[DEV][5/5/10] LMT Launcher 0.8

Search This thread

EndEd

Dec 31, 2009
Hi EndEd,

please use LMT v0.1.CAB. It is the latest version. When you start LMT you won't see any window - LMT is running in the bg. I just recognized that LMT has problems with starting the app twice (MultiTouchDemo is set to "0 again"). I'll fix that.

I just finished implementing blacklist support for "launch" and "close". When the feature is working on my HD2, we can release a new version tomorrow.

ok, thanks. Anyway i´ll give it a try again coz i´m drooling about get this working. :D

aussiebum

Dec 5, 2008
Nice stuff! Had trouble drawing a double square that LMT would recognise (just killed it taskmgr instead :p), but otherwise really innovative control method :D

It's not really explained in post #4, but I assume apps can be mapped against doublelineleft and doublelineright?

noname81

Jun 28, 2009
Google Pixel 7 Pro
"It's not really explained in post #4, but I assume apps can be mapped against doublelineleft and doublelineright?"

Apps can be mapped against all gestures except the close gesture (double swipe up) and the learn gesture ('??').

appelflap

Inactive Recognized Developer
Feb 9, 2008
Utrecht
We decided to support only special multitouch gestures to not interfere with normal scrolling gestures or the HTC pinch to zoom feature. I hope someone can try our first version and give us a bug report, comments to new features, etc…

First of all, thanks for this program. It makes interfacing with the HD2 so natural. No more point and tap, just swipe :) Way to go! (Because I like this so much I'm willing to test some things out for you guys, so it there's anything, just ask... )

Now, first, a reaction to the comment I quoted. I can fully understand your decision not to implement "single-touch" gestures. Nonetheless, I'm wondering if it is not possible (in the future) to add some unambiguous single-touch gestures, like for example the drawing of a circle. Just one or two additional single-touch gestures would make it possible to use the gesture-launcher in single hand "mode". I think that in this mode the gesture-launcher comes in very handy. For example, closing an app when you have the device in one hand by drawing a circle or locking it, or better yet turn it of (standby)... would be so comfortable!
But then again, as it is right now, the app. is very, very useful!

Bugs? I have nothing to add to it right now, except for 2 minor things: a) the cab fails to create the shortcut in the startup folder (weird because the cab just looks fine) (EDIT: no bug, just me ;) the app isn't supposed to install itself in the startup folder), b) the device also hangs when trying to close the windows startmenu (so that would be something that could be added to the blacklist)

Furthermore, but I can not figure out if this is caused by this app, I had a spontaneous soft reset when I turned on my phone this morning. (Problem is, i'm also running a relatively new custom rom so .... )

BTW, when I first read about this app. I was a bit sceptical about it because I thought it would slowdown the device. But, I can't observe any hick-ups, delays or whatsoever! Astonishing, really (and o yeah, what about 3 finger gestures :p

Last edited:

dongster

Jan 9, 2010
hi, I would like to request for some kind assistance.

I installed the LMT cab, launched the program, but nothing happened. so I followed an earlier post to change registry multitouchdemo to 1, but still not working. I then saw another post to check for pentrac.dll, but I couldn't find it under \Windows of both device n storage card. furthermore, I do not see the registry key hklm\software\LMT.

is there something I've missed? I'd really appreciate some kind advice.

thanks!

(btw, my HD2 is on 1.66Rom + maxmanila n some regular applications.)

***EDIT***

Hi, I re-downloaded from my desktop PC and transferred to my HD2 to reinstall. It is working super super well now!! This is absolutely fantastic~! Probably the cab that I download from my mobile was corrupted or something. But anyways, this is so damn cool and convenient~!

Many many thanks to the creator~!

Last edited:

traianescu

Account currently disabled
Nov 18, 2009
GB
meettomy.site
it's working just fine, but i'm still refreshing this thread every ten minutes to see if it is a new version :p
As this is only for HD2 why don't you move the thread to the one for LEO, because not many person knows what means LMT Launcher. In the Leo thread i am sure that will be many-many person to test it and give their feedbacks...

