Google Cardboard DIY virtual reality app not working on note 2 ?

Search This thread

cooperg21

Aug 6, 2014
Where to buy lenses

I have tried both apps. Due to loss of edge data i don't really see a point watch videos in it. Unless the videos are made to compensate the loss (round cornered videos)

Also in my first post i attached template but its not getting attached.

Thank you very much for posting the templates. What would you have done differently from the template you posted to get it to close? I also noticed that the template is most likely for the Note 3. (The volume rocker was shifted.)

Also, where did you (or anyone else that did this build) find the lenses? (Please link)

Would these work? http://www.edmundoptics.com/optics/...imental-quality-plano-convex-pcx-lenses/28369

Last edited:

firoz3321

Apr 30, 2011
Hyderabad
Yes the template was of note 3, but somehow this fits my note 2 perfectly ( may be printer reduced the size a bit)

I didn't get your query.

Sent from my SM-G900F using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

SPIDERTECH

Feb 21, 2008
Texas
Thank you very much for posting the templates. What would you have done differently from the template you posted to get it to close? I also noticed that the template is most likely for the Note 3. (The volume rocker was shifted.)

Also, where did you (or anyone else that did this build) find the lenses? (Please link)

Would these work? http://www.edmundoptics.com/optics/...imental-quality-plano-convex-pcx-lenses/28369

Those lenses will not work. The focal length is 58mm whereas the ones used with the Google Cardboard template are 40mm. The ideal lenses would be 25mm Diameter x 40mm FL. I have a modified version that I used with some lenses I got out of a pair of "as seen on TV" binocular glasses. I'm not sure what the size of those lenses are, but it is higher than 40mm since I had to increase the distance between the phone and the lenses for it to focus properly.

Put this string into Google and you should find all that site has for this size lens

Code:
25mm Diameter x "40mm FL" site:http://www.edmundoptics.co.uk

---------- Post added at 12:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:37 AM ----------

I saw that you sent the donation. Thank you for that.
Was there a particular ROM you were looking at for the 4.4.2 or were you wanting to update to the official release?

Spidertech, I sent you a private message. Thank you! Looking forward to Otterbox case template.
jbcoop

Almost done with the otterbox template. I have to separate the lens holder into two files since it's so big. As with the other one I posted there will be both a zip with individual 8.5 x 11in PDFs you print out and match the numbers for as well as a PNG with everything in it.

Reactions: cooperg21

SPIDERTECH

Feb 21, 2008
Texas
[/COLOR]
Almost done with the otterbox template. I have to separate the lens holder into two files since it's so big. As with the other one I posted there will be both a zip with individual 8.5 x 11in PDFs you print out and match the numbers for as well as a PNG with everything in it.

I finished the template. I'm going to print it out and assemble it so I can do a test fit to make sure everything fits right. I'll post the files as soon as I get that done.

arnookie

Jun 14, 2009
I have tried both apps. Due to loss of edge data i don't really see a point watch videos in it. Unless the videos are made to compensate the loss (round cornered videos)

Do these need cropping before print as I found they come out smaller than googles own cardboard.
No way do they fit my note 3. :eek:(

armoo

Jan 18, 2014
I printed it 100% ratio and it fits exactly for my note2.
But that is actually a template for not3. (which should be a little bigger)

I'm confused I tried printing again and it still prints smaller. :0(
Did you resize it to the template outline? or the full page including the instructions on the top?
Help please what program did you print it from?

---------- Post added at 02:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:14 PM ----------

I printed using the three images you provided in post 20.
They are printing really small for me. :eek:(

firoz3321

Apr 30, 2011
Hyderabad
I printed them by right click on image and select print. On Windows 7 i get a pop up asking how i want to print ( like size and direction) make sure its not set to auto fit. Print at 100%.

Or u can print at say 110%, 120% and so on to best match the screen size. However the distance between lense to lense should NOT increase. Make sure the distance between the centre of 2 lense remains same as mentioned in template.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

jezzick

Jul 11, 2008
Hey SpiderTech,
That Template you posted for the Note 3 worked perfectly for me! thanks 1000x for your work.

I would love to try the Otterbox template as soon as you finish it. I had a blast making the first one 2x (the first one came out very ugly due to my excitement and not taking my time)
I'd really like to be able to use VR without taking my shiny new phone out of its case, as Im sure you can relate.

