Search This thread

Etrnlwanderer

May 6, 2008
Cochin
Odin flashing a complete tar file (as opposed to a modem or kernel) will completely rewrite the data on your phone, so it will be set back to stock - you will lose both root and custom recovery. There are also root uninstallers, but I have not seen any other method to remove the custom recovery (and I can't say whether the root uninstall restores everything that was altered in order to root). I Odin flashed my first Epic when the 4G radio died (hardware failure), and it no one at the Sprint store was any the wiser (although, at this store, I probably could have gone in with it running DOS and they wouldn't have known the difference, lol)

Flashing the .tar file as noted above will wipe the slate clean. However, the process doesn't remove the CWM files from your SD card. You will need to delete those manually with a file manager like Astro or Root manager.

Thank you, I plan to format my SD card after I have gone back to stock, so I guess that should take care of any trace files like CWM which would be there in the SD card.

I have the SPH-D700-DI18-8Gb-REL.tar.md5 and s1_odin_20100512.pit which I guess should suffice to Odin back to Stock Eclair. I had used these same files to Odin back from Froyo.

Gowind

Dec 9, 2010
Cochin
The new TouchWiz in Froyo

Hello everybody. im getting my Epic 4g in a weeks time and i was going through the net to learn more about it in the mean time. I know Epic is having a downgraded version of ToucWiz with limitations.
So my question to all those geeks who already use Froyo in their Epic is that;

1. Is it upgraded to TW 3.0
2. Is it on par with the TW that other Galaxy S line up Has recieved with their
Froyo Update.
3. If not, what are the limitations and features lacking in the Froyo TW in Epic.

Thanx in advance :)

Pirate-M.Lifnen

Dec 9, 2010
Question:

I cannot connect to my Epic in download mode on mac os x either.

I was trying to install a lag fix, and now all my phone will do when powering on is show switch between the normal Samsung screen, and another reading "Samgung GT I9000".

I can still boot into Clockwork Recovery. But OS X will not recognize my phone.
Either that, or Heimdall isn't recognizing it and won't let me flash.

Help! Any ideas?

thomasskull666

Sep 24, 2010
St. Louis
Hello everybody. im getting my Epic 4g in a weeks time and i was going through the net to learn more about it in the mean time. I know Epic is having a downgraded version of ToucWiz with limitations.
So my question to all those geeks who already use Froyo in their Epic is that;

1. Is it upgraded to TW 3.0
2. Is it on par with the TW that other Galaxy S line up Has recieved with their
Froyo Update.
3. If not, what are the limitations and features lacking in the Froyo TW in Epic.

Thanx in advance :)

It's the new TW, through and through.

Gowind

Dec 9, 2010
Cochin
Thanks Thomas. So u mean to say that now even epic users are gonna get all those guddies in TouchWiz like other galaxy s users. Thats great news.

Gowind

Dec 9, 2010
Cochin
@Etrnlwanderer.
Hey do you get evdo speeds for yr epic in india. since u are a user who stays in cochin. can u put some light on it. whats the maximum internet speed u get on yr epic.

thetruejay20

Mar 5, 2008
So I flashed the leaked DJ29 ROM and was wondering if I could just wipe and flash an older custom DI18 ROM without any problems?

Thanks JC

Dj21o

Feb 22, 2010
I just rooted my Epic. I used to have an HTC Hero and I got good at everything.. But can someone elaborate on what the "modem" is? From what I learned:
- kernel was for overclocking
-firmware is the version your running 2.1, 2.2, etc.
What is the "build number" exactly? (& why I need to change it when switching roms..)

People are saying everything about the D18 and D28 and I am lost lol.

styles420

Nov 12, 2010
Samsung Galaxy S21
I just rooted my Epic. I used to have an HTC Hero and I got good at everything.. But can someone elaborate on what the "modem" is? From what I learned:
- kernel was for overclocking
-firmware is the version your running 2.1, 2.2, etc.
What is the "build number" exactly? (& why I need to change it when switching roms..)

People are saying everything about the D18 and D28 and I am lost lol.

How much do you know about computers? Think about what a modem does in a computer... (A developer can elaborate on this further, but it sounds like you don't necessarily need all of the details about the inner workings, or you wouldn't have to ask this question)

Also, I wanted to clarify a fallacy in your statement about the kernel - it isn't just for overclocking, every phone (and every linux or unix based operating system, in fact) has a kernel, whether it is overclocked or not. The kernel is essentially the core of the operating system. The reason you need a custom kernel for overclocking is because the stock kernel doesn't support OC, so developers make modifications to it to provide that functionality.

