[Q] EVO 4G - FreedomPop - Custom ROM - Update Profile

Search This thread

muttleytm

Sep 3, 2013
I recently set up FreedomPop on my EVO 4G and everything worked OK. Shortly thereafter I installed Cyanmobile ROM and everything still worked. After a while though I could no longer dial calls. I could still use the 4G for data though. Apparently the profile needs to be updated from time to time.

I did some looking around and found that cyanogen didn't have a way to update the profile file and that to do it you had to backup cyanogen , install a stock ROM, uptate the profile file, then restore cyanogen. I also found a post

http://blog.ryantadams.com/2013/03/03/updating-prl-from-within-cyanogenmod/

That discussed why cyanogen couldn't install the update and proposed a way to do this by creating a contact with a specific dial code that you can call that will update the PRL file. The post discussed the code for Verizon and there was a comment about Sprint and the reply was that he thought it was simply *2,,,,,2 and suggested contacting the provider to find out.

I tried *2,,,,,2 and it didn't work. I contacted FreedomPop and all I could get out of them that the phone service is connected though the FreedomPop messaging application. I thought I could de-compile this app and then do a search for a string starting with a "*". I tried that but didn't find anything.

Does anyone know if this method works and what the code is, how to find out what the code is, or anything about this?

Also, is there a way to update the profile from adb?

fengqichu

Dec 1, 2015
Can you please upload a freedompop stock ROM? I have the same problem but I forgot to backup the original ROM.

muttleytm

Sep 3, 2013
At the time I posted this I was using an EVO 4G and FP was using the Sprint Wimax network. Because of some hardware problems (USB port and main board or screen connectors) with my phone and the fact that Sprint/FP were switcing to Lte I switched to a FP Samsung Galaxy S3, which among other things came rooted. Because of this I never followed though on this advice. I can't help with a copy of the stock ROM either, but, I'm sure it is around.

You comment was timely though, because I'm on the verge of installing CM on the S3. I went to CM on the othe phone mainly because of low memory memory issues. When KitKat was updated to 4.4.2 they made it so that third party apps can't write the the SD card. They've since fixed their fix for KitKat for newer phones anyway, but, the S3 is stuck with 4.4.2. Theres and app that is supposed to fix it, but, it doesn't work, on my phone anyway.

The new CM still doesn't allow updating PRL/Profiles, so I was trying to remember the advice from this post.

I had remembered that there was a dual boot approach to switch back to stock for PRL/Profile updates. The MultiROM TWRP recovery is not compatible with my phone, but, I did find:

[TOOL] [MultiSystem] MultiROM and Recovery Replacement for Android

It is described in: xda-developers Android Development and Hacking Android Software and Hacking General [Developers Only] [TOOL] [MultiSystem] MultiROM and Recovery Replacement for Android by hsbadr.

It looks like what will work with the phone I have now. I will look into it futher.