[Tutorial] Xperia S/P/U/Sola Bootloader Unlocking & Relocking

Search This thread

DooMLoRD

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jul 27, 2010
Pune
I have a question about 'relocking' the bootloader. Now we know that after unlocking the DRM keys will be lost.

What happens if we ''relock'' the bootloader? Do we get the DRM's back?

I know that when I have the Arc, relocked, TrackID and other stuff should work in proper again.

once bootloader is unlocked DRM keys are lost forever...

DooMLoRD

Jul 27, 2010
Pune
It's still not clear to me why we can't back them up, I mean they had to get there somehow and software has to read them somehow. So why can't we read them and write them back when needed?

they are stored in an area which is not accessible to users...

BTW even HTC has similar policies... upon bootloader unlock DRM keys are lost there too...

MCLP

Aug 12, 2009
Bootloader locked

Hey doomlord im thinking off unlocking my sony xperia s by code in the future can i assume that after that i will be able to unlock my bootloader or is there no other way to unlock our bootloader(our has in the people who brought the phone branded to one carrier)

DooMLoRD

Jul 27, 2010
Pune
Hey doomlord im thinking off unlocking my sony xperia s by code in the future can i assume that after that i will be able to unlock my bootloader or is there no other way to unlock our bootloader(our has in the people who brought the phone branded to one carrier)

currently only way to unlock bootloader is the official one

depulle87

Nov 25, 2010
manage to do this on my x64 Windows 7.

key thing is to get the right drivers

I download the drivers from here, http://download.theandroidsoul.com/file/unlock xperia arc bootloaders.zip

and use the fastboot drivers from the drivers folder.

then in that few seconds where the phone is in fastboot mode, I update the drivers accordingly.

The problem I think is Windows 7 will automatically redirect the driver installation to default/generic installation if it can't find the driver for the device. So perhaps to avoid it totally it's to use gpedit.msc to stop the redirection of the devices..

done it on my windows 7 64bit system to and since it does not give me a unknown device I just tried the drivers it found by "fastboot devices "
it worked and I unlocked my bootloader succesfully,

this however can be caused by the fact I have the fastboot drivers for my Arc still installed ?

anarchyuk

Mar 27, 2007
North East England
haha worked after about 3 hours of trying for me.. was a user error! was holding the phone upside down and pressing the vol down key ;) strange as both bring up and s1 device in the device manager

PollPixx

Apr 27, 2009
haha worked after about 3 hours of trying for me.. was a user error! was holding the phone upside down and pressing the vol down key ;) strange as both bring up and s1 device in the device manager

You found out in 3 hours you were holding the phone upside down? :-S B-)

Verstuurd van mijn LT26i met Tapatalk

Colinn789

Feb 25, 2010
Barcelona
Bootloader locked forever?

So...if I in "Rooting Status" says "Bootloader unlock allowed: No" I can't unlock my Bootloader and I can't root etc...?

Is this going to be permanent? oh no...another closed system like iOS :eek:

PollPixx

Apr 27, 2009
Well, long enough on xda the devs come up with a solution, but for now its not possible for you.

Verstuurd van mijn LT26i met Tapatalk

Reactions: vitorugo-8

MCLP

Aug 12, 2009
yOU STILL CAN UNLOCK IT !!!!!!

So...if I in "Rooting Status" says "Bootloader unlock allowed: No" I can't unlock my Bootloader and I can't root etc...?

Is this going to be permanent? oh no...another closed system like iOS :eek:

No its not i JUST BROUGH MY PHONE FROM PORTUGAL FROM A CARRIER CALLED TMN AND AFTER A SIM UNLOCK PAID ABOUT 20 EUROS THE BOOTLOADER UNLOCKED CHANGED TO (YES):D IT SEMS THAT IT WILL ON LET YOU UNLOCK IF YOU HAVE YOUR PHONE UNLOCKED TO ANY CARRIER.:cool: SO THERE IS A WAY TO UNLOCK YOUR BOOTLOADER :D:D:D:D

Reactions: vitorugo-8

DooMLoRD

Jul 27, 2010
Pune
No its not i JUST BROUGH MY PHONE FROM PORTUGAL FROM A CARRIER CALLED TMN AND AFTER A SIM UNLOCK PAID ABOUT 20 EUROS THE BOOTLOADER UNLOCKED CHANGED TO (YES):D IT SEMS THAT IT WILL ON LET YOU UNLOCK IF YOU HAVE YOUR PHONE UNLOCKED TO ANY CARRIER.:cool: SO THERE IS A WAY TO UNLOCK YOUR BOOTLOADER :D:D:D:D

can u post the link of the website where u got the "sim unlock" done?

generally "sim unlock" opens up the bootloader for unlocking..

championswimmer

Oct 22, 2011
New Delhi
android.championswimmer.tk
can u post the link of the website where u got the "sim unlock" done?

generally "sim unlock" opens up the bootloader for unlocking..

maybe he means he paid to the carrier to get an unlock code?

you know the way it happens... if you want to get out of the contract, just pay the provider and they give you the unlock code...that way?

