This may be odd

Search This thread

michaelo147

Feb 17, 2010
But i rooted my N1, but i am completely happy with the way it is now and i dont want to flash a custom rom on it, so what can i really do now, for instance would i be able to install wired tether and have it work? or do i need to install a custom rom for that

I am just wondering if there is any benefit of your the N1 so far without having to flash a custom rom

GuerillaZhou

Feb 25, 2010
yes, you should be able to install wired and wifi tether. but i would suggest giving other roms a shot, if you dont like it. just do a nand restore

inhuman5000

Feb 20, 2010
can you still install apps2sd with no custom rom?
also newb question. doesn installing a custom rom after root give a noticable perfomance boost? like feeing up more ram and rom as well?

GuerillaZhou

Feb 25, 2010
most custom roms have the himem enabled, so that will double the available ram for you to use. and apps2sd only works well with the custom rom they came with

i am running cyanogen, and it works really well, better than stock for sure.

michaelo147

Feb 17, 2010
But when you go to the download page of wired tethered it says i need a rdnis enabled kernel and i dont think the nexus one comes stock with it, but thats mainly just a guess not an actual fact of knowledge

rjhay22

Dec 16, 2009
Torrance. California
:) I don't blame you the N1 already performs great even when it's stock, but since you're already rooted, I suggest you flash Amon's recovery, do a nandroid back up, and try out the available ROMs, you will get everything the stock ROM has and A LOT more, it gives you more memory, speed boost, battery savings, and the option to save aps to SD. If you aren't happy with it you can always restore it. :)

I'm running Enomther's ROM right now, and trust me you wont get disappointed.

Good Luck!

But i rooted my N1, but i am completely happy with the way it is now and i dont want to flash a custom rom on it, so what can i really do now, for instance would i be able to install wired tether and have it work? or do i need to install a custom rom for that

I am just wondering if there is any benefit of your the N1 so far without having to flash a custom rom

inhuman5000

Feb 20, 2010
sorry another question.
If i decide to root. could i backup all my current apps and recover them once i root. I have mybackup pro and will i be able to just run restore apps in a custom rom with mybackup pro?
And with rooted phones, all over the air updates by google must be manually installed right? instead of ota right?

Last edited:

rjhay22

Dec 16, 2009
Torrance. California
I'm not sure how backup pro works but I think it'll restore your aps coz that's what its for :p also when you flash a new ROM, the first time you open your downloads list from the market, all the apps you have installed from your previous ROM will be available for download. Note that this only works the first time you open market, so make sure you don't exit the market until your done installing all, or you won't see them again. :)

Yes you wont get OTA updates when you're rooted, but this is not a big deal since the devs update their ROM as soon as Google releases an update, often, they even get the leaked versions and incorporate it in their ROMs, so you'll be running the updated version of the N1 way before the stock N1's get it.

sorry another question.
If i decide to root. could i backup all my current apps and recover them once i root. I have mybackup pro and will i be able to just run restore apps in a custom rom with mybackup pro?

Last edited:

setzer715

Jan 29, 2009
North Phoenix
yes, you should be able to install wired and wifi tether. but i would suggest giving other roms a shot, if you dont like it. just do a nand restore

This is actually incorrect. The kernal needs to be updated to be able to use ether of the tethering apps. With the stock rom, there isn't much you can do with a rooted phone. In fact, its almost a waste to root unless your going to run a custom ROM. I use and trust Enomther's ROM's. VERY stable and capable of using tether apps, apps2sd, has the hacked kernal that allows the full use of the 512Mb of RAM etc. etc. Check it out here.

inhuman5000

Feb 20, 2010
I'm not sure how backup pro works but I think it'll restore your aps coz that's what its for :p also when you flash a new ROM, the first time you open your downloads list from the market, all the apps you have installed from your previous ROM will be available for download. Note that this only works the first time you open market, so make sure you don't exit the market until your done installing all, or you won't see them again. :)

Yes you wont get OTA updates when you're rooted, but this is not a big deal since the devs update their ROM as soon as Google releases an update, often, they even get the leaked versions and incorporate it in their ROMs, so you'll be running the updated version of the N1 way before the stock N1's get it.

thanks alot man.

craigacgomez

Jan 29, 2010
Tustin
sorry another question.
And with rooted phones, all over the air updates by google must be manually installed right? instead of ota right?

Not sure about backup pro, but I think it should do what you need... atleast thats what ppl have said... i personally never used it..

Most cooked ROMs disable OTA updates... but if u hv stock rooted, you will get the OTA updates, but it'll most likely disable root if a new boot image is part of the OTA...

martin0285

Jan 11, 2010
Maine
Daily people post about this. Why un-lock the bootloader (thus VOIDING your warranty) to keep a stock rom? Makes absolutely no sense. Cyanogen and Emon are trusted people that WILL NOT RELEASE ANYTHING THAT WILL BLOW UP YOUR PHONE!! There is a disclaimer for idiots that may not pay attention. If you follow directions you will never have a problem. If you end up with a problem (bootloop or alot of FCs) hop on #cyanogenmod on freenode IRC. Those guys are always willing to help you through problems, Even noobs usually.

Hardware defects will happen on stock just as they will custom ROMs. So don't waste your time un-locking, if you don't plan on running a custom ROM.

YOU CAN'T BRICK YOUR PHONE FLASHING CyanogenMOD/Emon ROMS!!! ONLY RADIOS AND SPL's!!!!!!!!

michaelo147

Feb 17, 2010
dude chill there questions i rooted my g1 and i thought it was a fun experience and i just bought a nexus one and i wanted to see if i could root it, but i really enjoy the way my nexus one runs now, its all i wanted to know