2 amp car charger?

Search This thread

UpsideDownAce

Nov 11, 2012
So, I know the Note 2 uses a 2 amp charger. Are there any good car chargers that can output in 2 amps? I currently am using a Motorola one, and I think it's just 1 amp. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks! :D

Buzz20

Nov 7, 2012
My iphone works with 2amp car charger, I bought one for it, this is I am using dual usb car charger 2amp

Costed me $5.12, but worth, works well

I bought one of these from a retail store
372.jpg

didn't want to risk blowing up my phone or car with a $5 fake from ebay

Last edited:

mdt73

Jul 11, 2011
Clarksville
The motorola one you have is still a beast when it comes to recharging. I have a few of them, one in each car and an additional one for business trips. While running gps, streaming music, and the screen on, my battery still recharges. I have other 2.1 mAh chargers, but always come back to the motorola one. Especially since they are around $5 on amazon.

Erik_T

Sep 15, 2011
The motorola one you have is still a beast when it comes to recharging. I have a few of them, one in each car and an additional one for business trips. While running gps, streaming music, and the screen on, my battery still recharges. I have other 2.1 mAh chargers, but always come back to the motorola one. Especially since they are around $5 on amazon.

Can you just paste a link on here so we can order?

That would be awesome. :)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk 2

farfromovin

Aug 15, 2011
Oxnard, CA
Finally an Android phone that charges FAST. My Galaxy Nexus topped out around 800-950mA no matter how it was charged.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

TheFletch

Dec 20, 2006
Souther California
thefletch.net
Correct me if I'm wrong, but the Motorola and the Samsung connectors aren't compatible. The charger in the link is strictly Motorola only. What am I missing?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using xda app-developers app

Chuck_IV

Jan 1, 2009
Connecticut

I believe this is a 1A charger. I have the exact same one, which I used on my EVO 3D.

I found a 2A car charger on the shelf at Wal-Mart for $8. Works fine for me.

Hope it wasn't the one I found. It SAYS 2A on the box but it has 2 USB ports and thus feeds 1A PER PORT.

mdt73

Jul 11, 2011
Clarksville

That's the exact one I use as well. To give you an example, the Note 2 just can't be charged via standard USB port. 450mAh is not enough. I will see if I can do some testing to show you the differences visually this week.

Driving 45 min to pick up the last 64gb microSD card for sale in TN at radio shack (for $39) I had bluetooth on, sharing my data connection with my wifes tablet via foxfi, and using gps, the motorola still can charge the battery while all that was running. At my office, we would call that FM, because I can't really explain how it works just as good as my $15 2.1mAh charger.

erick161

Mar 10, 2011
What app are you guys using to measure charging rate?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using xda app-developers app

ChrisEmerson

Feb 7, 2012
Nottingham, UK
I use a 3A charger in my car, but it's all wired in. Got myself one of these: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DC-DC-Con...plies_ET&var=560164310799&hash=item3ccbaa5de8 , a 3 way switch, 2 'add-a-fuse' things and wired it all up behind the dashboard with just my Micro USB cable poking out in the drivers side of the dashboard, which plugged into my old car cradle when I had the HTC Sensation. The switch is mounted in one of the blanking plates down by my right knee (right hand drive) and lets me choose between off, on and on-with-ignition for the charger. At the moment I have to plug it into the bottom of the Note 2 myself but I'm planning next to de the wireless charging mod, and integrate the charger into the cradle I have, with NFC also in there to activate car mode when I put the phone in the cradle for (IMO) the perfect solution with no wires trailed all over the car, and my lighter socket free for other things :D

It was all pretty cheap as well, and an easy mod to do - even though the cradle is on the opposite side of the car to the fuse box and I had to pull out the whole radio and centre console to route the wires... all hidden away now though.

I'll be doing the same on my next car as well.

Last edited:

Peter Galbavy

Jul 26, 2010
I was looking at *low profile* dual USB ported chargers but it appears from my lack of knowledge that these are all wired for iPad charging and without a specific charging cable they will only supply max 1A to the Note 2. Can someone with more technical knowledge of the vagaries of USB power please clarify in simple terms?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Wow, sounds like this thread is heating up just like some of your 2A chargers :)

I'm just going to state the facts based on what I have tested and reviewed. First of all, download Galaxy Charging Current app. I found it to be relatively accurate with my wall/car charger calculations.

The reason why your charger is overheating is very simple. You are converting AC to DC (wall charger) or DC to DC (car charger). Cheap electronic components with thin wires/board traces will be loosing it's efficiency during conversion - lose of that energy is released through a heat. Too much of it and you will burn ICs and can melt housing of your converter.

Thin usb cables (those designed for PC with 500mA usb ports) will have too much resistance - results in loses so you can't charge at full speed. Get Monoprice 24awg/28awg usb cables with a ferrite filter/bead that have thick power wires which are able to handle up to 3A of current and will isolate power wires from data wires.

Some wall/car chargers will dual charging ports partition one for Apple and the other one for Android. I found some charger on amazon that will not charge Note 2 from apple port. The one I can recommend which I have reviewed in the forum is from Anker where you can charge your Note 2 at full 2A charging speed from Apple port. BUT, you need to have a thicker usb cable. If you use a thin cable - its a bottleneck that will prevent you from charging at full speed. Other Android devices can charge from Apple port but at slower speed. I tried it with my Nexus 7 tablets, had two charging up from both Anker charger ports (apple and android ports) and starting from the same battery level the one from android got charged up faster. I don't know what Samsung did with their charging port to piss off Apple, but they figured out a circuit to take full advantage of full charging speed from apple designated chargers. Again, I'm speaking from my own experience of testing/reviewing Anker and iSmooth wall and car chargers with dual output, one designated for android and the other one for apple. Those two had no issues charing Note 2 at full speed from Apple port.
    If you have a 5 Below near you, they have a 2.1 amp dual for 5 bucks

Sent from my SPH-L900 using xda premium
    Can you just paste a link on here so we can order?

That would be awesome. :)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk 2

This is the charger I currently have

http://www.amazon.com/Motorola-Vehicle-Adapter-micro-USB-Charger/dp/B000S5Q9CA/ref=pd_cp_cps_0
    Somewhere I read that the Galaxy Tab 2.0 uses the same charger specs as our GN2. I found a Samsung OEM car Charger Samsung Galaxy Tab Detachable Car Charger with USB to 30 Pin Data Cable . It say's Samsung on the side at 5v 2000ma and puts the phone into AC charge mode.

Here are the results:
    2013-02-24-08-17-58.jpg
    2013-02-24-08-18-12.jpg
    As you can see I have the about 8% for 10 minutes which seems decent to me.
    I also ordered on of these to try ReVIVE Series DualFLUX DC to USB Rapid Car Charger

Any thoughts on both choices?
    Ok here is the shot from when I got to work and was going to unplug

uploadfromtaptalk1353425358259.jpg
    84% and note the time. My commute was about 20 minutes. I had gps running during my commute.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using xda app-developers app