Flash Bleeding: is Sony going to something about it?

Search This thread

Arup ZR

Aug 17, 2013
Taken in park during evening.

Attachments

• DSC_0193.jpg
    DSC_0193.jpg
    261 KB · Views: 278

Arup ZR

Aug 17, 2013
With flash? I might say there is a whitish fog on the grass, maybe from flash bleed? It would be more certain if you would try to capture a homogeneous picture, like about the sky. Thank you anyway :)

Yep with flash and there was sodium vapor lamp throwing light on the grass below me.

Reactions: vetko

MrAmbiG

Feb 25, 2014
Giving it for service

The pictures are horrible. 90% of the pictures have the same issue. It is not a cheap device and they must have done their job right
lesson learnt: NEVER BUY A PHONE WITHIN THE YEAR OF ITS RELEASE IN YOUR COUNTRY AND ONLY AFTER YOU ELIMINATED THE KNOWN ISSUES FROM YOUR PHONE.
attached are the samples from my z1 compact white phone.

Attachments

• DSC_0009.jpg
    DSC_0009.jpg
    265.4 KB · Views: 184
  • DSC_0010.jpg
    DSC_0010.jpg
    303.1 KB · Views: 170
  • DSC_0011.jpg
    DSC_0011.jpg
    279.1 KB · Views: 167

profyler

Oct 5, 2012
Sâo Paulo
The pictures are horrible. 90% of the pictures have the same issue. It is not a cheap device and they must have done their job right
lesson learnt: NEVER BUY A PHONE WITHIN THE YEAR OF ITS RELEASE IN YOUR COUNTRY AND ONLY AFTER YOU ELIMINATED THE KNOWN ISSUES FROM YOUR PHONE.
attached are the samples from my z1 compact white phone.

you should try my manual fix...

Bionder

Nov 20, 2011
Lisboa
Well i'm not an expert but 4.4.2 had improved the camera quality a little bit, at least the flashbleed i had i don't see it anymore...

I hope it helped.. The modes were the same, Auto+Flash.

Attachments

• DSC_0006.jpg
    DSC_0006.jpg
    258.9 KB · Views: 191
  • DSC_0001_1.jpg
    DSC_0001_1.jpg
    238.7 KB · Views: 195
Reactions: vetko

vetko

Sep 6, 2012
Well i'm not an expert but 4.4.2 had improved the camera quality a little bit, at least the flashbleed i had i don't see it anymore...

I hope it helped.. The modes were the same, Auto+Flash.

Well, now, how is that even possible?! As far as we know, it is a hardware issue. Anyway, I (and more than certainly we) would be VERY happy if this is solved! :)

---------- Post added at 12:55 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:30 AM ----------

Could you possibly post more test-photos with the flash on in a dark environment (as for example about the dark void sky at night - but nothing else close)?

Last edited:

ariciusonic

Mar 17, 2009
Bucharest
If you take photos in manual mode, with night mode on, the results are good (first photo is without flash). You can even see the dust on my tv stand.. :D

Attachments

• DSC_0064.jpg
    DSC_0064.jpg
    244.1 KB · Views: 304
  • DSC_0066.jpg
    DSC_0066.jpg
    244.7 KB · Views: 315
  • DSC_0068.jpg
    DSC_0068.jpg
    249.7 KB · Views: 284
Last edited:
Reactions: Arup ZR

ariciusonic

Mar 17, 2009
Bucharest
.. and for the rest of the day.. superior auto is enough for excellent photos.. :cool:

Attachments

• DSC_0056.jpg
    DSC_0056.jpg
    277.9 KB · Views: 224
  • DSC_0061.jpg
    DSC_0061.jpg
    256.4 KB · Views: 213
  • DSC_0065.jpg
    DSC_0065.jpg
    257.3 KB · Views: 205
Reactions: Arup ZR

TheQwertiest

Jan 21, 2012
can more people confirm this? i really doubt they fixed the bleed with a updated firmware.

Yeahi would also like to know that;)

Sent from my D5503 using Tapatalk

Flash bleed is NOT and will be NOT fixed by fw upgrade! Though it can be somewhat alleviated by lowering ISO, the original issue will still remain the same.

Once again, it IS a hardware issue made more apparent by bad camera settings!

So, unless Sony is gonna replace the back panel, the flash bleed will stay by our side forever -_-

PS: It's easily fixed by a permanent marker though: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2671795

Bionder

Nov 20, 2011
Lisboa
Well, now, how is that even possible?! As far as we know, it is a hardware issue. Anyway, I (and more than certainly we) would be VERY happy if this is solved! :)

---------- Post added at 12:55 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:30 AM ----------

Could you possibly post more test-photos with the flash on in a dark environment (as for example about the dark void sky at night - but nothing else close)?

I will try to do that when i got a chance.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    we can only speculate. They wont fix it with a fw update. Changing the back panels are the only thing sony could do. are they gona do it? i dont know, and i dont think so

ps: i also had to repaint it, but now its fixed. the paint stays longer on the second or third time that you paint it.

---------- Post added at 11:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:32 PM ----------

Ever heard of HTC One purple tint issue on camera? I'm pretty sure it's a hundred fold worse than this camera issue and up to now HTC didn't provide any official recall or fix for this problem. AFAIK this issue only shows up on situations where an image would be worthless. I mean who takes picture of a black sky without any objects? Or takes a picture on a empty dark room without any focused subject nor takes a portrait picture of an object which is on a far distance than normal. All I can say is take it easy... Just use the camera normally and you won't encounter the issue. I've done low light pictures from the compact already from night concerts, Selfies on night, low light shots on some friends and stuff and I haven't encountered the light bleed issue. The only way I can reproduce it is if I take a picture of the sky, taking a picture of something a few meters away from me or taking picture on a empty dark room(ghost hunting? :p).

i disagree. yes this bleed is a lot worse when taking a nightsky pic, or in a complete dark room, wich are things that you probably wont do. but you can also reproduce it under situation that you might come in the future where light is low, but not complete dark.
    What color is your device mate?

@gabi11

Same as @Arup ZR color black.
    I also plan to buy the black one, but all users are reporting flash bleed even with that. Also, I don't think the leather case would change anything, because the light finds its way into the camera through the plastic back, which the leather case can not prevent. Just to be sure, could you try taking those photos without the leather case?

I really hope that Sony fixed this (at least quietly in the background). When did you purchase it?

Few days back.
    other forum do said sony has an updated version of this that solve the problem few weeks back. Not sure about credibility

I just got australian carrier version yesterday (which is launched at 18 March). Can confirm I still have the problem. White version
    With flash? I might say there is a whitish fog on the grass, maybe from flash bleed? It would be more certain if you would try to capture a homogeneous picture, like about the sky. Thank you anyway :)

Yep with flash and there was sodium vapor lamp throwing light on the grass below me.