The OUYA console... is it doomed? Inquiring minds want to know...

Do you plan to purchase a OUYA gaming console?

• Yes.

Votes: 213 47.9%
  • No.

Votes: 107 24.0%
  • Haven't decided.

Votes: 125 28.1%

• Total voters
Search This thread

joewong1991

Aug 2, 2012
I was all excited when first announced now it seems like old news and it's still not out

Sent from my HTC One X using xda premium

rushless

Jan 16, 2008
I can not see how the OUYA is making money on the device, since they have to pay the contract manufacturer for the units, marketing, staff, etc and their company is not getting the $100 price, since the retailers are. Seems they are losing money on the devices and hoping to get it back and a profit through their market and spare controllers, etc.

Simple point I make is the custom market could be iffy, since there could be a lot of people like me who do not want to buy Android apps that work on one device. That is unless the apps will work on other devices, but that creates it's own issues to their model from an install base standpoint. That said, if they are making money on the apps and losing less money through selling less hardware: Winning! Call it the semi-Sega model.

raptir

May 4, 2010
I can not see how the OUYA is making money on the device, since they have to pay the contract manufacturer for the units, marketing, staff, etc and their company is not getting the $100 price, since the retailers are. Seems they are losing money on the devices and hoping to get it back and a profit through their market and spare controllers, etc.

Simple point I make is the custom market could be iffy, since there could be a lot of people like me who do not want to buy Android apps that work on one device. That is unless the apps will work on other devices, but that creates it's own issues to their model from an install base standpoint. That said, if they are making money on the apps and losing less money through selling less hardware: Winning! Call it the semi-Sega model.

Eh, the Nexus 7 was estimated to cost $184 to produce. The Ouya has the same processor (almost), no display (including the touch layer) and no battery. Plus the Nexus 7 was released months ago. I doubt they're making much of a profit on it, but I also doubt they're losing a lot on each unit.

pcrat

Oct 22, 2010
michigan
I hope someone releases an overclocked kernal for it, so we can get some real power :D

more power is pointless, the games dont need it, and even with it, it wont make the games any better, Remember it slike trying to polish a turd, in the end its still a turd.

This is not a ps3, has a strong GPU and cpu for what its worth but you will never see CALL OF DUTY or HALO on this thing.
this is ment for angry birds and pinball,
I really dont see me wasting money on this, i dont see it going very far.

But if all the games can be store on the system and not use discs or anything external. that would be a huge plus. sucks playing a quick game of tetris then have to get up and change discs lol.

you may not be playing COD or Halo on Ouya, but there will be some clone or similar game. They're already there for Android.

I don't think it's destined to fail. It'll be a bit more niche. I think it has the potential to do well, especially since it's going to be Amazon and in some major retails such as Target. It's going to get in people's hands.

A lot of it just depends on one's definition of success and expectations on the device; especially in regards to games. Not many people thought much of Roku media player box. I preordered that one; it was called a Netflix Player by Roku. Now, it's very popular. By no means do I think the Ouya can't fail. I can see how it can do well and fill a need/want.

Azurael

Jan 3, 2008
Bath
I was really quite excited about Ouya when I first heard about it. Now it's taken so long to get to market? Not so much. To be honest, $99 isn't really very good value for a device that, okay, has nice game controllers... But there are Chinese 'stick' Android devices that are as, or more powerful, for half the price. And you can actually get those, now.

My main interest was to use Ouya as a media streaming box with a lot more flexibility and a decent browser. But if I really did care about gaming on a TV but using a device with far less 'oomph' than the PS3, 360 and PC that are hooked up to said TV, I don't see what would stop me pairing up a PS3 controller...

I'm assuming there will be hardware refreshes down the line - maybe if it doesn't take them a year to get the next one from announcement into the public's hands, I'll be more interested then.

djbenny1

Apr 9, 2011
surely the smart thing to do would have been to make it compatible with google play?

why the hell would they want to compete with nintendo / microsoft / sony? just doesnt make sense?

rushless

Jan 16, 2008
Seems this and the Game Stick are trying to force people into buying apps just for their devices, so there are now more fragmented stores. Play, Slideme, Amazon, Ouya and Gamestick. Soon to follow a Shield store too?

Not seeing how these proprietary stores gain enough install base to make money and pay for the total investment... Wait, they got Kickstart bucks, so other people's money to help out. It will be very interesting to see how these devices are received by consumers.

I kind of agree that the sticks already out seems more appealing since already work with controllers, media streaming, USB hubs and more importantly, the Play store. If one of the current OEMs release an update with a Tegra 3, that might do some damage to both proprietary devices.

eksasol

Nov 22, 2009
I was really quite excited about Ouya when I first heard about it. Now it's taken so long to get to market? Not so much. To be honest, $99 isn't really very good value for a device that, okay, has nice game controllers... But there are Chinese 'stick' Android devices that are as, or more powerful, for half the price. And you can actually get those, now.
Have to disagree with that. I own one of those chinese Android sticks, while they are can be good for the price, not all of them are reliable and are easy for consumers, they are more for the geeks and niche group. The stick I got come with issues that force me to do some soldering to fix the WiFi issue.The Ouya have a proper support and looks like it have good build quality and with warranty. It's something I can see being sold in brick and mortar store for regular folks.

