[Q] Anyone got Z2 (uk model) with unlocked bootloader

Search This thread

rehanraza

Feb 7, 2008
London
i got my xperia z2 today from vodafone uk, really impressed with device as i switched from Galaxy S5. one of the thing that troubling me is the locked bootloader which strick even rooting your device, in other words you are limiting potential power of your phone.
Can anyone suggest if he/she got xperia Z2 with unlocked bootloader and from where did you purchase your device.

iRimas

Oct 25, 2012
i got my xperia z2 today from vodafone uk, really impressed with device as i switched from Galaxy S5. one of the thing that troubling me is the locked bootloader which strick even rooting your device, in other words you are limiting potential power of your phone.
Can anyone suggest if he/she got xperia Z2 with unlocked bootloader and from where did you purchase your device.

I Got the UK Z2 but my Bootloader is Unlocked... i Have purchased form EE...

Thank you

festa20

Jan 6, 2011
Barnsley

rehanraza

Feb 7, 2008
London
I also got mine from EE and it was locked as all devices from them should be locked unless u get it from somewhere like carphone warehouse,phones 4u or other Internet sites

Sent from my LG-D802 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Yea cancelled my deal with voda an ordered from Phones4u. Handset is at DPD Enfield depot. Will collect in couple of days. Hope it comes with unlocked bootloader. Finger crossed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

strommy1966

Mar 5, 2012
okay a noob question ! but as far as i have read, ALL the Z2 have locked bootloaders ? mine is due to be delivered today, and here is the noob part , how do i check to see if my bootloader is locked ?

mushtafa

Aug 19, 2011
West Sussex, UK
Mine is from Vodafone and is bootloader & SIM locked. (Thinking about returning it because if this).
Open dialer and type *#*#service#*#* This will give you all the info

Sent with Tapatalk

Reactions: strommy1966

Why So Serious?

Apr 28, 2012
London
In most cases* if you buy a Sony phone on contract within the UK it'll have a locked bootloader and there is literally nothing that can be done about it.

I learned the hard way with my last Sony device (on contract with Three) so have bought the Z2 off-contract this time round and will pay for a Sim-only plan with Three (this works out cheaper as well).

*Buying on-contract through a third party such as CPW might possibly give you an unlocked bootloader... but it's down to the Network to lock the bootloader permanently and I don't know whether they have this opportunity before CPW ships them to customers

Phantasm4489

Apr 16, 2010
In most cases* if you buy a Sony phone on contract within the UK it'll have a locked bootloader and there is literally nothing that can be done about it.

I learned the hard way with my last Sony device (on contract with Three) so have bought the Z2 off-contract this time round and will pay for a Sim-only plan with Three (this works out cheaper as well).

*Buying on-contract through a third party such as CPW might possibly give you an unlocked bootloader... but it's down to the Network to lock the bootloader permanently and I don't know whether they have this opportunity before CPW ships them to customers

Carphone Warehouse always supply unlocked devices so that's one good reason to go there (i believe the same is true of phones4u but i have no first hand experience of this).

rehanraza

Feb 7, 2008
London
I'll. Collect my p4u z2 on Friday and let you guys know whether BL is locked or unlocked.

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk

strommy1966

Mar 5, 2012
Mine is from Vodafone and is bootloader & SIM locked. (Thinking about returning it because if this).
Open dialer and type *#*#service#*#* This will give you all the info

Sent with Tapatalk

okay so i just got my phone. i typed *#*#service#*#* and under the sim lock and other stuff , its all 0 next to everything. so does that mean its locked or not ? mine was from phones 4 u ... okay i just realized that if it has an X contained within any of the little brackets the its locked .. mine does not . so i guess my bootloader isn't locked then ??

Last edited:

rehanraza

Feb 7, 2008
London
okay so i just got my phone. i typed *#*#service#*#* and under the sim lock and other stuff , its all 0 next to everything. so does that mean its locked or not ? mine was from phones 4 u

It means is unlocked.can you please check in configuration option just below simunlock. Does it says " bootloader unlicking allowed: YES "

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk

festa20

Jan 6, 2011
Barnsley
Yea cancelled my deal with voda an ordered from Phones4u. Handset is at DPD Enfield depot. Will collect in couple of days. Hope it comes with unlocked bootloader. Finger crossed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

If you get it from phones4u it will be unlocked

---------- Post added at 03:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:49 PM ----------

okay so i just got my phone. i typed *#*#service#*#* and under the sim lock and other stuff , its all 0 next to everything. so does that mean its locked or not ? mine was from phones 4 u ... okay i just realized that if it has an X contained within any of the little brackets the its locked .. mine does not . so i guess my bootloader isn't locked then ??

Go into configuration and it does say boot loader unlockable yes or no
U should be able to find it in there sending my phone bk today just woke up so guns ring phones4u bk tmoz and sort out getting from them again

numskull

Oct 19, 2010
If you get it from phones4u it will be unlocked

It seems like theres a bit of confusion here between an unlocked bootloader and a sim unlocked handset.........unlocking the bootloader doesn't let you use any sim, likewise if you can use any sim it doesn't mean you have an unlocked bootloader, mine is from phones for you and has no network/sim locks but bootloader is locked altho it says its unlockable..... from what ive seen in forums it seems like only the phones with no network lock have unlockable bootloaders, i cant be more help regarding the bootloader as im new to sony, all i know is its got something to do with installing custom roms and rooting

festa20

Jan 6, 2011
Barnsley
It seems like theres a bit of confusion here between an unlocked bootloader and a sim unlocked handset.........unlocking the bootloader doesn't let you use any sim, likewise if you can use any sim it doesn't mean you have an unlocked bootloader, mine is from phones for you and has no network/sim locks but bootloader is locked altho it says its unlockable..... from what ive seen in forums it seems like only the phones with no network lock have unlockable bootloaders, i cant be more help regarding the bootloader as im new to sony, all i know is its got something to do with installing custom roms and rooting

Yes if your phone is sim unlocked no doubt it will be bootloader unlocked
And even tho it is unlockable by saying yes means u have to unlock it through the website or through xda and then you will be able to flash custom ROMs but there is hardly no ROMs at the moment give it a few weeks and then you will have a few to pick from
Hopefully if all is good we will be bringing a ROM out for the z2 might be abut Rusty as haven't made any thing since the arc and neo times

numskull

Oct 19, 2010
Yes if your phone is sim unlocked no doubt it will be bootloader unlocked
And even tho it is unlockable by saying yes means u have to unlock it through the website or through xda and then you will be able to flash custom ROMs but there is hardly no ROMs at the moment give it a few weeks and then you will have a few to pick from
Hopefully if all is good we will be bringing a ROM out for the z2 might be abut Rusty as haven't made any thing since the arc and neo times

Yes if your phone is sim unlocked no doubt it will be bootloader unlocked ....... no, it will be bootloader unlockable, not bootloader unlocked.... dont confuse people more than they already are lol

riso123

Dec 3, 2010
Gah! I'm totally confused.

So I've asked Vodafone to sim unlock for me, but this won't enable me to bootloader unlock, ie change status to bootloader unlock allowed = yes?

Sent from my D6503 using xda app-developers app

Top Liked Posts