Sent from my X10S using xda premium

DooMLoRD

Jul 27, 2010
Pune

you know the way it happens... if you want to get out of the contract, just pay the provider and they give you the unlock code...that way?

as far as i know... if u pay provider u will only get SIM UNLOCK not bootloader unlock...

BTW how come u are here (this forum)?

;)

vitorugo-8

Apr 17, 2011

no, he paid someone to do that,for sure. here in Portugal we have to pay 100€ (or more) to the carrier unlock our phone

MCLP

Aug 12, 2009
I think he talk about a 2011 Xperia phone, not the new Sony one.

What are u talking about i have got the xperia s and the methord to unlock it(i just went to a local indian shop and asked to unlock my phone when i went to collect it back they told me that the phone needed a full wipe and when i got home my bootloader status changed to a yes) btw i still have the same firmware that came with the phone when i brough it.

the picture below shows some off the bloatware that came with the phone

Last edited:

Matt1408

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
April 23rd:

What are u talking about before i unlocked my bootloader status was a saying NO but after i unlocked the phone it said YES because the phone was successfully unbranded meaning an successful unlock was done making the bootloader unlockable

April 22nd:

bro just head over to cellunlock site and place ur order they gave me the unlock code within 24 hours it works just fine to unlock the bootloader after that.

Today:

What are u talking about i have got the xperia s and the methord to unlock it(i just went to a local indian shop and asked to unlock my phone when i went to collect it back they told me that the phone needed a full wipe and when i got home my bootloader status changed to a yes) btw i still have the same firmware that came with the phone when i brough it.

the picture below shows some off the bloatware that came with the phone

Soooo, did you get it done by a site or by an "indian guy"? I have proof that using a SIM unlock doesn't change any status of the bootloader. So, where's your proof that your SIM unlocked changed your bootloader?

MCLP

Aug 12, 2009
To start off i got two phones and to finish off i did manage to unlock my bootloader after a sim lock by code and one in my local shop (in fact i did this 3 times as i managed to do it to my cousin phone as well today brand new xperia s from 3 ) if it does not work for you then maybe its because you have a lt26a i used an lt26i but i doubt thats the reason your does not work( if you have tried it that is).cant really explained it how it works i just put the sim lock code and reset the phone and there it was (unlock bootloader-YES)
~I CAN SHOW YOU A SCREEN SHOT SAYING (BOOT-LOADER UNLOCK ALLOWED-YES) BUT THAT FOES NOT PROVE NOTHING SO ITS EITHER YOU TRY IT FOR YOURSELF OR JUST WAIT UNTIL A DEV COMES OUT WITH ANOTHER METHORD.
END-OF-STORY

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Quick tutorial for unlocking & relocking the bootloader of the Xperia S/P/U/Sola.

this is the official way to unlock bootloader

Warning!

This procedure will wipe the /data partition of your phone, so you will loose all ur stored data, settings. SDCARD will NOT BE WIPED!!!

DRM keys WILL be lost forever

why to unlock bootloader?

1. u can flash custom ROMs/Kernels
    2. u dont need to worry if the new firmware can be rooted or not as with unlocked bootloader u can always ROOT ur device
    3. SE/Sony gives sneak-peaks/preview builds of latest OS which requires unlocked bootloaders, as they did with Xperia 2011 line (they had ICS alpha/beta), so who knows may be SE/Sony may give early builds of ICS (JellyBean???) ;)

Most of this is taken from lollylost100's his tutorial from ARC thread (all credits for that concise tutorial go to him, i have elaborated on a few things and added device specific changes)

btw i dont have this device, most of this testing was done on user darkpisces's phone so thanks a lot to him for helping me out!!!

[ before we begin unlocking bootloader ]

• get the IMEI code for ur device: type *#06# in phone dialer to find it out, note only the digits (no dashes)
    • download the fastboot package
    • download the latest FlashTool Xperia Driver Pack and install fastboot drivers (common) & adb drivers for this device from the list!
    • make sure u have a windows PC with USB cable to connect the phone
    • power down ur phone and keeping the Volume Up button pressed connect the USB cable to PC this will trigger FASTBOOT mode and windows will start driver installation, which should be automatically done
    • once drivers are installed just disconnect cable and power on device

[ how to unlock ] (official way)

1. Go to: http://unlockbootloader.sonymobile.com/ and read everything!
    2. At the bottom click 'Start Unlocking the Bootloader'
      First, you should confirm that it is possible to unlock the boot loader of your phone by checking the service menu. In your phone, open the dialler and enter *#*#7378423#*#* to access the service menu.

