(Tip) Disable proximity sensor

Search This thread

blognc

Aug 6, 2006
New York
When my wife got the Aria a couple of months ago, she loved it, and I figured I had finally brought her successfully into the age of smartphones. Now, she HATES it. The reason: The awful proximity sensor, that keeps turning the screen on while she's on the phone, resulting in her cheek hanging up the phone, or making calls while she's on a call.

I actually said to her "Just don't hold the phone that way", before laughing about making an iPhone 4 reference.

There has to be an app to disable the sensor, or configure it differently. I want her to love her phone and get back to playing Angry Birds.

Last edited by a moderator:

Furies

Jul 12, 2010
Does your wife hold the phone in an unconventional way? I've never had any problems with the proximity sensor activating when the phone is placed to my cheek.

I hold my phone in my left hand with the speaker pressed close to my ear (the proximity sensor is in the top right corner of the phone) with the microphone end pulled ever so slightly from my cheek. If I want to check your phone, pull your phone from your ear horizontally from pull it down to view the screen.

As for settings, I would try this one:

Go to Settings > Call Settings > Always use Proximity and UNCHECK this option. I feel like this gives better results in regards to the sensor.
*Please note this setting is found under Cyanogenmod 7, and I'm not clear if this is found under the standard HTC Sense ROM.

Furies

Jul 12, 2010
Note:

Make your wife try hitting the LOCK button as soon she dials her number and hits talk. This should lock your screen and disable the proximity. (Again, im running Cyanogenmod 7 so i dont know if this is true for HTC Sense)

blognc

Aug 6, 2006
New York
Does your wife hold the phone in an unconventional way? I've never had any problems with the proximity sensor activating when the phone is placed to my cheek.

She holds it in the normal way, but since the sensor is on the top right, far from the speaker, and she has a tiny ear, she'd have to hold it in an unusual way to make it work.

As for settings, I would try this one:

Go to Settings > Call Settings > Always use Proximity and UNCHECK this option. I feel like this gives better results in regards to the sensor.
*Please note this setting is found under Cyanogenmod 7, and I'm not clear if this is found under the standard HTC Sense ROM.

I wish. Definitely not in the stock ROM.

blognc

Aug 6, 2006
New York
Note:

Make your wife try hitting the LOCK button as soon she dials her number and hits talk. This should lock your screen and disable the proximity. (Again, im running Cyanogenmod 7 so i dont know if this is true for HTC Sense)

Do you mean the power button? In that case, it definitely doesn't work in the stock ROM. I'm glad to know there's a setting in Cyanogenmod, so worst case I'll flash that. I didn't want to get her involved with flashing, since it isn't wife-friendly, but the poor proximity sensor placement, combined with the just stupid move of the Android devs assuming no one would need such a simple feature, isn't wife-friendly either, so I might as well.

I don't understand how on a phone this small, you don't immediately assume that you will have users smaller than average, and assume smaller ears. The sensor on my Rhodium is WAY closer to the center line, and it's more suited to bigger people.

akira02rex

Nov 7, 2010
I experience the same damn thing as well - it's annoying!!

I mostly have an issue with hitting the "Hold" button. What I did to fix this was to make the phone "left-handed" which moved the "Hold" button to the right-side and it seems I'm less likely to cheek-press it anymore.

This doesn't solve the issue with hitting the End Call button though. The funny thing is, is that it's hard to replicate too! I can literally hold the phone like 1cm away from my head and the screen won't come on - but once in a blue moon I will slightly adjust the phone on my ear while walking/driving and BAM - CALL ENDED! FRACKING ANNOYING!!!! :mad:

darknomad23

Jul 27, 2010
I have replaced my screen and I have the problem where it will not wake unless I remove the battery :/. Tried this and it unfortunately does not disable the sensor, it only supposedly gives you "control" over it.

Damn. I just replaced my glass too and am having the same problem and was about to try this. What other options have you found to fix this problem?

sebbeng

Sep 9, 2010
I have replaced my screen and I have the problem where it will not wake unless I remove the battery :/. Tried this and it unfortunately does not disable the sensor, it only supposedly gives you "control" over it.

works fine here, just have to use the power button to lock and unlock the screen when in an call.

UksusoFF

Jul 31, 2010
Samara
I solved this trouble on HTC Legend by adding
Code:
chmod 0000 /dev/cm3602
to init.d. Try this on your phone guys. thanks tamerlan311 for help

Manxminx

Jan 4, 2011
I solved this trouble on HTC Legend by adding
Code:
chmod 0000 /dev/cm3602
to init.d. Try this on your phone guys. thanks tamerlan311 for help

system/etc/init.d contains files that contain scripts.

Do I add
Code:
chmod 0000 /dev/cm3602
in a new file?

Also, before I do this, can anyone confirm that this script won't brick my phone but will do as mentioned - turn off the proximity sensor?

