Significantly improve battery life

Search This thread

Ildefonse

Jun 15, 2008
Hi all,

After 2 days of testing this tweak, I have booked really good results with my Diamond.

The phone has been on and not connected to charger or computer for over 48 hours now, and the battery has dropped only to 50%. That's right, two full days and nights of stand-by time, with an occasional call here and there, a couple of text messages, and reading some email.

Before this tweak I had to charge the Diamond already after 24 hours or less.

So if you have low battery life problems, give this a go:

Advanced config tools -> disable the setting "GPRS auto attach"

Read about this setting here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=395301&highlight=GPRS+auto+attach

Have fun and enjoy the longer battery life :)

ericsson68

Jun 18, 2008
But this has been discussed already and is only any good if you don't rely on GPRS a lot throughout the day surely? I mean I use Exchange and I'm sure it wouldn't work for me if I tweaked this setting.

Spawn12

Mar 17, 2005
London
Works great if you dont use the phone all that much but doesnt make much of a difference if you do make calls, send and receive sms texts..email send and receive etc etc.

Ive enabled that tweak and i still find the battery to be utterly rubbish for a phone of this power. Sure it helps conserve some of the battery but i can guarantee you that by 7pm tonight my phone will be dead...like it happened to me yesterday...went to work yesterday battery was 100%...made 3-4 calls...in total spent about 30 mins on the phone...browsed the internet for about 20 mins...sent and received 30 texts...watched a few youtube vids...checked my email a few times...not really heavy usage but by 7pm my phone was dead.

Not impressed with HTC and their monumental screw up with this battery..900mah is just not enough for this device if you want to use it properly that is. You would have thought they would have learned from Nokia when they first released their N95, that had a terrible battery on it as well...although with the n95 8gb the battery is much much better. Why they felt it only needed 900mah is quite beyond me...plus the battery gets hot which proves to me that the battery is not up to the job imo. Luckily the phone is good or else id have sent it back by now...guess ill have to wait for the extended battery to make an appearance. In fact i find the battery so rubbish that ive had to order a spare usb synch cable so i can charge my phone here at work.

P996

Aug 10, 2006
Guys, if you want to substantially improve your battery life, go with a newer 1.37 ROM.
The older 1.35 ROM has serious battery life problems, there isn't much you can do about it without to cripple full functionality.

ericsson68

Jun 18, 2008
I'm on the 1.37 rom, was on the 1.34 with my first unit and the battery is much better. I'm also noticing that the battery improves with 'age'. Plus I've got the dock on the way when it's released so that will help things no end I'm sure. When I'm in the car I shove a normal mini usb cable in from my Sony CD player and of course the upside of that is it will also play my music too instead of using USB drives. At work I use a spare USB and plug it in.

The battery is poo but having worked it in to a routine like that I hardly notice it now.

Dilirium

Jul 22, 2007
Unhooked my Diamond last night 22.00-ish from the usb cable and while I am typing now the battery is still more than 80% charged.
Texted alot today, called approx. 30 mins, checked my e-mail several times and played around with google maps for 20 minutes or so.
I did not tweak anything except that I flashed the 1.37 ROM and installed the newest Google-maps thingy.
So I can confirm that the new ROM saves alot of energy and that the battery-life gets better in time sounds also plausible.

With the 1.35 ROM the battery lasted 12 hours max with the same activities.

rakh1

Jan 28, 2003
UK
rakh1.blogspot.com
I've found that after a few days the battery is actually better than it was wen new. Must be that charge/discharging it a few times has helped...

R

sandervanzijl

Jan 14, 2008
Ive enabled that tweak and i still find the battery to be utterly rubbish for a phone of this power. Sure it helps conserve some of the battery but i can guarantee you that by 7pm tonight my phone will be dead...like it happened to me yesterday...went to work yesterday battery was 100%...made 3-4 calls...in total spent about 30 mins on the phone...browsed the internet for about 20 mins...sent and received 30 texts...watched a few youtube vids...checked my email a few times...not really heavy usage but by 7pm my phone was dead.

actually I find your usage is a lot. during the day i will make one or two phone calls say 10 minutes. send an average of 5 sms texts and maybe check my email for a minute or 3. what takes most of my battery is when i read an ebook or do a game.

Spawn12

Mar 17, 2005
London
actually I find your usage is a lot. during the day i will make one or two phone calls say 10 minutes. send an average of 5 sms texts and maybe check my email for a minute or 3. what takes most of my battery is when i read an ebook or do a game.

Maybe it is but for me i dont think its that high...as i said my nokia n95 8gb would last a good day or 2 before going completely dead and thats with the sort of usage that i described earlier. Anyways i have a synch cable coming which ill keep at work to charge the Diamond.

oonline

Jun 17, 2008
Singapore
hey battery life is better after this tweak. but my 3g logo has changed... it's now in some greyish box... anyone know what this means?

ericsson68

Jun 18, 2008
I think this means that the network knows it's available but you haven't attached to the data service. I used to get a similar greying out of the globe icon on my P1i if the net knew it was there but I had unattached manually.

iamfreek

Oct 9, 2010
Hi i am novice with my HTC touch diamond & i am also facing the same problem of battery life.

you've shown some solution over there in your post. please, can you tell me where in my phone i need to go to apply this settings.

hank you