How to root with stupid knox

Search This thread

rckingws6

Jun 10, 2009
how do you disable driver signature in windows 8

This worked for me as well. I'd just like to point out to anyone running windows 8 x64 that you must disable driver signature verification before installing Kingo root, as you might get stuck on the "connecting to device" step.

Also, I removed everything that had KNOX in it, the KNOX icon, and secure container apps as well. There's also an app with a two tone shield that I removed. No problems after rebooting, TWRP Is installed as well. Thanks OP.

JBizzleFoSho

Jan 4, 2011
Poor timing has gotten the best of me. I just had my phone replaced and the new one came with the update already. Is there a way to get root without tripping the KNOX counter?

lorjay589

Oct 25, 2010
GB
meettomy.site
Poor timing has gotten the best of me. I just had my phone replaced and the new one came with the update already. Is there a way to get root without tripping the KNOX counter?

SMH and this is exactly what i told the guy who was ranting about KNOX and how powerful and expensive it is, and telling people to avoid it, but go in the 4.3 discussion thread and go a few days back i said even if you avoid knox and break your phone, your replacement is gonna come with it on there so why not deal with knox now, And guess what i was right again, but lucky we fixed the problem.

digiblur

Jul 24, 2007
Think I am going to go back stock and let the update eat. I prefer getting all the update pieces like the nvram tweaks etc. I will just deal with the Knox thing. Anything weird about loading twrp or cwm?

cajun9924

Dec 24, 2012
Thats what i did just took the update and rooted and flashed twrp tar. in odin with no problem ....warranty void but if i need then i will go back. Everything went as usual. i also removed knox files

Last edited:

na_tra

Feb 14, 2010
worked just fine.. I'd like to know if someone can post the list of the exact apps to delete or the exact name of all the files and folders to delete to avoid confusion ..

Thanks a lot!!:good::good:

Can you please tell the step to root the MK4? This is how I understand:

First, install the update MK4. Then, install the Google Kingo Root app and follow the OP instruction from there!

Am I correct?

Thanks.

Last edited:
Can you please tell the step to root the MK4? This is how I understand:

First, install the update MK4. Then, install the Google Kingo Root app and follow the OP instruction from there!

Am I correct?

Thanks.

You have to be running stock unrooted MC2 then install the MK4 update, then just follow the instructions on the OP.

Reactions: na_tra

Tungsten c

Mar 3, 2011
Hey guys two question:
1) where do I get Kingo root
2) I am stocked rooted MC2

I must remove root prior to update correct?

Thanks

Reactions: tarellel

na_tra

Feb 14, 2010
Hey guys two question:
1) where do I get Kingo root
2) I am stocked rooted MC2

I must remove root prior to update correct?

Thanks

I dont have to remove root. If you update the official mk4, you will lose root after the update. If you just want stock root mk4, you can get that too. Here is the easiest way for me:

http://honai-android.blogspot.com/2013/11/how-to-root-galaxy-note-2-sprint-sph.html?m=1

You can then install TB to freeze the KNOX. Here is how:

http://honai-android.blogspot.com/2013/11/how-to-root-galaxy-note-2-sprint-sph.html?m=1

But you will not have wifi tether. I like the mk4 but can't lose the wifi tether. So i flashed back mc2 using back to stock unroot mc2 by Billard412 in this thread:

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2086769

Last edited:

Tungsten c

Mar 3, 2011
I dont have to remove root. If you update the official mk4, you will lose root after the update. If you just want stock root mk4, you can get that too. Here is the easiest way for me:

You can then install TB to freeze the KNOX. Here is how:

But you will not have wifi tether. I like the mk4 but can't lose the wifi tether. So i flashed back mc2 using back to stock unroot mc2 by Billard412 in this thread:

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2086769

Thank you, hopefully they will fix(find a way around it) the WIFI Tether. I believe that is also the problem on the S4. How convenient of then to remove WIFI Tether when upgrading.

Thanks again.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Use this Google Kingo Root app

1. Let it install driver

2. Let SuperSu keep trying to get access and phone will keep rebooting because of knox

3. Eventually the program is going to try to root thru Odin

4. Download Root Explorer or another file browser who need root access

5. Now go in root and delete
    system/app = knox apps
    system/container = knox apps
    etc/secure-storage = knox folder
    libs/ = libKnox

6. When done install SuperSu from the market.

7. Let it update SU.

8. Done!!!!!!!!!!!!! enjoy root, bye bye KNOX
    1-19-2014 - ******UPDATE********

I've tried numerous ways of rooting my Note 2 SPH-L900 edition with KNOX pre-loaded and I was only successful with one...

