post.....http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=41198265&postcount=14
    Does NFC work as before?

It does. if you can check on the pic I included, I made sure the contacts on the back cover had clear access to the contacts on the phone by cutting out a small piece of the pad .

The only update I have at the moment after almost a month of testing is that the heat rarely rises to "ouch" levels now. A long phone conversation only becomes warm now to my ear, and I did this by calling one of the worst customer service call centers I knew of with a VERY long hold time. Yes, the one where they BOUNCE you through a TON of lines before you get to the right department. :p

Sadly, however, I still can't test this via thermal imaging camera as I don't know anyone personally who owns one to really validate the rest of my tests. All I know so far is that it does help with the heat to a small degree with all the added extra precautions included in taking care of your phone. I've roughly played a two-hour game on it without the feeling of it cooking my hand. I've switched between wifi/data, etc and had the screen on from 60% brightness and up - the thing still automatically stops the brightness control when the unit gets too warm - including leaving it lit for the same amount of time straight as when I was playing a game. In fact, I did both at the same time and separate to see the difference. Only once did it go up to 100 degrees fahrenheit and slightly above that on max brightness using a flashlight app while looking at the internal indicator on as reference before I lost my nerve and let it cool off. It cooled off faster though when it was with the pad than without.

In the end, I would like to say that does kinda work, but don't take my word for it. Everyone in here has different setups for their own units so I hope this thread will get some more people interested in testing it out. For less than ten dollars US (I got mine for five with free shipping), I can say that it's an acceptable risk to test the pad out.
    About this "Graphite/graphene heat sink for cell phone", could anyone post real test results ? I mean: all lg 4x hd has battery temp shown so its easy to evaluate if this magical item works or not. For example: I get +42 Celsius after heavy-playing NFS:MW for half an hour. If this item shows +39 Celsius after half an hour, I take it no questions asked ;). Just use any tool like free "battery notification+widget" from playstore:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/...sMSwxLDEsImNvbS5haXNvZnQuYmF0dGVyeXdpZGdldCJd

it will show you in notification the current battery temp.
    man how much i hate this heating problem