Oh sonofa... I used Flashify to update TWRP and now I'm black screened. Please help

Search This thread

Mixmode

May 26, 2012
I was trying to update TWRP so I can install a 4.4 ROM and I installed Flashify (I read this was the easiest way) then flashed TWRP 2.6.3.1 and when I rebooted it went right to a black screen. When it boots I see the Samsung screen for just a sec and tiny blue words in the left corner that says something like 'recovery booting'. I've tried a hard boot (volume ^ + home then power on, right?) Well the phone buzzes, SAMSUNG flashes for a millisecond then blaxk, Maybe I'm not doing the hard boot correctly? But it's hard to tell. I'm trying to get back to TWRP to restore a backup image!

Please help and thank you.

Last edited:

BadUsername

Mar 20, 2013
I was trying to update TWRP so I can install a 4.4 ROM and I installed Flashify (I read this was the easiest way) then flashed TWRP 2.6.3.1 and when I rebooted it went right to a black screen. When it boots I see the Samsung screen for just a sec and tiny blue words in the left corner that says something like 'recovery booting'. I've tried a hard boot (volume ^ + home then power on, right?) Well the phone buzzes, SAMSUNG flashes for a millisecond then blaxk, Maybe I'm not doing the hard boot correctly? But it's hard to tell. I'm trying to get back to TWRP to restore a backup image!

Try to hold volume up + home + power until you see the blue text. Let go of the power button but keep holding volume up + home until it Boots into recovery.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Reactions: Mixmode

Mixmode

May 26, 2012
Try to hold volume up + home + power until you see the blue text. Let go of the power button but keep holding volume up + home until it Boots into recovery.

I'm doing that, or trying to but I'm still getting nothing. Problem is, I cant tell when the phone is on or off, I've done it by pulling the battery and by long pressing the power. I'm holding vol ^ + home + power, as soon as the blue text shows, I release only power and nothing, black screen. UUUUGH

I'm trying it over and over but still not getting anywhere.

Last edited:

BadUsername

Mar 20, 2013
I'm doing that, or trying to but I'm still getting nothing. Problem is, I cant tell when the phone is on or off, I've done it by pulling the battery and by long pressing the power. I'm holding vol ^ + home + power, as soon as the blue text shows, I release only power and nothing, black screen. UUUUGH

I'm trying it over and over but still not getting anywhere.

Hmm, you only have access to Odin mode right?

Download the latest recovery and try to flash it with Odin:
http://techerrata.com/browse/twrp2/d2vzw

I have a feeling this isn't going to work, but it might let you boot into recovery. And do you have your backups on the internal or external SD card?

Edit: I forgot to mention to make sure to use the.Tar.Md5 file, not the .img file.

Last edited:

Mixmode

May 26, 2012
Hmm, you only have access to Odin mode right?

Download the latest recovery and try to flash it with Odin:
http://techerrata.com/browse/twrp2/d2vzw

I have a feeling this isn't going to work, but it might let you boot into recovery. And do you have your backups on the internal or external SD card?

I just got it into ODIN mode. says Downloading dont turn off. I plugged in USB and it installed properly but it's not shown in 'My Computer'. I haven't used ODIN in a long time, what do I do now? Do I DL the TWRP .img or .tar?

SCH-I535
CUSTOM BINARY DOWNLOAD: Yes (1 counts)
CURRENT BINARY: Custom
SYSTEM STATUS: Custom
QUALCOMM SECUREBOOT: ENABLE

OK I have the .TAR file downloaded. It seems to be frozen on this Downloading dont turn off screen.

Last edited:

BadUsername

Mar 20, 2013
I just got it into ODIN mode. says Downloading dont turn off. I plugged in USB and it installed properly. I haven't used ODIN in a long time, what do I do now? Do I DL the TWRP .img or .tar?

SCH-I535
CUSTOM BINARY DOWNLOAD: Yes (1 counts)
CURRENT BINARY: Custom
SYSTEM STATUS: Custom
QUALCOMM SECUREBOOT: ENABLE

Download the .tar and extract the tar.md5 file.

Put the tar.md5 file into the pda slot, make sure your phone is connected, and it'll reboot by itself.

If it doesn't reboot properly, try to pull the battery and force it into recovery again like before.

---------- Post added at 07:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:35 PM ----------

OK I have the .TAR file downloaded. It seems to be frozen on this Downloading dont turn off screen.

It's supposed to do that.

Mixmode

May 26, 2012

Put the tar.md5 file into the pda slot, make sure your phone is connected, and it'll reboot by itself.

If it doesn't reboot properly, try to pull the battery and force it into recovery again like before.

So weird... the phone seemed to be stuck in the Downloading screen so I rebooted it and it went right to my last backup image so I was gonna reboot to recovery so I can wipe any junk away and restore my most recent image and it went back to the black screen. OK I downloaded ODIN again and its coming back to me. I'll report back in just a few.

BadUsername

Mar 20, 2013
So weird... the phone seemed to be stuck in the Downloading screen so I rebooted it and it went right to my last backup image so I was gonna reboot to recovery so I can wipe any junk away and restore my most recent image and it went back to the black screen. OK I downloaded ODIN again and its coming back to me. I'll report back in just a few.

If you can get into a rom, it's better just to use that to update a recovery, just don't use flashify this time.

We'll see how this goes.

Mixmode

May 26, 2012

---------- Post added at 07:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:35 PM ----------

It's supposed to do that.

Ok I think that fixed it. I am on TWRP 2.6.3.1 restoring a backup I made earlier as we speak. THANK YOU!

Btw, what caused all of this was I flashed the Dirty Unicorn 4.3 and lost my mobile data. I went on to mobile providers and its a crap shoot when picking one that works consistently...

CDMA/EvDo auto
LTE/CDMA/EvDo
LTE/CDMA/EvDo/GSM/WCDMA

each on of those have worked before but none work every time and sometimes I will have tried to use them all several times before one finally kicks on. But if I reboot or even shut off data then back on it farks everything up again.
So I was trying to go to a 4.4... is there anything else I need to do to flash a 4.4 rom? I was thinking of trying the Cyanfox. Liquid Smooth became buggy so I went to Dirty Unicorn. But I gotta have mobile data

BadUsername

Mar 20, 2013
Ok I think that fixed it. I am on TWRP 2.6.3.1 restoring a backup I made earlier as we speak. THANK YOU!

Btw, what caused all of this was I flashed the Dirty Unicorn 4.3 and lost my mobile data. I went on to mobile providers and its a crap shoot when picking one that works consistently...

CDMA/EvDo auto
LTE/CDMA/EvDo
LTE/CDMA/EvDo/GSM/WCDMA

each on of those have worked before but none work every time and sometimes I will have tried to use them all several times before one finally kicks on. But if I reboot or even shut off data then back on it farks everything up again.
So I was trying to go to a 4.4... is there anything else I need to do to flash a 4.4 rom? I was thinking of trying the Cyanfox. Liquid Smooth became buggy so I went to Dirty Unicorn. But I gotta have mobile data

I really have no idea what caused it. I've never flashed anything other than 4.1 TouchWiz roms, but I know it's an intermittent issue with aosp roms.

You probably had a bad twrp image when you flashed it, or did something incorrect in flashify. I'm glad you got it working again though.

Mixmode

May 26, 2012
I really have no idea what caused it. I've never flashed anything other than 4.1 TouchWiz roms, but I know it's an intermittent issue with aosp roms.

You probably had a bad twrp image when you flashed it, or did something incorrect in flashify. I'm glad you got it working again though.

Me too man. Thx again for the help.

Reactions: BadUsername

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Me too man. Thx again for the help.