Unlimited tethering mod for T-Mobile S5

Search This thread

tech128

Oct 14, 2012
Well I mostly just cobbled together some older hacks for the S4, Nexus 4, Nexus 5, etc.

and I think I managed to disable the provision check for tethering.

You need root (of course) and know how to follow directions exceedingly well.

First, grab these files and put them into a directory on your computer.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/zy7drzl7plcjz4k/TetheringProvision.apk
http://busybox.net/downloads/binaries/latest/busybox-armv7l
http://d-h.st/Gnd

Download adb + fastboot from here:
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2640650

and extract its contents into the same directory

Now you want to upload sqlite3 and busybox-armv7l to /data/local/tmp like so:

adb push sqlite3 /data/local/tmp/
adb push busybox-armv7l /data/local/tmp/

And also TetheringProvision.apk:

adb push TetheringProvision.apk /sdcard/

adb shell

Now after you're at the shell prompt:
Code:
su

(Grant permission on phone)

mount -o remount,rw /system
cd /data/local/tmp
chmod 755 *
./busybox-armv7l sed -i '/CscFeature_Setting_HideApnList/d' /system/csc/feature.xml
./busybox-armv7l sed -i 's/pcweb.tmobile.com/fast.t-mobile.com/' /system/csc/customer.xml

DB="/data/data/com.android.providers.settings/databases/settings.db"

VAL=`/data/local/tmp/sqlite3 "$DB" "SELECT * FROM global WHERE name='tether_dun_required';"`
if [ "$VAL" == "" ]; then
   /data/local/tmp/sqlite3 "$DB" "INSERT INTO global VALUES (null, 'tether_dun_required','0');"
else
   /data/local/tmp/sqlite3 "$DB" "UPDATE global SET value='0' WHERE name='tether_dun_required';"
fi

cd /system/app/
cp TetheringPro* /sdcard/
rm TetheringProvision.odex
cat /sdcard/TetheringProvision.apk > TetheringProvision.apk
sync
reboot

If you still have problems with tethering you may have to delete all the APNs and add the single APN fast.t-mobile.com with all the other relevant settings.

b-reezy

Nov 4, 2010
Well I mostly just cobbled together some older hacks for the S4, Nexus 4, Nexus 5, etc.

adb shell

Code:
su

cd /data/local/tmp
chmod 755 *
./busybox-armv7l sed -i '/CscFeature_Setting_HideApnList/d' /system/csc/feature.xml
./busybox-armv7l sed -i 's/pcweb.tmobile.com/fast.t-mobile.com/' /system/csc/customer.xml

VAL=`/data/local/tmp/sqlite3 "$DB" "SELECT * FROM global WHERE name='tether_dun_required';"`
   /data/local/tmp/sqlite3 "$DB" "INSERT INTO global VALUES (null, 'tether_dun_required','0');"
else
   /data/local/tmp/sqlite3 "$DB" "UPDATE global SET value='0' WHERE name='tether_dun_required';"
fi

cd /system/app/
sync
reboot

If you still have problems with tethering you may have to delete all the APNs and add the single APN fast.t-mobile.com with all the other relevant settings.

I'm going to give it a shot and I'll report back my results. :good:

CanadianKB

Sep 27, 2013
Not truly unlimited

;52223067 said:
ya i will donate...lol

That just removes checks for us on prepaid tmo can still see its hotspot and limits useage to 100mb. I think the only way around that is VPN but I'd love to find another way.

mrl0n3ly714

Jan 30, 2007
Tampa Bay
How u manage the user agent to rout e all traffic to person AL data? As I aware tmobile detect user agent and cut toward personal data.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

undercover nerd

Apr 18, 2014
sacramento
How u manage the user agent to rout e all traffic to person AL data? As I aware tmobile detect user agent and cut toward personal data.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk
I don't know I didn't remove the provisioning but I'm confirming it is working as it should on the rom I'm useing. without using any 3rd party app. Also it helps to decline any DIAGNOSTICS REQUESTS from t-mobile. I posted the link above earlier to the rom

fastfed

Feb 13, 2008
I don't know I didn't remove the provisioning but I'm confirming it is working as it should on the rom I'm useing. without using any 3rd party app. Also it helps to decline any DIAGNOSTICS REQUESTS from t-mobile. I posted the link above earlier to the rom

Not to call you out, but since you're the only one claiming I have no choice.. I've seen so many of these replies, where people say its working.. I go through the trouble of following and sure enough like clock work, when I hit the 5gb limit (allowed tethering for us unlimited plan) I get the webpage saying I'm over.

