[THOR/RECOVERY LOCKED] Safestrap Recovery v3.72/v3.75 [B02 2014-07-03]

Search This thread

Hashcode

Senior Recognized Developer
Sep 3, 2011
ATTENTION: I will be stopping official Safestrap support on 9/1/2014. For more information please see:
https://plus.google.com/111109372727398356624/posts/AtoJ3xLj35b

*** DISCLAIMER ***
I work on projects that may brick your device. Don't sue me, hate me or try and kill my dog if that happens. I will feel bad the community will feel bad and hopefully we'll find a way to get you going again. But, the very nature of my projects involves a certain amount of risk taken by YOU. And by using the projects that I work on, you've accepted that fact.

PLEASE PLEASE BE VERY CAREFUL WITH SAFESTRAP!!
MAKE A BACKUP OF STOCK RIGHT AFTER YOU GET SAFESTRAP INSTALLED SO THAT YOU HAVE SOME KIND OF DISASTER RECOVERY.
THEN YOU CAN RESTORE IT TO A ROM-SLOT (AFTER YOU MAKE ONE).
ONLY MODIFY ROM-SLOT FILES. LEAVE YOUR STOCK ROM ALONE!!

WARNING: THERE IS AN UNKNOWN ISSUE WHERE IF YOU HAVE ENCRYPTION ENABLED AND INSTALL SS IT BOOTLOOPS. IF YOU FIT THIS DESCRIPTION PLEASE STAY AWAY FROM SAFESTRAP FOR NOW.

UNKNOWN ISSUE: If you try and start Wifi and the device crashes/reboots, try turning on bluetooth prior to enabling wifi and see if that works.

CURRENT PROJECT STATUS:
BETA-STABLE

WHAT IS SAFESTRAP?

Safestrap is a Bootstrap / Recovery for locked bootloader phones. The goal is to avoid touching your primary system (I'll call this "stock" system) and only flash or make large changes to another place on your phone that Safestrap treats as a "2nd system" (in this case, it's a series of virtual ROM slots located on the internal emmc area: "/sdcard"). Once installed, you will see a "Splashscreen" giving you the option to hit "menu" to enter recovery. The recovery portion of Safestrap is now based on TWRP 2.7.x.x (a touch based recovery) and you can perform .zip installs, backups and restores here. The additional features I've added to TWRP are mostly located under the "Boot Options" menu:
  1. Here you can create virtual ROM-slots for flashing ROMs. These ROM-slots allow for different sizes of /system, /data and /cache partitions. The defaults *SHOULD* be good enough for flashing the stock-based ROMs.

NOTE: The bigger you make these partition the less room you will have to make other ROM-slots.
  2. You can activate a new ROM-slot by choosing the slot you wish to make active and then selecting the "Activate" button. Once active, you will see the "rom-slot#" up in the top of the screen shown in green. If you make the "stock" ROM active, then you can see it in the top shown in red.
  3. Once a ROM-slot is active, all actions you would normally perform using TWRP are directed to that ROM-slot. For example, "Install" to flash a .zip, backup and restore.
  4. For more information you can read up here:
    http://blog.hash-of-codes.com/how-to-safestrap/

HOW DO I INSTALL SAFESTRAP?
  1. Requirement: Rooted w/ SuperSU installed
  2. Requirement: Allow APK install from Unknown Sources
  3. Download the Safestrap APK
  4. Find the APK using a Filemanager tool and open it on your device, then click "Install".
  5. (If updating from an existing Safestrap you might be warned that this will over-write the existing installation. Click the "Yes" equivalent to this message.)
  6. Once installed, open up the Safestrap application as you would any other app.
  7. Agree to the disclaimer that you won't try to sue me and hunt me down with a rifle if you manage to break your phone..
  8. Then use the "Install Recovery" button. You should see the current version down in the lower left corner of the window. And the "Status:" should say "Installed" when you're done.
  9. From there you can reboot and you *should* see a new splash screen during the boot up. While this is showing you can enter Safestrap Recovery using the [ menu ] button.
  10. That's it for the installation! Read below for a brief overview of Safestrap Recovery v3.x

HOW DO I ENTER RECOVERY?