Also, you don't change the build number... EVER... you can think of it as the version number of the firmware (you'll notice that each leak of Froyo has a different build number to differentiate them from each other), and it doesn't change - when you put a different version of the software on the phone, it will have a different build number. But to say that you changed the build number would imply that you kept the same software, but hacked the internal info to reflect a different number... this is probably just a semantic issue, but I wanted to clarify just in case.

Reactions: Dj21o

Dj21o

Feb 22, 2010
So your saying it does NOT matter what the D## is? You can still flash a ROM over the stock D18?

If I wanted to put 2.2 on my phone, all I have to do is literally make a backup, clear everything, and then flash like I did on the Hero?

And some of the kernals are optimized to save battery, yadda yadda yadda.. right?

I think I am getting it. :)

styles420

Nov 12, 2010
Samsung Galaxy S21
So your saying it does NOT matter what the D## is? You can still flash a ROM over the stock D18?

If I wanted to put 2.2 on my phone, all I have to do is literally make a backup, clear everything, and then flash like I did on the Hero?

And some of the kernals are optimized to save battery, yadda yadda yadda.. right?

I think I am getting it. :)

Sometimes it matters which rom you flash over, sometimes not - it all depends on how the new file is set up - it never matters what you start with if you're doing a FULL Odin flash (because of the full overwrite). For modems and kernels, you need to follow the directions provided with the file (Kernels are *usually* only compatible with certain roms, I believe that is always the case but I'm allowing room for exceptions - I only know so much :) )

Update.zip methods are generally much more particular because they're most often designed as an incremental upgrade - they basically only contain the files that changed from the previous version they're intended to flash over (which is why those files are so much smaller than the full .tar... zip compression isn't THAT good, lol)

Regardless, just make sure to read the instructions that come with the particular file you want to use. If they aren't in the download, then they will be in the thread where you found the dl link. If you can't find any instructions, don't use that file, find another one - I can guarantee there are plenty of threads with detailed instructions in this forum.

But the instructions you used for the Hero are essentially correct, you just need to make sure you have all the details straight... again, if you find a rom you want to try, read that thread thoroughly - most, if not all, of the questions you might come up with along the way have already been asked and answered in the thread pertaining to that rom (and many of us, myself included, have gotten pretty irritable about repeatedly seeing the same questions... so please read first, okay? Good...)

And as far as kernels, it sounds like you got the idea well enough ;)

D623

Jun 30, 2010
I am non rooted, upgraded to DK28, I want to flash back to DI18 stock.. can someone help me out.

styles420

Nov 12, 2010
Samsung Galaxy S21
I am non rooted, upgraded to DK28, I want to flash back to DI18 stock.. can someone help me out.

There is a thread in here that is a full guide to returning to stock, it may be on page two or three of this section at the moment... Basically, you're going to need Odin and the stock DI18 tar file (both linked to in the aforementioned guide thread), simply Odin that tar, then reroot if necessary. The guide thread has very thorough instructions, so I won't rewrite the entire guide here (if you can't find it, I'll see if I can send you the link when my computer is available - virus scans take forever on large hard drives... Gotta love Windows, right?)

Sent from my SPH-D700 using XDA App

JediWing

Sep 14, 2008
I have upgraded both my wife and my Epic's to DK28. I Odin'd my phone, my wife's was done through an update.zip. I haven't bothered to re-root either of them after the upgrade.

I discovered that both of our GPSs are no longer working today. I've read that flashing back to DI18 with the DK28 modem and acquiring a lock that way works to restore GPS, and I would like to try this. However, I don't want to go through all the hoops of re-setting up everything on the phones (i.e. losing e-mail setup, launcher setup, progress in games, etc.)

Is there a way that I can backup the exact image on the phones now and Odin that in after I've restored the GPS? Does it require root?

Any help is appreciated.

styles420

Nov 12, 2010
Samsung Galaxy S21
I have upgraded both my wife and my Epic's to DK28....

So far, it seems that trying to do this will just result in constant force close issues... The only thing that I have heard of that *might* work is to use Titanium Backup, but I haven't tried that method yet (after reflashing several times before the source of the force closes was identified to be from restoring my data, I got used to just redoing my settings)

Anyone care to weigh in on the Titanium Backup success ratio?

Sent from my SPH-D700 using XDA App

tony45x220

Oct 26, 2010
Chattanooga, TN
I'm going to try this one last time...

