AT&T HOX+ 2.15.502.1 Update... What's been your experience?

Search This thread

joey-pagan

Dec 21, 2012
San Juan
Alright, so it's that time of the year again, HTC has just released a mayor update (and unless they change their minds, the last one, I may add). As I've mentioned before, ever since I got this phone, I've never really been 100% happy with it, so as soon as an official update is rolled out I jump at the chance to update my HOX+'s firmware! As it has been widely mentioned and covered in other threads, the update roll out process has been less than smooth, between a mini update which prepares the phone for the big update, but leaves the phone unable to check for further updates until 24 hours later, widespread problems communicating with the update server in the first place, and having no current RUU available, saying it was a flawed process is an understatement. However, once installed, this update covers a wide range of improvements to the GUI, the performance, and overall user experience.

I've been using the updated firmware for a few days now and so far I can say that it has been a generally positive experience. The phone feels smoother/snappier. The baked-in quick settings in the notification bar is an awesome (if long overdue) feature. The power management settings are more robust. there are more instances in which the phone allows the user to select default actions. The dailer/phone app is also way better than before (although, I still feel that they have really underutilized the screen real state for some of the functions). The updated Music app is also very nice with a lot of features not present before (mostly related to Song Info lookup). The Camera app is also way better. It takes better pictures and allows for more editing options. Audio controls have been beefed up also (loads more control over the volume settings). Another big feature is Blinkfeed. I personally don't use it, but it does work as expected and it's a nice feature to have available.

On the other hand, it can't be all good news. The distorted streaming (Media, not call audio) via Bluetooth (A2DP) bug is STILL un-addressed. I can't believe that a known issue like that, easily fixable in AOSP ROMs, hasn't been fixed in 14 months and 2 mayor updates. It makes me wonder who on earth do they hire to do their quality control and testing (Chimps!?). Also, battery life doesn't seem to have improved much (at least it isn't worse, so I guess that's a good thing).

What about you guys? What has been your experience with it?Share your experiences here!

nicka3200

Dec 28, 2011
The Sense 5 UI looks much more up to date, but many of the features I have got used to are missing from the lockscreen & launcher (scrollable dock, 1x1 widgets in the dock, resizable homescreen grid, additional notifications on the lockscreen) so I use third party replacements.

The htc calendar app is improved but it is still nowhere near as good as most of the play store alternatives.

I definitely get better battery life throughout the day. It doesn't seem much better when I'm using the phone, but is drastically improved over previous idle consumption. That may be because I don't use the Sense launcher & Lockscreen so my phone doesn't keep checking the weather outside the window.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Jul 14, 2012
Like everyone has said, the update process left a lot to be desired. In my case I had to wait over a week between the small update and the full one. (I didn't want to play with changing the phones date for various reasons.) Since applying the update, MY battery life seems to be about the same. Performance feels slightly better, at least it's not worse.

I've been having an off again on again love affair with Sense since my first HTC. Sense 4 on my One X+ was ok. Sense 5 on the same phone feels sluggish, and annoying at times. Replacing Sense with Nova Launcher, and any signs of sluggishness disappear. That makes me think it's sense more than the Kernel/OS.

The new lock screen is different, and that's annoying me. I know, I shouldn't use technology if I don't like change, but it just doesn't "feel" right for some reason. I don't care for ANY of the AT&T bloatware that they installed. I spent over 20 minutes disabling what I could.

Overall, I'm happy with the upgrade. Maybe it will keep me on the stock rom for a few months, until I find a new rom that I like better. I'll give it a thumbs up. :good:

Michael

struff

May 5, 2007
It has really hurt my battery life. It takes unusually too long for the battery to get from 99 to 100%. When I am plugged in and fully charged and go throughmy usual morning ritual of scrolling through Twitter and email, it isn't unusual to drop down from 100 to 94 or 95 (while I'm still plugged into the original HTC charger!). I now have to charge once during the day in addition to overnight. And when my battery is low, when it reaches 14% it drops to 9% in minutes and once getting to 9% it shuts off.

I miss being able to pinch the home screen to quickly get to one of the other home screens. And I really miss the little weather animations when unlocking the phone.

But overall I find it snappier than before.

towelboy

Jun 17, 2012
The update really changed my mind on if I should sell the phone and get a nexus. This update has made everything vastly better. My phone no longer dies at 2 everyday, instead it lasts til dinner (even with data always on!). The lock screen, phone, messaging, camera is finally aesthetically pleasing. Games like Real Racing 3 no longer lags and run hot. I use power saver and all apps are still snappy and smooth. Only thing that will suck is that we won't be able to get more updates (unless they change their minds).

---------- Post added at 07:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:14 PM ----------

And when my battery is low, when it reaches 14% it drops to 9% in minutes and once getting to 9% it shuts off.

I get this too, ever since I got the phone. Nice knowing that it isn't just me

joey-pagan

Dec 21, 2012
San Juan
Interesting feedback... I'm going to wait until I run the newly released RUU on my phone to compare before vs after results, and see if they differ from what people post here.

Sent from my HTC One X+ using xda app-developers app

Isaact94

Feb 1, 2014
Where can i find this new RUU?

Interesting feedback... I'm going to wait until I run the newly released RUU on my phone to compare before vs after results, and see if they differ from what people post here.

I have been having a ton of trouble trying to get this new update to my HOX+. i tried the "check for updates" and either a box comes up that simply say software update and nothing else, or, if the htcDm is already running after the prior attempt, nothing happens at all when i tap the button.
I have looked all over for a RUU for the new update but i simply am not able to find one!