.... Which was renaming the extension of the KNOX files from .apk to .apk.bak using Aroma File Manager and then updating super SU binaries

KNOX was a major PITA!!!! It was blocking EVERY single method of rooting imaginable (super SU... and etc...etc.)

Here are the steps I took to root my phone (in that exact order). It worked for me, it may or may not work for you:

1. Wiped my phone clean using stock factory reset.

2. Downloaded Odin 3.07 and samsung drivers ( I already had them, but figured I should mention it)

3. Installed Samsung Drivers and Odin 3.07

4. Downloaded PhilZ Touch Recovery from the link below (this is specific to sprint samsung note 2 SPH-L900, hence the "l900" label:

FYI..... I downloaded the .md5 file

5. Force Stopped anything to do with KNOX on my phone.... (most likely didn't do anything, but I feel this was all black magic so I'm mentioning it).

6. Loaded .md5 file in Odin 3.07.

7. Booted phone into Download Mode (hold volume down + power + home button simultaneously) Once prompted, press Volume up to enter Download mode.

8. Make sure "Auto Reboot" and "F.Reset Time" are checked off in Odin before flashing of phone.

9. Connect phone to usb cable and click on "start" to begin flash.

10. Downloaded super SU apk file from this link below:

11. Pasted super SU file onto the internal storage of the phone and sd card (in case it was recalling one SD-card and not the other).

12. Disconnected phone and powered down.

13. Powered up into Philz Recovery by pressing and holding volume up + home + power button simultaneously until Philz recovery screen appeared.

14. Chose "install from zip" and picked super SU, installed super SU from zip file located on SD card (I have a feeling this step was not needed but did it anyway) .

15. rebooted from within Philz Recovery Mode.

16. Downloaded DrKetan_MultiTool_AdvanceV5 from the link below:

17. Copied DrKetan_MultiTool_AdvanceV5 tools onto the internal and external sd cards of the phone.

18. Booted back into Philz Recovery Mode

19. Install from zip the "DrKetan_MultiTool_AdvanceV5" file.

20. Executed / flashed DrKetan_MultiTool_AdvanceV5 file within Philz Recovery Mode

21. Proceeded to "Aroma File Manager"

22. Go To System > App > and renamed all KNOX.apk files by adding .bak to the existing extention DO NOT RENAME the .odex files

example: Knox.apk to Knox.apk.bak

23. Save, exit Aroma File Manager and Reboot

24. Boot back up into Philz Recovery Mode.

25. Flash DrKetan_MultiTool_AdvanceV5 again.

26. Proceed and inject root and busybox (now at this step after busybox installed I tried to exit to reboot and my phone froze at some point where I thought I bricked my phone. I unplugged the battery, plugged it back in and the phone booted right up with no problems).

27. Last step, went into the Google Play store and searched super SU. Click update and install.

28. Installed Titanium back up pro version. DONE!!!! The rest was history.

Sorry for the drawn out steps.... I tried to make it as detailed as possible.

Thanks in advance for all the info on this board (I've been a long time lurker). Hope this helps and GOOD LUCK!!!

I had to delete the outside links because of my low post count. I can PM anyone the original post with the links listed.

---------- Post added at 02:09 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:44 AM ----------

here is the shorter version originally posted by vickyvc:

1. dwnld and flash philz_touch_5.15.0-n7100.tar from odin.(flashing zip in recovery didnt work)
    2. dwnld DrKetan_MultiTool_AdvanceV5 and copy to internal sdcard
    3. go to recovery (in philz touch) and flash DrKetan_MultiTool_AdvanceV5 and proceed to "aroma file manager"
    4. go to system/app in aroma and find and rename all the knox.apk files to knox.apk.bak(in short add ".bak") and dont touch files tat have .odex names (for ex. KNOX.odex)
    5. save and exit aroma and reboot.
    6. go to recovery again and flash the multitool and proceed and inject root and busybox and reboot.
    7. dont open su now.go to play store and update su.
    now u ve fully rooted and gud to go.........hit thanks if i helped.

As I said in my previous post.... Things got hairy at step 6 as my phone froze.
    The 2 that don't have knox in there name that need to be removed are in the system/app folder its KMLSAgent.apk and odex, and SPDclient and odex
    Well your phone ask you if you want to enable usb debugging when trynna use the program. And yea everyone's rooted with knox on there. But knox isn't gonna let you do anything unless you remove it or freeze. It but I'm sure when you find that out nobody's gonna know cause your gonna maintain the fact that your knox is different from ours!!!! But I'm gonna still keep it the same. People need to remove knox period!!!! To avoid the some apps work and some don't conversation

Sent from my SPH-L900 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
    Says in op

Yeah but he was saying be more specific about the file names. There are a lot in the app folder and a few that share the Knox icon but not file name.