discussion of s-off

Search This thread

LakerStar25

Jan 25, 2011
LA
You are about to start the process of unlocking your device. Unlocking your device allows you to install custom Operating Systems (“OS”) onto your device. Custom OS’s are not tested as thoroughly as your original OS, and unlocking your device may void all or parts of your warranty. HTC disclaims any and all liability for proper functioning of your device after the bootloader has been unlocked and for data lost in the unlocking process. To prevent unauthorized access to your data, unlocking the bootloader will delete all personal data from your device including applications, text messages and personalized settings.

Do you still wish to continue?

Yes No

and then:

Legal Terms

In order to continue, please read and accept the following legal terms:

_I acknowledge that use of the unlock bootloader may void all or parts of my warranty device and my device may not function as intended by HTC.

_I acknowledge that, if my device requires repairs, HTC may charge for additional costs due to the unlocked bootloader.

clicking yes to continue,then checking both the boxes gets you to the unlock instructions.

i have done this a bunch of times with various devices... i hope its not keeping a tally ;)

This to me says your agreeing to void your warranty if you actually unlock your bootloader. Doesn't say anything about voiding warranty for receiving the unlock code. So if you can get back to stock there really doesn't seem a way to prove you actually used the code.

Sent from my ICS Rezound

nosympathy

Dec 19, 2010
Cincinnati
because you may hve been lucky,you have no way of knowing. :eek:

how bout this for an anology: i passed several different citys police enforcement for several months with no front plate. your situation is like me saying "they dont really care if you have a front plate or not. i havent had one for several months now." but then BAM! cop in a bad mood for whatever reason pulls me over and gives me a ticket.

i personally dont care,im willing to pay the insurance deductible if i brick my phone. as i said,im just playin devils advocate and throwin ideas around. i personally dont think folks should get too comfortable with their rooted phones- its not htc or vzws fault if someone develops the "theyll warranty it" attitude and starts hapazzardy flashing stuff they shouldnt. or they purposelfully brick it because the screen is scratched up and they want a new one(seen it happen :mad:)

but your coments are partially why i brought it up. folks are fixated on making their phone say locked. if vzw/htc want to be dicks it may not matter.

just my 2 cents ;)

well the only issue with you analogy is, the cops cannot pull you over for not having a front plate alone. At least in my state they cannot. Just like in my state I can not wear a seatbelt all I want, they cannot ticket me unless they get me for say speeding. Doesn't mean they won't pay more attention too you though and try and find some reason to pull you over.

just saying :D

nosympathy

Dec 19, 2010
Cincinnati
Thats why its called an analogy, its not supposed to represent actual fact as you have put it. What he meant flew right over your head....

Sent from my INCREDIBLE, faster than a THUNDERBOLT, REZOUND!

So...lets throw logic out the window. Knowing what someone means and them representing it correctly are two different things. You use an analogy to help someone understand through different circumstances they might understand. If you misrepresent those other circumstances then your point is lost.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using XDA

Reactions: AndroidGraphix

apophis9283

Forum Moderator / Recognized Developer
Staff member
I meant no disrespect. When he made that analogy it got twisted by changing the similar circumstance. By saying in this state is this way it messes up the analogy. It shouldnt matter which state have which laws, the important thing was to get the point across. Which had nothing to do with laws from different states

Sent from my INCREDIBLE, faster than a THUNDERBOLT, REZOUND!

scotty1223

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Jan 3, 2011
So...lets throw logic out the window. Knowing what someone means and them representing it correctly are two different things. You use an analogy to help someone understand through different circumstances they might understand. If you misrepresent those other circumstances then your point is lost.

actually... i was gonna just let it go,but... you can get pulled over for not having a plate. youre correct about seatbelts,they wont pull you over for just that. but ive been pulled over more than once for no front plate. one time,i was pulled over for no front plate and given a ticket for no seat belt :eek:

a good friend actually puts no front plate tickets into his budget. he absolutely refuses to put a plate on the front of his nsx. cant blame him it would look competely retarded on somethin that sexy(not too big a deal on my jeep cherokee or crewcab pickup,so i broke down and put em on)

its also not good enuff to slap it in your front windshield or zip tie it to your passenger side sun visor. its gotta be on your bumper and mounted with bolts(dont ask :rolleyes:)

so if you,sir,are driivng here in cincinati,OHIO,better get that front plate on if you dont have one,as im in dayton. ;)

but yall are right... at the end of the day we all love android phones :cool:

