Test Radios on 4 Go Row

Search This thread

nackfish

Nov 18, 2007
Thank you for taking the time to make that list.

According to your list there is no way to get 3G in 900 Mhz without loosing the 1900,850,800 (Jia-Yu V8).

I don't know if those frequencies (1900,850,800) are necessary, but in the french country side I'm missing a lot of 3G without the 900Mhz.
So maybe opting for a radio driver with only 2000Mhz and 900 Mhz might be a viable solution ?

I'm also trying to figure out if it is hardware related or just the driver for the modem but that's another story :silly:

fredmoy

Jun 22, 2010
Montluçon
www.fredmoy.fr

According to your list there is no way to get 3G in 900 Mhz without loosing the 1900,850,800 (Jia-Yu V8).

I don't know if those frequencies (1900,850,800) are necessary, but in the french country side I'm missing a lot of 3G without the 900Mhz.
So maybe opting for a radio driver with only 2000Mhz and 900 Mhz might be a viable solution ?

I'm also trying to figure out if it is hardware related or just the driver for the modem but that's another story :silly:

we have no need of 1900 and 850 in France. I travel to the U.S. and I have to change modem, I use the modem Yu Jia-V8. In the countryside in France without 900Mhz is really problematic.
I use the V23-P780 modem at the moment, with this modem I have not yet encountered the problem of connection in France.

Reactions: stympy

casaben

Dec 3, 2007
Leuven
Update : Ignore this message, see my next post concerning modem speeds

S124 ROW Stock ROM modem :
- Australia (Telstra, Optus): H+ but 3G signal from 1 to 4 bars and vice versa all the time.
- Indonesia (Telkomsel): H+ but 3G mostly and again unstable signal
- SIM2 full signal all the time

V52 Modem_S920 :
- Australia (Telstra, Optus): H+ bit more stable 3G signal but not as good as other phones (S3 of girlfriend)
- Indonesia (Telkomsel): H+ but 3G bit more stable but still jumpy
- Singapore (Singtel): H+ all the time with strong signal
- SIM2 full signal all the time

For both modems I see a similar behavior, when the phone requests data, signal goes to very low, then after 2 seconds goes up again and starts data transfer at fair to good speed. After some seconds (during transfer), signal goes down and data transfer stalls, but directly after another second it's good again and stays up for a bit longer. The longer the data transfer, either the signal becomes stable or drops alltogether.
It seems to be all or nothing :)
If I'm just watching the phone idling, I also notice the same jumps in signal strength all the time. If I force 2G only, it's stable.

I also noticed that if I would put my home SIM (Belgian) in SIM1 slot, using the exact same operators, the signal is a lot more stable than with local sims??

Last edited:

Jackal331

Sep 9, 2007
Bratislava
fredmoy This is greate thanks. I can't seem to find a proper modem. On my previous P780 I used V51+S820.zip and it worked great. Now my reception drops, even disconnects the operator about 50/50 times both sims.

I am worried if I don't have a faulty modem hw piece.

Last edited:

casaben

Dec 3, 2007
Leuven
Speed tests with radios

I've done some speed tests with the different modems.
All modems (except 1), are from stympy's modem zip (look elsewhere in this forum).
All tests performed on the Telstra Australia network, in Melbourne, using the Ookla Speedtest tool.
SIM1 : Telstra SIM card
SIM2 : foreign SIM in roaming mode
Only SIM1 speeds were tested.
P780 Chinese model 4Gb, production date 15/03/14
Stock P780_ROW_S124_140403 ROM version flashed.
Ran speed test 3 times, took average of 3 runs
Modems flashed in recovery, with Wipe of Dalvik Cache + Cache.
In case of a none working SIM2, restarted phone to double check.
All names are name of zip in the package without the .zip extension.

Remarks :
- Either fast speed but SIM2 not working
- Either slow speed (seemed to be capped at 30kB/s) and SIM2 always working
- For fast speeds, the SIM1 always directly became active as 3G/H+
- For slow speeds, the SIM1 connected as G first, then switched to 3G mode after 20 seconds
- V51,V52 (all zips with this version number in it) suffered from capped speed
- also noticed that the order of flashing the modems seemed to create some issues. I noticed that modem.S920.for.P780 showed the capped behavior too after flashing it after V18 Modem_S920_CN_V18. However, trying other combinations again, I could not reproduce the issue. And only this particular modem showed the issue.
- V17_modem.S920.for.P780.zip and modem.S920.for.P780.zip are identical.

Result :
Fastest (working SIM2 + good speed SIM1) combinations were:
- modem.S920.for.P780, mddb BPLGUInfoCustomAppSrcP_MT6589_S00_P780_V15 : got results between 800 and 1600 kB/s DL, but running the test about 5 times, it is usually more around 800-900 kB/s
- V18 Modem_S920_CN_V18, mddb BPLGUInfoCustomAppSrcP_MT6589_S00_S920_V18 : got results up to 1700 kB/s DL, but running the test about 5 times, it is usually around 1200 kB/s

In my previous post on this thread I was also concerned about the unstable signal. Both modems mentioned above as the fastest working, also showed a more stable signal strength.
See the results in the attached PDF.
Hope this is useful :)

Attachments

• P780_modems_speed_test_results.pdf
    135.3 KB · Views: 158
Last edited:

Jackal331

Sep 9, 2007
Bratislava
Result :
- modem.S920.for.P780, mddb BPLGUInfoCustomAppSrcP_MT6589_S00_P780_V15 : got results between 800 and 1600 kB/s DL, but running the test about 5 times, it is usually more around 800-900 kB/s
- V18 Modem_S920_CN_V18, mddb BPLGUInfoCustomAppSrcP_MT6589_S00_S920_V18 : got results up to 1700 kB/s DL, but running the test about 5 times, it is usually around 1200 kB/s

In my previous post on this thread I was also concerned about the unstable signal. Both modems mentioned above as the fastest working, also showed a more stable signal strength.

