Kindle Fire HD 7 - Switches on then immediately off.

Search This thread

rash.m2k

Sep 10, 2009
Hi All,

My kindle fire hd 7 (Model number X43Z60) has I think gone completely caput.

Here are the symptoms:

When I plug it into the power supply (including connecting it to the computer) the kindle fire logo comes on and then it disappears (no 'ping' noises on windows to show it's connected).

So I spent most of today building a factory cable and succed and now can get it into fastboot mode, BUT this time the kindle logo comes on and then the fastboot logo and then it dies switches of again.

However I DO get the windows ping noise this time and windows does detect something. But it then switches off and disconnects from the PC.

Fortunately I have enough time to be able to flash boot.img and recovery.img (they are about 8kb so very small), but not enough time to flash system.img using the KFHD_SRTv1.3.5 tool.

Also just now I have managed to get usb id of the device that it comes up as, it comes up under device manager as Android ADB Interface with a usb id of 1949:0007

How can I fix this kindle? Why does it simply switch off after a few moments?

LinearEquation

Aug 26, 2013
Midwest
Hi All,

My kindle fire hd 7 (Model number X43Z60) has I think gone completely caput.

Here are the symptoms:

When I plug it into the power supply (including connecting it to the computer) the kindle fire logo comes on and then it disappears (no 'ping' noises on windows to show it's connected).

So I spent most of today building a factory cable and succed and now can get it into fastboot mode, BUT this time the kindle logo comes on and then the fastboot logo and then it dies switches of again.

However I DO get the windows ping noise this time and windows does detect something. But it then switches off and disconnects from the PC.

Fortunately I have enough time to be able to flash boot.img and recovery.img (they are about 8kb so very small), but not enough time to flash system.img using the KFHD_SRTv1.3.5 tool.

Also just now I have managed to get usb id of the device that it comes up as, it comes up under device manager as Android ADB Interface with a usb id of 1949:0007

How can I fix this kindle? Why does it simply switch off after a few moments?

Seems you're looping. I would get another fastboot cord and make sure that's not the issue. A fastboot cord is suppose to keep the tablet energized. If it does not, then IO would inspect the USB port on the tablet for a loose soldier joint.

rash.m2k

Sep 10, 2009
Seems you're looping. I would get another fastboot cord and make sure that's not the issue. A fastboot cord is suppose to keep the tablet energized. If it does not, then IO would inspect the USB port on the tablet for a loose soldier joint.

I didn't have a 1k ohm resistor - do I actually need that between vcc and pin 4? I'll double check the cable now.

rash.m2k

Sep 10, 2009
The Kindle should stay powered in fastboot as long as the voltage is present. If not, then there may be an issue with the USB port or something with the software.

I just removed all the connectors on the mobo once I removed the battery one and plugged in the charger it appears to power on (not fully) but I get a android recovery screen asking me to reboot or reset to defaults.

I think I just need to flash the system.img and then it should be fine.

One more question - why are there TWO system.img files in the KFHD_SRTv1.3.5.zip file from this thread:

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1951254

LinearEquation

Aug 26, 2013
Midwest
I just removed all the connectors on the mobo once I removed the battery one and plugged in the charger it appears to power on (not fully) but I get a android recovery screen asking me to reboot or reset to defaults.

I think I just need to flash the system.img and then it should be fine.

One more question - why are there TWO system.img files in the KFHD_SRTv1.3.5.zip file from this thread:

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1951254

mobo? remove battery? You are using Kindle Fire HD 7 right?

rash.m2k

Sep 10, 2009
mobo? remove battery? You are using Kindle Fire HD 7 right?

Yes - I cracked the case open!

Anyway it's now fixed! The cable was a bit dodgy too one of the pins was being pushed back when I plugged it into the micro usb port!

Thanks for your help dude

For anyone else that sees this I basically following the following steps:

flashed boot.img
flashed recovery.img
flashed system.img

Using fastboot -i xxxxxx boot/recovery/system etc

LinearEquation

Aug 26, 2013
Midwest
Yes - I cracked the case open!

Anyway it's now fixed! The cable was a bit dodgy too one of the pins was being pushed back when I plugged it into the micro usb port!

Thanks for your help dude

For anyone else that sees this I basically following the following steps:

flashed boot.img
flashed recovery.img
flashed system.img

Using fastboot -i xxxxxx boot/recovery/system etc

Good to see it working. Yea, that happened when I slapped my first cord together too. Worked great until I plugged it in lol.