[Rom] [CruzControlMOD] [Micro Velocity Cruz T301]

Search This thread

dillonhardin27

Dec 29, 2010
I soon will be getting a T301 (About 1pm or so today) and word on the street is that its been out while and no one has made any custom roms for it, Therefore im going to take a crack at it and see what i can do. This is my first tablet so be prepared for trial and error but I sure won't do a half-ass job on my work. Now heres a couple of things to come:
De-Odex
Custom Boot Animation
Custom Theme
New Keyboard With Demon Speed Tweaks
Plenty Of Under The Hood Tweaks

There will definitely be alot more (Hopefully), While at this time im not actually positive what this tablet is actually capable of but i will definitely have an update of whats to come by 3:00 after i test it and such.

Last edited:
Reactions: CrowdedCranium

trppen37

Jul 31, 2011
Hey well I hope there is someone that can make a custom rom for this tablet...here is some information ive been able to find out... From Rooting and Installing market:

TO Root Tablet..

After Installing "jdk-6u25-windows-i586" and "android-sdk_r11-windows" and "ADB_usb_driver"

Connect your device via USB.

Now, hold the Windows Key and press R. Type cmd in the box and press Enter.

In the Command window, type

cd/

and hit enter. Now type

cd android-sdk-windows

then type

cd platform-tools

and hit enter. Now here is where you will begin rooting the device. Type the following

adb devices "I did this to make sure the device was listed"

adb shell

and hit enter. you should now have a # sign.

Now Type

mount -o rw,remount -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock3 /system

hit enter, then type

cat /system/bin/sh > /system/bin/su

hit enter, then type

chmod 4755 /system/bin/su

hit enter, now type

sync

hit enter then finally type

reboot

and hit enter. Your device will reboot. When it comes back on it will be rooted!

-------------------------------------------------------
To Install Market

Okay,
The following list includes the exact google apps package I used, and the order in which the extracted apk's were installed...

google apps package : PM me if you want the link...xda says after 8 posts I can posts links

Only use hdpi package for CyanogenMod 6, otherwise the apk version will be wrong

and with this apps package, I extracted all of the apk's inside, and used "all" of them.

They were installed in the following order :

app 1=genie widget apk
app 2=google backup transport apk
app 3=google contacts sync adapter apk
app 4=google feedback apk
app 5=google partner setup apk
app 6=google services framework apk
app 7=google voice apk
app 8=kickback apk
app 9=market updater apk
app10=media uploader apk
app11=network location apk
app12=setup wizard apk......

note: setup wizard apk is needed for the log in scripts to google market, and google talk respectively..

app13=soundback apk
app14=google talk apk

note: I believe google talk is the engine used for the market portal access....so you must install..

app15=vending apk

note: vending apk is installed last just prior to reboot of the cruz tablet...

this is the exact order of install from the above apps package I used....and I have 2 working cruz tablets with market access, google talk, and gmail.

Note: gmail apk is not included in the above apps package, and is downloaded from the market once it's working.

Note: dont be worried about space for the apk's. After the flash card partitions made in the 2.2 firmware update, you should have nearly 425 megabytes of application space remaining for apps later on. And the total size for the apps package is only 18 meg.

-------------------------------------

To Reset Market:

Thing is, I've found that a number of apps that don't appear in the Market still install just fine. For example, I can't locate Maps in the market, but it works, as does the similarly invisible Dolphin HD. There are hacks for the Market that are used to allow QVGA phones to see items that aren't specifically tagged as QVGA-compatible, so there may well be similar hacks to allow us to see more. (It may or may not install, but at least we'd have the chance to try.)

Tv

Edit: found a note on the Web re: the Market. An Archos user found that if you follow these steps:

Go to Settings - Applications - Manage Applications - All tab;
Go to the "Market" app: "Clear Cache" then "Force Stop" — DO NOT Clear data;
Go to the "Google Services Framework" app: "Clear data" then "Force Stop";
Reboot your machine;
Restart the Market application. It may force close for the first run, ignore it and restart it again.

