LG must use thermal compound

Search This thread

Billy Madison

Dec 31, 2011
Guys, look at this
This is pathetic results for SD800. And the reason of so low bench results is absence of thermal pad on the SoC.
This was the case with first Nexus 4 http://xdaforums.com/nexus-4/general/hardmod-nexus-4-investigating-thermal-t2144652, the same is with Nexus 5 http://xdaforums.com/google-nexus-5/general/guide-nexus-5s-throttling-solved-adding-t2627714 and the same goes to LGG2.
I mean, when I spend $600+ for expensive phone I want it perform better than competitors' ones, I mean Xperia Z1, Note 3, Xperia Z Ultra. I what my bang for the buck

What do you think? Would you buy G Pro 2 or LG G3 if they will lack thermal grease too?

Reactions: anja31

ChrisM75

Nov 2, 2013
Benchmarks mean nothing, the phone runs fine and quickly, games play fine at good frame rates, so its pointless doing this.

Transferring heat away from a components thats designed to handle it to a component that isnt is a bad idea. You may not think the screen is getting heated, but there a layers of very insulating glass between you and the LCD, you wont be aware just how warm it is. Heat affects LCDs, in time you might end up with a dark spot where the CPU is.

mgolder

Jun 21, 2010
Chorley
Guys, look at this
This is pathetic results for SD800. And the reason of so low bench results is absence of thermal pad on the SoC.
This was the case with first Nexus 4 http://xdaforums.com/nexus-4/general/hardmod-nexus-4-investigating-thermal-t2144652, the same is with Nexus 5 http://xdaforums.com/google-nexus-5/general/guide-nexus-5s-throttling-solved-adding-t2627714 and the same goes to LGG2.
I mean, when I spend $600+ for expensive phone I want it perform better than competitors' ones, I mean Xperia Z1, Note 3, Xperia Z Ultra. I what my bang for the buck

What do you think? Would you buy G Pro 2 or LG G3 if they will lack thermal grease too?

What exactly is the "bang for your buck" that you require? What does the G2 not do for you that the Note 3 or Z1 does that is so crucial to daily life?

Because if it is just benchmarks, then as mentioned above, they mean nothing.

B

bachera

Guys, look at this

not long ago the g2 rocked the benchmarks mwahhaha so there with your thermal grease

zathus

Aug 25, 2009
Benchmarks are the worse thing to ever happen to android. You would think that the moto x with its "out of date" specs still running smoother then the s5 would prove once and for all that benchmark scores are pointless. I don't care if the note 3 or s5 put up record breaking omg wtf fml scores...it still lags and mine doesn't! Lol....

Sent from my VS980 4G

---------- Post added at 06:37 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:30 AM ----------

To add to this.... lets say you bought 2 cars. Both cost the same, one car says 700 hp, 0-60 in 3 seconds. The second car has 300 hp, 0-60 in 6 seconds. But once you get on the road, the 300 hp drives better, feels faster in every way and gets much better gas mileage. There's what's on paper, and there's real life.

Sent from my VS980 4G

Reactions: bayuadhi069
B

bachera

Benchmark d*ck swinging - The rankings equivalent of being the moron who still says 'FIRST' on a comments section

lol, I dont mind good benchmarks, there just arent any on android that measure fluidness/real life snappyness.

First! after the guy who doesnt like firsts.

bweN diorD

Jun 12, 2011
but user experience increased a lot right? ui flluidness/ opening of apps?

i dont see it. my phone was snappy and fluid before the update, its the same now.

as for the benchmark comments. i agree to a degree that they dont mean a lot, but a 25-35% drop seems a bit extreme for an update.
seems like they boosted the benches to boost sales when it was new.

chaki-

Apr 3, 2012
Banana Paradise
The fluidity and the battery are awesome. I love everything on that phone. Even if LG doesn't keep it updated it will still be one great phone that i own/ed...

Billy Madison

Dec 31, 2011
Its pathetic you ACTUALLY care about benchmarks, lol.
I don't care bout benches, I care about what I paid for, and I use, as everyone else does, benches to prove that my item works as intended. Did you hear about lags when doing spherical panoramas? when phone overheats and process too long, longer than it must? It's the same story. Did you hear about "slow focus" in G2? Everybody did. Maybe it partly is because of early frequency drop, maybe not so.