Otherwise, you should never buy a tablet made by brand names like Samsung or ASUS, but go for one of those cheap Chinese tablet, with no warranty (even if it does have it, can be very hard to get a replacement), shoddy build quality, battery goes dead or charging port break shortly after buying, no support, no CyanogenMod support, poor development. Now I am aware just about everything is made in China anyway, but there is varying level of quality assurance and support depending on who make the device. They are not going to buy some random chinese sticks. As soon as the Ouya is released I'm going to ditch the chinese Android stick.

I do agree that no PlayStore (by default) on the Ouya is a terrible idea, same terrible idea as the Kindle Fire. I don't have any problems with multi-stores, it just allow more options. If you can't deal with this, stick with Apple and iOS. I know it'll be very easily for people who are used to root and sideloading to install the PlayStore, but its still a terrible idea for them to not to work with Google to have it included or just not want to include it.

Also the title of this thread is outdated, its already proven there are lots of interests for this device.

Last edited:

eksasol

Nov 22, 2009
The catch is the Ouya apparently blocks their own market if the device is rooted.
For one I can see their reasoning, there are developers who state they don't want to develop for Android because of of piracy issues. So this decision might put some of them at ease, though there are always work around.

(I don't advocate piracy), but Jelly Bean have gone to some good measures to prevent backing up purchased apk, though there are ways to get around it with root. So that's most likely why Ouys decided this.

For me, I can just sideload. But some of the thing you brought up like no PlayStore and root restriction might make me do more research before jumping on this. I don't want to end up like with the Kindle Fire where's it's too locked down, but I'm probably over reacting. I mainly want to use AOSP on the Ouya, I run strictly AOSP based roms on all my Android devices, so as long as rom developers have interests in it then I will get one.

Sent from XDA app

Last edited:

rushless

Jan 16, 2008
If the app is DRM protected, it will not side load unless the device is rooted. The catch then is no Ouya store.

I still think that Ouya's intentions though undertandable could backfire. They might find a lot of people that buy the device root it and just use for emulators and their own Play games. They might get forced into relenting to Play as an absolute last resort.

The key then would be exclusive content, or getting the devs to only update control function for them. Considering the Play store will give the devs more sales, I doubt that will happen. I am talking myself into buying one just as an emulator and MAME station. Not for the Ouya paid apps.

tuktukscotty

Aug 17, 2010
Bridlington
Google Pixel 4
I will definitely be buying one. I'm not worried about no play store as someone will soon work a way around it. Look how fast things come out for one device and people port it to another....

for the price they are charging, it's not the end of the world if it isn't as good as it is anticipated.

tcb4

Dec 25, 2011
Idk, I like the ouya, but I'd be willing to pay a 50 dollar premium for a one of qualcomm's snapdragon 600s or samsung's exynos 5250 at it's full 2 ghz with the gpu upped as well.

Serilei

Mar 29, 2013
I am quite interested in this myself, I wonder how the resolution will play out on 1080p screens though, or it is going to look kind of choppy.. I hope for the best and would definitely pick one up.

eksasol

Nov 22, 2009
Idk, I like the ouya, but I'd be willing to pay a 50 dollar premium for a one of qualcomm's snapdragon 600s or samsung's exynos 5250 at it's full 2 ghz with the gpu upped as well.
Sorry, but to get a licensing deal with Samsung or Qualcomm to have one of those new gen chips will probably involve multi-millions dollar deal that Ouya people simply do not have. And it probably going to end up raising the end product cost more than just $50. See: cost of the Nvidia Shield device, and that's with in-house chip.

Might want to wait till they have a version with Tegra4 in that case.

Sent from XDA app

---------- Post added at 07:54 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:47 AM ----------

I am quite interested in this myself, I wonder how the resolution will play out on 1080p screens though, or it is going to look kind of choppy.. I hope for the best and would definitely pick one up.
It has the Tegra3 chip, it will handle 1080p videos just fine, as for 3d games on 1080p, depend on the game. YouTube "Tegra 3 1080p game".

Sent from XDA app

Last edited:

rushless

Jan 16, 2008
Sorry, but to get a licensing deal with Samsung or Qualcomm to have one of those new gen chips will probably involve multi-millions dollar deal that Ouya people simply do not have. And it probably going to end up raising the end product cost more than just $50. See: cost of the Nvidia Shield device, and that's with in-house chip.

Might want to wait till they have a version with Tegra4 in that case.

Sent from XDA app

---------- Post added at 07:54 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:47 AM ----------

It has the Tegra3 chip, it will handle 1080p videos just fine, as for 3d games on 1080p, depend on the game. YouTube "Tegra 3 1080p game".

Sent from XDA app

The problem still remains that there is not enough app storage space for 3D games, beyond small home grown games. Games from Gameloft and EA will not be practical on this device.

