[Q] Cloning Nexus 7?

Search This thread

AuthEx

Oct 6, 2010
Orlando
Hi there,
So here's my question, does anyone know how to clone a Nexus 7 into other Nexus 7?
I have 2 applications installed that will need to come across 200 other Nexus 7.

Thanks

Planterz

Feb 28, 2014
Tucson, AZ
Hi there,
So here's my question, does anyone know how to clone a Nexus 7 into other Nexus 7?
I have 2 applications installed that will need to come across 200 other Nexus 7.

Thanks

Cloning is possible. You'll need to root and install custom recovery on every single one, do a nandroid backup of the original, and do a restore on the rest.

If all you need to do is clone the app and data, root all of them, install a root backup app, do a backup, then share the backup with all of them.

But if all you need to do is install the app on every device (no cloned data), just use an .apk extractor, upload the file to cloud storage (Dropbox, Drive, a website, whatever). You'll have to enable USB debugging on every device and allow installation from other sources, but at least you won't have to root 200 devices.

What exactly is it that you're trying to do? If we knew more, we could help you better. And maybe save you the trouble of doing something 200 times by yourself instead of 200 people doing one thing.

AuthEx

Oct 6, 2010
Orlando
Cloning is possible. You'll need to root and install custom recovery on every single one, do a nandroid backup of the original, and do a restore on the rest.

If all you need to do is clone the app and data, root all of them, install a root backup app, do a backup, then share the backup with all of them.

But if all you need to do is install the app on every device (no cloned data), just use an .apk extractor, upload the file to cloud storage (Dropbox, Drive, a website, whatever). You'll have to enable USB debugging on every device and allow installation from other sources, but at least you won't have to root 200 devices.

What exactly is it that you're trying to do? If we knew more, we could help you better. And maybe save you the trouble of doing something 200 times by yourself instead of 200 people doing one thing.

Hi there,
Thanks for the quick response. To answer your question:

1. We have an app that needs to be installed on 200 devices by one person.
2. We need all the Nexus devices to run on 4.4.4, rooted.
3. After the initial configuration of each Nexus, we would need our application to be installed.
4. After the devices have our app installed, we would need to configure our app, one device at a time (specific settings on each device)

Our counter part, iOS, allows us to use Apple Configurator to massively upgrade, install and rename devices on the fly; we basically need to find an android equivalent.