[Q] Xperia S' screen problems

Search This thread

saqaw

Jul 27, 2011
Islamabad
Can anyone, who is facing the yellow tint issue & those without it also, identify & post there batch nos here?...may be it is written somewhere on the box....

This would help others who are planning to buy a new phone so that they can avoid faulty units.

RiotRick

Sep 26, 2006
Netherlands
Do you know if they will replace it with another or just replace the screen? btw I have the yellow tint regardless if my phone reaches 40 degrees or not, it's just constantly there?

I think it will stay yellow if it reached 40 degrees once. At least that's what seems to be happening with mine. It was fine for about a week and a half. Then on a warm day with the phone in a case I played a few games in a hot car and it got the yellow tint. Now it's yellow all the time, but it does get a lot worse when it heats up.

I asked on the sony forum how they will handle the repair/exchange, no reply yet. You can check here: http://talk.sonymobile.com/message/173814#173814

dibdin

Mar 6, 2012
Kent
I think it will stay yellow if it reached 40 degrees once. At least that's what seems to be happening with mine. It was fine for about a week and a half. Then on a warm day with the phone in a case I played a few games in a hot car and it got the yellow tint. Now it's yellow all the time, but it does get a lot worse when it heats up.

I asked on the sony forum how they will handle the repair/exchange, no reply yet. You can check here: http://talk.sonymobile.com/message/173814#173814

Okay thanks. I just called Sony from UK on (08705237237) and the customer service guy who I spoke to isn't aware of the "yellow tint" or any statement from Sony as of yet. Maybe I should call them early next week and by then they maybe better informed.

RiotRick

Sep 26, 2006
Netherlands
Okay thanks. I just called Sony from UK on (08705237237) and the customer service guy who I spoke to isn't aware of the "yellow tint" or any statement from Sony as of yet. Maybe I should call them early next week and by then they maybe better informed.

More info from sony

Mar 30, 2012 11:15 AM (in response to RiotRick)
Re: Yellow tint

The phone must be handed in at a service center. You can call the local support team and ask for the location of the nearest one.

http://www.sonymobile.com/gb/support/contact-us/country/nl_NL/

Your dealer will probably help you with this too.

Any affected display will be replaced or the complete phone will be exchanged/swapped. I guess it depends on both availability of spare parts and the extend of damage on the display/phone.

It seems there are no service centers in the netherlands though. I will try my retailer (ThePhoneHouse) tomorrow.

moonset

May 13, 2010
London
I've contacted Sony and they said the UK service centre is in Kent, and we cannot just go into a Sony Style store to ask for help.

We have to send the phone to them by post... :mad: And it takes 5~7 days repairing (from the day they receive the phone)

I think I will stay with the yellow tint screen unless it gets worse

kms108

Sep 16, 2007
I've contacted Sony and they said the UK service centre is in Kent, and we cannot just go into a Sony Style store to ask for help.

We have to send the phone to them by post... :mad: And it takes 5~7 days repairing (from the day they receive the phone)

service center and style shop is two different department, one is a showroom, the other is the repair center.

And about returning the phone to any service center, well it doesn't work that way, most countries dont accept import unit, you can only return your phone if your phone is officially registered to that particular country, some one may need to ask sony how to deal with this situation.
although if your unit is a european version, you should be able to return the phone in any countries within the european union.

correct me if i'm wrong

kms

dibdin

Mar 6, 2012
Kent

Do you know where in Kent?

moonset

May 13, 2010
London
service center and style shop is two different department, one is a showroom, the other is the repair center.

And about returning the phone to any service center, well it doesn't work that way, most countries dont accept import unit, you can only return your phone if your phone is officially registered to that particular country, some one may need to ask sony how to deal with this situation.
although if your unit is a european version, you should be able to return the phone in any countries within the european union.

correct me if i'm wrong

kms

I know the shop is different, but I suppose they are still under Sony? so maybe they should send the faulty product to their repair centre in their own way. Sending a phone by post seems a bit risky. And you sort of need to explain VERY WELL of your situation, otherwise they might just think they have got a random phone from someone.

And I live in UK, bought my phone in UK, it's a UK version. So the second problem isn't a problem.

---------- Post added at 01:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:36 PM ----------

Do you know where in Kent?

