[Troubleshoot]16/8GB Nook Tablet Root SD Cards by Albert Wertz

Search This thread

chamnv

Feb 28, 2012
i flash it to my sdcard but when done, it show 80MB. My sdcard have 8G.
I want flash it to 8G sdcard and show free space. How i do?

albertwertz

Dec 8, 2011
Wolfforth, TX
First off, Albert, all your videos and step-by-step instructions, you're every noob's dream!

So, I'm not a complete noob, but pretty darn close, I took a little bit of programming "just for fun" in college, and I've rooted my HTC Incredible.

So here it goes: I am attempting to root my 16GB NT (1.4.2) using Albert's R3 SD card (4.6 I think) method, and it will not boot to SD by *any* method. Neither Power, nor Power+N work, and when I try USB method, it will boot to stock after about 2-3 minutes of doing absolutely nothing, whether I've left the cable plugged in or not. Ideas?

Downloads and instructions I'm using came from http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1528625

I will be changing this soon. I am changing my file hosting and am going to try and make the image downloadable. I am spending some cashe each month to host these files though. so this is costing me money.

Nice Tablet

Mar 22, 2012
OTA Blocker

When I go to Titanium Backup>Backup/Restore>Batch> And Restore App Data, I have a 0 parallel to it rather than your "1". I believe because of this I cannot block updates. Help?

glove0001

Oct 18, 2012
Instructions for SD card to be made external to NT...?

I noticed there are no instructions given in the original post on how to make the SD card external to the Tablet. This would be very helpful and I think required for some people who are having trouble with their Nook at the moment. My NT16 was auto mounting to my Macbook at one point, but that route wasn't well supported by this post. I created the SD card on the Macbook using a hard to find link to a website describing the process of how to mount an iso image file to a usb device using mac OSx. I have once described my difficulty with that process under the Q&A thread. So, now I am trying things over Win XP. A few things have changed and here is my setup: I have a used BN partitioned NT16 and now the battery says it's not charging. Of course the location of the charge cable caused it to get a little bent. But being used and looking online, I can't be sure what is causing the battery not charging. Also, I am unable to get the Win XP pc to recognize the NT when I plug it in. Interestingly, I went from 1.4.3 to 1.4.2 today when B&N repartitioned my Tablet to 8gb-for user and 5.9gb-for BN content.

So here's what I think I understand. This post is designed to root the tablet and lead to the next step of installing custom ROM. I would like to do these steps separately because the largest SD card I have is 256MB. I also have 128 and 64. I don't have a 2GB card. So let's say I am somehow able to root my device. I still don't know what ROM to use. The only reason I want to root is because I don't like the way the Nook runs. I would much rather run regular Android software, but I don't really need to be able to customize it all that much. I just want to be a user of an unlocked Nook Tablet. So which ROM can I install using one of the SD cards mentioned that will give me the best battery life and use the least RAM and also be a user friendly, stable OS?

note, even though it says not charging, I have it plugged into the BN adapter and it has gone up 2% in the last ten minutes.

---------- Post added at 04:13 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:44 AM ----------

Also, doesn't the SD card need to be formatted to fat32 instead of fat16?
Original post doesn't say. I tried running win32diskimager.exe by plugging in the SD card through a usb adapter and it said not enough disk space after it extracted some of the files. The last file on the list of the extracted was mingwm10.dll. This time I will try using a 256 mb card, the largest I have. Rooting the device using this method is supposed to be easy, and let's say it is... What about the custom ROM, I still don't know what to use or how difficult it will be to install and setup. I'd like to know what I'm getting into before I start and most installation instructions are easily repeated by the author on their own equipment and don't usually cover all the various desktop OS versions in one run through. Basically, what I'm saying, is that there is no single post that can accurately describe everything or at least link to everything. I have to sift back and forth looking all the while scratching my head. I can't find V4_6 either. Your original post download link is for V4_7 but the instructions list V4_6. Now I can't decide which one to use or even which one might be better for me. Anyways, what does it mean to make the SD card active?

---------- Post added at 04:19 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:13 AM ----------

The minimum SD card size required is probably 256. I was unable to extract to 128 Transflash card, but just succeeded with the 256 Sandisk card using Win xp over USB adapter. Why do it the NOOK?

---------- Post added at 04:30 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:19 AM ----------

okay so the 256 mb card did something indicating moving forward. I held the power and n button. then let go of the power button. then I saw the cwm screen flash by straight to the factory reset screen. Plugging in the nook to get it to boot from SD hasn't worked.

---------- Post added at 04:46 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:30 AM ----------

this time i got the cwm screen for almost a whole second before the factory reset screen came on...

