[Tutorial] Notification Dropdown Text Color Changes/Status Bar Changes (Sense 3.0)

Search This thread

CleveRuse

Apr 14, 2011
Imperial, PA
Hey guys, I made settings background transparent on sense 3.5 only one problem the title says port. I really can't remember what all I changed. Any idea where I can find this line so I can change it?

addacc8d-4096-0155.jpg

Sent from my Inspire 4G using XDA App

LOL! How the hell did u manage that? Did u try recompiling it again? Cuz I don't imagine that's easy to screw up just accidentally! Somewhere in an xml in Settings, the display text "Settings" is specified so if its not from a bad compilation, then u or someone must have written that in there .....somehow! Least that's how I see it. Did u use anyone else's files?

Anyway, I'd have to take a look at it, but my comp needs fixed first .... I'd start by looking in /res/layout/ or /res/layout-hdpi/ of ur Settings.apk. Somewhere I'd expect to see the title text specified to read "port" ....but that's just a guess.

Sorry I can't help more atm. BTW, did u get trans in there by following my tut? I'm just wondering if it was coherent enough. Ur Settings looks really good tho!

Note: that could also be controlled ny framework-res I suppose. If u used anyone else's code, then definitely start there.

Last edited:

rayford85

May 22, 2011
Well after I made my edits and recompiled. I added my drawable hdpi folder from the theme I'm using. With 7 zip. I don't remember changing that but I,m going back thru it now. And no the xml layout is a little diffrent on sense 3.5. I looked at one he_stheone did. Side by side in notepad++ and copied his edits.

Edit: think I found it in strings. Don't remember touching strings. Lol. I'll push it after work and see if it fixed it.

Last edited:

CleveRuse

Apr 14, 2011
Imperial, PA
Well after I made my edits and recompiled. I added my drawable hdpi folder from the theme I'm using. With 7 zip. I don't remember changing that but I,m going back thru it now. And no the xml layout is a little diffrent on sense 3.5. I looked at one he_stheone did. Side by side in notepad++ and copied his edits.

Edit: think I found it in strings. Don't remember touching strings. Lol. I'll push it after work and see if it fixed it.

Cool. Let us know ....so does the method I posted work for Sense 3.5? U nvr said whether u used the tut or not. Was it easy to understand?

CleveRuse

Apr 14, 2011
Imperial, PA
@rayford -also, how did u center the clock? Can u describe exactly wut u did ...and if any other status icons r behaving strangely.

rayford85

May 22, 2011
@rayford -also, how did u center the clock? Can u describe exactly wut u did ...and if any other status icons r behaving strangely.

Oh on rcmix roms it's an option you can pick in the rcmix tweaks apk in settings. You can pick right center or none, you can also color it how you want in this apk. You can find an app that's pretty close to this I'm the sensation forums. The developer is romanbb its his tweaks apk. Several guys use it in there themes in dhd forums. You should check it out to add to your theme.

rayford85

May 22, 2011
Cool. Let us know ....so does the method I posted work for Sense 3.5? U nvr said whether u used the tut or not. Was it easy to understand?

Yes I could understand your tutorial but could only find one data XML in framework and it pointed to screen on and off animation so I just copied he_stheones apk and copied it all

daman215

Dec 10, 2010
philadephia
as you can see the quicksetting strings are reading wrong i ust cant get it right been up for two nights trying please help

Attachments

• 2011-10-20_13-01-36.jpg
    2011-10-20_13-01-36.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 112
Reactions: c_live_lee

Gunthermic

Retired Forum Moderator
Mar 19, 2011
as you can see the quicksetting strings are reading wrong i ust cant get it right been up for two nights trying please help

Yea, that is in a strings.xml, but can't recall which one off the top of my head. But I it's either in systemui or framework. I wil verify after i get home if this doesn't, get you to the right place.

Reactions: daman215

Gunthermic

Retired Forum Moderator
Mar 19, 2011
thanks Gunthermic i hope you can help me gets this right i been up for nights trying

I find the strings your talking about:

SystemUI\res\values\Strings.xml

If this is not correct for your Theme, then please post a location to let me get your systemui,framework files so I can find your problem.

daman215

Dec 10, 2010
philadephia
I find the strings your talking about:

SystemUI\res\values\Strings.xml

If this is not correct for your Theme, then please post a location to let me get your systemui,framework files so I can find your problem.