During each reboot a splashscreen will be displayed showing whether the device is running a rom-slot or on the "Stock ROM".
Press the button shown on the screen to either enter "RECOVERY" or "CONTINUE" booting.

HOW DO I UPGRADE SAFESTRAP?
  • Push the APK up to your sdcard.
  • Boot back into the "stock" rom-slot.
  • Go into your old Safestrap app and use the "Uninstall Recovery" button
  • Open an "explorer" of some sort (ESFileExplorer, etc)
  • Browse to where you pushed the APK
  • Click on it and install like normal
  • Once installed, open the APK
  • Grant SU access
  • Use the "Install Recovery" button
  • All set, now you can reboot and re-activate whatever rom-slot you were using

DOWNLOADS:
CONFIRM YOUR STOCK OS VERSION BELOW AND THAT YOU ARE USING THE KINDLE FIRE HDX 7" (THOR)
[13.3.2.1 and earlier] LATEST FILE: Safestrap-Thor-3.72.apk
[13.3.2.3.2 and later] LATEST FILE: Safestrap-Thor-3.75-os3.2.4-B02.apk
Mirror 1: Crackflasher Download
Mirror 2: Goo.im Download

Here's an amazon-os .zip that can be used on rom-slots for re-flashing the OS -- MUST MATCH STOCK ROM:

THOR ONLY (HDX 7") 13.3.1.0: Download from goo.im
md5sum: 24fee10d8c6b0dbf583465baa938e842

It's the straight Amazon OS:
  • not DeOdexed
  • will not stop OTAs
  • is not rooted
  • the only changes I made, were to strip out the boot.img or modem.img flashing stuff.

To root, I recommend flashing SuperSU.zip from here and flash in Safestrap to the active rom-slot after flashing the ROM:
http://download.chainfire.eu/supersu

As of version 3.x, Safestrap Recovery is now based on TWRP. For more on TWRP you can visit their website: http://www.teamw.in/

WARNING: Safestrap is heavily modified to be "Safe" for your device. Do not download TWRP from their website and expect it to work the same way. Also TWRP does not support Safestrap, tho some issues that may come up will be TWRP dependant, please try and contact myself or look on the forums for your device for answers before hunting down TWRP people. They won't be able to help w/ Safestrap specific questions.

For the purposes of direct user testing I've established a channel on freenode.net IRC: #safestrap
I'm in the channel mostly all the time, but may not be active for discussion.

Special Thanks To
DeesTroy & TeamWin for all their hard work making TWRP such a fantastic recovery

Attachments

• device-2013-12-05-090204.png
    device-2013-12-05-090204.png
    47.1 KB · Views: 7,171
  • IMG_20131205_105622998.jpg
    IMG_20131205_105622998.jpg
    535.7 KB · Views: 7,811
  • IMG_20131205_105638134.jpg
    IMG_20131205_105638134.jpg
    531.3 KB · Views: 6,885
  • IMG_20131205_105650425.jpg
    IMG_20131205_105650425.jpg
    538.3 KB · Views: 6,595
Last edited:

Hashcode

Sep 3, 2011
For those that missed it in the 1st post:

MAKE A BACKUP OF STOCK RIGHT AFTER YOU GET SAFESTRAP INSTALLED SO THAT YOU HAVE SOME KIND OF DISASTER RECOVERY.

KNOWN ISSUES WHEN USING ROM-SLOTS (The ROMs are kept on loop device mounted partitions)
1. In theory you will lose an extra 3-4 percent battery compared to normal usage from 100% to 0% due to the extra read/write work involved when using ROM-slots.
2. The /data partition is kept separate from the "/sdcard" contents on SS ROMs. This causes the Storage settings to only show the size of the loopback data partition and then it shows "used" which includes the "sdcard" + /data so this can look odd at times (larger usage than partition size). It doesn't have any adverse affects that I know of.
3. No custom kernel flashing support at this time. Don't try it. It won't work. All kernels need to be signed by Amazon at the moment.

