[Resolved] MX Player support for Android 4.4.3

Search This thread

eesheesh

Apr 21, 2014
Hi,

According to AndroidPolice and other sources (sorry, can't link), Android 4.4.3 is coming.

Will MX Player work on this version or is an update necessary?

Thanks!

eesheesh

Apr 21, 2014
Sure, no reason why it should not work. MX Player requires Android 2.1 and above...

I can't add a link because I'm a new user, but there was a relatively long delay (more than a week if I understand correctly) until Android 4.4.1 and 4.4.2 support was added when they were released. Users got a dialog saying "Unsupported android version" and MX Player wouldn't load. Only when MX Player v1.7.21 was released it started working again.

You can Google "mx player unsupported android version" for references.

I just want to know the current version already supports Android 4.4.3 or is it going to show the same error.

Thirumalai.K

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Sep 14, 2011
I can't add a link because I'm a new user, but there was a relatively long delay (more than a week if I understand correctly) until Android 4.4.1 and 4.4.2 support was added when they were released. Users got a dialog saying "Unsupported android version" and MX Player wouldn't load. Only when MX Player v1.7.21 was released it started working again.

You can Google "mx player unsupported android version" for references.

I just want to know the current version already supports Android 4.4.3 or is it going to show the same error.

Actually that was not a version issue but an incompatibility issue with Android internal module.
MX Player uses many Android private modules to improve playback performance.
Sometimes this private modules changes and then this message will be showed up.

In that case, audio module was changed so the developer has been forced to rewrite entire audio output codes.

That's why there was a delay.
MX Player will be compatible with android 4.4.3 if there is no major changes in Internal Module.

Reactions: CDB-Man

CDB-Man

May 29, 2013
ktsamy is correct. Even if the developer ( @bleu8888 ) were to force compatibility, it could potentially result in no audio at all for example.

bleu8888

Mar 24, 2011
In previous versions, most problem was from incompatibility of audio output module.
With the latest version of MX Player, the compatibility was improved. Therefore I hope it works without additional patch.

Logic_

Aug 8, 2010
Antwerp
There is of course no way to say for sure but going by the details that were leaked this will be a minor update and certainly not a big overhaul.
I doubt android devs will have tampered with those modules again since quite a few apps rely on those and it's not worth breaking compatibility again unless they're having to make some major changes.

Reactions: Thirumalai.K

skttrbrain

Jun 22, 2013
[WIP] Unsupported Android Version Error on 4.4.3

..so please update the app to support it! Getting the typical "Unsupported android version" message.

khisel

Mar 22, 2013
When will an update be available?

I paid for this app and now cannot use it. When will it be updated?

Thirumalai.K

Sep 14, 2011
Last edited:

Thirumalai.K

Sep 14, 2011
Can confirm also.

I have just upgraded to 4.4.3 stock rom on my Nexus 7 2012 and Mx Player says it is not supported
I've been using BS player whenever a new version of Android comes out and therefore MX stops working.

I can never remember which version of vlc works on my phone.

MX Player relies on lot of android's internal modules for better performance. In the last update there was a change in audio module which was preventing the player from run.

This time it's graphics module which prevents the mx from run.

As I already said, the developer is already working on it. it will be patched as soon as possible.

Sent from my Galaxy S5 using Tapatalk

foosion

Jun 17, 2012
MX Player relies on lot of android's internal modules for better performance. In the last update there was a change in audio module which was preventing the player from run.

This time it's graphics module which prevents the mx from run.

As I already said, the developer is already working on it. it will be patched as soon as possible.

Trivia question for you: when was the last update to Android that didn't break mx?

The speculation on the old mx support forum whenever there was a new version was that mx would automatically stop working whenever a new version came out - in other words, it was testing version numbers. Is this not true?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    No, If I am not wrong, It does not check for the version number. It checks for internal modules.

@bleu8888
    Can you confirm my statement?

Exactly. this is not related to version number at all.
    BTW, we are on the final stage for the patch, please wait a few moment.
    1.7.27 patch is uploaded on Google play. It is also available on download page: https://sites.google.com/site/mxvpen/download
    Is there any downside other than the app failing, which would be no worse than the current method?

With a proper warning message, users shouldn't complain (although I do notice the number of posters in this thread who obviously hadn't read prior posts) and there's the very good chance the app would work anyway with at least some files.

Many users won't read the warning message and will consider the app's sub-par or faulty performance as a reflection of the general quality of the app - they won't know the problems they experience are due to some underlying Android component having changed.

Though it frustrates me when it breaks, I believe bleu8888's current approach is entirely sensible and reasonable until Android provides/exposes the required APIs to "do it right".
    In previous versions, most problem was from incompatibility of audio output module.
    With the latest version of MX Player, the compatibility was improved. Therefore I hope it works without additional patch.
    Please try 1.7.27. It is available on Google play and https://sites.google.com/site/mxvpen/download