Thanks Gunthermic i finally figure it out had to to change the string id in the framework thanks to you telling me were to look at,thanks to everyone who like my set up its coredroid 2.4 on the sensation forum i added my own little effects to it thanks to your tut on transparent notification still have a little more to do heres some more screenies

Attachments

• 2011-10-01_17-43-27.jpg
    2011-10-01_17-43-27.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 117
  • 2011-10-17_16-50-31.jpg
    2011-10-17_16-50-31.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 109
  • 2011-10-21_11-13-06.jpg
    2011-10-21_11-13-06.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 112
  • 2011-10-21_11-14-33.jpg
    2011-10-21_11-14-33.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 114
  • 2011-10-21_11-18-48.jpg
    2011-10-21_11-18-48.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 107
  • 2011-10-17_16-50-40.jpg
    2011-10-17_16-50-40.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 101
  • 2011-10-17_16-50-54.jpg
    2011-10-17_16-50-54.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 97

CleveRuse

Apr 14, 2011
Imperial, PA
Thanks Gunthermic i finally figure it out had to to change the string id in the framework thanks to you telling me were to look at,thanks to everyone who like my set up its coredroid 2.4 on the sensation forum i added my own little effects to it thanks to your tut on transparent notification still have a little more to do heres some more screenies

Looks really great! How did u get the patterns in ur blue color for things like ur signal bars and music player button icons (eg: play, forward, back)?

daman215

Dec 10, 2010
philadephia
Looks really great! How did u get the patterns in ur blue color for things like ur signal bars and music player button icons (eg: play, forward, back)?

Thats cordroid theme i just added extra blue to certain things most of the important stuff on sense 3.0 rom is in the fusion apk also gimp editor is great for matching colors together

CleveRuse

Apr 14, 2011
Imperial, PA
Thats cordroid theme i just added extra blue to certain things most of the important stuff on sense 3.0 rom is in the fusion apk also gimp editor is great for matching colors together

Oh ok. Yeah I use GIMP exclusively ....and have become pretty familiar with fusion (and pretty much every other apk -i think I've themed almost all of them, lol) ....I've just nvr found a satisfactory way to impose patterns in images without them looking over-stated. Those look really professional -subtle. I love seeing other peoples work -thnx!

BTW, the method for affecting transparency in Settings bg (tut I wrote a couple pages back) also works for GoogleQuickSearchBox. Ur theme would look great in those places as well, imo;)

Last edited:

romified

Jul 11, 2011
How can you add an option to the settings menu? Like if I wanted to add an option for my own advanced settings? I have searched through the XMLs in settings.apk, and even the framework files but can't find the layout for that.
I even used file seek to search the decompiled files and I must be missing something somewhere.
I was looking to also change the settings background and scored a bullseye with this post, hoping someone knows where the menu items are controlled so I can add an option to it.
I appreciate anyones help on this.

Gunthermic

Retired Forum Moderator
Mar 19, 2011
How can you add an option to the settings menu? Like if I wanted to add an option for my own advanced settings? I have searched through the XMLs in settings.apk, and even the framework files but can't find the layout for that.
I even used file seek to search the decompiled files and I must be missing something somewhere.
I was looking to also change the settings background and scored a bullseye with this post, hoping someone knows where the menu items are controlled so I can add an option to it.

I dont have the exact answer, but will explain what i have been told and seen.

You cant add to the QuickSettings menu, 1. Without adding a resource 2. Editing public.xml 3. and adding info into smali code as well.

Synergy ROM has one of the most all inclusive Settings(Quick) menu i have seen, but all the items i listed above had to be done. Now where is all the stuff in the smali, dont know, would have to ask myself.

Not the answer you want... But you ar eon the right track. Using a file compare of your ROM decomiled.apks and another ROM's decompiled apks might give you a direction. Just make sure you ask permission if you publish something.

CleveRuse

Apr 14, 2011
Imperial, PA

Sorry, I certainly can't help more than gun alreagy has .....but if/when u figure it out exactly (especially the smali part) can u please post ur findings here? I'm sure we'd all appreciate it! -thats wut this thread is for;) (or give it to gunthermic to post in the OP)

rel500

Aug 4, 2009
Miami
Wow. Awesome tutorial. Going to try and finish my theme once and for all tomorrow.

Sent from my HTC Glacier using Tapatalk

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I hope this little tutorial from Average Joes will help the many questions about how to change the Notification Dropdown Text Color.

I have been on a mission for a couple of months to figure this beast out. Read many threads, PM'd many others. Alot of info is out there about how to change the text color for notification dropdown for Sense 2.0 and Sense 2.1. But Sense 3.0 made some changes to the structure of the XML's and how the Status Bar was using them. I will write out how I did it, and hopefully it will guide you along to what I think is an awesome change for a ROM or a Theme to make..

Requirements:

1. You must be able to decompile and compile your SystemUI.apk and Framework.apk

2. Understand how to edit XML's.

3. Know how to back up and flash all these changes. I would never suggest making all changes at once to SystemUI. If you make a mistake,your Status bar will fail to show up upon booting the phone..