Until someone can confirm you are OVER the 5gb liimit, NO USING some sort of user agent to make yourself like you're on an android, I won't believe it.

sorry

em0ney14

Apr 1, 2014
Samsung Galaxy S22 Ultra
Reported working on Verizon forums.

Sent from my SM-G900T using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Attachments

• 1398739234800.jpg
    1398739234800.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 1,955

undercover nerd

Apr 18, 2014
sacramento
The tether from the rom I'm speaking if takes from your personal data plan like as if you was useing your phones Internet it does not use up tethering data aka Hotspot data. And go the the thread link everyone there is confirmed working. If you have unlimited let data like I do with my tethering 500 MG Hotspot data your good to go cause it's not using up my Hotspot data. Hope that clears up your suspicions. After all I'm just trying to help and fyi I'm not useing any 3rd party app for tethering just activating it from settings

fastfed

Feb 13, 2008
The tether from the rom I'm speaking if takes from your personal data plan like as if you was useing your phones Internet it does not use up tethering data aka Hotspot data. And go the the thread link everyone there is confirmed working. If you have unlimited let data like I do with my tethering 500 MG Hotspot data your good to go cause it's not using up my Hotspot data. Hope that clears up your suspicions. After all I'm just trying to help and fyi I'm not useing any 3rd party app for tethering just activating it from settings

Well remember, T-mobile upped the amount. Its not 500 megs, its 5gb of FREE tethering.. So are you confirming 500megs or 5gb of data? Just saying, every time I see a way to go over the allowed amount, it never works . I'll give this a try though. thanks

undercover nerd

Apr 18, 2014
sacramento
Well remember, T-mobile upped the amount. Its not 500 megs, its 5gb of FREE tethering.. So are you confirming 500megs or 5gb of data? Just saying, every time I see a way to go over the allowed amount, it never works . I'll give this a try though. thanks
I'm at 40 megs of 3gb cause now my Hotspot doesn't use its data it's all off my regular data so my hot spot data never increases. I'm in the rom forum so if you need help there I'll help you set it up but it's pretty straight foward. And they didn't give me 5 gb lol guess they hate me

Last edited:

BlackAlpha7

Sep 27, 2013
Not to call you out, but since you're the only one claiming I have no choice.. I've seen so many of these replies, where people say its working.. I go through the trouble of following and sure enough like clock work, when I hit the 5gb limit (allowed tethering for us unlimited plan) I get the webpage saying I'm over.

Until someone can confirm you are OVER the 5gb liimit, NO USING some sort of user agent to make yourself like you're on an android, I won't believe it.

sorry

I am using the same ROM as the other guy and I do not have ANY tethering on my plan (for whatever reason) but it works against your data. I'm already at about 7GB through tethering from testing speeds through Steam Downloads and speed test and everything.

xda23

Sep 13, 2013
Is it possible to make a flashable zip that can be flashed through recovery. Thanks In advance!!!

Sent from my SM-G900T using XDA Free mobile app

Angry Black Man

Nov 3, 2012
Dirty Jersey
www.toocrooked.com
so i'm pretty desperate and have tried this as EVERYTHING else has failed (wifi tether, foxfi, tether router). right now im connected to my AP, but i don't know how to truly "test" the data limit to confirm if this is working properly. i obviously know how to download data, but how do i confirm which pool of data it's coming from?

also, how do you add information to a post so that it says in small grey print "post added at .... post originally created..."?

finally, when i start the 1st party hotspot, should it still say "checking your account"..?