Where did u get this modem? V18 Modem_S920_CN_V18

Is it the same as, V18_modem.S920.for.P780.zip of stympys?

Last edited:

casaben

Dec 3, 2007
Leuven
Where did u get this modem? V18 Modem_S920_CN_V18

Is it the same as, V18_modem.S920.for.P780.zip of stympys?

Correct.
For all other roms mentioned in the list of fredmoy, see the Russian Lenovo forum (run Google translate if needed) : http://lenovo-forums.ru/topic/1702-прошивка-радиомодуля-p780/page-3
and look for the links Подборка прошивок модемов 1, подборка 2.

Been testing further, and the general tendency is that I all roms that give me the 3G 900Mhz, disable my second SIM.
I have to enter my pin for it, but it never activates.

Jackal331

Sep 9, 2007
Bratislava
Correct.
For all other roms mentioned in the list of fredmoy, see the Russian Lenovo forum (run Google translate if needed) : http://lenovo-forums.ru/topic/1702-прошивка-радиомодуля-p780/page-3
and look for the links Подборка прошивок модемов 1, подборка 2.

Been testing further, and the general tendency is that I all roms that give me the 3G 900Mhz, disable my second SIM.
I have to enter my pin for it, but it never activates.

Ok thanks. I've known that site, I tried all possible modems so it seems and my phone still can't hold the signal for a very long time.

I'm flashing stock rom back and asking for a replacement.

casaben

Dec 3, 2007
Leuven
Ok thanks. I've known that site, I tried all possible modems so it seems and my phone still can't hold the signal for a very long time.

I'm flashing stock rom back and asking for a replacement.

Same problem :)
I'm living in the city so it's hard to test the signal quality. But I did notice that going into a building often puts me on G or signal lost.

One more tip, they say that you have to make sure your network mode
MobileUncle => Engineering Mode (MTK) => Network Selecting => Set to GSM/WCDMA (auto) must be selected instead of WCDMA preferred).

Most people on the Russian forums end up with modem.S920.for.P780 (which is V15 I think)

Jackal331

Sep 9, 2007
Bratislava
Same problem :)
One more tip, they say that you have to make sure your network mode
MobileUncle => Engineering Mode (MTK) => Network Selecting => Set to GSM/WCDMA (auto) must be selected instead of WCDMA preferred).

Isn't it the same settings as classic android system settings in preffered networks? Must be done in MobileUncle?

Edit: It did not help sending the phone back to the store :/

Last edited:

casaben

Dec 3, 2007
Leuven
Isn't it the same settings as classic android system settings in preffered networks? Must be done in MobileUncle?

Edit: It did not help sending the phone back to the store :/

No, you can also do it in the settings, but nowadays I just do it all from MobileUncle because it's easier...

Good luck with your next one ;)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi

I tested different modems on my P780 4GB Row in AOSP 4.2.2.
    I made a table with the results I got with Mobileuncle Tools.
    Speed tests with radios

All modems (except 1), are from stympy's modem zip (look elsewhere in this forum).
    All tests performed on the Telstra Australia network, in Melbourne, using the Ookla Speedtest tool.
    SIM1 : Telstra SIM card
    SIM2 : foreign SIM in roaming mode
    Only SIM1 speeds were tested.
    P780 Chinese model 4Gb, production date 15/03/14
    Stock P780_ROW_S124_140403 ROM version flashed.
    Ran speed test 3 times, took average of 3 runs
    Modems flashed in recovery, with Wipe of Dalvik Cache + Cache.
    In case of a none working SIM2, restarted phone to double check.
    All names are name of zip in the package without the .zip extension.

Remarks :
    - Either fast speed but SIM2 not working
    - Either slow speed (seemed to be capped at 30kB/s) and SIM2 always working
    - For fast speeds, the SIM1 always directly became active as 3G/H+
    - For slow speeds, the SIM1 connected as G first, then switched to 3G mode after 20 seconds
    - V51,V52 (all zips with this version number in it) suffered from capped speed
    - also noticed that the order of flashing the modems seemed to create some issues. I noticed that modem.S920.for.P780 showed the capped behavior too after flashing it after V18 Modem_S920_CN_V18. However, trying other combinations again, I could not reproduce the issue. And only this particular modem showed the issue.
    - V17_modem.S920.for.P780.zip and modem.S920.for.P780.zip are identical.

Result :

we have no need of 1900 and 850 in France. I travel to the U.S. and I have to change modem, I use the modem Yu Jia-V8. In the countryside in France without 900Mhz is really problematic.
    I use the V23-P780 modem at the moment, with this modem I have not yet encountered the problem of connection in France.