CHANGELOG:
  • [v3.75-B02]Bugfix rom-slot booting
  • [v3.75-B01]TWRP 2.7.1.0 update + display fix for 13.3.2.3.2/13.3.2.4
  • [v3.72]TWRP 2.7.0.0 update. *** This includes a bugfix for backup time showing correctly ***
  • [v3.72]Raised /data partition size to 16gb
  • [v3.72]Swapped "Reboot" -> "Download" mode to "Reboot" -> "Bootloader" (places you in fastboot mode)
  • [v3.70-B01]Seems like I have a solid fix for the "snow" effect when getting into Safestrap sometimes
  • [v3.70-B01]System partition now matches stock EXACTLY. You can't even change it in the settings due to the way I'm creating it during rom-slot creation. It's not a bug, that's on purpose. That being said, there should be plenty of room in that space to do what we want.
  • [v3.70-B01]Battery % now being displayed correctly in recovery
  • [v3.70-B01]Updated to latest Safestrap sources
  • [v3.65-B01]Initial release for Thor (Kindle HDX 7")

Last edited:

zooster

Oct 14, 2007
I'm new to safestrap world. Can you tell me if there are downside of any sort using safestrap?
I mean, are roms installed via safestrap slower or limited under any aspect? I know it's the only way atm, but just asking...

Hashcode

Sep 3, 2011
I'm new to safestrap world. Can you tell me if there are downside of any sort using safestrap?
I mean, are roms installed via safestrap slower or limited under any aspect? I know it's the only way atm, but just asking...

GOOD QUESTION!

The ROMs are kept on loop device mounted partitions. This causes a few known issues:
1. In theory you will lose an extra 3-4 percent battery compared to normal usage from 100% to 0% due to the extra read/write work involved when using ROM-slots.
2. The /data partition is kept separate from the "/sdcard" contents on SS ROMs. This causes the Storage settings to only show the size of the loopback data partition and then it shows "used" which includes the "sdcard" + /data so this can look odd at times (larger usage than partition size). It doesn't have any adverse affects that I know of.
3. No custom kernel flashing support at this time. Don't try it. It won't work. All kernels need to be signed by Amazon at the moment.

zooster

Oct 14, 2007
GOOD QUESTION!

The ROMs are kept on loop device mounted partitions. This causes a few known issues:

Thank you for the answer.
I'm not yet an owner of this tab. I'd really want to buy this beast (8.9), but the fireOS is stopping me. So I'm eagerly awaiting for a custom rom. Locked bootloader "turned me off" :)
So, 1) do you think safestrap can be a solution for a real daily driving custom rom (I guess CM)? Or just something to try/play with?
2) is there any chance/hope to unlock that armored bootloader?

Last edited:

r3pwn

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jul 11, 2012
r3pwn.com
Thank you for the answer.
I'm not yet an owner of this tab. I'd really want to buy this beast (8.9), but the fireOS is stopping me. So I'm eagerly awaiting for a custom rom. Locked bootloader "turned me off" :)
So, 1) do you think safestrap can be a solution for a real daily driving custom rom (I guess CM)? Or just something to try/play with?
2) is there any chance/hope to unlock that armored bootloader?

Sorry, but not yet. I talked to Hashcode and he was saying that since we can't use custom kernels yet, we can't use AOSP (Paranoid Android, Cyanogenmod, AOKP, CarbonROM, etc.) roms. It's okay, though. I plan on making a rom that will give you as close to CM experience as possible while still staying on an Amazon ROM. :)

As for the question regarding bootloader unlock, I'm not sure. I'm still in the process of experimenting with different things. I haven't had time recently though.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

DontPushButtons

Apr 22, 2012
Pittsburg
Google Pixel 6 Pro
Reporting back - Safestrap worked fine for me. Haven't done anything but make a backup of stock yet, but everything seems to be in order. Looking forward to have something to flash :p.

Thanks again.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Hashcode

cdub50

Jul 21, 2007
Installed and currently running a backup. Would it be a good idea once we get a flashable rom to uninstall all apps from stock to make as much free space as possible? Thanks again Hash for your hard work on this next best thing to an unlocked bootloader.

_Alex_

Retired Senior Moderator
Aug 21, 2005
San Jose, CA
Noticed that there is some graphics driver issues leaving static / snow on occasion. Other than that, great tool, it saved me once already. Thanks Hashcode!

Faznx92

Nov 18, 2013
Static / Snow in recovery?

