Rooting the Captivate Glide (SGH-I927)

Search This thread

sher19

Sep 20, 2012
Sim contacts.

The AT&T rooted rom doesn't recognize that there's a sim card in it? Is there a fix to this? Thanks for the help too!! I was searching everywhere!!

Last edited:

bbqbrisket

Feb 19, 2013
stuck in the middle

Ok.
I attached the "boot.tar" to Odin and I got the green light and it appears to be successful.
but now I am stuck on what to do if anything with this "i927 factory fs_rooted.img.tar".
and then what to do after that?

any help is apprectiated.

zourv

Nov 21, 2014
hi im new to android and all rooting upgrading stuff
noob question:
I have i927 with Android 4.0.4, supersu is installed, how to check if my phone is rooted or not ? and what wwill happen if i "reroot it" ?
i want to follow this guide: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1378082, can i just use sedirom or i should install rooted rom (rooted ROM (AT&T based ROM)
) provided in guide?

another question is about languages in sedirom i want Polish lang, is it possible to select it with sedirom?

steadfasterX

Recognized Developer
Nov 13, 2013
OnePlus 7T Pro
hi im new to android and all rooting upgrading stuff
noob question:
I have i927 with Android 4.0.4, supersu is installed, how to check if my phone is rooted or not ? and what wwill happen if i "reroot it" ?
i want to follow this guide: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1378082, can i just use sedirom or i should install rooted rom (rooted ROM (AT&T based ROM)
) provided in guide?

another question is about languages in sedirom i want Polish lang, is it possible to select it with sedirom?

Hi

Look into the google play store, search for "check root" there are apps who could tell you.
But If you have a terminal app installed simply open it and type in "su" if you get a prompt asking for root/su permissions you are rooted. If you get something like "command not found" or similar then you aren't.

Well you should avoid to re-root unless you use the same rooting method as before. That means if you used guide X then you could root again by guide X but not by guide A. Hope you got what I mean. The reason for this is that rooting with different methods can result in 2 different rooting apps installed like supersu and superuser which are co-existing then. And this can result in strange behaviour.

Rooting means that you install a "su" app within /system partiton which is normally not possible for a normal user. That said you need to hijack Android/the device to make that possible and that is what you will do when rooting. Afterwards when an app asking for root permission you will get a popup asking for it.

sediROM is already rooted (you can choose within the installer if you either want to have it rooted or not) but you will need to have TWRP recovery installed to be able to install sediROM. Read the instructions in my thread carefully and before anything else follow the backup instructions (nandroid + EFS)!!

If you want to install sediROM you can choose partial wipe or full wipe. I would recommend a full one in your case to be sure that you have only 1 su app installed. Unfortunately that means you will loose apps and configs so I would (beside the nandroid + EFS backups) also do a backup of all your apps wit "mybackup root"(only possible if you're already rooted of course) or titanium backup which will cost some money if not rooted but it is a very good backup app. In both cases ensure that you not backup the app only but also the "data".

If you are not rooted yet you could try the partial wipe when installing sediROM. As always you should backup before here too.

Regarding you last question: Unfortunately the polish language is not enabled in sediROM (German,English,Espanol and some japanese/chinese ones) but you could add a feature request to my sediROM thread ( look there at the top in the menu and click on feature request ) if you like.

Regardless of which ROM you will install now I hope that was helpful for you a little bit regarding background etc ;)

Xdajog

-----
Sent from my SGH-I927 using XDA Android mobile app

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Note - Sorry everyone; I've been so busy with work the past few days, and it doesn't seem to be letting up any time soon. I'll try to check in as much as possible.

This thread is mainly for rooting development / techniques and updates on the SGH-I927[R]; If you're looking for the latest (detailed) instructions, please see CarpeNoctem's guide here:

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1378082

If you want to participate in ongoing rooting/dev work, keep reading! :)

----

Success! The SGH-I927R was rooted on Dec 5, after a great team effort. We finally have the powerful device the Captivate Glide was meant to be! Special thanks to:

ardatdat, boog, CarpeNoctem, and everyone that helped keep this thread alive.

You've now got a couple options. If you don't mind the annoying little yellow triangle on boot-up (I think it looks kinda hackerish ;)), you can simply flash my insecure STOCK Rogers boot image (ro.secure = 0), attached to this message. I've never tested this against an AT&T ROM, so if you do, please report back how it goes!

Simply load this .tar up in the PDA section (same as procedure below), flash, and you should be able to adb in as root. Then, install your mode 6755 su binary into /system/xbin, and superuser.apk.

Note that you can always flash back to the stock kernel (also attached), when you're done rooting your device. This will restore the normal boot logo.

Alternatively, here are two pre-rooted ROMs:

Rogers Canada (SGH-I927R): https://rapidshare.com/files/1741701072/SGH-I927RUXKJ5_STOCK_ROOTED.tar.bz2
    AT&T (SGH-I927): https://rapidshare.com/files/3058304268/I927UCKI3_STOCK_ROOTED.tar.bz2

1. Unpack the tarball, which will dump out a single tar file.
    2. Put phone into download mode.
    3. Launch ODIN, and select the file from the PDA flash option.
    4. Don't touch anything else!
    5. Flash the image.

Now, this goes without saying, but:

This is highly experimental! It could permanently brick your device! It worked for me, but I cannot accept any responsibility if something goes wrong!

At this point, it seems kernels and roms are interchangeable. I highly recommend the Rogers kernel, as it's not infected with CarrierIQ.

PS - Thank you Rogers, for doing the right thing!
    Try telling it that it needs to lose some weight. That should make it really insecure.
    Ladies and gentlemen,

We are in business. The SGH-I927R is rooted!

Give me a few minutes to clean things up, throw together some instructions, and upload my image. I should have the kernel / boot image shortly.

THANK YOU TO EVERYONE in this thread! This was a real team effort all around!

Go team! :cool:
    running smoothly at 1.2ghz with set cpu on interactive

Hehe, I just re-build the whole kernel using source from I927R. Especially take out the CIQ part. Actually, because it checks for the flag: #ifdef CIQ_SUPPORT, and I make sure that this flag is not turned on in config file. So, no worry!

It is still OC to 1.2GHz. Try it :D

I have nothing to do with Captivate Glide and I do not mind if Captivate Glide development threads are being open here in this subforum but it will be nice for you guys if you can get your own subforum. I went ahead and send a PM to members of moderator committee about subforum. I hope they will make one soon.
    And great work with rooting.