KNOX - New Samsung trend?

Search This thread

Fernandq

Sep 19, 2011
Charlotte
With Knox crippling root (for now at least, hopefully something will come out later) leaving you open to carrier OTA imposed updates and pretty much not control over your phone, I wonder, is this going to hurt Samsung sales in the future? I can tell you this, last night when I became aware I could not root without tripping Knox I was not really happy. This crippled me from using Titanium Backup to restore my apps with their data and moving my ringtones to the system folder where they should be (I had problems on the Note 1 when I had them in the sd card). Now, last night I take an undesired OTA upgrade followed by all my apps updating as well. Not being able to stop the upgrade really did pissed me off, is my phone, not AT&T... I had to restore one app to the previous version and I have no idea what else needs to be rolled back...
Man, I was pissed and having got the phone on Saturday I am really considering return it but I had preorder the spigen screen protector and a new case even before buying the Note 3 and they are installed. I bet if I return it someone will come with a fix next day...:silly::silly: and I would have lost the screen protector.... If this is going to be the norm for Samsung, as much as I hate it, I will not get getting that Note 4 upgrade I was thinking on getting or any of their phones. I think there are other phone manufacturers as good (LG comes to mind)...

What do you guys think?

pikwan80

Jul 11, 2013
Surabaya
I HATE KNOX :mad: :eek: My Warranty Bit already 1 maybe that is silly KNOX WTF. KNOX Mess my GT-I9200 ( Snap Dragon )
Hope samsung will not put KNOX on Exynoss. Hope KNOX will Close the factory. USELESS KNOX

ione2380

Oct 13, 2009
Brasov
@ Fernandq I think you are better off with Samsung. Lg doesn't update their phones!

Sent from Note 3 Superphone!

xclub_101

Oct 15, 2012
Samsung Galaxy S23 Ultra
With Knox crippling root (for now at least, hopefully something will come out later) leaving you open to carrier OTA imposed updates and pretty much not control over your phone, I wonder, is this going to hurt Samsung sales in the future? I can tell you this, last night when I became aware I could not root without tripping Knox I was not really happy. This crippled me from using Titanium Backup to restore my apps with their data and moving my ringtones to the system folder where they should be (I had problems on the Note 1 when I had them in the sd card). Now, last night I take an undesired OTA upgrade followed by all my apps updating as well. Not being able to stop the upgrade really did pissed me off, is my phone, not AT&T... I had to restore one app to the previous version and I have no idea what else needs to be rolled back...
Man, I was pissed and having got the phone on Saturday I am really considering return it but I had preorder the spigen screen protector and a new case even before buying the Note 3 and they are installed. I bet if I return it someone will come with a fix next day...:silly::silly: and I would have lost the screen protector.... If this is going to be the norm for Samsung, as much as I hate it, I will not get getting that Note 4 upgrade I was thinking on getting or any of their phones. I think there are other phone manufacturers as good (LG comes to mind)...

What do you guys think?

Let me explain in very simple words - AT&T has had locked bootloaders for some time, and that has not hurt their sales in any relevant way - you are still their customer, and while we are all *****ing and moaning about the lack of freedom people are still feeding AT&T possibly thousands of US$/year.

So it boils down not so much to "freedom" but to having actual choice and having the consumers vote with their wallet. My current Note 3 can probably last me 2-3 years from now, but when that comes close to an end I will most certainly try to not buy a Samsung + Knox phone if I have a choice! (by that time I will be hoping in something like the Ubuntu phone dual-booting Ubuntu 64 and Android 64).

dr.m0x

Oct 28, 2010
Auckland
Lol. Knox doesn't stop root, it only kills warranty. Why should Samsung the warranty if you've modified the device?

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Fernandq

Sep 19, 2011
Charlotte
Lol. Knox doesn't stop root, it only kills warranty. Why should Samsung the warranty if you've modified the device?

Knox don't prevent root in itself, I understand that but it does indirecly since it would void the warranty. If I brick my phone I do agree Samsung should not have to fix it but in the past Samsung has declined fixing hardware issues because the software in the device haw been modified even if that modification has nothing to do with the software.

dr.m0x

Oct 28, 2010
Auckland
Knox don't prevent root in itself, I understand that but it does indirecly since it would void the warranty. If I brick my phone I do agree Samsung should not have to fix it but in the past Samsung has declined fixing hardware issues because the software in the device haw been modified even if that modification has nothing to do with the software.

All the manufacturers will do that if they find you have rooted. The only difference is that both Samsung and HTC have a reliable way of tracking it.