[Q] I think it's a paperweight, but just going to check

Search This thread

eyeofthenyte

Apr 5, 2012
So, I did use the asus unlock tool and things were great.
Then things got bad quick. I downloaded the update and updated to JB... well attempted to. Now no recovery (vol - and power) it just goes to the splash screen and says the device is unlocked.
So I'm just checking because everything I've found says I'm SOL. Being that it's unlocked I can't RMA it or anything like that. Though it is a bit late to be thinking about that I suppose. Just covering all my bases really.

shatterstar78

Jun 30, 2014
So, I did use the asus unlock tool and things were great.
Then things got bad quick. I downloaded the update and updated to JB... well attempted to. Now no recovery (vol - and power) it just goes to the splash screen and says the device is unlocked.
So I'm just checking because everything I've found says I'm SOL. Being that it's unlocked I can't RMA it or anything like that. Though it is a bit late to be thinking about that I suppose. Just covering all my bases really.

What happened during the upgrade to JB? Did you enable NVflash before this happened?

eyeofthenyte

Apr 5, 2012
I've done nvflash in the past, I think I was still ICS then. Not really sure how I can tell if it is still good or not. During the update Everything seemed to be going fine until the final restart it just hung there for somewhere around 4 hours at the ASUS screen that said the device is unlocked. The battery died shortly there after. When I left it charge for a while (till the light turned green) I attempted to get into recovery mode and nothing displayed.

flumpster

Apr 4, 2011
Rhondda Valleys
I've done nvflash in the past, I think I was still ICS then. Not really sure how I can tell if it is still good or not. During the update Everything seemed to be going fine until the final restart it just hung there for somewhere around 4 hours at the ASUS screen that said the device is unlocked. The battery died shortly there after. When I left it charge for a while (till the light turned green) I attempted to get into recovery mode and nothing displayed.

If you have nvflash backups it doesn't matter how old they are or when you made them they will still work. You will be able to save the machine but I don't understand why you was running the unlock tool as the machine would have to be unlocked in the first place to make nvflash backups so you must have already unlocked it before when you made them. Are you sure you have the full nvflash backups?

Last edited:

eyeofthenyte

Apr 5, 2012
If you have nvflash backups it doesn't matter how old they are or when you made them they will still work. You will be able to save the machine but I don't understand why you was running the unlock tool as the machine would have to be unlocked in the first place to make nvflash backups so you must have already unlocked it before when you made them. Are you sure you have the full nvflash backups?

that's the issue I think they were on my pc where I had two hard drives fail in two months, shortly after that I had my 32gb thumbdrive go bad.... all three had copies of the backups. Anyway a friend of mine was going to trash his prime because his battery wouldn't hold a charge. He gave it to me and I swapped the mainboards, unlocked, nvflashed and custom rom'd it. My backups are now located on my gdrive, onedrive, dropbox, and asusstorage accounts as well as on my local hd. Had a lucky break this time if not a little frustrating at first.

What I had meant previously was that I unlocked and then nvflashed and then did the updates. It was a bit late for me at the time because I had been awake for a while. Sorry for the incoherent babble.