---------- Post added at 04:53 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:46 AM ----------

Thanks - Windows 7 PC - 1 GB Sdcard - Nook 1.4.1 (Never Rooted Ever)

1. /SD_ROOT_NTV4.zip Go here and download SD Card image and unzip all to your desktop or specific folder. (This includes image generator file, Custom files, and Folder for extra apps to sideload)
2. Connect Nook Tablet and SD card in it to your computer.
3. Run Win32 disk image file
4. Select image (NT_SDCard.img) and select drive for SD card on Nook
5. Click Write
6. Open SD card using PC and Delete all files on it.
7. Copy files from inside AWNTRootV4 folder to root directory of SD
8. Disconnect Nook and Turn off.
9. Power on Nook - Startups normal doesn't go into CWM
10.Power off
11. Press power while pressing N. Nothing happen (Held it for a min)
12. Release tried again- Press power while pressing N.
13. Starts up but after N logo it request if I want to Factory Reset.
14. Press power button to cancel as I don't want to Factory Reset.
15. Only way to start it after this is via USB or if I remove the SDcard.

I am not new to this I have rooted Androids and Iphones. If the hardware is the same this should work exactly as you outlined.

how can I create this sd card without using the NOOK. Why does this seem to be the best way. I would like to modify my Nook because I don't like the way it runs. Furthermore, I don't really like Win XP, but here I am trying to figure out why this post assumes I really want to be able to make my computer talk to my Nook. I just want to create the SD card. Come on Albert. I have a good point.

Solar.Plexus

Jan 29, 2012
^Buddy, easy. This isn't Albert's fault. Connect your microSD card to a computer with an SD reader of any kind. Then write the .img file to your SD card using the DiskImager tool provided.

glove0001

Oct 18, 2012
yes, it's a mess...

I've managed to get totally lost.

I just want to get CWM on an SD card & do an img backup. Not looking to flash anymore than CWM at the moment.

There is so much going on in Indirect's thread my brain is locked up.

Could someone please get me pointed & unfrozen? Nook is OK, just my brain is frozen.

I have spent some time flipping back and forth through various pages of this thread. I am now to the point where I need to reformat using gparted, the settings of which I cannot remember. I have a chip I labeled CWM from one of my first attempts. I get about an hour into this and then have to walk away. Does anybody have clear instructions on how to properly format the SD card 128MB. It doesn't say which brand it is, all it says is micro SD and the letter "D" looks a lot like SANDISK brand.

rkleinhenz

Mar 23, 2011
I hope this thread is still active. I have a new NT, it came with 1,4,2. I updated to 1.4.3 and then rooted using SD_ROOT_NT16or8gbV4_7.zip. All went well, I thought, I blocked OTA. Then I tried to restore apps that I had backed up on another nook (color). Brought the backups over, let titanium backup update itself, and told it where the backup directory was. Any app I try to restore app+data seems to get stuck. Is that a known issue, and what's the solution? Looks like the apps get restored, but not the data. I sort of suspect it may have to do with the directory structure they use. Any help is appreciated.

Also... is 1.4.3 perhaps a less than ideal version for rooting?

digixmax

Jan 17, 2011
I had the problem you encountered even with Titanium backup/restore (in my case backup from my NT then subsequently restored back to my NT) with some of the apps -- and the only solution I've found is to uninstall those apps and re-install them from GooglePlay.

pureline

Dec 7, 2011
App install problem

Dear. Albert

I succeed rooting on my NT
Thank you very much for your posting

But I have one serious problem
Many app can't install when I try to install app from play store with below message

"Your device isn't compatible with this versio"

But beggining of your rooting method can install normally

Can you help about it?

digixmax

Jan 17, 2011
I succeed rooting on my NT
Thank you very much for your posting

But I have one serious problem
Many app can't install when I try to install app from play store with below message

"Your device isn't compatible with this versio"

But beggining of your rooting method can install normally

Can you help about it?
Those apps are most likely newer apps and not backward compatible with the 2+ year-old Android version of the BN stock ROM (Gingerbread 2.3.x). To run those apps you'll need to use a custom ROM like Cyanogenmod CM10.

asawi

Oct 1, 2012
Those apps are most likely newer apps and not backward compatible with the 2+ year-old Android version of the BN stock ROM (Gingerbread 2.3.x). To run those apps you'll need to use a custom ROM like Cyanogenmod CM10.

When that has happened to me it has been because they are phone apps and Play Store don't see the Tablet as a phone (the Color running cm7 was fin). What I do is I extract them from a device where they can be loaded and manually install them on the Tablet hwere thay almost always work just fine. Even running stock!

NikkieL

Feb 25, 2012
It might be because of the Google platform version you're on. If you just rooted your tablet then you're on the gingerbread platform. Many apps have been updated for ICS or jb.

You can either install a customer ROM like CM10 which is on the jb platform or see if earlier versions of the apps are available.

The website freeware lovers.com is a good place to try.

Nikkiel

Sent from my Barnes & Noble Nook Tablet using xda premium

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I am making this post as a place for new users to post questions regarding the method I describe on making Root SD cards here for those users who dont have enough of a post history to comment in the development sections.

Does NOT work on Nook COLOR. Nook TABLET ONLY. There is a difference.

spent some cash to change hosting, donations are appreciated.
    My post sorts all that crap out in one easy download and even a video to install from. I am lost on where you are lost ;)
    No need to search. Link in original. Post
    Glad u had some success

Sent from my SGH-I897 using xda premium
    Try reboot. If doesn't change. Reapply. And reboot