Reactions: bldkcstark

sakim

Aug 2, 2011
I would absolutely LOVE a custom rom OR even just a workaround that disables the notification bar from appearing on touch events in a full screen app.

Anybody want to tackle that one?

haroua216

Dec 16, 2011
would love to see a custom rom for Cruz T-Series

would definitely donate as well. i think lots of people would especially with christmas coming and these things so cheap! also some other MIPS based devices with ICS are coming out so it would be a good learner for some people maybe.

i would love an AP included and i hear that this is what may be slowing up some other people right now other than just recently receiving source from Ingenic.

Its a great machine regardless, at least for the price.

anyway, this place is great and you all have helped me quite a bit. PLease let me know if there is anything i can do for you..

aago1254

Jul 6, 2009
please stop

lets keep the market and the retardation out of this thread please. stop using incorrect terms to your post saying rooting your device. the CRUZ T301 IS ROOTED ALREADY. the commands you used gave you read write access. so please STOP WITH THE DUMB POST AND CALLING THIS ROOT. okay. now that we have that covered lets stop posting stuff that is covered in other forums. goochbuntu.com has better steps to make the market work. and even fixing the already rooted device fixing the su. so we can install and use rooted apps. okay now thats said..

okay lets focus on custom roms here or :p cynogenmod or something useful.

if you want to post useless info go back to slatedroid site

mcarrion78

Jun 19, 2010
Fayetteville NC
Hi I'm new to the Android world and I got to say I love it. My question is, has their been a successful root using the method above. I did steps above but I think I missed something. Can someone pls give me hand on rooting this device successfully. Thanks

im looking for sum help as well. also where would be the best place to get the gapps? any help would be much apreciated

Reactions: SexyGermanChik

AndroidLover813

Okay update on root and by the way I have a Velocity Micro Cruz Reader just in case anyway I've successfully rooted my device using the method above but some reason I can't get my Market to work. I've been able to install apps like, Titanium Backup, SetCPU, Advanced Task Killer Pro and some other rooted apps but it still seems a little sluggish. I know its just a reader but I know it can put more. Ive been reading around but still haven't found a decent Rom or a recovery. It'll be greatly appreciated for a little guidance. Not to get off topic but My experience with android:
First Huawei Ascend, this phone introduced me to the Android OS and fell in love ever since. I flashed many roms to it starting with Cyanogen. Right now I have a HTC Evo 4G with SOS v 1.9. If someone needs help with something not saying I can do it but I'm willing to give it a try just shoot me a line and be glad to give my input. And LETS KEEP THIS THREAD ALIVE we need more support for this device. The possibilities are endless besides the 256 ram lol. Thanks

AndroidLover813

I've been lucky enough to find some gapps from the XDA threads. Just grabbing when I can because I haven't found a complete file folder but I believe if you keep looking you'll find them. Have you tried Slatedroid, they also have support for the Velocity MICRO, you might find those apps their. I love my Cruz can't wait to flash a rom like cyanogen and clockwork recovery. But any suggestions would be great thanks.

feyerbrand

Feb 2, 2011
If you head over to the Velocity Cruz section on Slate Droid you will see there is a new rom that was released 1/10/2012

tevil

Aug 10, 2011
New Haven, CT
Google Pixel 4a 5G
how did you get setcpu installed. I followed a slatedroid thread and my buddies 310 seems to be rooted and such correctly but i can not get setcpu to install and can not seem to overclock it.
tried using cpu master pro but it just wont overclock past the 528

cant see setcpu in store and when i put the apk on the sd it just says app not installed.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info. A couple of weeks ago Dad bought one of these T301 on Ebay for $20.00. It took a day or two but they called up and want to root, and get market on it. I was just looing at 4z, z4? Forgot but I bookmarked it as a get back to item. I looked at it and got the impression, "Gee thats nice, not worth messing with but nice."