Do you know where i can find the new RUU and/or why "check for updates" does not work?

Whatever help anyone can give me on this one would be highly appreciated!

thanks guys~

Attachments

• Screenshot_2014-02-02-20-24-46.png
    Screenshot_2014-02-02-20-24-46.png
    60.4 KB · Views: 91
Last edited:

struff

May 5, 2007
I have been emailing with HTC support and I asked them why there are no more weather animations when we unlock the phone and here is their reply:

I apologize for the misunderstanding. In this case, taking into account the update done to your device, as much as I would like to give you a different answer, this feature has been removed in order to optimize the battery life of your device. I do apologize as I know this was not the answer you were looking for.

So that little 3-4 seconds of leaves blowing or snow or rain was causing battery issues??? As if stupid Blinkfeed uses less juice???

:(

joey-pagan

Dec 21, 2012
San Juan
I have been having a ton of trouble trying to get this new update to my HOX+. i tried the "check for updates" and either a box comes up that simply say software update and nothing else, or, if the htcDm is already running after the prior attempt, nothing happens at all when i tap the button.
I have looked all over for a RUU for the new update but i simply am not able to find one!

Do you know where i can find the new RUU and/or why "check for updates" does not work?

Whatever help anyone can give me on this one would be highly appreciated!

thanks guys~

Hmmm, HTC seems to have removed the RUU from their website after publishing it! (Weird...)

Isaact94

Feb 1, 2014
I contacted HTC and was told that they originally posted it (hence how you were able to get it) but took it down because it was having problems of some sort. They informed me that they would be posting it back up once it wthe RUU was corrected and set for download.

So now it is the waiting game again...

And I have not gotten an OTA push yet and was told by HTC to wait a couple of weeks and call back if I didn't get. So I myself have got to just wait I guess

Reactions: joey-pagan

synnyster

Feb 16, 2011
Wallpaper not scrolling on home screens

Hmmm, my wallpaper doesn't seem to scroll anymore. I am currently using Apex launcher and wallpaper doesn't scroll even though I have set Apex to allow it. Prior to the update it would scroll. I installed another launcher to see if it would scroll and still no dice. Any ideas?

joey-pagan

Dec 21, 2012
San Juan
I contacted HTC and was told that they originally posted it (hence how you were able to get it) but took it down because it was having problems of some sort. They informed me that they would be posting it back up once it wthe RUU was corrected and set for download.

And I have not gotten an OTA push yet and was told by HTC to wait a couple of weeks and call back if I didn't get. So I myself have got to just wait I guess

Thanks for the info man! I was going to run this weekend the RUU I managed to download, but if that's the case, I'll wait it out...

Isaact94

Feb 1, 2014
hopefully this is a FIX for you!

Thanks to el_kangri_gt-r_co_34 for the info!

If your phone wont manually check for updates try downloading the RUU for 1.19 and installing that.
once that is on the device the manual check should find the new 4.2.2 update (or at least mine did)

it will come in as a 13.8MB and then later a second 532.1MB package (you might have to check for update again after the first downloads)

be sure to give el_kangri_gt-r_co_34 thanks over here (http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2467571&page=33) if this helped!

toohsieh

Nov 26, 2012
San Jose, CA
Hmmm, my wallpaper doesn't seem to scroll anymore. I am currently using Apex launcher and wallpaper doesn't scroll even though I have set Apex to allow it. Prior to the update it would scroll. I installed another launcher to see if it would scroll and still no dice. Any ideas?

I've had the same experience. It looks like your best bet will be using Nova Launcher and toggling on its Force Scroll function in Display Look and Feel within Nova's settings. It's usually for devices that can't scroll, but we're one of those now.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Alright, so it's that time of the year again, HTC has just released a mayor update (and unless they change their minds, the last one, I may add). As I've mentioned before, ever since I got this phone, I've never really been 100% happy with it, so as soon as an official update is rolled out I jump at the chance to update my HOX+'s firmware! As it has been widely mentioned and covered in other threads, the update roll out process has been less than smooth, between a mini update which prepares the phone for the big update, but leaves the phone unable to check for further updates until 24 hours later, widespread problems communicating with the update server in the first place, and having no current RUU available, saying it was a flawed process is an understatement. However, once installed, this update covers a wide range of improvements to the GUI, the performance, and overall user experience.

I've been using the updated firmware for a few days now and so far I can say that it has been a generally positive experience. The phone feels smoother/snappier. The baked-in quick settings in the notification bar is an awesome (if long overdue) feature. The power management settings are more robust. there are more instances in which the phone allows the user to select default actions. The dailer/phone app is also way better than before (although, I still feel that they have really underutilized the screen real state for some of the functions). The updated Music app is also very nice with a lot of features not present before (mostly related to Song Info lookup). The Camera app is also way better. It takes better pictures and allows for more editing options. Audio controls have been beefed up also (loads more control over the volume settings). Another big feature is Blinkfeed. I personally don't use it, but it does work as expected and it's a nice feature to have available.

On the other hand, it can't be all good news. The distorted streaming (Media, not call audio) via Bluetooth (A2DP) bug is STILL un-addressed. I can't believe that a known issue like that, easily fixable in AOSP ROMs, hasn't been fixed in 14 months and 2 mayor updates. It makes me wonder who on earth do they hire to do their quality control and testing (Chimps!?). Also, battery life doesn't seem to have improved much (at least it isn't worse, so I guess that's a good thing).

What about you guys? What has been your experience with it?Share your experiences here!