Disappointing battery life. So far

Search This thread

hegemytouch

Mar 2, 2010
The battery is OK...nothing special I get a full day use out of it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using XDA App

techntrek

Oct 29, 2007
MD
Charge your phone to 100% and power it off then back on. Go a few hours with it and check BetterBatteryStats using the "since unplugged" option. See if the wakelock is still active. Generally restarts kill wakelocks like that, as its just a bugger in the software that glitched.

Only partially true. If you charge from a "dumb" wall charger it will sleep. If you charge from a USB host (computer, or in my case a car charger which will stream music from a USB drive), THAT is what triggers a wakelock so you never get to sleep. See this thread.

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1512856

Err0xx

Feb 24, 2011
Birmingham, Alabama
Only partially true. If you charge from a "dumb" wall charger it will sleep. If you charge from a USB host (computer, or in my case a car charger which will stream music from a USB drive), THAT is what triggers a wakelock so you never get to sleep. See this thread.

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1512856

I charge via USB on my MacBook pro 3/7 nights in a given week and I've never experienced this. At all. Charged from MBP the night before last and phone lasted 5h 5m and 43s screen-on time with 22.5h unplugged time. No juice defender, no nothing but stock TW and Kernel.

That is a handfull of people reporting a similiar problem and you jump to concluding that it affects every single note? All the reviewers of this device, all the note forums and the 10 people in the one you linked that are basically speculating about wakelock causes make that a widespread issue? I think not. I've never experienced this.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using xda premium

Last edited:

techntrek

Oct 29, 2007
MD
So just root your phone and replace the framework-res and SystemUI files with the ones posted in the Note themes and apps forum here -- there are instructions posted as well.

Or install an app like Battery Indicator.

---------- Post added at 09:23 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:21 AM ----------

That is a handfull of people reporting a similiar problem and you jump to concluding that it affects every single note?

So a handful of people have confirmed this is a valid bug and you jump to concluding that it doesn't affect every single note - just because you haven't encountered it?

Yeah, that logic goes both ways. ;)

paleh0rse

Jan 4, 2011
Or install an app like Battery Indicator.
The problem with most battery apps is that they add a second battery status icon to the bar instead of just replacing the one that is there. Modding the framework-res and SystemUI files, on the other hand, replaces the stock status icon altogether.

Does the BI app actually replace the stock icon, or does it add a second one to the bar?

techntrek

Oct 29, 2007
MD
You are correct, it just adds a second indicator as an "ongoing notification". Not perfect, but for someone that doesn't want to root just to replace the stock indicator it is a 2-minute solution.

rag1998

Nov 4, 2008
After removing my corporate email sync, I got 31hrs and 35mins, at which point the battery was at 5%.

erick161

Mar 10, 2011
Well bought the note loving the fact it had LTE built in. I didn't realize my area had LTE yet. Was a nice surprise...like a 30mbs surprise! Haha. What's not a nice surprise is not being able to toggle the damn thing off! And why don't we have a switch like the thunderbolt?!?!

However, even with LTE on all the time even at home, i was seeing similar battery stats to my Atrix 4G on CM9...about 3 hours screen on time. I now use wifi at home so we will see how much that improves by.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using XDA

PeartFan40

Jun 15, 2007
South Hadley, Ma. USA
As of today, I've had my Note for two weeks, and so far, the battery life is incredible! It lasts far longer than my GSII, Skyrocket, Inspire, Infuse, Atrix, etc. If after 4 hours of use, you have 77%, you're doing quite well. That averages out to roughly 16 hours of battery life.

Sent from my Galaxy Note (SGH-i717) using XDA Premium.

markysd

Apr 5, 2012
san diego ca
new bee:D my battery last me about 4 hours of my type of use..for me its not bad..i always have power to charge it at work or my car.. but if im out and about and i need some power when im a bit low im like omg low power ahhh..

anyone bought one of them external packs like this? 5400mah that will give the note battery about 2 time charge..this will come handy for like trips ect..
its luckypacks web site cant post link due to im a NOOB:D lol that i am on android but not on apple jailbreaking that got very boring for me..now i see the light with android :cool:

thund3rsh0ck

Apr 5, 2012
I find that I can usually last a day (~14 hours) with standard use.

I also bought 2 of the Hyperloin spare batteries off Amazon, rated at the same mah as the OEM battery, but they definitely do not last as long. Be warned, the Hyperloin batteries are not as good as advertised.

Reactions: markysd

erick161

Mar 10, 2011
As of today, I've had my Note for two weeks, and so far, the battery life is incredible! It lasts far longer than my GSII, Skyrocket, Inspire, Infuse, Atrix, etc. If after 4 hours of use, you have 77%, you're doing quite well. That averages out to roughly 16 hours of battery life.

You are so not using LTE tho lol. It drinks the battery like water.

PeartFan40

Jun 15, 2007
South Hadley, Ma. USA
You are so not using LTE tho lol. It drinks the battery like water.

True, lol. But even if LTE were available in my area, it wouldn't affect my battery too much, because 95% of my data usage is on WiFi.

Is LTE that power hungry? How long does your battery last with LTE? Do you use a lot of data?

StarLog

Apr 29, 2008
Orlando, FLA.
No idea why mine has gotten better.
See the image

Attachments

• battery.jpg
    battery.jpg
    146.8 KB · Views: 73
Last edited:

erick161

Mar 10, 2011
True, lol. But even if LTE were available in my area, it wouldn't affect my battery too much, because 95% of my data usage is on WiFi.

Is LTE that power hungry? How long does your battery last with LTE? Do you use a lot of data?

Yeah. The one day i used solely LTE, even at home, i saw just shy of 3hours screen on time with about 15% left iirc.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Well certainly seems to be a thorough report and investigation. Guess the battery is crap :(

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using XDA App
    Yesterday I factory reset my phone and formatted usb storage and my cf card, just in case it was some filesystem corruption causing my fast battery drain. I wasn't able to diagnose a particular cause for my issue, but I suspect it was something sitting on partial wakelocks all the time.

This time I'm being much more judicious adding software and auditing their effects before continuing. I've now got it working dramatically better than it has so far, and I feel confident that I have proper diagnostic tools to discover future problems.

I'm running the stock rom and unrooted so far. All I've removed are easily removable preloaded apps that I know I'm not going to use.
    It will take 4-5 full recharge cycles to hit full capacity. The graph you show is fine. How much battery life were you expecting? 12-14 hours would seem about right.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using XDA App
    no *****in about battery life for at least a few days if not a week... it will not stabilize until the phone has been charged up and drained several times. case in point, i took it right out the box and started using it. started at about 50% battery life and was dead in an hour. charged it up last night and been using it for the last 6 hours pretty heavily and its still at 77%.

it will only get better, be patient :) my atrix was just as bad out of the box.
    You should get 24 hrs on normal use and 12 hrs heavy use.i have international for month now
    I can easly make 28 hrs.just phone text and web.no movies or games.first few days dont charge unless almost dead.