[Q] Which step here unlocked bootloader? Or did it unlock bootloader?

Search This thread

sigma_p

Dec 25, 2013
Reading a few articles here on XDA and a few outside about the general process of rooting and unlocking bootloader, here are a few things I have learnt (question is below) -

Usual steps to root -
1) Unlock bootloader or bypass bootloader.

2) Install a "Custom Recovery". Eg : CWM, TWRP.

3) Push(or copy) a binary file "su" to the "root" of the device using this "Custom Recovery".

For the Nexus, HTC and Sony devices, the first step (unlocking the bootloader) can usually be found on the website of the OEM itself.
It involves using "adb" and "fastboot" executables provided by Google.

BUT Samsung does NOT have this procedure.
Instead, MOST rooting procedures I have seen, use ODIN.
And the first steps are -

1) Boot to "Download mode"

2) Install "Custom Recovery" through ODIN.

So what EXACTLY is happening to the bootloader?

Does ODIN unlock the bootloader in Samsung devices?
OR is it just bypassed to install a Custom Recovery?

I hope this is a valid question!

And sorry for using all the quotation marks. I just wanted to highlight a few things and HTML tags for bold and italics are not working for me for some strange reason.

demkantor

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Nov 10, 2011
mpls
I love wrongly used quotation marks, some great websites for that!
With rooting every device is different and most Samsung devices do not need to have their bootloader unlocked. Its not better or worse just different. It's all about how the oem writes the firmware, Samsung just often doesn't have this, which also is why those same devices don't allow for fastboot commands, not written into the code
If you are asking how to root your device I would need more specifics on what it is but just know that unlocking the bootloader is not always a prerequisite.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Reactions: sigma_p

sigma_p

Dec 25, 2013
With rooting every device is different and most Samsung devices do not need to have their bootloader unlocked. Its not better or worse just different. It's all about how the oem writes the firmware, Samsung just often doesn't have this, which also is why those same devices don't allow for fastboot commands, not written into the code
If you are asking how to root your device I would need more specifics on what it is but just know that unlocking the bootloader is not always a prerequisite.

I recently rooted my SGH-I577 and flashed CM11 on it.
Thanks to InkSlinger420!

In the process, I wanted to get a general idea of what is going on instead of only following the steps.
So I guess my Samsung phone is rooted but the bootloader is NOT unlocked?

And sorry for the quotation marks again.
I can't get the options on the top of the edit text message box to work. Like Bold, Italics, attach, hyperlink etc etc...

They're just thumbnails :(

The smilies on the side too...

Off topic, but help?

demkantor

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Nov 10, 2011
mpls
Wasnt picking on you by the way, just saying how fun it is to read sites like this
http://www.unnecessaryquotes.com

But to answer your question, you device doesn't have a step to unlock the bootloader in the rooting guide because it isn't needed. In a sense it is unlocked. The reason other devices need you to unlock the bootloader before root is there isn't another exploit to bypass the security checks done by the bootloader (and sometimes radio) so in order to root one of these often the first step is to unlock the bootloader.
Your bootloader doesn't run these same checks and so there is no need, again not necessarily better or worse, just different

Sent from my Nexus 7 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

sigma_p

Dec 25, 2013
Wasnt picking on you by the way, just saying how fun it is to read sites like this
http://www.unnecessaryquotes.com

But to answer your question, you device doesn't have a step to unlock the bootloader in the rooting guide because it isn't needed. In a sense it is unlocked. The reason other devices need you to unlock the bootloader before root is there isn't another exploit to bypass the security checks done by the bootloader (and sometimes radio) so in order to root one of these often the first step is to unlock the bootloader.
Your bootloader doesn't run these same checks and so there is no need, again not necessarily better or worse, just different

Haha!
Gave me a laugh, that website! I'll refrain from using quotes.

Thanks!
Have a better understanding of the root process now! :) (I think)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

http://news.distractify.com/people/the-30-most-unnecessary-uses-of-quotation-marks-in-history/

Feel free to ask further "questions"