[Q] Epic 4G - Issues with Verizon PRL asking to Activate

Search This thread

jwarwick3

Feb 1, 2014
The Thumb, MI
I've searched high and low and haven't found an answer. So here we go...

I have a stock Epic 4G running Gingerbread FC09 (firmware 2.3.6) that is activated on Straight Talk (Walmart Wireless!). I am able to upload new PRLs using QPST 2.7 Build 323. My problem is after the PRL is uploaded and i'm roaming on VZW, if I make a phone call, i get the message "welcome to Verizon, your phone is not active...". Text and data isn't working either. I have tried many different PRLs, all with the same result.

Is there a PRL that i can use to avoid the VZW activation or any other way around it? Can I possibly change some settings with QPST??

All i'm looking for is a way to roam on VZW with my Epic. I know it's possible with Sprint service, but I'm not sure if it's possible on Straight Talk.

My current PRL with ST is 32030
My friend with a GS3 on Sprint has PRL 25017 (he is able to roam on VZW)

Thanks in advance!

Mr_You

Jul 17, 2013
From some quick searching. Straight Talk does not provide roaming. That is why you are receiving this message.

If you want to roam on Verizon then I would 1) find a Sprint MVNO that permits roaming and 2) use the Roam Control app to force the Epic 4G to roam on Verizon at 800Mhz.

I use Ting (with the latest PRL) and enable forced roaming with Roam Control and it works great. PM if you want $25 Ting referral credit.

After activating with the new MVNO I would suggest installing CyanogenMod stable along with the temporary Samsung FC09 installation.

Reactions: jwarwick3

jwarwick3

Feb 1, 2014
The Thumb, MI
From some quick searching. Straight Talk does not provide roaming. That is why you are receiving this message.

If you want to roam on Verizon then I would 1) find a Sprint MVNO that permits roaming and 2) use the Roam Control app to force the Epic 4G to roam on Verizon at 800Mhz.

I use Ting (with the latest PRL) and enable forced roaming with Roam Control and it works great. PM if you want $25 Ting referral credit.

After activating with the new MVNO I would suggest installing CyanogenMod stable along with the temporary Samsung FC09 installation.

I'll have to check out Ting, i'm not familiar with them. If they allow roaming on VZW, that sounds like the answer I'm looking for!

I searched the Play Store and could only fine "Not Roam Control". Is that the same as Roam Control?

Do you have a link for installing the CyanogenMod??

Thanks for the help!

Mr_You

Jul 17, 2013
First off, I highly recommend you activate your phone on your new service before doing anything. Update Profile, PRL, etc. Make sure texting, calls, etc, all work.

After flashing CyanogenMod I would then install this temporary boot Samsung FC09 installation so you can update PRL, Profile, re-activate if neccessary, reset sensors, or make hardware configuration adjustments that are not available within CyanogenMod.

I like the Google Keyboard (Swype alternative). I'm using Visual Voice Mail v T.5.3.4.18 available somewhere around here. I've also downloaded the Ting app and Roam Control.

I think thats about it.

Last edited:

Mr_You

Jul 17, 2013
Understandable. Anything else you can recommend doing to the Epic 4g??

You might also set animation scales to .5x ... Its under Developer options which can be accessed by selecting "System settings -> About phone -> Build number", over and over until Developer options is unlocked.

jwarwick3

Feb 1, 2014
The Thumb, MI
You might also set animation scales to .5x ... Its under Developer options which can be accessed by selecting "System settings -> About phone -> Build number", over and over until Developer options is unlocked.

I will take it all into consideration. I have the rest of this month with Straight Talk (since I've already paid for it), so it will be a few weeks before i make the switch.

Are you able to data roam on Ting? I can't seem to find a clear answer.

Mr_You

Jul 17, 2013
Are you able to data roam on Ting? I can't seem to find a clear answer.

No Ting only provides voice/text roaming. Most (probably all?) MVNOs do not provide data roaming.

I also checked: System settings -> Performance -> Memory management -> Allow purging of assets

Seems to have freed up some memory.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.