Last edited:

ericsignals

Sep 30, 2010
Buffalo
Will be interesting to see when/if the 2 teams methods get released what the differences are in running the exploit.

badogg

Mar 11, 2011
Quiet on both fronts.... :(

Probably intentional. Other than their initial OP in the dev section, they have been quiet. Probably because they need to be and also are working on it.

Also, from what I gather they are working on this to work for several devices so I'm sure they are just doing things in stages getting it ready.

Until I see a post saying that there is a big problem and it isn't possible, I'm going to assume that no news is good news. Even though it is hard to be patient for something like this. :)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    We were sworn to confidentiality until the exploit is released....

But yes, it works! I have seen it first hand.

But YES, S-OFF is coming your way once that team perfects the process. This I can assure.

This is all I can and will say. If I say too much HTC could close the loophole. Just like every other exploit... So dont be upset that I cannot give details.

-Scott
    The key word is hacked. If you don't want the risk of running hacked software then don't root. Or get an iphone. Otherwise grow a set of testicles or don't post.
    And Wtf is up with all this crying? They will release when they are ready. Otherwise figure it out for yourself. It's that simple.
    I notice the biggest problem makers on xda are people who contribute nothing and expect everything.
    Just saying..
    Rant over

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using xda premium
    Excellent. I just achieved s-off on the second try, after drinking since 2 this afternoon on the golf course. Was running the ICS Leak before doing the s-off method. Steps I took, if it helps anyone:

1. Downloaded the proper file for my situation.
    2. Unzipped contents, placed the 3 files in the same folder as ADB/Fastboot.
    3. Removed sd card I normally use, replaced with original Dinc sd card.
    4. With phone booted normally into BAMF Evita 2.0, hooked up USB cable.
    5. Went into folder containing s-off files and ran Controlbear as administrator.
    6. Watched it do its thing and did the "wire trick" when prompted.
    7. Phone rebooted a few times, ultimately booting into the rom I was using.
    8. Replaced SD card that I normally use, and wrote this post.

This is what worked for me, your experience may vary.
    I dunno con it probably would of been better if they sent out private invites to beta test this instead of making it public. You cant open a thread and expect people to not post. Plus we have members flaunting off s-off that doesnt help matters either.

I don't agree. They aren't members of the Rez community so they don't know who to invite. Plus, they wanted testers as soon as possible and waiting for people to respond to emails/PM would take alot longer. If you ask in a thread for people not to post, people should be able to listen. If you can't follow simple instructions you don't deserve S-OFF. I don't understand why it is so hard for people to sit down, shut up, and just wait. Most people are adults here. I am amazed that alot of people can't act like one. People flaunting S-OFF? They risked a $600 device to people they don't even know. You should be greatful that some people were willing to test and spend alot of time helping to improve the process. It is also nice to have several different people proving that it works. It is also important that people are starting S-OFF only threads like the splash screen thread. If work on that stuff doesn't start now, everyone is gonna S-OFF their device when the process is released and have nothing to do with it. It will be a hurry up and wait situation. It is also MUCH less annoying than your continued complaints about not having AOSP, the continued pestering of developers on how RIL is going, and the general vibe that I get from you about how you would have rather had a Nexus. Please just wait patiently. If you don't agree with me, please take it to PM, I am happy to talk with you there. However we need to get this back on topic.
    So i cleaned the thread.

I would rather not have to do it again.

So how about from here on out you take your trolling of one another to PM. If you have an issue that you can't get worked out or you think someone is doing something they shouldn't get a hold of a moderator. This is a much better idea than trying to prove people wrong or prove that you have the biggest e-peen.

The "issue" is currently handled, please continue with the rest of your evening.