Markey1979

Apr 13, 2012
quakertown
rom not happening

so im guessing this rom is not happening right?

I guess this is not happening +1

I also have a T301, and I know the filesystem comes with root access, but I have installed all that there is to install, from these forums, and the slatedroid forums.

I have froyo installed, but have never been able to install the VitalSource Bookshelf apk. I would like to use it to view my school textbooks, which is why I bought the tablet in the first place. :confused:

Today, I got this bug, up my behind (figuratively), and decided to see if their is anything that I can do about it. I have all the mips git repositories installed, along with an uncompressed stock update image.

What android version should I try to port? --> not that I know how to do that yet, but if there is a way, I will find it scouring the xda forums.

The Rasberry pi people seem to be making headway on porting ICS, so that may be a viable solution. Other than mips arch, this tablet has very similar specifications to a Rasberry pi.

The CDD for ICS says it needs like 379MB ram, and this tablet has only 256MB, but hey, so does the original RPI

What do you think?

---------- Post added at 04:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:56 PM ----------

Sorry, I just wanted to follow this thread also.

I am sure it is doable, I just have to find some free time. This time of year there is not a lot of time for me to sit down and figure this out. Hopefully I can get something going by Jan/Feb after the holiday season is over

....assuming the world does not end

Markey1979

Apr 13, 2012
quakertown
t301 custom rom

ok,

So, this is what I have so far......

I'm sure that we can agree that the T301 uses an Ingenic JZ4760 processor. The JZ4760 processor uses mips32-r1 code. It is FP compatible. The JZ4770 on the other hand is a mips32-r2 code device.

There are also some other differences in the CPU's. I think video could also be a problem. The JZ4770 has a much nicer video module.

I think that we will need a custom build.

Is there a place that we can find the drivers to build or do we need to write our own?

ICS seems to be built on a newer kernel version, and mips technologies has released the 3.0.8 kernel, so I think that will be ok to build the ASOP, but I am sure the drivers will be the problem

I tore the tablet open, took some pictures, and made a list of the parts the I will most likely need to make drivers for.

I will attach the list, but it is a work in progress

Attachments

• t301_specifications.txt
    942 bytes · Views: 72
Reactions: CrowdedCranium

feyerbrand

Feb 2, 2011
Support over on SlateDroid

I am currently working with the T100 series, I don't think we should push any higher than GB for these tablets, seeing as how they run a max of 600MHZ. My friend developer was able to get the Ainol Novo 4.0 running on it, but he said it was far beyond usable. I am trying to get him to pass me the information that he had compiled into it so I can continue support of the device. I think I have a work around for Flash, and other specs... but I am waiting for my device to be returned to me since I had to RMA it due to bricking. I will post a thread over on SlateDroid and you can follow progress there. Once I get a functional rom that boots I will then post here at XDA. I am aiming to Odex since that will add speed, and debloat along with Market support. 2.2 will be the first release and once I can get that compiled 2.3 will happen. I will continue to play around with the idea of ICS, but once again due to low power I don't think it would be truly worth it...

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I soon will be getting a T301 (About 1pm or so today) and word on the street is that its been out while and no one has made any custom roms for it, Therefore im going to take a crack at it and see what i can do. This is my first tablet so be prepared for trial and error but I sure won't do a half-ass job on my work. Now heres a couple of things to come:
    De-Odex
    Custom Boot Animation
    Custom Theme
    New Keyboard With Demon Speed Tweaks
    Plenty Of Under The Hood Tweaks

There will definitely be alot more (Hopefully), While at this time im not actually positive what this tablet is actually capable of but i will definitely have an update of whats to come by 3:00 after i test it and such.
    Hey well I hope there is someone that can make a custom rom for this tablet...here is some information ive been able to find out... From Rooting and Installing market:

TO Root Tablet..

After Installing "jdk-6u25-windows-i586" and "android-sdk_r11-windows" and "ADB_usb_driver"

Connect your device via USB.

Now, hold the Windows Key and press R. Type cmd in the box and press Enter.

