[Q] I got semi-scammed on swappah, can I have some peoples opinions on what to do?

Search This thread

EeyoreSyndrome

May 29, 2012
I purchased a used "unlocked" HTC One M8 (T-Mobile) on swappah and received it May 18th 2014. As of Aug 12th 2014 however, I lost my T-Mobile connectivity (tho thankfully I am on prepaid anyway) ; the ESN is now blocked and on T-Mobiles blacklist for non-payment of its EIP. It is still however still clear on the global white list, I even tried a friends AT&T SIM and it worked.

Anyway I will paste the current swappah comments here:

EeyoreSyndrome @XDA - Aug. 17, 2014 7:02 p.m. United States (US)
As of 8/12/2014 I no longer was able to pull a signal from T-mobile on this phone. I had assumed it was because of intermittent connectivity as they are upgrading in my home and work area.

However, after seeing co-workers also on T-mobile, no longer having any issues, I decided to contact T-mobile for assistance. After troubleshooting they had found there is no problem on my end, but suggested I take it into a store to get a new SIM card just in case. (This was via online chat)

I finally got into a store today, 8/17/2014 and they swapped my SIM no problem, however still the same issue, limited signal. After doing a fresh ESN check, the manager said my phone has been blocked, most likely do to non-payment of an EIP from the seller. Tho I have to wonder why the online chat person did not think of doing this......

So now, I am posting this, asking what my next step to be taken is. I did do an IMEI check before I bought the phone and it was white listed and had no issues on T-mobiles end. I just did a fresh one myself, and sure enough, T-mobile has blacklisted it.

Swappa Staff person- Aug. 17, 2014 7:15 p.m. United States (US)
Sorry to hear of the complaints. We can confirm the phone now shows blocked "likely due to non-payment". Swappa is aware of the issue and requires a response from the seller.

The probably scammer - Seller - Aug. 18, 2014 2:25 a.m.
Hi EeyoreSyndrome@XDA. Thank you for bringing this to my attention and I do apologize that you are experiencing this issue. I am currently working with T-Mobile to resolve this and will hear back from them within 48 hours. If T-Mobile cannot help resolve this issue, I will refund you the money no questions asked. Again I apologize for the inconvenience this is causing you. I will update you as soon as I hear back from them.

EeyoreSyndrome @XDA - Aug. 19, 2014 10:14 p.m. United States (US)
Hello Aaron, just wondering if there has been any progress. Thanks.

The probably scammer - Seller - Aug. 20, 2014 1:48 a.m.
Hi EeyoreSyndrome @XDA. No update from T-Mobile yet but if I don't hear back from them by tomorrow night, I'll give you a full refund. Don't want to keep you waiting too long without a phone. Thanks again for your patience.

EeyoreSyndrome @XDA - Aug. 21, 2014 12:57 p.m. United States (US)
Good morning, still no go for any T-Mobile signal. As for a refund how do we go about that? Do I have to request one from PayPal?

The probably scammer - Seller - Aug. 21, 2014 1:32 p.m.
Good afternoon. Still no reply from T-Mobile. No need to request it from Paypal. I'll just issue you a refund from the original Paypal payment. Would you be okay if I issued you the refund when I receive the phone? Just want to make sure that it comes back to me in the same condition I shipped it to you.

Swappa Staff person - Aug. 21, 2014 1:38 p.m. United States (US)
Sorry to hear this isn't going to work out.

For returns, the seller should provide instructions / address and the device should be shipped back with tracking and proper insurance. The refund should be processed promptly when the device is received.

The buyer should provide the ESN / IMEI / MEID of the device they are returning on this page before shipping back.

PayPal, who provides the payment protections, recommends the buyer file a dispute before sending back.

Let us know when the device is on the way back and we will cancel out the sale and refund the sale fee.

I am now unsure of what to do. I technically no longer have trust with this buyer. I even checked his history on swappah and it is really fishy that he has sold two other HTC One M8s as well.......secondly: T-Mobile to my knowledge only unlocks phones if their EIP is completely paid off and the person has been in good account standing/used the phone for at least 45 days?? -At the very least I've confirmed that it is indeed unlocked.

There seems to be many other people that have gotten burned this way, either it being from E-bay, Craigslist or even Swappah with T-mobile used phones, as currently they are not allowed to tell people if a phone is on a EIP or not, which to me is retarded, they should fix this policy.

As you can see, both swappah and the seller want me to return the phone before I get a refund....but what's to stop the seller from simply not giving me a refund? The purchase was defiantly more then 45 days ago......so technically I do not see what good issuing a paypal dispute past that time frame would do, or if it is even possible.

Should I tell the seller I want a refund before I give him a tracking # / ship it back? Or go 50% up front then the other 50% after?

Should I simply call my CC company and ask for a fraud-charge-back? Tho I think it is now past their 90 day protection window as well.....funny how scammers do that hmm?

Or should I simply put the phone onto straight talk / AT&T and either A) transfer my T-mobile prepaid # to it and be stuck on that (I really like the $30 5G data / unlim messages 100 min T-mobile plan) or B) try reselling it on craigslist / swappah boneyard as T-Mobile bad ESN (But still works on ATT/Straight Talk) ?

Thanks for any advice or consolation for my issue here ; ;

Attachments

• esn.jpg
    esn.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 77
Last edited:

EeyoreSyndrome

May 29, 2012
And while I am at it, would it be a good idea to flash a stock AT&T Rom and update the OTA in order to get the ATT radios/firmware? From what I've read both M8s have identical hardware.....so in theory to maxamize their potention it'd be a good idea to use the correct rom for each carrier w/their sim service correct?

D

Darth

A rough situation for sure. Personally, I'd return it to him, however you need to do it. There's a good chance if you keep it, the blacklist likely will eventually make it to all North American carriers, and you'll be out of luck. I wouldn't take that chance myself. I'd rather take the chance of sending it to him.

That's just my opinion. ;)

EeyoreSyndrome

May 29, 2012
yes thank you for getting back to me!

I did decide to go through and mail it back to the seller.

In fact he compromised with me, and even has refunded 50% upfront (got it just mins ago in my paypal!) and the other half when he receives it.

D

Darth

yes thank you for getting back to me!

I did decide to go through and mail it back to the seller.

In fact he compromised with me, and even has refunded 50% upfront (got it just mins ago in my paypal!) and the other half when he receives it.

Sounds like he is being pretty honest then. Awesome!