And not only I care for benchmarks, look there http://blog.gsmarena.com/lg-g2-jelly-bean-vs-kitkat-benchmark-battle/

mgolder

Jun 21, 2010
Chorley
I don't care bout benches, I care about what I paid for, and I use, as everyone else does, benches to prove that my item works as intended. Did you hear about lags when doing spherical panoramas? when phone overheats and process too long, longer than it must? It's the same story. Did you hear about "slow focus" in G2? Everybody did. Maybe it partly is because of early frequency drop, maybe not so.

And not only I care for benchmarks, look there http://blog.gsmarena.com/lg-g2-jelly-bean-vs-kitkat-benchmark-battle/

But you didn't pay for a device that guarantees you any particular score in artificially inflated benchmark tests though. No manufacturer will launch a device guaranteeing someone a set score all the time. So what is it that you think you should have that you haven't got now? I thin that is what we can't understand.

Billy Madison

Dec 31, 2011
But you didn't pay for a device that guarantees you any particular score in artificially inflated benchmark tests though. No manufacturer will launch a device guaranteeing someone a set score all the time. So what is it that you think you should have that you haven't got now? I thin that is what we can't understand.

Man, I want it to not lag earlyer than do another smartphones. Did you hear of lags when playing Spiderman 2? I've heard that G2 is not capable of playing this recent new game smoothly, as device with SD800 should. OK I don't play Spiderman2 and did not by to play benchmarks, I only use benchmarks as examples that internally G2, Nexus 4, Nexus 5 do not constructed properly. And as I did http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2299888 when I complained of improper color temperatures of G Pro LG reacted and made G2 display perfectly calibrated and on par with HTC One and iPhone 5S. So I think that in future G3 they'll do something with SoC cooling and improve performance when gaming for long time

B

bachera

These things have nothing to do with benchmarks:

Did you hear about lags when doing spherical panoramas?Overheating can be many things, I have yet to find a phone that doesnt overheat sometimes. Usually a clean instal fixes this nicely. Its Android I guess and faulty install scenarios.

It's the same story. Did you hear about "slow focus" in G2? -> slow focus is the automatic focus, press on screen where you want focus and its almost instant. Google camera is pretty good. there are other settings that can tweak this.

That said, benchmarks in my opinion do nothing good for true user experience.

I do believe Android needs to step up on the user experience game as my comments above prove enough that this device, I say all android devices, need to much customization to be perfect. All these workarounds :) To fix these real issues that some users find anoying, not higher benchmarks are needed.

Last edited:
B

bachera

lol, and does kitkat score less in that? didnt see you post scores once with that nor found your arguments on it.Stop trolling yourself and post some proof then.

so my arguments from that standingpoint still hold.

I also couldnt find it featured on any major android website, wonder why.

the one benchmarktool I dont know, its only got 33 reviews, hardly antutu level. wonder if its representative.

This could be a benchmark that actually does measure some important stuff I am talking about. Interesting. thanks for sharing

omg the downloading is soo slow wow

Last edited:
B

bachera

ok ran the benchmark. but I am not impressed as it benchmarks with its own gui, not the actual phones gui. Also it doesnt benchmark the panorama shots or any camera shots for that matter.

I guess I wasnt wrong after all... sad was hoping big on this benchmarking tool to finally have a representative view of a gui from a user point of view.

abhinav.tella

Jan 8, 2011
Minneapolis
People, so upsest with benchmarks, its not like its a gaming computer/server where you squeeze every bit of performance regardless of powerdraw etc, its a phone lol, and its smoother than before KitKat.:) Xperia Z is a good example of benchmarks vs sucking in real life ex horrible battery life....

Billy Madison

Dec 31, 2011
ok ran the benchmark. but I am not impressed as it benchmarks with its own gui, not the actual phones gui. Also it doesnt benchmark the panorama shots or any camera shots for that matter.

I guess I wasnt wrong after all... sad was hoping big on this benchmarking tool to finally have a representative view of a gui from a user point of view.

Well, from the user point of view you should your Gallery scroll, Zoom scroll, list scroll results. The gallery scroll is what fubar in LG's UI. It scores around 35-37FPS, right? But on the Nexus it scores 50-55 fps or near. All other scrolls on LG are pretty near 60 fps, so as on every other smartphone and all right with them. But gallery scroll is bad. Did you use Tapatalk ever? Have you noticed when you try to swipe from right to left to open next page the tapatalk just stagger, hangs for .5sec, and then completes the move? It shouldn't, scroll must be buttery as is in HTC phones

People, so upsest with benchmarks, its not like its a gaming computer/server where you squeeze every bit of performance regardless of powerdraw etc.