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

If I go into the safestrap app then reboot into recover everything works fine and looks fine. If I shutdown the hdx then enter the recovery on power up it looks snowy BUT is still usable. Check it out.

Attachments

• Optimized-1.jpg
    Optimized-1.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 556
  • Optimized-2.jpg
    Optimized-2.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 586
  • Optimized-3.jpg
    Optimized-3.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 535
  • Optimized-4.jpg
    Optimized-4.jpg
    202.4 KB · Views: 534
Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    ATTENTION: I will be stopping official Safestrap support on 9/1/2014. For more information please see:
    https://plus.google.com/111109372727398356624/posts/AtoJ3xLj35b

*** DISCLAIMER ***
    I work on projects that may brick your device. Don't sue me, hate me or try and kill my dog if that happens. I will feel bad the community will feel bad and hopefully we'll find a way to get you going again. But, the very nature of my projects involves a certain amount of risk taken by YOU. And by using the projects that I work on, you've accepted that fact.

WARNING: THERE IS AN UNKNOWN ISSUE WHERE IF YOU HAVE ENCRYPTION ENABLED AND INSTALL SS IT BOOTLOOPS. IF YOU FIT THIS DESCRIPTION PLEASE STAY AWAY FROM SAFESTRAP FOR NOW.

UNKNOWN ISSUE: If you try and start Wifi and the device crashes/reboots, try turning on bluetooth prior to enabling wifi and see if that works.

CURRENT PROJECT STATUS:
    BETA-STABLE

WHAT IS SAFESTRAP?

Safestrap is a Bootstrap / Recovery for locked bootloader phones. The goal is to avoid touching your primary system (I'll call this "stock" system) and only flash or make large changes to another place on your phone that Safestrap treats as a "2nd system" (in this case, it's a series of virtual ROM slots located on the internal emmc area: "/sdcard"). Once installed, you will see a "Splashscreen" giving you the option to hit "menu" to enter recovery. The recovery portion of Safestrap is now based on TWRP 2.7.x.x (a touch based recovery) and you can perform .zip installs, backups and restores here. The additional features I've added to TWRP are mostly located under the "Boot Options" menu:
    1. Here you can create virtual ROM-slots for flashing ROMs. These ROM-slots allow for different sizes of /system, /data and /cache partitions. The defaults *SHOULD* be good enough for flashing the stock-based ROMs.

NOTE: The bigger you make these partition the less room you will have to make other ROM-slots.
    2. You can activate a new ROM-slot by choosing the slot you wish to make active and then selecting the "Activate" button. Once active, you will see the "rom-slot#" up in the top of the screen shown in green. If you make the "stock" ROM active, then you can see it in the top shown in red.
    3. Once a ROM-slot is active, all actions you would normally perform using TWRP are directed to that ROM-slot. For example, "Install" to flash a .zip, backup and restore.
    4. For more information you can read up here:
      http://blog.hash-of-codes.com/how-to-safestrap/

HOW DO I INSTALL SAFESTRAP?
    1. Requirement: Rooted w/ SuperSU installed
    2. Requirement: Allow APK install from Unknown Sources
    3. Download the Safestrap APK
    4. Find the APK using a Filemanager tool and open it on your device, then click "Install".
    5. (If updating from an existing Safestrap you might be warned that this will over-write the existing installation. Click the "Yes" equivalent to this message.)
    6. Once installed, open up the Safestrap application as you would any other app.
    7. Agree to the disclaimer that you won't try to sue me and hunt me down with a rifle if you manage to break your phone..
    8. Then use the "Install Recovery" button. You should see the current version down in the lower left corner of the window. And the "Status:" should say "Installed" when you're done.
    9. From there you can reboot and you *should* see a new splash screen during the boot up. While this is showing you can enter Safestrap Recovery using the [ menu ] button.
    10. That's it for the installation! Read below for a brief overview of Safestrap Recovery v3.x

HOW DO I ENTER RECOVERY?

During each reboot a splashscreen will be displayed showing whether the device is running a rom-slot or on the "Stock ROM".
    Press the button shown on the screen to either enter "RECOVERY" or "CONTINUE" booting.