I think a premium version of this device would actually sell BETTER than the $100 version. This device needs at least 16GB app storage and they could apply a more premium chipset- in Qualcomm purchase batches of at least 1,000. Charge $150 or $180 for the device. Most gamers would choose this config over the current one. At any rate, they should have put 16GB in the current device and counted on the app sales.

I think folks here are not appreciating the fallout the low app space will almost certainly have- that is if the company is assuming people will buy apps to make them money (they are depending on it). About 6GB of available app space is pure NUTS for a gaming device. They have designed a device that will result in constrained app sales.

Still, big thanks to Ouya, since will provide me a very very low cost MAME station :)

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I've already got a Viewsonic G Tablet set up upstairs as a media center with HBO Go and Netflix, I dump 720p movies on the microsd card and have all my NES, SNES, Master System and Genesis games on there.
    I love it.
    Problem is I hate moving the dock and cables every time I want to put it downstairs for the kids to play games or watch movies.
    I paid $350 total for my Gtab, dock and a Bluetooth game controller.
    A Roku box that only does video streaming is $100.
    Ouya is $99 and ships with a controller and is MEANT to connect to a tv!
    Hell yeah I'm getting one!
    I can leave my tablet upstairs, leave the little cube tucked away, and enjoy my movies, shows and games two different places without the fuss.

Look, I've got a pretty beefy PC I play my big boy games on like Borderlands 2 and Skyrim, and all the nieces and nephews don't care is its Super Mario World, NBA Jam, or the latest greatest console games, and honestly I prefer retro gaming most of the time myself anyways. I can't help it, I grew up on Atari, Intellivision, Nintendo and Sega. Nostalgia is a very powerful thing.
    Graphics on mobile devices happen to be moving along fast, I've seen some Square RPGs and a few sports games that look on par to the PS2.
    Look, it's all fun and games anyways.
    If you like the concept, buy one, if you don't care for it, avoid it.
    I think best case scenario they can hope for is becoming a niche platform for android-nerds. Why? Because there is no market for such device. Casual gamers are quite happy with what they get from smartphone industry and PC-facebook-gaming stuff. More hard-core gamers will want bleeding-edge graphics and high-end performance. Without any real GPU on board OUYA will just stay behind. From the software standpoint, Android is a great system but, with sandboxing and multitasking environment, it is not very well prepared for running performance-demanding games.

But still.. I think I will buy it.
    It seems interesting and I do want to have one but I kinda want to see what games it gets first before buying, if it doesn't have anything that'll interest me then it would be a waste.
    First, I was an earlier KS backer.

Those who have order one by now, release this is not meant necessarily to complete with an Xbox or Playstation. They're going after a slightly different gaming market.

The problem I see with Ouya is that it can be a bit of redundant machine. What does it do that can't be done with a decent smartphone? You may need a rooted phone, but one can hook up a controller, connect to a TV. It's more the mobile game developers adding in controller support. That said, talk about annoying trying up your phone to play games. Having to hook up the phone to the TV every time.

But I think it could be a nice entry point for small game developers to get into the livingroom. New developers to try to get into the market without going broke or closing the doors if a game fails. Allow gamer to fiddle with their consoles.

On the positive side, if the Wii can find success, maybe there is a room for something like the Ouya too. The Wii showed, if it's fun to play, a cheap machine can make it.

---------- Post added at 04:10 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:09 AM ----------

Plus with announcement it's going to be sold a Target, Bestbuy, Amazon and a few other stores, will help with getting numbers sold, which can help bring some of the bigger game developers to the platform.
    I have my Ouya, my intentions were not just to have an little gaming console but something that is an Mutlimedia Console. I know a lot of people who aren't getting it for the gaming but because of it's small form factor, hdmi out, usb(usb hubs do work to expand, I've tested with USB storage, keyboard, mouse, SNES usb controller, all worked on 1 hub expansion), ethernet, built in wifi/bluetooth, you can do basically what most tablets/phones do but tie that into a home-user experience.

I wanted to be able to watch my collection of movies and TV shows over DLNA or UPNP. (Tested with XBMC, works good, need to do the DTS ffmpeg custom audio codec setup with XMBC)

I wanted to be able to play classic SNES, NES, Sega, N64 games on a big TV. (Already have 800+ SNES, 2k+ Nes, 100+ N64, 500+ Sega. Only SNES has been tested to work great with SNES9X emu)

I want to watch YouTube, Netflix, Hulu, and Crunchyroll on this thing too, but some of those apps have been said they were making Ouya verisons. (Netflix and Crunchyroll work with just plain sideloading, not optimized for TV tho, like UI wise, videos look fine tho. YouTube needs google service framework to work and I can't get it working correctly. I'm an novice when it comes to identifying logcat error.)

If you guys haven't noticed, this forum is pretty dead or very low discussion about games and other development, but at http://ouyaforum.com/forum.php , there are some pretty amazing games people are making and much more discussion about the console. I think XDA won't play an factor until we can secure an safe flash recovery(soonish) and we need kernel source to be able to make more customized ROMS.