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Working Tether for SM-G900T

So, after digging, reading, crying, and lots of booze, I found a solution to our ongoing issue.. and it was in another thread... HOWEVER, there's a note that isn't noted that's worth noting (huh?):

Do what they say on the following thread.
    Spend $2.50 on Tether Router in the Play Store; or download the .APK (one of the first few pages in the thread).
    Do what they say again in the thread.
    If you have any existing WiFi connections saved and connect to them automatically, delete those connections (forget), leave WiFi enabled, then turn on the WiFi Router.

Here's a summery:

Use Root Explorer or a Root browser of some sort (ROM Toolbox is great since the Root Browser includes an XML editor) and navigate to system/csc

Change the permissions for customer.xml to allow read and write access.

Modify the customer.xml file and change the IPV6 values to IPV4. Also change the "<Editable>no</Editable>" to "<Editable>yes</Editable>".

Navigate to your system settings menu for your Access Point Names Settings > Network Connections > More Networks > Mobile Networks > Access Point Names. Use the Menu toggle and select the only option Reset to default. This may take a few seconds to a minute to refresh the list. If you click the "T-Mobile US LTE" APN, you should see that you can now edit the values, though you shouldn't have to if the APN Protocol is already set to IPv4. Mine is set to IPv4/IPv6 and works just fine.

Buy the darn app, Wifi Tether Router by FABIO GRASSO. It's only $2.50 and apparently, it works.

YOU NEED ROOT ACCESS

Launch Wifi Tether Router and select Configure WiFi Router.

Allow Root Access

Use the following settings to ensure stability and workability with your SGS5:
    Interface wlan0
    Method 3 - HostApd
    Encryption wpa2-psk
    Channel 1
    Drivers nl80211
    "HostApd Patch" <- UNCHECKED
    "No Firmware Reload" <- UNCHECKED

Ensure your wireless device is N or G compatible and adjust the setting accordingly in the same list.

Back out of the configuration settings once you've set them up but don't enable the hotspot yet.

First, open your WiFi settings and Turn on WiFi. If you connect to any WiFi networks, delete those network connections and don't connect to any wifi networks and leave WiFi turned ON.

Go Back to WiFi Tether Router and Enable WiFi Router.

Poof! It should be working. If for some stupid reason it isn't, Reboot your phone, enable WiFi, and try again.

If not, try the Omega international ROM that everyone is talking about. Tether works great on it from what I hear.

Here's the original threads that helped me: Thread 1, Thread 2 Winning Post

adb shell

Code:
    su

cd /data/local/tmp
    chmod 755 *

else
    fi

cd /system/app/
    sync
    reboot

Quote:

Originally Posted by datafoo

Source file:
    system/csc/customer.xml

Modify the following:
    <Editable>yes</Editable> (from no)

<APN>fast.t-mobile.com</APN> (from pcweb.tmobile.com)

<Profile>
    <NetworkName>T-Mobile</NetworkName>
    <Editable>yes</Editable>
    <EnableStatus>enable</EnableStatus>
    <ProfileName>T-Mobile Tethering</ProfileName>
    <Auth>none</Auth>
    <Bearer>ps</Bearer>
    <Protocol>http</Protocol>
    <Proxy>
    <EnableFlag>off</EnableFlag>
    </Proxy>
    <PSparam>
    <APN>fast.t-mobile.com</APN>
    </PSparam>
    </Profile>

Modify your customer.xml and feature.xml

delete this line from feature.xml (this hides the APNs from view)
    <CscFeature_Setting_HideApnList>pcweb.tmobile.co m</CscFeature_Setting_HideApnList>

change customer.xml as above.

:p:p:p:p

I changed all APNS to editable. Then deleted the existing tethering APN. Then added ,dun to the T mobile US LTE APN under APN type.

Make sure to set protocol ipv4.

I then TWRP'D a backup of my data and stuff just for fun, factory reset to make changes stick, restore TWRP'D data. Payed Fabio Grassio for his tether app on play store and BAM!
    I use Xposed and wanam to get unlimited tether. Just a couple of checkmarks and it works.

From within tje xposed installer I downloaded moto tether and turned it on. In the wanam module under the system category I checked disable tether provisioning. I also use the wifi tether router app from the market. I have been able to tether successfully.