Case Mate vs Otterbox

Search This thread

Trig0r

Jun 19, 2007
There are probably threads out there like this one that compare the two cases.
However, as I have now cracked the casing on my second Otterbox Commuter I decided to try something different.

Enter the Case Mate "Tough".
Apprently this is the revised version according to Amazon (UK) where I got it from, I cant say what the differences are between this and the earlier model as I havent had one so its possible that depending on which revision you get, some of you might get different results to me.

I'll be comparing this to my Otterbox Commuter, the reason I used one of the Otterbox units is I have one for my Xoom, I had one for my HD2 and in general I like the look and protection that they offer. However as I have now cracked the plastic in the same two places on two different units its safe to say that they dont fit my needs.

To be fair theres not a huge amount of difference from the front, the Otterbox appears to have slightly more coverage on the front of the phone as its rubber is more closely molded to the speaker area.
The Otterbox also lets the power and volume rockers protrude from the hard shell, this at least for the volume isnt an issue, however where the power button is the hard shell is only a few mm wide at the top front edge, this is where I have managed to crack both of the Otterboxes I have had, I've also noticed when my other half has the phone she struggles to turn the phone on/off.

At the bottom where the USB and audio sockets are the Otterboxes hard shell goes around this area and has a rubber flap that pops in and out of place to with show or hide the ports, on the Case Mate no such flap exists so if you work in dust environments then that could be a minus for the Case Mate.

Hard shells, after breaking two, I'd say the Otterbox either needs a redesign or material change, the Case Mate's hard shell doesnt cover as much as the Otterbox one but in not covering as much of the phone it doesnt have the same weaknesses as the Otterbox.

As it stands now the Otterbox seems to offer a touch more protection at the expense of life expectancy, both of the unit's I've had have lasted 6/8 months.
The Case Mate seems more rugged due to its hard shell being matte and textured vs the Otterboxes smooth shinier finish.

At this point neither case stands out as a clear favorite, however having broken two of the Otterboxes the Case Mate certainly seems hardier out of the box.

Will report back in a while after I've used the Case Mate a bit more.

J-ROCK

Mar 8, 2008
windermere
Just received my Casemate Barley There today and it seems like it's pretty solid. It protects the camera pretty well it covers the outer rim of the lense , most cases I've seen have a square opening from the flash to the camera.

Sent from my Desire HD using xda premium

chrisund123

Jan 4, 2011
I've had a case mate tough on my DHD for 18 months now. The case is still fine, despite numerous drops and bumps, etc.

Underneath, the phone is absolutely pristine. Still looks as good as the day I got it. I've never seen or used an otterbox case, but the case mate has been absolutely top notch as far as I'm concerned.

Reactions: noppakun

Dodgylegs

Aug 13, 2010
I'm selling a case mate for the HTC Desire HD if anyone is interested?

Used once, so in perfect condition :)

Sent from my HTC Sensation XL with Beats Audio X315e using XDA

Red_Nick

Dec 20, 2010
Nottingham
I've had a Casemate Tough for my DHD for a year and a half now. Its certainly served me well, I drop my phone all the time, and its still working perfectly.

EboniLM

Nov 8, 2011
Texas
i also have the pink/black casemate tough for my inspire. I've had it on my phone for over a year, numerous, and i mean NUMEROUS, drops on various surfaces. underneath it, my Inspire is literally flawless.

the casemate tough definitely provides the same, if not better, drop protection than my pink/black Otterbox Defender case i had for my iPhone3g.

[Sent from my HTC Inspire via Tapatalk using Swiftkey 3 Beta. Pardon errors.]

noppakun

May 6, 2006
Nonthaburi
I've had a case mate tough on my DHD for 18 months now. The case is still fine, despite numerous drops and bumps, etc.

Underneath, the phone is absolutely pristine. Still looks as good as the day I got it. I've never seen or used an otterbox case, but the case mate has been absolutely top notch as far as I'm concerned.
So do I.
"still fine"

komputerfreek

Sep 17, 2010
I had the case mate tough case and although it served its purpose for a while it was a pain to tale on and off. It eventually cracked in half. Does anyone know if they offer a lifetime warranty like I believe otter box does?

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2

paul c

Nov 15, 2006
Madrid
Has anyone GPS problems with the Case Mate Tough?

Sent from my Desire HD using XDA

I've been using the Case Mate Tough for over a year now, dropping it occasionally :) still looks brand new. The phone is held in really well and the corners are strong (ie, unbroken, look new still).

Re GPS coverage, I used GPS Test to see how many satellites the phone could see with and without the case - from the attic of my house. There is a small window above me, the rest being roof. I saw that the phone would pick up 8-9 with the Case Mate instead of 10-12.

In practice, this is no problem whatsoever. I drop the phone, with the case on, in a backpack and go mountain-biking. The app I use, tracks automatically as soon as there is a signal. If I look at the tracks, it picks up a signal within the first 10-20 seconds.

So in short, protects very well, has more than acceptable coverage and gets a quick fix ;)

Trig0r

Jun 19, 2007
Well after a few weeks the Case Mate is still my favorite over the two..

matthew33

Nov 24, 2010
WALES, UK
Google Pixel 8 Pro
Managed to drop my phone today from about 5ft high directly onto solid concrete driveway and the phone kinda did a weird slide/roll, under my van.

I was 100% convinced there would be at LEAST a small crack on the screen...NOPE.

My Otterbox Commuter and screen cover saved it...not a mark!

OTTERBOX RULES!!
:good:

Trig0r

Jun 19, 2007
Yeah dropped mine a few times, the case does the job its just a few places where its thin and cracks..

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2

techlogik

Aug 23, 2006
I like my Speck Candy Shell case. Dark Grey in color. Rubber inside, hard outside, protects edges, all one piece.

meanstreak66

May 5, 2012
Missouri
I had a case-mate and loved it, though I gave it to my daughter when she got an Inspire, I have a Seidio active case now. I love this case, the buttons are a lot easier to use (power and volume), and have dropped it a couple of times and the case protected it well.

Last edited:

etdude

Feb 23, 2012
D.C.
The otterbox is definitely a weak non-durable case. It may protect the phone but in the end it will mostly likely break if you drop your phone a lot. A lot of customers at my job have otterboxes for their iPhones and they are always chipped or cracked. It's a shame :laugh:

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.