Thanks.

fmac

Aug 17, 2010
Buenos Aires

Damn. I just replaced my glass too and am having the same problem and was about to try this. What other options have you found to fix this problem?

Guys, I made a post about this (no solution yet)... I thought I was the only one with this strange problem, are you experiencing something similar to this?: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=971300

UksusoFF

Jul 31, 2010
Samara
Guys, I made a post about this (no solution yet)... I thought I was the only one with this strange problem, are you experiencing something similar to this?: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=971300
yep same problem

Do I add
Code:
chmod 0000 /dev/cm3602
in a new file?
I created new file userinit.sh in system/etc/init.d with
Code:
#!/system/bin/sh
#
chmod 0000 /dev/cm3602
chmod 000 /dev/cm3602
and chmod 777 it.
Also, before I do this, can anyone confirm that this script won't brick my phone but will do as mentioned - turn off the proximity sensor?

Thanks.
Yes, i use this solution for a long time, and no problem. Maybe it disable something else but i not to notice.

Reactions: aleksei87

fmac

Aug 17, 2010
Buenos Aires
UksusoFF: Sorry to bother you like this, but can you explain me step by step how do I need to create that file and what code do I need to put in there?
I tried doing it with Root Explorer but it says that the folder is "Read-Only" so I cant create any file in there..
Thanks so much!

UksusoFF

Jul 31, 2010
Samara
UksusoFF: Sorry to bother you like this, but can you explain me step by step how do I need to create that file and what code do I need to put in there?
I tried doing it with Root Explorer but it says that the folder is "Read-Only" so I cant create any file in there..
Thanks so much!
you need root and s-off for do this, and maybe custom recovery. read forum to know how to edit system partition on your phone. i can't write step-by-step manual becouse i don't speak in english =(

TonyStark R.I.P.

Retired Moderator - R.I.P.
May 20, 2008
Malibu Point
Sombody in the know this would be a sought after task.

I, like fmac, would appreciate if someone could give a step by step of how this procedure is done. I'm an Android user but HTC's are a little more touchy then what I'm used to. Rooting is not an issue for me, but whomever writes this up, may want to supply a link on that step for the folks just coming here for the first time. ARIAs have been out for a while and this problems fix is probably going to be heavily sought after.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    tomween1, fmac,
    try put this file (unzip first!) to /data/local/ it must be work in CM7 or maybe lower...
    Ultimate Solution

OK people thanks to UksusoFF 's help and my own Linux background i was able to have my phone fixed and running. No more screen going offs & phone locks!!

I see that many of you had asked for a step by step process on working with the command line for disabling the proximity censor right?:cool:

Well here it goes folks , the complete step by step:

1 - You have to be ROOT to complete this task so ROOT your phone (There are many links on google on HowTo ROOT your phone so do it!!!)
    2- Open the Emulator on your phone.
    3- Type su - and make sure that $ sign changes to # meaning you are the ROOT User now and can make serious changes to your device's system.

4- Insert the following commands in the Emulator

# cd /data/local
    # touch userinit.sh
    # echo "#!/system/bin/sh" > userinit.sh
    # echo "#" >> userinit.sh
    # echo "chmod 0000 /dev/cm3602" >> userinit.sh
    # echo "chmod 000 /dev/cm3602" >> userinit.sh
    # chmod 777 userinit.sh

5- Now verify that the file exists
    # cat userinit.sh (You should see the information inserted above appearing).

6- Restart your phone

If you have done it right , your phone should be fine now. Starting now You will be in charge of turning on/off your screen instead of the proximity censor.

Hope it works for ya:rolleyes:

Cheers!:p
    yep same problem

Do I add
    Code:
    chmod 0000 /dev/cm3602
    in a new file?
    I created new file userinit.sh in system/etc/init.d with
    Code:
    #!/system/bin/sh
    #
    chmod 0000 /dev/cm3602
    chmod 000 /dev/cm3602
    and chmod 777 it.

Thanks.
    Yes, i use this solution for a long time, and no problem. Maybe it disable something else but i not to notice.
    I have that same problem. i cant wake the screen up to end a call. Do you know a fix?
    If you on CM7 or 6 put file from #25 post, and go to Settings - CM Settings - Input and check on "Trackball wake". And now, after call screen will be wake up by pressing trackball and\or power button
    If you on CM7 or 6 put file from #25 post, and go to Settings - CM Settings - Input and check on "Trackball wake". And now, after call screen will be wake up by pressing trackball and\or power button

Hi Aria Fans,
    I just wanted to report that I just successfully tested the suggested fix from post #25 on my Aria loaded with CM7.1.0 [9-Oct-2011] (I had the same amazingly frustrating issue with the faulty proximity sensor and the screen blanking during calls).

You can use either ADB or Root Explorer to copy the <userinit.sh> script file into the \data\local\ directory (you will of course need root access). Just reboot after copying the file. I also recommend selecting the "Trackball Wake" setting as well.

Wow, is all I can say - I now have a usable phone!!