PS - i just made the announce under the Leo's apps .. hope that many will test it now

Last edited:

themadcat

May 2, 2007
Verry cool idea...
Had to test it but on my Leo with tmobile stock rom (old 1.43) i had to do the reg trick

3) When starting LMT, the reg value HKLM\HARDWARE\DEVICEMAP\TOUCH\MultiTouchDemo is set to "1". For testing set value to "0" and then to "1" while LMT is active. Does LMT work?

After set it to "1" it works here too... Thanks and keep up the good work. = )

noname81

Jun 28, 2009
Google Pixel 7 Pro
Just finished the work for v0.2. The change log:

- fixed setting MultiTouchDemo to "1" via LMT. Hope that works now :)
- added blacklist support for Close gesture. Just add a multistring "BlackListClose" with the full path to each process to exclude (no default values yet)
- added blacklist support for Start gesture. Just add a multistring "BlackListStart" with the full path to each process to exclude (no default values yet)
- added whitelist support for Back command on DoubleLineLeft gesture (e.g. Opera). Just add a multistring "WhiteListBack" with the full path to each process to include (no default values yet)

I've sent the new version to l3v5y. He'll attach it and the change log in post #1.

noname81

Jun 28, 2009
Google Pixel 7 Pro
"I'm wondering if it is not possible (in the future) to add some unambiguous single-touch gestures, like for example the drawing of a circle. Just one or two additional single-touch gestures would make it possible to use the gesture-launcher in single hand "mode".

No Problem, we can add that feature in the next release. Perhaps v0.3... :) Which single-touch gestures should we add? Circle, and?

noname81

Jun 28, 2009
Google Pixel 7 Pro
"and o yeah, what about 3 finger gestures"

3 finger swipes are possible (I already managed it), but only with a hack into touch.dll and limitations. The touch driver is able to recognize 3 fingers on the screen but delivers coodinates for only two of them. So a two finger swipe with finger count=3... :)

kikakeule

Aug 11, 2008
nice prog
just a few question:
1. how i have to seperate the multistring values in "BlackListClose"? Tried space and new line for every entry. Or is there any possibility to disable the close feature at all?
2. Can i link some gestures, for example doublelineleft/right, to the navigation keys as the hd2 doesnt have some hardware navigationkeys?

knaawmsayin

Dec 23, 2009
Now, first, a reaction to the comment I quoted. I can fully understand your decision not to implement "single-touch" gestures. Nonetheless, I'm wondering if it is not possible (in the future) to add some unambiguous single-touch gestures, like for example the drawing of a circle. Just one or two additional single-touch gestures would make it possible to use the gesture-launcher in single hand "mode". I think that in this mode the gesture-launcher comes in very handy. For example, closing an app when you have the device in one hand by drawing a circle or locking it, or better yet turn it of (standby)... would be so comfortable!

I have to agree that it would be handy to be able to use gestures with just one hand. BUT. In my experience, the one finger gesture recognition impairs the usability of normal touch controls. It's kinda hard to explain, but I'll try to give you an example: When I had one finger gestures turned on on my HP touch screen laptop, the controls seemed always a bit laggy. For example, whenever I'd scroll a webpage up or down (by moving my finger on the screen, just like in HD2 web browser) the computer would always wait for a brief moment to determine whether this was a normal finger move or a gesture about to be completed. It didn't scroll the page immediately as I was moving my finger. After realizing it was not a gesture (after moving my finger about half an inch), only then it would go on and start scrolling the page. We're not talking about a huge lag here but somehow it felt really unresponsive and laggy because of this. When I turned off the gestures on Windows Vista options, the problem was solved but I lost the handy shortcuts and commands I was able to map to these gesture. But I have to say, that was a trade-off I was willing to make.

From the videos I've seen, N900 seemed to have another approach but it didn't feel any better either. There was this twirling your finger to zoom in and out gesture (seems I can't post an outside link, search n900 zoom on YouTube if you're interested) and when one starts to draw the circle with one's finger, at first the browser starts to move the page uncontrollably to all directions as if you were scrolling the page, before it realizes the user is performing a gesture and executes the zooming in or out.

Those are the things that I'm concerned of when talking about one finger gestures. It's something I think you guys should take into account when planning this feature.

