Multiboot Linux on Infinity tf700 v0.8.3 (project closed)

Search This thread

rabits

Nov 25, 2012
St.Petersburg
Hi, Guys

Currently I'm working on preparing Linux boot and rootfs image for tf700 device.
Project is based on Nexus 7 Ubuntu installer, Linaro distribution and Hundsbuah kernel.

Release version 0.8.3

Developers thread is here

Warning!
  • You can brick your device or loose all your data. I'm not to be held responsible if you damage or brick your device. Please, be careful.
  • This manual has been prepared for the advanced users. You are an advanced user?
    • You have linux experience
    • If there is a problem - you contact support and provide all the necessary information (devices info, steps to reproduce, logs)
  • Please, change password for ubuntu user at first login. Default password is "ubuntu".

Components:
This system consists of several components:

Installer (v0.8.3)
- is standart Android ZIP update file with Aroma interface.
Features:
  • Pretty simple touch interface
  • Installing and usage Linux without a keyboard or dock
  • Detailed localization of install process (rus, eng)
  • Any device to install rootfs (usb media, sdcards or internal virtual disk file)
  • You can skip rootfs preparation and install only bootimage (if dualboot has been replaced by another installation)
  • Data2sd option supported
  • Use android /data partition as /home directory for users
  • Autobackup of old virtual rootfs image file and ubuntu user
  • Select boot priority - you can select default system to boot (Basic or Linux)
Next release features:
  • Review of initrd options scheme
  • Install additional system to directory
  • Rootfs archive finder search maxdepth 3
  • Save log into internal memory
attachment.php

Bootimage (v0.8.3)
- contains Linux kernel (zImage) and initial ramdisk (initramfs). It is created during installation and stored in a special LNX partition on your device.
Features:
  • Support of many basic systems - Android (CleanROMv3.x, CleanROMv3.x+Data2SD, CM10.x) and Ubuntu-Touch
  • Any media booting - you can boot SDcard, microSD or usbdisk
  • Virtual Disk multiboot - possible to select need virtual disk (up to 9)
  • Android & Ubuntu-Touch booting - can boot android system init from media or virtual disks
  • File system checker - before mounting filesystem should be checked by fsck.
  • Hundsbuah kernel - v2.1 optimized kernel
Next release features:
  • Support for 4.2 android (CleanROMv4.x)
  • Run additional system from directory
attachment.php

RootFS archive
- compressed tar archive with root file system of OS. It is unpacked during installation to a prepared ext4 filesystem (in file or media device).
  • Ubuntu 12.10 (v0.8.0)
    Archive contain prepared Ubuntu 12.10 environment with last updates, based on Unity (3d) with Cube Desktop. You can install any software (like lxdm or xfce) to improve desktop performance, but (for now) only Unity will be supported.
    Features:
    • Pad-mode - you can use your device as pad without dock
    • Keyboard remapping - Special keys is replaced to default (Esc, F1-12, Ins, Print, Break, Del, Home->Alt, Search->Meta4) by evdev keymap.
    • WiFi - You can connect to internet or lan through wifi
    • Touchpad 2 fingers scrolling - Move 2 fingers up-down to scrolling. 2 finger tap - is mouse 3rd button.
    • Touchscreen - Supports right click by touch one finger and click by second finger.
    • OpenGL ES - 3D, games (eduke32, Jagged Alliance 2) and nice browsing by Chromium
    • Audio and Video up to 1080p - Use nvgstplayer to HW decoding FullHD video
      • nvgstplayer --sas="audioconvert ! pulsesink" -i <videofile> - Fullscreen mode
      • nvgstplayer --svs="nvxvimagesink" --sas="audioconvert ! pulsesink" -i <videofile> - Window mode
    Problems:
    • Unity has some problems with performance and ram eating - this is place for optimizations.
    • Going to suspend is freezing device
    • HDMI FullHD is not working (but HD is ok)
    • Bluetooth not working
    • Disable speaker if headphones connected
    • Totem is not support nvidia gstreamer plugins
    • No flash player - only HTML5
    • Skype and any proprietary software (we need ARM binary, not x86)
  • Ubuntu-Touch preview (v0.5.2 2013/03/25)
    Features:
    • Smooth touch interface
    • WiFi support (fixed)
    • Frontal Camera
  • Ubuntu 13.04 - development
    First release features:
    • Packages for specific tf700t and tegra3 components (tf700 ppa)
    • Wayland + Weston + libhybris optional support

Install Manual:
For now installation is very simple)) No console operations needed!

Requirements:
  • Access to recovery & zip upgrade
  • > 3Gb free space in tf700 /sdcard folder or external storage
Process:
  1. Get linux-install-0.8.3.zip (12 Mb), (mirror) MD5: 46e458791d232dafa7df49a7b506beca
  2. Get need rootfs:
  3. Copy linux-install-*.zip and rootfs-*.tar.lzma to your SDcard or /sdcard on your tf700
  4. Reboot to recovery mode
  5. Run linux-install-*.zip
  6. Next, next, next ))
  7. Wait, wait...
  8. Done, now you can reboot and see four penguins!
  9. If you have a problem with installation process - please, save install log and attach it to your help request message with good description.