In your phone, tap Service info > Configuration > Rooting Status. If Bootloader unlock allowed says Yes, then you can continue with the next step. If it says No, or if the status is missing, your device cannot be unlocked.
    3. after u have verified that u can unlock bootloader, scroll to the bottom of the page and click "Continue"
    4. you will get "are u sure prompt" accept it by clicking "yes i am sure" (i assume that u have read an understood it)
    5. then accept the "legal terms"
    6. finally u will get a "Create Unlock request" page, enter your IMEI (sometimes the last digit needs to be removed for this to work), name and email address
    7. You should now receive your unique unlock key, its displayed on screen, SAVE THIS KEY SAFELY
    8. Extract fastboot_with_Android_USB_file.rar and open fastboot folder
    9. Hold SHIFT and right click on the background of the folder
    10. Select 'Open command window here'
    11. Connect your phone in fastboot mode (turn phone off, hold Volume UP button and plug in USB Cable) [make sure drivers are installed as explained above)
    12. In the cmd windows type in fastboot.exe -i 0x0fce getvar version
    13. If a value is returned (it will return 0.5), it means the phone is correctly connected
    14. Type in fastboot.exe -i 0x0fce oem unlock 0xKEY and replace KEY with the key which u received earlier.
    15. You're device should now be bootloader unlocked

If this tutorial is too much for you then itskapil wrote a step-by-step guide (and recorded a video also):
    -Instructions: http://www.theandroidsoul.com/how-to-unlock-bootloader-xperia-arc-play-neo-pro/
    -Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LRH3pC7MhEA
    (the above videos and some steps are for Xperia 2011 devices, but most the steps are same for Xperia S/P/U/Sola)

Info on Relocking bootloader is in next post
    Relocking Bootloader

this Relock FTF is based on the package posted by Blagus in his ARC thread (all credits for this go to him, i have only added the correct loader.sin for this device)

RELOCKING BOOTLOADER WILL ALLOW YOU TO GET NEWEST UPDATES & REPAIR DEVICE USING SEUS/PCC

before we begin relocking the bootloader make sure that u have flashtool download & installed

u can get the latest version of FlashTool from:
    http://androxyde.github.com/Flashtool/

download link is under "Installation" tab

if u have not use FlashTool before read this thread:
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1526866

download this FTF:
    Xperia S -> Xperia-S_Relock_bootloader.ftf
    Xperia U -> http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=26783129#post26783129 (thanks to enigma77x)

flash this FTF via FlashTool

RELOCK FTFs FOR P/U/Sola are under testing! if u are interested in testing kindly contact me via P.M., before u contact me, make sure that u have UNLOCKED the bootloader!

when it says enter flashmode, power down device and keeping VOLUME DOWN button pressed connect usb cable to phone, the device will now enter flashmode (green LED)

after this file is flashed reboot phone

bootloader will now be relocked!!!

incase device doenst boot DO NOT PANIC... u can flash stock firmware FTF anytime to get back to stock ROM... i will post link to working FTF once its available...

P.S.: there is no official way to relock bootloader
    hi DooMLoRD,
    i have created relock bootloader for Xperia U
    http://tiny.cc/ST25i_Relock_Bootloader
    it's working :)
    yea I guess it's pointless locking back the BOOTLOADER but I think with the unofficial way, they know or they have registered the serial key or IMEI which you won't be able to update it to ICS via SEUS or PcCompaninon. Either way like you said, we can use the FTF files to update it to ICS. and I saw when the run ICS on Arc S and Play, I saw that they had to unlock the bootloader to install alpha ICS and it was mentioned there that you might face lotta troubles when you update it to the official ICS, so I'm gonna wait till it gets official ICS cause it'll be out very soon like end of the March.

NO!
    After relock you can use SEUS / PCC / EMMA again. The imei is used to generate the unique unlock-key. Also it gets stored to check if you claim warranty. Arc has showed us that SE is not denying warranty at all if you unlocked. They just decline it if the cause of the failure is a custom rom etc. pp. for example if you ****ed your cpu with overclocking.

SEUS/PCC/EMMA checks TA area for the unlock key, if it is present it reject the phone and refuses to update. The relock Doom posted here is the same way we worked out on Arc. It deletes the unlockkey from TA and this way you are again able to use SEUS/PCC/EMMA.

Hope i enlighted you a bit.

Regards
    manage to do this on my x64 Windows 7.

key thing is to get the right drivers

I download the drivers from here, http://download.theandroidsoul.com/file/unlock xperia arc bootloaders.zip

and use the fastboot drivers from the drivers folder.

then in that few seconds where the phone is in fastboot mode, I update the drivers accordingly.

The problem I think is Windows 7 will automatically redirect the driver installation to default/generic installation if it can't find the driver for the device. So perhaps to avoid it totally it's to use gpedit.msc to stop the redirection of the devices..