Anyways, that was my 2 cents before even testing the program. The concept of alt+tabbing in such an easy and intuitive way seems brilliant and something that I've missed on my HD2. Many thanks for implementing it, let's see how good it is in practice!

noname81

Jun 28, 2009
Google Pixel 7 Pro
"1. how i have to seperate the multistring values in "BlackListClose"? Tried space and new line for every entry. Or is there any possibility to disable the close feature at all?"

New line should work. Just tested it again. You have to restart LMT because the black- and whitelists are only read at startup from registry. There is no possibility to disable close yet.

appelflap

Feb 9, 2008
Utrecht
"I'm wondering if it is not possible (in the future) to add some unambiguous single-touch gestures, like for example the drawing of a circle. Just one or two additional single-touch gestures would make it possible to use the gesture-launcher in single hand "mode".

No Problem, we can add that feature in the next release. Perhaps v0.3... :) Which single-touch gestures should we add? Circle, and?

Glad that that's no problem, because if you can add single-touch gestures live can be so much easier. I'm picturing myself in a startrek movie: I take my phone out of my pocket with my right hand, put it on with the shake-on-device app, and draw, while holding my left hand busy with a cigaret, a 1 on the screen and voila, there it goes: calling speed dial 1.
(****, Spock could have told me this: of course I have to bypass the lock screen first... So, one extra gesture here. No problem)

No just kidding, instead of inventing the wheel once more, maybe it's better to look at the gestures used by the first generations palm-devices:

Palm_Graffiti_gestures.png

Unambigeous gestures that are easy to make and that do not interfere with the standard gestures some apps are using are (in my opinion), taking the above picture as a reference:
the J, the L, the O etc .
For speeddial shortcuts one could use the 1,2,3 etc :p (beam me up, scotty)

So I leave it pretty much up to you. But for starters I myself like the L and the J, the : ,the | , the \ , the / (see picture)

----------------------

BTW the problem could be that there are so much gestures that one looses track of them. Could you (in the far future) implemenent a pop chart with a overview of the assigned gestures, with the commands they are binded to.

Man, I'm getting so excited from this app. As far as i am concerned with this app. I really don't need WM 7.0 anymore :D

appelflap

Feb 9, 2008
Utrecht
I have to agree that it would be handy to be able to use gestures with just one hand. BUT. In my experience, the one finger gesture recognition impairs the usability of normal touch controls. It's kinda hard to explain, but I'll try to give you an example: When I had one finger gestures turned on on my HP touch screen laptop, the controls seemed always a bit laggy. For example, whenever I'd scroll a webpage up or down (by moving my finger on the screen, just like in HD2 web browser) the computer would always wait for a brief moment to determine whether this was a normal finger move or a gesture about to be completed. It didn't scroll the page immediately as I was moving my finger. After realizing it was not a gesture (after moving my finger about half an inch), only then it would go on and start scrolling the page. We're not talking about a huge lag here but somehow it felt really unresponsive and laggy because of this. When I turned off the gestures on Windows Vista options, the problem was solved but I lost the handy shortcuts and commands I was able to map to these gesture. But I have to say, that was a trade-off I was willing to make.

From the videos I've seen, N900 seemed to have another approach but it didn't feel any better either. There was this twirling your finger to zoom in and out gesture (seems I can't post an outside link, search n900 zoom on YouTube if you're interested) and when one starts to draw the circle with one's finger, at first the browser starts to move the page uncontrollably to all directions as if you were scrolling the page, before it realizes the user is performing a gesture and executes the zooming in or out.

Those are the things that I'm concerned of when talking about one finger gestures. It's something I think you guys should take into account when planning this feature.

