[Q] S-OFF Help!

Search This thread

Marshmellow92

Jan 4, 2012
ok so the s off works now! :D so you can use this thread to talk about it. but i do have a question....

so now that we have s-off. how do you flash kernels? and recoveries? do we kust install the rom folder withought flashing the kernel that is inside the rom folder?

megatronisabeast

Apr 16, 2011
ok so the s off works now! :D so you can use this thread to talk about it. but i do have a question....

so now that we have s-off. how do you flash kernels? and recoveries? do we kust install the rom folder withought flashing the kernel that is inside the rom folder?

I believe you still have to flash the kernel separate from the rom. The only difference now would be instead of fastboot flashing the kernel you flash it through recovery.

megatronisabeast

Apr 16, 2011
I wouldn't try anything like that yet. Wait for the dev's to set everything up. That is what I did on another phone. HTC is a bit different, may be you flash only the zip file containing the rom and kernel. I do believe that on HTC most phones do allow you to flash one file instead of having to flash separate files unless you wanted a different kernel then the one provided. You would do this in recovery by flashing a zip file.

Last edited:

slapdaddy

Apr 9, 2008
Louisiana
I wouldn't try anything like that yet. Wait for the dev's to set everything up. That is what I did on another phone. HTC is a bit different, may be you flash only the zip file containing the rom and kernel. I do believe that on HTC most phones do allow you to flash one file instead of having to flash separate files unless you wanted a different kernel then the one provided. You would do this in recovery by flashing a zip file.

With my Inspire, I could flash a kernel alone, an entire ROMs image files separately, or an entire package containing everything in one flash...all through recovery.

Sent from my HTC Vivid

Marshmellow92

Jan 4, 2012
With my Inspire, I could flash a kernel alone, an entire ROMs image files separately, or an entire package containing everything in one flash...all through recovery.

Sent from my HTC Vivid
So if there is a Rom with a kernel (boot.IMG) inside it we just go to recovery install zip and I'm good? That's all there is too it

Sent from my HTC PH39100 using XDA

RyTheShark

Dec 9, 2010
i ran controlbear.exe and it booted thru hboot fastboot usb and im on my rom its still asking "waiting device" i cant even get to the wire trick....... im on freenode but the devs are out im lost hopefully xda can help me

EDIT: my bad while on fastboot usb through Hboot, I started Controlbear.exe i ran as admin CMD opens it says the title and then starting up..... waiting device....

when i flash the boot.img first i get stuck with the JuopunutBear, green arrow, and phone.... with CMD stuck on waiting device

when i reflash my roms boot.img i run ControlBear.exe only to have the same msg on CMD waiting device but my rom boots up normal....

Last edited:

Hunt3r.j2

Jun 6, 2011
i ran controlbear.exe and it booted thru hboot fastboot usb and im on my rom its still asking "waiting device" i cant even get to the wire trick....... im on freenode but the devs are out im lost hopefully xda can help me

This makes no sense at all. If you're in Android OS, something went wrong.

RyTheShark

Dec 9, 2010
I gave up trying to S-off today I'm super disappointed haha but I know its my fault on something

RyTheShark

Dec 9, 2010
attempted again but this time on my laptop and success on the second try!!!! i was previously using a windows XP and my laptop is a windows 7!

prahasta

Apr 20, 2011
Bengkoeloe
i'm success to S-OFF my 4G raider LTE (x710e) at the first time a try it few hours ago :D. everythings seems good. before S-OFF, i'm running on Holiraider Final cooked by Bananacakes, now after S-OFF, i'm little bit confused. stay with Hoilraider FInal ( this ROM excellent), or try some ICS ?.

if i decided to try ICS ROM, what should i do first? ['m already have WCXs recovery installed. do i need to run Ginger Official RUU, than Run ICS Official RUU before installed Custom ICS ROM? or i can jump over the step and Flash CUstom ICS ROM + kernel without flash RUU?

kevsthabest

May 5, 2009
i'm success to S-OFF my 4G raider LTE (x710e) at the first time a try it few hours ago :D. everythings seems good. before S-OFF, i'm running on Holiraider Final cooked by Bananacakes, now after S-OFF, i'm little bit confused. stay with Hoilraider FInal ( this ROM excellent), or try some ICS ?.

if i decided to try ICS ROM, what should i do first? ['m already have WCXs recovery installed. do i need to run Ginger Official RUU, than Run ICS Official RUU before installed Custom ICS ROM? or i can jump over the step and Flash CUstom ICS ROM + kernel without flash RUU?

Easiest way is to supercid, then you can run the RUU or even just flash the Rom.zip. either will work (I did the latter since I use linux.) Then you can use any Rom. Ics needs the hboot update from the ruu

RyTheShark

Dec 9, 2010
When you finally got it to work did it take you to the screen with the green arrow w/o flashing the boot.img?

Yes it did and all I did was extract the controlbear.zip in my data folder that is used for the Vivid All In One toolkit so fastboot and adb everything is in the same directory ... Ran the .exe and everything went thru first attempt I missed the timing on the first but second I used a video I saw for another phone doing the wire trick but the timing they did definitely worked well...

Sent from my HTC PH39100

Last edited:

citsong

Feb 11, 2012
Yes it did and all I did was extract the controlbear.zip in my data folder that is used for the Vivid All In One toolkit so fastboot and adb everything is in the same directory ... Ran the .exe and everything went thru first attempt I missed the timing on the first but second I used a video I saw for another phone doing the wire trick but the timing they did definitely worked well...

Sent from my HTC PH39100

That might have been my problem.. not having it in a folder like that. Managed to get it working though.

prahasta

Apr 20, 2011
Bengkoeloe
Easiest way is to supercid, then you can run the RUU or even just flash the Rom.zip. either will work (I did the latter since I use linux.) Then you can use any Rom. Ics needs the hboot update from the ruu

So, I still need to flash ics ruu, which mean I must flash ginger ruu from att. Since there is no official ruu yet for raider 4g. Do I Vitter kev?

Sent from my HTC Raider X710e using xda premium

citsong

Feb 11, 2012
So, I still need to flash ics ruu, which mean I must flash ginger ruu from att. Since there is no official ruu yet for raider 4g. Do I Vitter kev?

Sent from my HTC Raider X710e using xda premium

Just follow this guide
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1612685
Once you've got recovery installed and your rooted you can install any of the ICS roms. Some of them have already been updated so you don't have to flash the kernal anymore since we have s-off. Just make sure to check the instructions for the individual roms to see if you have to or not

kevsthabest

May 5, 2009
I didn't run any ruu. Didn't relock my bootloader nothing like that. The simplest and least likely way of messing anything up I found was extract the ruu for ics. There will be a zip.called Rom.zip. I removed the hboot update itself (we don't need that one) from the zip. Then I.did fastboot reboot OEM-42. Fastboot flash zip Rom.zip.

Took a few minutes to flash. Rebooted and everything was working. The hboot I have is already higher (the one they included with juoponutbear) then the is update. But you need to get the new firmware from the ruu fo be flashed still.

Follow the guide previously posted and you should be fine tho. I just used a slightly different method to do.it myself