Check my hwbot prime score it is 1688 and compare to Nexus 5 scores that has same MSM8974A packed in LG box. 2923 points. pretty 50% increase just because of software, huh. Or the next result , 3075

abhinav.tella

Jan 8, 2011
Minneapolis
Well, from the user point of view you should your Gallery scroll, Zoom scroll, list scroll results. The gallery scroll is what fubar in LG's UI. It scores around 35-37FPS, right? But on the Nexus it scores 50-55 fps or near. All other scrolls on LG are pretty near 60 fps, so as on every other smartphone and all right with them. But gallery scroll is bad. Did you use Tapatalk ever? Have you noticed when you try to swipe from right to left to open next page the tapatalk just stagger, hangs for .5sec, and then completes the move? It shouldn't, scroll must be buttery as is in HTC phones

Check my hwbot prime score it is 1688 and compare to Nexus 5 scores that has same MSM8974A packed in LG box. 2923 points. pretty 50% increase just because of software, huh. Or the next result , 3075

OK, since you mentioned it I did that and got 2745 in HBOT Prime which is not too far off from the N5.

As for HTC I agree, since the One X days they have gone pretty far, they are probably best Android manufacturer at Battery/Performance optimization IMO, and Sony is the worst.
My HTC Butterfly (Int DNA) with 2000 mAh battery lasts longer than the Xperia Z (2330 mAh) per charge. Sony Exmor cameras in iPhone and Galaxy S4 perform better than the Z1. At least LG aren't like Sony. :D

Attachments

• HBOT.jpg
    HBOT.jpg
    141.8 KB · Views: 704
Last edited:

Billy Madison

Dec 31, 2011
OK, since you mentioned it I did that and got 2745 in HBOT Prime which is not too far off from the N5.

So, well, at least it is for me to think over, is it something wrong with my unit or its just my latest ROM with knock code has bad optimization, and it will be improved in future. Or, maybe, my PVS of 3 has to do with too early heating of SoC than yours CPU. Maybe you have PVS of 0 or 1

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Benchmarks mean nothing, the phone runs fine and quickly, games play fine at good frame rates, so its pointless doing this.

Transferring heat away from a components thats designed to handle it to a component that isnt is a bad idea. You may not think the screen is getting heated, but there a layers of very insulating glass between you and the LCD, you wont be aware just how warm it is. Heat affects LCDs, in time you might end up with a dark spot where the CPU is.

Now this is becoming ridiculous to the point that G3 Prime Cat 6 still lags like he11 in Asphalt 8 even having adreno 420 onboard
    Guys, look at this

Benchmarks are the worse thing to ever happen to android. You would think that the moto x with its "out of date" specs still running smoother then the s5 would prove once and for all that benchmark scores are pointless. I don't care if the note 3 or s5 put up record breaking omg wtf fml scores...it still lags and mine doesn't! Lol....

Sent from my VS980 4G

---------- Post added at 06:37 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:30 AM ----------

To add to this.... lets say you bought 2 cars. Both cost the same, one car says 700 hp, 0-60 in 3 seconds. The second car has 300 hp, 0-60 in 6 seconds. But once you get on the road, the 300 hp drives better, feels faster in every way and gets much better gas mileage. There's what's on paper, and there's real life.

Sent from my VS980 4G
    When I disassembled and cleaned the motherboard of my G4 after accidentally taking it into a pool, I noticed the Snapdragon CPU had this sticker over it.
    It didn't seem like it would transfer heat particularly well to the metal frame, so I bought some 0.5mm thermal pads and cut a square out to put on the CPU.
    It seems to have made a significant difference just from the amount of heat I can feel.

The thermal pads I bought are Alphacool Eisschicht 0.5mm 14W/mK: https://www.pccasegear.com/products/32433
    There's also a 17W/mK version, but it costs significantly more.
    I'm also not sure how much difference there would be between the one I bought and other cheaper ones.
    I'm guessing it would be not nearly as much as the difference between having a thermal pad and not having one.