[Dev] AOSP Gingerbread

Search This thread

shabbypenguin

Inactive Recognized Developer
May 30, 2010
you wouldnt have a working radio at all, not just 3g. no data no voice calls etc but i mean that of course could be patched in with cm6. as for why samsung/google went with a non hspa+ phone for tmobile i have no idea.. :(

Dameon87

Oct 30, 2008
OnePlus 8
Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra
This is no easy task and in all honesty, I doubt you will get very far. Some of the proprietary crap for the epic we don't even have di18 source. Also, the ext4 crap in 2.6.29 (di18) is broken. Modules compiled against the kernel will not load, and when compiled in kernel, the kernel will not recogize ext4 partitions. I've tried extensively.
Anything you get from di18 is likely not going to compile against anything higher than 2.6.29. Those modules we do have source for would require heavy modification to compile against the new kernel.
Those we do not have source for are not going to load, since the modules were compiled against 2.6.29.
For google to have went with 2.6.35, likely means they used something included in the release or found reason to upgrade.
Either way, good luck, but in all honesty, it probably won't happen before we have the grounds for cm7 on the epic.

You also assume that the nexus s uses the same exact hardware as the epic, in which case you would be wrong. There is a diff bluetooth chip, as well as wifi I believe.
Camera I'm not sure on. Either way, even if you did manage to get a Bootable kernel, you wouldn't get much farther than that.

Not trying to be pessimistic, just trying to be real.
Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk

msponsler

Sep 1, 2010
Harrisburg, PA
This is no easy task and in all honesty, I doubt you will get very far. Some of the proprietary crap for the epic we don't even have di18 source. Also, the ext4 crap in 2.6.29 (di18) is broken. Modules compiled against the kernel will not load, and when compiled in kernel, the kernel will not recogize ext4 partitions. I've tried extensively.
Anything you get from di18 is likely not going to compile against anything higher than 2.6.29. Those modules we do have source for would require heavy modification to compile against the new kernel.
Those we do not have source for are not going to load, since the modules were compiled against 2.6.29.
For google to have went with 2.6.35, likely means they used something included in the release or found reason to upgrade.
Either way, good luck, but in all honesty, it probably won't happen before we have the grounds for cm7 on the epic.

You also assume that the nexus s uses the same exact hardware as the epic, in which case you would be wrong. There is a diff bluetooth chip, as well as wifi I believe.
Camera I'm not sure on. Either way, even if you did manage to get a Bootable kernel, you wouldn't get much farther than that.

I haven't used any of your Roms, so I don't know what kernel rev you use. Do you have any kernel / Samsung module source on got hip I can sift through?

I realize that the chances of success are slim at best, but hey why not give it a shot?

What's the worst that happens? I fail horribly? I can live with that.

Sent from my Samsung-SPH-D700 using XDA App

Reactions: tmuka

akijikan

Oct 17, 2006
I may be mistaken but if you're hoping for source from a 2.2 kernel I don't believe any exists.

Also, terran, protoss, or zerg?

msponsler

Sep 1, 2010
Harrisburg, PA
I may be mistaken but if you're hoping for source from a 2.2 kernel I don't believe any exists.

Also, terran, protoss, or zerg?

No, it doesn't exist officially from samsung. But others have 2.6.3x running on 2.2 mods.
Perhaps incorrectly, I'm taking a standard linux approach to this. Granted andriod is a different beast, but 15 years of professional linux administration has me approaching this a certain way.

And protoss.

schnowdapowda

Jun 7, 2010
Dallas, TX Yaurdme?
@ OP. There's a guy working on a gingerbread port for the epic based off the nexus s. Tmillar08 I believe. You should get in touch with him he's been working on it since the new nexus dropped.

mcdader

Jan 20, 2008
Not sure where to put this sorry if it is in wrong place. Rep at ces says froyo is in carriers hands and 2.3 has been seen on epic. Rep doubts carriers will release it, but hopes carriers will go straight to 2.3. Said with new phones coming out with 2.3 the carriers don't want to release updates to improve sales of new devices.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using XDA App

heathmcabee

Feb 9, 2008
Not sure where to put this sorry if it is in wrong place. Rep at ces says froyo is in carriers hands and 2.3 has been seen on epic. Rep doubts carriers will release it, but hopes carriers will go straight to 2.3. Said with new phones coming out with 2.3 the carriers don't want to release updates to improve sales of new devices.

Makes total sense, and sadly could be true. Just the way it goes with companys that wanna make a profit and not please their customer base.

On the bright side, these guys are good at what they do and we should see a 2.3 release something soon!

Whosdaman

May 9, 2008
Gainesville, Florida

Please stay on topic.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Yeah, I know...let's get a stable Froyo first.

But...

I pulled the 2.3.1 (gingerbread) source, and it's currently building. I hit a couple of snags, but I'm off and running so far.

I've also compiled the latest 2.6.36 kernel -- compiled, not tested! Don't get excited just yet.

I'm not going to lie, I'm green to android. But I've worked with Linux professionally for 15+ years. I've been compiling kernels since Linus released 2.0 oh so long ago. Building Linux x86 from scratch (go gentoo linux!) is nothing new to me. But android and arm...ehh...bear with me.

So is anyone else trying to do this? I'd like to collaborate and hear about your progress and any problems you've had. No need to try to reinvent wheels or anything.

Step 1 is getting it to boot...
    I have it just about booting(;

Did you build gingerbread from source?

What kernel are you using?

I built a 2.6.36 last night...but the more I thought about it, the more I realized it doesn't do me any good as it is right now.

I've downloaded samsung's kernel source for 2.6.29 and I'm trying to get the modules for the video, radio, etc... to compile with 2.6.36.

The nexus s is using 2.6.35, which is fine when it comes to the video drivers, wifi, and such....but it doesn't do us any good when it comes to 3G because tmobile doesn't use CDMA, so it wouldn't have the same radio kernel modules.

I'm currently running noobnl's cyanogenmod (froyo) on my epic, and that has a 2.6.32.9 kernel. I'll have to take a closer look at how you built that kernel.
    I think its time all the epic devs jumped onboard with this and all collaborate as a team, if everyone were to work on this together I honestly believe it could get done

Sent from my Epic 4g
    My golden retriever, Rupert, told me.

My black lab, Nibbler, also concurred. I took their word for it.

Honestly, I just assumed it was HSPA+. It's CDMA and not compatible with Sprint's network, which is what matters.

uhh ok well i think you might have soem things mixed up so ill try to give teh laymans of it

GSM:
    worldwide standard
    uses analog (1G)
    edge (akin to dialup data)
    3g (umts/wcdma)
    Hspa+ (4g)

CDMA:
    more americanized standard
    analog (1g)
    cdmaone (dialup/digital version of cdma)
    evdo (3g)
    4g (LTE/wimax)

so as you see the nexus s is not compatblie with any cdma carriers, in fact its barely compatble with ATT and tmobile.. (well i mean it "works" on either but tmo gets 3g data only and att i think gets edge)

I haven't used any of your Roms, so I don't know what kernel rev you use. Do you have any kernel / Samsung module source on got hip I can sift through?

I realize that the chances of success are slim at best, but hey why not give it a shot?

What's the worst that happens? I fail horribly? I can live with that.