You're right, single touch gestures can include a complexity wich results in a lesser comfortable way of interacting with the device. But I think that this is really a implementation issue. It all comes down to the algorithm those guys are using and how well it is implemented. From my first impressions with the multi-touch gestures there isn't really a problem here. But of course, I can't speak for the developers. I think they pretty much know what can be done here and what not. I don't think they choose to create another bloatware package :)

appelflap

Feb 9, 2008
Utrecht
"and o yeah, what about 3 finger gestures"

3 finger swipes are possible (I already managed it), but only with a hack into touch.dll and limitations. The touch driver is able to recognize 3 fingers on the screen but delivers coodinates for only two of them. So a two finger swipe with finger count=3... :)

I thought it was impossible, that's why I mentioned it :p But nice work around, chapeau.

alex fung

Jul 3, 2009
- added blacklist support for Start gesture. Just add a multistring "BlackListStart" with the full path to each process to exclude (no default values yet)
- added whitelist support for Back command on DoubleLineLeft gesture (e.g. Opera). Just add a multistring "WhiteListBack" with the full path to each process to include (no default values yet)

The tool is great!

I can understand why blacklistclose is important, but I don't get the purpose of the other two:

What is the behaviour of BlackListStart? The process will not be run even if the connected gesture is detected? Or does it mean when the process is running on foreground, all gestures are ignored?

Why do we need a gesture for Opera back when Back is a simple button on Opera?

Senfsaft

Jun 14, 2008
Hi great work first of all :)

i do not understand the blacklist feature. is there a registry key called blackliststart or how does it work ?

manuel

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    LMT is a tool for the HD2 that launches a program when perform single touch or multitouch gestures on the screen. You can connect internal commands and external apps to any gesture LMT supports. See a video here.

Installation

Download the latest version, copy it to your HD2, start the cab via file explorer and install LMT on internal memory. After installation start LMT. You won’t see any GUI since LMT is a background process. Try at first the double swipe up gesture. If everything works fine, you’ll see the corresponding overlay and the foreground process will be closed (closeApp is the default action for double swipe up).

Gestures

• SwipeRightDouble
    • SwipeLeftDouble
    • SwipeUpDouble
    • SwipeDownDouble
    • SwipeRightLeftDouble
    • SwipeLeftRightDouble
    • SwipeUpDownDouble
    • SwipeDownUpDouble
    • QuestionmarkDouble
    • SquareDouble
    • DiamondDouble
    • Square (start gesture top left cw)
    • Diamond (start gesture at the bottom cw)
    • Delete (start gesture top left)

gesturesoverview.jpg

Learning gestures

There are two ways to connect apps to gestures. The first one is to draw the “learn gesture” on the screen and afterwards the gesture, you want to connect the current foreground app with. This method is easy but has some limitations. You cannot assign process arguments or assign internal commands to gestures. The second way is to configure LMT via registry. Navigate with your preferred registry editor to HCKU\Software\LMT. Here you can see which commands are currently connected to a gesture and you can edit any gesture/app relation. To assign an external app to a gesture insert the full path to the process: [Full path to exe],[arguments]. E.g. "\Windows\tmail.exe,-RunInBKG". To assign an internal command to a gesture insert on of the following command strings.

Commands
    • “CloseLMT” -> close LMT
    • “CloseApp” -> close the foreground app
    • “Learn” -> activate learn mode
    • “Back” -> send back key
    • “Start” -> start menu
    • “Lock” -> lock phone
    • “Phone” -> start Phone app
    • “Up” -> send Dpad up
    • “Down” -> send Dpad down
    • “Left” -> send Dpad left
    • “Right” -> send Dpad right
    • “PrevApp” -> switch to previous app (Alt-Tab feature)
    • “NextApp” -> switch to next app (Alt-Tab feature)
    • “Home” -> switch to Homescreen
    • “Rotate” -> rotate screen
    • “Controller” -> activate the controller mode

Controller Mode
    controllerFPSEce.jpg

Use the controller as a generic gamepad for e.g. FPSEce, morphgear or flash games. The controller is multitouch capable and converts the touches to key events. You can define the keys to be sent via registry value "ControllerKeys": Down, up, left, right, 1, 2, A, B, C, D, X, Y. The button "R" toggles between portrait and landscape mode and partial and full screen lock. The button "X" deactivates the controller mode. The registry value "ControllerVibrate" defines the vibrate status: 0=off, 1=default, >1=time in ms. To quickly install and configure LMTs controller with FPSEce and morphgear I made a fpse.ini file and a registry file for morphgear. The howto:

FPSEce:
    • install FPSEce on internal memory
    • before first start replace the existing fpse.ini with the attached one
    • now start FPSEce
    • load a rom, start LMTs controller and have fun!