In the Command window, type

cd/

and hit enter. Now type

cd android-sdk-windows

then type

cd platform-tools

and hit enter. Now here is where you will begin rooting the device. Type the following

adb devices "I did this to make sure the device was listed"

adb shell

and hit enter. you should now have a # sign.

Now Type

mount -o rw,remount -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock3 /system

hit enter, then type

cat /system/bin/sh > /system/bin/su

hit enter, then type

chmod 4755 /system/bin/su

hit enter, now type

sync

hit enter then finally type

reboot

and hit enter. Your device will reboot. When it comes back on it will be rooted!

-------------------------------------------------------
    To Install Market

Okay,
    The following list includes the exact google apps package I used, and the order in which the extracted apk's were installed...

google apps package : PM me if you want the link...xda says after 8 posts I can posts links

Only use hdpi package for CyanogenMod 6, otherwise the apk version will be wrong

and with this apps package, I extracted all of the apk's inside, and used "all" of them.

They were installed in the following order :

app 1=genie widget apk
    app 2=google backup transport apk
    app 3=google contacts sync adapter apk
    app 4=google feedback apk
    app 5=google partner setup apk
    app 6=google services framework apk
    app 7=google voice apk
    app 8=kickback apk
    app 9=market updater apk
    app10=media uploader apk
    app11=network location apk
    app12=setup wizard apk......

note: setup wizard apk is needed for the log in scripts to google market, and google talk respectively..

app13=soundback apk
    app14=google talk apk

note: I believe google talk is the engine used for the market portal access....so you must install..

app15=vending apk

note: vending apk is installed last just prior to reboot of the cruz tablet...

this is the exact order of install from the above apps package I used....and I have 2 working cruz tablets with market access, google talk, and gmail.

Note: gmail apk is not included in the above apps package, and is downloaded from the market once it's working.

Note: dont be worried about space for the apk's. After the flash card partitions made in the 2.2 firmware update, you should have nearly 425 megabytes of application space remaining for apps later on. And the total size for the apps package is only 18 meg.

-------------------------------------

To Reset Market:

Thing is, I've found that a number of apps that don't appear in the Market still install just fine. For example, I can't locate Maps in the market, but it works, as does the similarly invisible Dolphin HD. There are hacks for the Market that are used to allow QVGA phones to see items that aren't specifically tagged as QVGA-compatible, so there may well be similar hacks to allow us to see more. (It may or may not install, but at least we'd have the chance to try.)

Tv

Edit: found a note on the Web re: the Market. An Archos user found that if you follow these steps:

Go to Settings - Applications - Manage Applications - All tab;
    Go to the "Market" app: "Clear Cache" then "Force Stop" — DO NOT Clear data;
    Go to the "Google Services Framework" app: "Clear data" then "Force Stop";
    Reboot your machine;
    Restart the Market application. It may force close for the first run, ignore it and restart it again.
    Hi I'm new to the Android world and I got to say I love it. My question is, has their been a successful root using the method above. I did steps above but I think I missed something. Can someone pls give me hand on rooting this device successfully. Thanks

im looking for sum help as well. also where would be the best place to get the gapps? any help would be much apreciated
    t301 custom rom

ok,

So, this is what I have so far......

I'm sure that we can agree that the T301 uses an Ingenic JZ4760 processor. The JZ4760 processor uses mips32-r1 code. It is FP compatible. The JZ4770 on the other hand is a mips32-r2 code device.

There are also some other differences in the CPU's. I think video could also be a problem. The JZ4770 has a much nicer video module.

I think that we will need a custom build.

Is there a place that we can find the drivers to build or do we need to write our own?

ICS seems to be built on a newer kernel version, and mips technologies has released the 3.0.8 kernel, so I think that will be ok to build the ASOP, but I am sure the drivers will be the problem

I tore the tablet open, took some pictures, and made a list of the parts the I will most likely need to make drivers for.

I will attach the list, but it is a work in progress