New device, how to deal with charge

Search This thread

reynierpm

Nov 12, 2010
Florida
dynamotechnology.com
Hi there, I own a Nexus 5 recently. The phone arrives soon and by everyone is know that battery comes with some charge. Should I leave discharge the battery complete and then charge back or how is this procedure in order to not kill the battery and gain a good calibration?

I have an extra question, is there any problem for battery if I leave the USB cable connected all the time even if battery is full?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

jd1639

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
Minnesota
Just charge it, don't fully discharge it and use it normally. You don't need to worry about calibrating

teh roxxorz

Nov 21, 2010
Just charge it, don't fully discharge it and use it normally. You don't need to worry about calibrating

You can use as normal..I normally drain it.

And in general, when dealing with lithium ion batteries, leaving them plugged in excessively when fully charged kills the battery in the long run

Reactions: Visa Declined

shotta35

Nov 30, 2008
NYC & Germany

And in general, when dealing with lithium ion batteries, leaving them plugged in excessively when fully charged kills the battery in the long run

Bad form on both counts. Li-ON batteries shouldn't be deep discharged. They have built in circuitry to prevent ACTUAL 0% (they shut down before getting to real 0%) but still not good to run it down to 5% all the time.

Unless you have some crappy charger & phone, the IC in the phone will instruct the charger to kill power when it's full so leaving it plugged in all the time wont make a difference - this is for a phone.

This is not the same and not for the same reasons in laptops. Reason it's not so good is if your laptop has crappy cooling system or like some people need it on "Performance" all the time because they don't want their CPUs "slowing them down". As a result of the heat from the system now going into idle state, the battery lifespan degrades. This is where your "plugged in all the time" stance comes from but it's not valid with all applications.

Reactions: eyeisdasteve

teh roxxorz

Nov 21, 2010
Bad form on both counts. Li-ON batteries shouldn't be deep discharged. They have built in circuitry to prevent ACTUAL 0% (they shut down before getting to real 0%) but still not good to run it down to 5% all the time.

Unless you have some crappy charger & phone, the IC in the phone will instruct the charger to kill power when it's full so leaving it plugged in all the time wont make a difference - this is for a phone.

This is not the same and not for the same reasons in laptops. Reason it's not so good is if your laptop has crappy cooling system or like some people need it on "Performance" all the time because they don't want their CPUs "slowing them down". As a result of the heat from the system now going into idle state, the battery lifespan degrades. This is where your "plugged in all the time" stance comes from but it's not valid with all applications.

Well very true, and I have an electronics background, so I know what works and what's alright. Discharging it is fine.

ItzCrooK2UxD

Nov 10, 2011
Orlando, FL
Actually Shotta35 is 100% correct with regards to deep discharges and li-ion batteries. There is a write up I did in 2012 about battery care from a hardware prospective in my sig, and it has nothing to do with battery memory. teh roxxorz is also right about leaving batteries plugged in for extended periods of time. More energy = more heat = shorter lifesan.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.