Morphgear:
    • install morphgear and e.g. the generator plugin on internal memory
    • start morphgear and close it again
    • import the attached registry file
    • now restart morphgear again
    • load rom, start LMTs controller and have fun!

These aren't the perfect settings since I only patched the key inputs to work properly with LMTs controller but it's a good base for further settings. If anyone has better settings, it would be nice if he could post them here... :)

Settings

There are 3 blacklists available to exclude processes from taskswitching (BlackListSwitch), from the closeApp feature (BlackListClose) and to deactivate LMT when the process is the current foreground app (BlackListAll). Just add the full path to the process to the multistring. There is also 1 whitelist available: WhiteListBack. If Opera 9 is the current foreground app and you activate the internal command “Back”, LMT will send a special key to navigate back in Opera.

With the registry value “SingleTouchGestureSupport” you are able to activate or deactivate the single touch gestures (Square, Diamond and Delete) and with the registry value “TapAndHoldGestureSupport” you can activate a special feature where you can draw all dual touch gestures with one hand: Just tap with one finger somewhere on the screen and draw "one part" of the multitouch gesture with another finger. Then release the tapped finger and the gesture will be recognized.

Changelog 0.8
    • Fixed rotation feature
    • Controller button "R" now toggles between: Portrait (fg app touchable) -> Landscape (fg app touchable) -> Portrait (full screen lock) -> Landscape (full screen lock)
    • Added Mario feature in controller mode: The areas between A and B, C and D and X and Y will lead to both keyevents. When you e.g. run in Mario Bros. with button "C" and jump with button "D" you can run with "C" and then slide your finger right. Then "C" and "D" will be both pressed. Mario will run and jump... :)
    • Fixed rotate and exit button in controller mode (no interference with fg app)
    • Added dword reg value "ShowOverlay": 0=overlays deactivated, 1=overlays activated with default time, >1=overlays activated with custom time (ms)
    • Optimized square gestures
    • Removed arrow gestures
    • Added 5 new mt gestures: Double Diamond and Swipe left/right, right/left, up/down, down/up
    • Added 1 st gesture: Diamond
    • Added \Windows\services.exe to BlackListClose
    • Set new defaults for gestures (see registry!)
    • LMT is now rotation arware and works also in landscape mode (only 270°)
    • Controller supports now real landscape mode (e.g. for flash games)
    See full changelog in changelog.txt attached!
    Due to the fact that I had the same idea than l3v5y to develop a multitouch gesture launcher based on the PenTrac approach, we decided to develop LMT together. This is our first alpha version:

LMT is able to launch and close processes with multitouch gestures. The following gestures are currently supported (see gestures.jpg in attachments):

- DoubleSquare: Close LMT
    - DoubleQuestionMark: Learn mode; the following gesture will be connected to the process related to the foreground window. Next time the gesture is done, LMT will start the connected process
    - DoubleLineUp: Close the current process
    - DoubleLineDown: Connect e.g. to TaskFacade as a “Multitouch Taskmanager”
    - DoubleLineLeft, DoubleLineRight
    - DoubleArrowLeft, DoubleArrowRight

We decided to support only special multitouch gestures to not interfere with normal scrolling gestures or the HTC pinch to zoom feature. I hope someone can try our first version and give us a bug report, comments to new features, etc…
    Thank you very much ;) Unfortunatelly this exe file that you attached, kills the start menu function of my HD mini (WM 6.5.3). I guess that it kills shell32.exe. "closeall" feature is the only thing i need. In LMT you can configure in the registry settings which apps will not close. In this exe you can't do that. Maybe that's the problem.

Oh, as I said: I only tested it in the simulator! :) See my post above for a fixed version. I added the following apps to the blacklist:

\windows\\manila.exe
    \windows\\shell32.exe
    \windows\\gwes.exe
    \windows\\services.exe

Does it work now?
    Hi, i already ported lmt to android (see my posts above) and I'm using it for 2 month now. For a release i still have to iron out some bugs and implement some GUI features. Problem: I'm a little bit lazy atm... :)

Sent from my HTC EVO 3D X515m using XDA App