This is what mine looks like:
    Main.png
    QuickSettingsMain.png

In the first part I will cover changing the text color for Quick Settings Tab..

If you find an error of discover a new way of doing it, please let me know so I can update this tutorial..

1. Quick Settings
    2. Status Bar
    3. Transparency Notification/Quick Settings
    4. Time Location on Notifications
    5. Changing Text Color of Notifications in Dropdown
    6. Animation in Notification Dropdown!!!!
    ** Special Thanx to - Stoney66,fernando sor,Bad Seed customs for creating this mod**
    7. Using Wallpaper as Background in other Windows
    ** Special Thanx to - Clever for showing me this mod**

Always, Always Backup!!!!
    Transparency Background for Notification Dropdown and Quick Settings

SystemUI\res\drawable-hdpi\values\drawables.xml

Look for:

1. Complete Transparency

<item type="drawable" name="list_item_background">#ffffffff</item>

a. Substitute: #ffffffff with #00000000
    b. This will give you complete transparency

2. Partial Transparency

<item type="drawable" name="list_item_background">#ffffffff</item>

a. Substitute: #ffffffff with #77000000
    b. This will give you less transparency

Results:

Transparent-Main.png
    Transparent-Quick.png
    Transparent-Main-A.png
    Status Bar Color - Date/Clock

SystemUI\res\drawable-hdpi\layout\status_bar.xml

Look for:

1. Clock

Look For:

<com.android.systemui.statusbar.Clock

a. Add: android:textColor="#ffXXXXXX" the “X’s” are in RRGGBB

Example:

<com.android.systemui.statusbar.Clock android:textAppearance="@android:style/TextAppearance.StatusBar.Icon" android:textColor="#ff3366CC"

2. Date

Look for:
    <com.android.systemui.statusbar.DateView

a. Add: android:textColor="#ffXXXXXX" the “X’s” are in RRGGBB

Example:

<com.android.systemui.statusbar.DateView android:textAppearance="@android:style/TextAppearance.StatusBar.Icon" android:textColor="#ff3366CC"

Date-Clock.png
    Colorized Text in Notification Dropdown

SystemUI\res\values\colors.xml

<color name="white">#ffffffff</color> (This changes what the text color is when pressed in notifications)
    <color name="black">#ff000000</color>
    <color name="half_white">#7fffffff</color>
    <color name="half_black">#7f000000</color>
    <color name="primary_text_color">#ffffffff</color> (This changes the Notification Text Header)
    <color name="secondary_text_color">#ff000000</color> (This changes the Notification text Content)

In each of the above lines marked with a comment, Substitute the >#ffXXXXXX with you RRGGBB values you want your text to be.

Screenshots coming in a few..

** I have this done in my mods for a while, however special thanx to Jon for finding out it only needed this file changed instead of several that I had done before. I knew it should take as many files to change the color. THANK YOU JON!!!

Time on Notifications Location

Framework-res\res\layout\status_bar_latest_event_content.xml

Look for:

<android.widget.DateTimeView

Cut and paste whole line into the second or third <Linearlayout... Right after the corasponding Textview

Placing the DateTimeview in the second <Linearlayout will place the time on the first line of the Notification.

Placing the DateTimeview in the third <Linearlayout will place the time on the second line of the Notification
    Quick Settings:

(Part 1) - Changing Text Color of Primary and Secondary Text

Primary Method:

SystemUI\res\drawable-hdpi\layout\status_bar_preference.xml

1. Header Name of Item

Look for:

<TextView android:textSize="@com.htc:dimen/list_primary_m" android:textColor="@color/list_item_primary_text"

a. Substitute "@color/list_item_primary_text" with “#ffrrggbb” (whatever rgb color you want)

2. Status of Header Item (like on/off i.e secondary text)

Look for:

<TextView android:textSize="@com.htc:dimen/list_secondary_m" android:textColor="@color/list_item_secondary_text"

a. Substitute "@color/list_item_secondary_text" with “#ffrrggbb” (whatever rgb color you want)

QuickSettings.png

Secondary Method: (Coming Soon)

Why the two?

The primary keeps any other text within the system from changing. The secondary method can affect any other ares of the the system that call upon this color in the xml. You decide what is best.

(Part 2) - Quick Settings Label

SystemUI\res\drawable-hdpi\layout\quick_settings.xml

Look for:

<TextView android:textAppearance="@style/TextAppearance.StatusBar.Title" android:gravity="center_vertical"

a. Add android:textColor="#ffrrggbb” (whatever rgb color you want)

Example:
    <TextView android:textAppearance="@style/TextAppearance.StatusBar.Title" android:textColor="#fffffd80” android:gravity="center_vertical"

Gets you a Yellow Label:

Quick-Settings-Label.png