No, I used the online chat on SonyMobile website. Then the agent sent me a link (specific for me I think) which is a form to fill in. then an email should be sent to you after you submit the form which includes the address to be sent to.

Not sure if you can just walk in the repair centre for repair even if you know the address.

RiotRick

Sep 26, 2006
Netherlands
Keep us posted how you get on and o will do the same.

Somebody on a dutch forum (tweaker.net) already phoned ThePhoneHouse in another city. They already knew about the problem and said it was no problem to exchange the phone. Bring it in in with the box + all accessoires and they will swap it for a new one. And they have plenty in stock.

They couldn't tell if the current stock doesn't have this problem. But if you get another phone with the same problem, you can exchange it again, no problem.

dibdin

Mar 6, 2012
Kent
Somebody on a dutch forum (tweaker.net) already phoned ThePhoneHouse in another city. They already knew about the problem and said it was no problem to exchange the phone. Bring it in in with the box + all accessoires and they will swap it for a new one. And they have plenty in stock.

They couldn't tell if the current stock doesn't have this problem. But if you get another phone with the same problem, you can exchange it again, no problem.
I have had 3 and all have had the same issue to some extent.

eRixx

Jun 28, 2007
Haarlem
www.dutchlogic.nl

Lol. That would be me :)

I have the phone in my hands right now. Nothing wrong with it so far, but it took about a week for the yellowing to show up the last time. Fingers crossed.

Something i did notice was the build quality. It seems a bit better with this one. No squeaky back-cover and the power button is much more rigid.

dibdin

Mar 6, 2012
Kent
I hope too once I get an email back from Sony telling nee what I need to do. Are you going to be sending yours off?

kms108

Sep 16, 2007
I know the shop is different, but I suppose they are still under Sony? so maybe they should send the faulty product to their repair centre in their own way. Sending a phone by post seems a bit risky. And you sort of need to explain VERY WELL of your situation, otherwise they might just think they have got a random phone from someone.

And I live in UK, bought my phone in UK, it's a UK version. So the second problem isn't a problem.

yes, they are the same company, but a large company like this have different department and they follow procedures, they only deal with stuff which is related to there job descriptions and that is related to their department, the only thing they can do is give you the address or nearest services centre, whether the service centre will accept a imported unit for repair all remains in the sole descretion of the department. I know that if hong kong sony service centre accept a imported unit for repair there is a service charge for inspection and parts at extra cost, this gives you an idea how they work, but there are exceptions from countries to countries.

moonset

May 13, 2010
London
I hope too once I get an email back from Sony telling nee what I need to do. Are you going to be sending yours off?

Mine isn't that bad so I think I will wait a bit.

And I have a feeling that the customer service person wasn't informed about the yellow tints issue... He was like talking about a general repair problem for any devices... and the link he gave me is for Sony Ericsson... there isn't a option for Xperia S (a drop-down list of all models).

And it's probably too early for Sony to have some "fixed" display for repairing I guess.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hey everyone,

I'm writing this info to help as asked by "alsaqr", very nice guy. :)

I bought the Rogers's version. I do not have the yellow tint problem. Here's the following information on the device.

The number is 6 for Touch Firmware
    The letters above the 12W14 are ABAE

I hope this helps. :)
    Good Job SONY!

Batch ACAC 12W22, Anyone else got this ? Hows your screen ?

All AC doesn't have yellow tint/screen issue. I can confirm it because I have ACAG, my phone is 3 weeks old and I'm playing HD games like MC3, N.O.V.A. 3, Sahdowgun etc.. to the point that my phone reaches (I think the hottest temperature) but no yellow tint/spots/screen issues. :good: thumbs up for SONY!
    Thanks , I have touch firmware number 6 , so i dont have to worry as you say. thanks again.

No problem glad to help you! You can hit thanks :)

nokia 3310 > sony ericsson t250i > nokia 5530 > htc wildfire > sony ericsson xperia play > sony xperia s
    And what about ACAE 12W23 , in black ?

Dial *#*#7378423#*#* go to service info > software info, if your touch firmware is 6 you don't have to worry. All AC versions including yours doesn't or will not have yellow spots ir tints.

nokia 3310 > sony ericsson t250i > nokia 5530 > htc wildfire > sony ericsson xperia play > sony xperia s
    Just wanted to let people in the US know that Global Mobiles have phones in stock through Amazon.com

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007HHOEKG/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00

Those should be the new batch.