stock messaging app from older versions of Android

Search This thread

jessieh3527

May 9, 2014
My Nexus 5 came with Hangouts and I hate it. I'll admit I am old and do not want all of the bells and whistles.
Is there a way to get the basic texting app that came on earlier versions of Android?

G1ForFun

Retired Forum Moderator
Feb 1, 2010
My Nexus 5 came with Hangouts and I hate it. I'll admit I am old and do not want all of the bells and whistles.
Is there a way to get the basic texting app that came on earlier versions of Android?

Yep. Root your phone and flash a custom ROM. I am on Purity right now and have been using the old messaging app flawlessly.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

franklinmomo

Jun 6, 2010
You might want to search for "8sms" on the play store. I think its what you're looking for without having to bother rooting your phone.

diesel2k

Mar 6, 2010

I am running stock with the MMS app from Purity ROM. Simply download purity rom and find the mms.apk copy to phone and install. Thats all it takes, and the MMS app is like the stock but enhanced.