• Grant SU access

DOWNLOADS:
    CONFIRM YOUR STOCK OS VERSION BELOW AND THAT YOU ARE USING THE KINDLE FIRE HDX 7" (THOR)
    [13.3.2.1 and earlier] LATEST FILE: Safestrap-Thor-3.72.apk
    [13.3.2.3.2 and later] LATEST FILE: Safestrap-Thor-3.75-os3.2.4-B02.apk
    Mirror 2: Goo.im Download

Here's an amazon-os .zip that can be used on rom-slots for re-flashing the OS -- MUST MATCH STOCK ROM:

THOR ONLY (HDX 7") 13.3.1.0: Download from goo.im

• not DeOdexed
    • will not stop OTAs
    • is not rooted
    • the only changes I made, were to strip out the boot.img or modem.img flashing stuff.

To root, I recommend flashing SuperSU.zip from here and flash in Safestrap to the active rom-slot after flashing the ROM:

As of version 3.x, Safestrap Recovery is now based on TWRP. For more on TWRP you can visit their website: http://www.teamw.in/

WARNING: Safestrap is heavily modified to be "Safe" for your device. Do not download TWRP from their website and expect it to work the same way. Also TWRP does not support Safestrap, tho some issues that may come up will be TWRP dependant, please try and contact myself or look on the forums for your device for answers before hunting down TWRP people. They won't be able to help w/ Safestrap specific questions.

For the purposes of direct user testing I've established a channel on freenode.net IRC: #safestrap
    I'm in the channel mostly all the time, but may not be active for discussion.

Special Thanks To
    DeesTroy & TeamWin for all their hard work making TWRP such a fantastic recovery
    For those that missed it in the 1st post:

KNOWN ISSUES WHEN USING ROM-SLOTS (The ROMs are kept on loop device mounted partitions)

CHANGELOG:
    • [v3.75-B02]Bugfix rom-slot booting
    • [v3.75-B01]TWRP 2.7.1.0 update + display fix for 13.3.2.3.2/13.3.2.4
    • [v3.72]TWRP 2.7.0.0 update. *** This includes a bugfix for backup time showing correctly ***
    • [v3.72]Raised /data partition size to 16gb
    • [v3.72]Swapped "Reboot" -> "Download" mode to "Reboot" -> "Bootloader" (places you in fastboot mode)
    • [v3.70-B01]Seems like I have a solid fix for the "snow" effect when getting into Safestrap sometimes
    • [v3.70-B01]System partition now matches stock EXACTLY. You can't even change it in the settings due to the way I'm creating it during rom-slot creation. It's not a bug, that's on purpose. That being said, there should be plenty of room in that space to do what we want.
    • [v3.65-B01]Initial release for Thor (Kindle HDX 7")
    I just saw the posts regarding the new update woes.

I may need a day or 2 to debug the update... I'm always nervous when patching Amazon's stuff.

I also need to d/l the new sources as well.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
    Safestrap update for those on 13.3.2.3.2/13.3.2.4 ONLY

• Grant SU access

CHANGELOG:
    • [v3.75]TWRP 2.7.1.0 update + display fix for 13.3.2.3.2/13.3.2.4

DOWNLOADS:
    [13.3.2.3.2 and later] LATEST FILE: Safestrap-Thor-3.75-os3.2.4-B01.apk
    Mirror 2: Goo.im Download (May not be showing up here yet)

Enjoy
    Updated the OP for a new v3.70 build for the Kindle Fire HDX 7" (ONLY!)

DOWNLOADS:
    CONFIRM THAT YOU ARE USING THE KINDLE FIRE HDX 7" (THOR) DEVICE (8.9" NOT SUPPORTED ATM)
    LATEST FILE: Safestrap-Thor-3.70-B01.apk
    Mirror 1 (Goo.im) http://goo.im/devs/Hashcode/thor/safestrap

[ NOTE: RECREATE ALL ROM-SLOTS FOR v3.70, SIZE INCREASED / PROCESS CHANGED ]

CHANGELOG:

Here's an amazon-os-13.3.1.0 .zip that can be used on rom-slots for re-flashing the OS:
    Download from goo.im

• not DeOdexed
    • will not stop OTAs
    • is not rooted

I'm guessing devs can grab that .zip and modify it till their hearts content.