I'm still running Baked Snack 1.6...and I'm interested in trying out one of the Froyo versions...people are having waaayyy to many problems with ODIN...is can you upgrade to Froyo and work with the different ROM's out by just using Clockwork Mod Recovery the same way as the 2.1 Eclair updates (DI07 to DI18)?

Dj21o

Feb 22, 2010
That is my issue too. I do not want to go to 2.2 because of Odin, and my current set up has my battery lasting longer than any of the kernels that are on this thread. But I do not want to have the stock look. I have tried Ninjamorph on my current stock rom, but it doesn't work because its odex. Does anyone have a stock "look" 2.1 rom that is de-oxed? I just want to change simple things like the taskbar and the pulldown image.

Reactions: tony45x220

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Guys,
    Am rooted now with SG2 GT-I9100 OCS 4.0.4, now how to flash a ROM step by step, then Kernel, then Modem? I did Nandroid & Titanium Backup and I want want to add a best ROM for my device.
    Also can somebody tell me if I can install the paid app's for free like (Installous) in Iphone?
    Am new in Android WORLD and am feeling that jailbreak is much easy then Android!
    Let somebody to change this idea from my head.
    Appreciate your quick reply.

Please reply as step by step and dont use too many abbrebiations :)

First of all, you're in the wrong thread... you want the epic touch forum... second, xda doesn't and will never support pirating apps (getting paid apps for free) kindly take that question to another site... there is no best rom anybody can recommend because every rom runs on every device differently because no 2 people use their phones exactly the same way... I know that wasn't much help, but that's about all you're gonna get over here... try asking in the epic touch forum, but leave out the part about getting paid apps for free....
    It's called easysmart.apk or go to settings>wireless and networks>mobile networks>automatic connections and turn it off.

Sent from my PantechP4100 using xda premium
    I am running through the directions here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=798067

All the steps up to 2.3.2 went perfectly. Got drivers, got sdk, jdk, adb, ran the
    one.click.root.exploitv2.5.5 run.bat

When I got to step 2.3.2, specifically the part where you open the adb shell and remount rw, the mount errored out. I would provide you all the exact error but I can't, see below.

I thought I could just skip down to koush's method. So I d/l'ed the clockworkmodkernal zip, plopped it into / on the SD and did the volume+camera+power reboot.

Since I had already finished step 2.3.1, I ended up in Clockwork and saved a backup. Then I installed the zip and rebooted.

I was expecting to go to the market to get the ROM manager, instead I got the Android system recovery <2e> (blue menu).

No problem, I thought I'll just boot into clockwork and restore my back up.

So I did that and it looked like it worked, it says restore complete, except it said that it was skipping the restore of /sd-ext/.

So then I went to "reboot system now" and I ended up in the Android system recovery.

Now whenever I boot I end up in the Android system recovery unless I do the v+c+p reboot, which gets me to the clockwork menu.

What should I do now? please help.

ROM manager is the first problem. It is not compatible with the Epic. When you boot into Clockwork are the letters green? If so then you have gotten clockwork 2.5.x on your system so you can try to flash an RFS ROM like:
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1027904

If that doesn't work then you will have to Odin back to stock and start again like here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1052813
    I attempted to use the One Click Root from this thread

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=770388

Ran the ADB script, it said it finished, I rebooted my phone because nothing happened with it after it said it was done.

Now my phone doesn't boot, stays on the white SAMSUNG logo screen when it first boots and never changes.

Can't get into recovery either.

Only thing I can get into now is the Download screen.

I've attempted to flash back to stock using the SWUpgrade tool I found on SDX and the download fails.

I'm running EC05 and I'm not new at rooting but I'm new to rooting the Epic, I've rooted my EVO and Moment, never had this much trouble before :(

I can't boot into recovery to flash anything that way right now and I'm not sure why

I attempted to flash the EB13 stock using SWUpdate and the download fails every time as well.

You will need a computer and have to Odin your phone back to stock. Instructions are here:
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1052813
    So what did I do wrong? Or what should I do differently so it works when I try again?

And by try it again I mean fully rooting the phone and slapping a sexy rom and a lean kernel on it.

You might need a new data cable based on the Odin difficulties but since you already got Odin to work, find and download your sexy new EXT4 compatible ROM, then Odin in this EB13 prerooted EXT4 tar, then boot into Clockwork 3.0.0.6 with 3 finger (NO ROM Manager), it will convert you to EXT4 file system, then before rebooting flash the sexy ROM you downloaded. Here is the link to EB13 tar, get the 2nd one listed.
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=853209