Uninstall:
Really? I feel so sad :p
To complete uninstall multiboot & linux you need:
  • Reinstall your Android distributive or kernel part of it (this is replaces bootimage with multiboot)
  • Remove /data/media/linux directory with linux root file systems

Epilogue:
Currently we have basic linux environment with graphics and internet. For now, Android is more friendly to the user on a Tablet PC, but we can tilt the balance to Ubuntu advantage.

If you have any question about usage - please, post it here.

Attachments

• boot_process.jpg
    boot_process.jpg
    22.8 KB · Views: 35,228
  • install_process.jpg
    install_process.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 31,695
Last edited:

_that

Recognized Developer / Inactive RC
Oct 2, 2012
fastboot boot boot.img

Good idea to boot via fastboot, that should save the hassle of permanent reflashing the kernel - however it doesn't work for me, at least with the kernel from the other Ubuntu project.

First try: use a raw kernel+ramdisk image (starting with "ANDROID!"):

Code:
that@ws ~/android/tf700/ubuntu $ fastboot boot blob.LNX
downloading 'boot.img'...
OKAY [  2.829s]
booting...
FAILED (remote: ()
finished. total time: 2.830s

Second try: use the complete blob:

Code:
that@ws ~/android/tf700/ubuntu $ fastboot boot blob
creating boot image...
creating boot image - 6281216 bytes
downloading 'boot.img'...
OKAY [  7.318s]
booting...
FAILED (remote: ()
finished. total time: 7.319s

Fastboot itself works, because after that I issued "continue" and it booted the installed Android kernel just fine:

Code:
that@ws ~/android/tf700/ubuntu $ fastboot continue
resuming boot...
OKAY [  0.000s]
finished. total time: 0.000s

Any idea?

What's also interesting is that last time I flashed stuff with fastboot some weeks ago, "fastboot devices" used to show all "??????" and I had to use the well-known "-i 0xb05" option. Today "fastboot devices" showed a proper serial number and I could omit the option (also tried specifying it anyway, but it did not make any difference). Maybe that was repaired with a recent bootloader.

Reactions: Delforo

danger-rat

Feb 14, 2010
USA
You typically have to include the device ID in the fastboot command for this device... might be worth a try?

For example:
fastboot -i 0x0B05 flash recovery twrp.blob

Not quite sure what the syntax is to boot an image...

Last edited:

_that

Recognized Developer / Inactive RC
Oct 2, 2012
I see - you use blob. It's wrong - you need to unpack blob (see the blobunpack on this forum). Fastboot can flash only images. Blob - is used from zip and sdcard.

blob.LNX is actually the output of blobunpack, and it's a boot image starting with the "ANDROID!" magic. As you can see above, I tried both variants and neither worked.

Thank you for your work and this awesome project!! If this becomes stable and usable, I'll be buying the keyboard dock for my Infinity!! Congratulations on your progress thus far, and a big thank you!!! I was just thinking the other day how much I would love to have this capability!! Would give me a Ubuntu system for me to easier work on various Android phones

Sent from my EVO 4G LTE using xda premium

Heiboe

May 7, 2010
Skien
Nothing have ever excited me more than this. Thank you so much for all your work! Im not a big linux programmer, but iv been using it for the better part of my life. If i can help in any way, Im in!

ostar2

Nov 22, 2012
Nice. Its always good to options when it comes operating systems.
Also, is this bloated at all? Because, Ubuntu for non-embedded systems has been very bloated since 11.04 and got worse with 11.10.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi, Guys

Currently I'm working on preparing Linux boot and rootfs image for tf700 device.
    Project is based on Nexus 7 Ubuntu installer, Linaro distribution and Hundsbuah kernel.

Release version 0.8.3

Developers thread is here

Warning!
    • You can brick your device or loose all your data. I'm not to be held responsible if you damage or brick your device. Please, be careful.
    • This manual has been prepared for the advanced users. You are an advanced user?
      • You have linux experience
      • If there is a problem - you contact support and provide all the necessary information (devices info, steps to reproduce, logs)
    • Please, change password for ubuntu user at first login. Default password is "ubuntu".

Components:
    This system consists of several components:

Installer (v0.8.3)
    - is standart Android ZIP update file with Aroma interface.
    Features:
    • Pretty simple touch interface
    • Installing and usage Linux without a keyboard or dock
    • Detailed localization of install process (rus, eng)
    • Any device to install rootfs (usb media, sdcards or internal virtual disk file)
    • You can skip rootfs preparation and install only bootimage (if dualboot has been replaced by another installation)
    • Data2sd option supported
    • Use android /data partition as /home directory for users
    • Autobackup of old virtual rootfs image file and ubuntu user
    • Select boot priority - you can select default system to boot (Basic or Linux)
    Next release features:
    • Review of initrd options scheme
    • Install additional system to directory
    • Rootfs archive finder search maxdepth 3
    • Save log into internal memory
    attachment.php