I got a note 3 early in december, after having 2 iphones, both of which dropped and broke. >_<
So im pretty determined to keep my phone protected, but im so excited to show VR to everyone in my life.

Thanks again for your efforts, looking forward to an update.

BungeeRooster

May 30, 2012
I would have had this done sooner, but I wanted to print everything out and get it assembled before making the PDFs. I've attached a ZIP with 3 pdf files to print each individually and assemble like the original. I've also included a transparent PNG and a TIFF that is the entire thing for large printing.

I need to rework the version with the otterbox since after printing and assembling it I discovered that I had missed resizing certain parts. I should have that one done soon though.

Hey what's up man. I have a Note 2 in an otterbox defender as well (not sure if yours was an defender). Can you please share the layouts you had? I already tried cardboard v2.0 but it sucked major balls and I got the focal point problem same as you did. Maybe you can help a brother out?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    If you have it all finalized, I will glady send you some money for a copy of it sized for the Galaxy Note 2 housed in an otterbox. I will send you the money via PayPal...just let me know if you have it finalized and I'll gladly pay you for it.

jbccop

I would have had this done sooner, but I wanted to print everything out and get it assembled before making the PDFs. I've attached a ZIP with 3 pdf files to print each individually and assemble like the original. I've also included a transparent PNG and a TIFF that is the entire thing for large printing.

I need to rework the version with the otterbox since after printing and assembling it I discovered that I had missed resizing certain parts. I should have that one done soon though.
    At the recent google IO, a fun little project was launched.

https://developers.google.com/cardboard/
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.google.samples.apps.cardboarddemo

It's called cardboard, and it's google take on smartphone / VR helmet. I was really curious to try it on my Note 2, specially since I already had a helmet. (Made it when I was bored some time ago.)

Saddly, it seems the app won't work on a galaxy note 2. It should, but it doesn't.
    So I wondered, does anyone else tried the app ? Did you manage to make it work on note 2 ?
    I have a note 2 on the sprint network(sph-l900 running 4.4.2)
    and the app works on mine
    as for the cardboard case it seems the note 2s size may cause problems(i will be adding 1/4 inch to the front cover)

the note 2s camara is blocked(i will cut my own hole to compensate for phone difference)

Well, the app was just updated. Like 5 minutes ago on my phone. And now it works. On my note 2, only the "windy day" demo crash.

More info I found though on the subject though :

https://code.google.com/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=288731

"The problem is that the EXT_robustness implementation on the Mali-400 does not support reset notification. However, Chrome doesn't use virtual GL contexts on these GPUs, so in theory the effects of WebGL shaders could be confined to the respective WebGL GL context.

I did some further testing (https://codereview.chromium.org/24037006/) and turns out it's still possible for long running shaders in the WebGL contexts to block GL execution in other contexts -- not limited ones in Chrome. Based on this I don't think we want to enable WebGL on Mali-400 based devices.

Note that users can still override this by disabling the "Software rendering list" in about://flags."
    That would awesome if you could share that :laugh:

I finished it a couple of days ago and just got around to printing it and cutting it out of cardboard. It needs a little tweaking, but otherwise works pretty good. I need to scale it down just a bit since the one I made accounts for my phone being in my otterbox case. I'm almost done with that one though so I should have it complete in a day or two.

I've included a picture of my completed in-case version looks like. I still need to make one change I know of to this case. When increasing the dimensions I guess I missed making the back panel bigger so it doesn't actually close all the way now. I'll upload that one when I'm done too.

Those lenses will not work. The focal length is 58mm whereas the ones used with the Google Cardboard template are 40mm. The ideal lenses would be 25mm Diameter x 40mm FL. I have a modified version that I used with some lenses I got out of a pair of "as seen on TV" binocular glasses. I'm not sure what the size of those lenses are, but it is higher than 40mm since I had to increase the distance between the phone and the lenses for it to focus properly.

Put this string into Google and you should find all that site has for this size lens

Code:
    25mm Diameter x "40mm FL" site:http://www.edmundoptics.co.uk

---------- Post added at 12:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:37 AM ----------

I saw that you sent the donation. Thank you for that.
    Was there a particular ROM you were looking at for the 4.4.2 or were you wanting to update to the official release?

Spidertech, I sent you a private message. Thank you! Looking forward to Otterbox case template.
    jbcoop