Bootimage (v0.8.3)
    - contains Linux kernel (zImage) and initial ramdisk (initramfs). It is created during installation and stored in a special LNX partition on your device.
    Features:
    • Support of many basic systems - Android (CleanROMv3.x, CleanROMv3.x+Data2SD, CM10.x) and Ubuntu-Touch
    • Any media booting - you can boot SDcard, microSD or usbdisk
    • Virtual Disk multiboot - possible to select need virtual disk (up to 9)
    • Android & Ubuntu-Touch booting - can boot android system init from media or virtual disks
    • File system checker - before mounting filesystem should be checked by fsck.
    • Hundsbuah kernel - v2.1 optimized kernel
    Next release features:
    • Support for 4.2 android (CleanROMv4.x)
    • Run additional system from directory
    attachment.php

RootFS archive
    - compressed tar archive with root file system of OS. It is unpacked during installation to a prepared ext4 filesystem (in file or media device).
    • Ubuntu 12.10 (v0.8.0)
      Archive contain prepared Ubuntu 12.10 environment with last updates, based on Unity (3d) with Cube Desktop. You can install any software (like lxdm or xfce) to improve desktop performance, but (for now) only Unity will be supported.
      Features:
      • Pad-mode - you can use your device as pad without dock
      • Keyboard remapping - Special keys is replaced to default (Esc, F1-12, Ins, Print, Break, Del, Home->Alt, Search->Meta4) by evdev keymap.
      • WiFi - You can connect to internet or lan through wifi
      • Touchpad 2 fingers scrolling - Move 2 fingers up-down to scrolling. 2 finger tap - is mouse 3rd button.
      • Touchscreen - Supports right click by touch one finger and click by second finger.
      • OpenGL ES - 3D, games (eduke32, Jagged Alliance 2) and nice browsing by Chromium
      • Audio and Video up to 1080p - Use nvgstplayer to HW decoding FullHD video
        • nvgstplayer --sas="audioconvert ! pulsesink" -i <videofile> - Fullscreen mode
        • nvgstplayer --svs="nvxvimagesink" --sas="audioconvert ! pulsesink" -i <videofile> - Window mode
      Problems:
      • Unity has some problems with performance and ram eating - this is place for optimizations.
      • Going to suspend is freezing device
      • HDMI FullHD is not working (but HD is ok)
      • Bluetooth not working
      • Disable speaker if headphones connected
      • Totem is not support nvidia gstreamer plugins
      • No flash player - only HTML5
      • Skype and any proprietary software (we need ARM binary, not x86)
    • Ubuntu-Touch preview (v0.5.2 2013/03/25)
      Features:
      • Smooth touch interface
      • WiFi support (fixed)
      • Frontal Camera
    • Ubuntu 13.04 - development
      First release features:
      • Packages for specific tf700t and tegra3 components (tf700 ppa)
      • Wayland + Weston + libhybris optional support

Install Manual:
    For now installation is very simple)) No console operations needed!

Requirements:
    • Access to recovery & zip upgrade
    • > 3Gb free space in tf700 /sdcard folder or external storage
    Process:
    1. Get linux-install-0.8.3.zip (12 Mb), (mirror) MD5: 46e458791d232dafa7df49a7b506beca
    2. Get need rootfs:
    3. Copy linux-install-*.zip and rootfs-*.tar.lzma to your SDcard or /sdcard on your tf700
    4. Reboot to recovery mode
    5. Run linux-install-*.zip
    6. Next, next, next ))
    7. Wait, wait...
    8. Done, now you can reboot and see four penguins!
    9. If you have a problem with installation process - please, save install log and attach it to your help request message with good description.

Uninstall:
    Really? I feel so sad :p
    To complete uninstall multiboot & linux you need:
    • Reinstall your Android distributive or kernel part of it (this is replaces bootimage with multiboot)
    • Remove /data/media/linux directory with linux root file systems

Epilogue:
    Currently we have basic linux environment with graphics and internet. For now, Android is more friendly to the user on a Tablet PC, but we can tilt the balance to Ubuntu advantage.

If you have any question about usage - please, post it here.
    Sorry, guys, at the moment I do not have much time for supporting. All general ubuntu questions - please search in google (such as mounting sdcard, etc.).
    I am currently working on the problems with the complete installation by Aroma, migrate to Ubuntu Raring 13.04, problem of the font size, correcting of keyboard keymap, problem with suspend to RAM, totem HW video decoding...

Next release (0.8.0) will be released in near 2 weeks.
    Ubuntu Touch

So, I have some news:
    • I will prepare Ubuntu Touch tar-archive for my updated 0.8.1 installer & bootloader at this weekend)) This is really interesting and good experience! Ubuntu based on low-level android binaries - this is a very interesting solution, which is a clear way in the future.
    • Also I change my basic Android from CROMI to CM.
    Really appreciate you effort! Why not post this in the developers forum, where you might get some good inputs from other brainy people like yourself. :eek:
    I would like to prepare this howto (after stabilization and fixing minor bugs) for general users. But thanx for you response - brainy people do not come here?
    How does this vary from the other Ubuntu effort? Why not combine resources?
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1988170

That would be great! At the moment I'm trying to run their environment using fastboot and find differences. I already sent message to jaybob413 and we try to combine our resources.