[ATTN][DEV] VillainROM and Partners Presents VillainTheme System 0.3.5 [THEMERS ONLY]

Search This thread

scar45

Inactive Recognized Themer
Aug 17, 2006
Everything has been working with just replacing .PNGs for me, but I cannot get the VillainTheme engine to successfully apply .XML edits. I recompiled my XML changes and then extracted the compiled .xml files, and put them in the VillainTheme .zip.

Still refuses to install with Error 0 :confused: Anyone have any ideas? I notice there hasn't been a newer version of the VillainTheme engine in a while, but it has such great potential!

*EDIT* - After looking into this more, it appears to me that the VillainTheme system has trouble modding the 'drawable' directory. There are often XMLs in this directory, and that could be the cause for my problem above, but I also noticed that even .PNGs in the SystemUI.apk\res\drawable folder do not get replaced or applied.

It would be perfect if it could do this! I had a peek through 'installtheme.sh', but it appears to recursively mod each folder in the .zip...very odd that it seems to skip 'drawable'.

Last edited:

mrevankyle

Jan 5, 2011
Victoria, BC
Hi im trying to make my first theme but when it tries to installi get
Installing:/Sdcard/VTRThemeSonyTablesSTF101v0.3.6.zip​
Finding update package...
Opening update package...
E:Can't open /sdcard/VTRThemeSonyTablesSTF101v0.3.6.zip
(bad)
Install aborted.
Edit: nevermind unzipped and rezipped it now it works

Last edited:

mattmanwrx

Aug 15, 2010
London
www.mattman.org
Everything has been working with just replacing .PNGs for me, but I cannot get the VillainTheme engine to successfully apply .XML edits. I recompiled my XML changes and then extracted the compiled .xml files, and put them in the VillainTheme .zip.

Still refuses to install with Error 0 :confused: Anyone have any ideas? I notice there hasn't been a newer version of the VillainTheme engine in a while, but it has such great potential!

*EDIT* - After looking into this more, it appears to me that the VillainTheme system has trouble modding the 'drawable' directory. There are often XMLs in this directory, and that could be the cause for my problem above, but I also noticed that even .PNGs in the SystemUI.apk\res\drawable folder do not get replaced or applied.

It would be perfect if it could do this! I had a peek through 'installtheme.sh', but it appears to recursively mod each folder in the .zip...very odd that it seems to skip 'drawable'.

Hi, have you managed to get any .xml's within the drawable folder changed, or does the VRTheme not do it?

Also, can this add images? Or just replace them?

Thanks,
Matt

scar45

Inactive Recognized Themer
Aug 17, 2006
Hi, have you managed to get any .xml's within the drawable folder changed, or does the VRTheme not do it?

Also, can this add images? Or just replace them?

Hey Matt, to be honest with you, I haven't had a play with this in a long while. It's funny however, because I came back to check this thread since I am working on a version of my theme for the Galaxy Nexus, and would have loved to use something like this.

I don't have time to (re)test right now, but I don't believe I could get any XMLs to be changed last time I tried. I also can't tell you if it could add new images rather than just replacing, but even if you could add new ones, you would probably have to edit XMLs to have Android actually apply them.

Just my 2cents, but hopefully the Villain devs of this theming tool can pick up where they left off. It still has great potential!

Reactions: mattmanwrx

mattmanwrx

Aug 15, 2010
London
www.mattman.org
Hey Matt, to be honest with you, I haven't had a play with this in a long while. It's funny however, because I came back to check this thread since I am working on a version of my theme for the Galaxy Nexus, and would have loved to use something like this.

I don't have time to (re)test right now, but I don't believe I could get any XMLs to be changed last time I tried. I also can't tell you if it could add new images rather than just replacing, but even if you could add new ones, you would probably have to edit XMLs to have Android actually apply them.

Just my 2cents, but hopefully the Villain devs of this theming tool can pick up where they left off. It still has great potential!

Thanks for your response...
With the recent Asus updated to ICS, I wanted to make a battery mod for the Revolver rom I'm using (I need a battery mod :) ), but the SystemUI.apk isnt compiling (and i'm even getting .9 patch errors when decompiling)...
I thought I could use this, but it didnt work.. Well, it did change the xml's, and added the images, but didnt actually change the images (the battery either wasnt there, or was subsituted with another random image in systemui). Looking in root explorer, the systemui actually has 2 res folders, and in both there are 2 drawable and drawable-mdpi folders (so 2 in each totaling 4). Very strange, I think I will need to sit this one out and let either Asus release another update, or let the real devs/themers look at it! :)
Thanks for your response though! If I do fix this or come out with a solution, i'll let the thread know :)

luna_c666

Dec 30, 2011
I found that in rogue recovery lately I've been having to format and mount my staging partition to get the status 0 to go away..perhaps it is because I JUST added images to my drawable folder, but that doesn't seem like it would be at fault by itself..??

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    VillainTheme System 0.3.5 for the TF101

http://www.villainrom.co.uk/forum/showthread.php/4971-About-VillainTheme-System

OK, so I think it's time to explain what this is about. It's born from the idea that came about on IRC, for a way to make a theme once for a ROM, rather than have to adjust it for each incremental update for a given ROM or ROMs.

As a user, you don't need to know much - just flash this zip like a regular zip, and you'll get your theme running. But you should be able to apply themes to any device, ROM, and version of the ROM, without it causing adverse effects. That means less time spent by themers making the original theme, and less time spent modifying it constantly for new versions of ROMs.

As a themer? Well, here is the information:

• Inside the zip, in the vrtheme folder, you can create a folder called "system" and "data". The former is required, the latter is not required unless you wanted to theme a data app (strongly not recommended, unless you know the app will be there on every phone)
    • Inside the system or data folder, create a subfolder "app", and in these, make subfolders named EXACTLY after the APK name. For example, to theme the Browser, you need a folder called "Browser.apk". It must be correctly capitalised.
    • Within there, place the files you require for your theme, in the relevant locations. So most PNGs will be in res/drawable-hdpi/. You can put in xml files too (those which are not in resources.arsc), if you compile them via apktool, and extract them with a zip tool.
    • In the vrtheme folder, as well as system and data folder, one called "raw" can exist. Within here, you can place files to be copied verbatim to the ROM (for example, modified JAR files). Note that using this may make the theme device dependent (read WILL make it device dependent)
    • And that's about it. :)

Features
    • Will modify APKs in a ROM, without changing signatures, and can be used on any ROM where the filenames of themed files is the same.
    • Should not need updated between versions of a ROM
    • Zipaligns all APKs before installation
    • Stores a backup of all files being modified in /cache/vrtheme-backup/
    • Requires no coding abilities or editing of files - just drag and drop :)
    • Can copy "raw" files, though at risk of not working on other devices (well, let's face it, it won't work on likely a slightly different ROM, so this feature is not recommended or encouraged)

Credits

Doctorcete for the original idea in a discussion on IRC
    Stericson for the original idea of metamorph. While totally different, it's a shared goal to separate themes from ROMs
    Matt from the Metamorph team, for the zip binary compiled for Android
    Seshy, for testing

EULA

Nothing evil or complicated - just a few little things. You should not charge for access to this code. That includes a zip containing this, or a derivative of it. So please don't sell themes using it. That's not particularly cool. If you want to use it commercially for some reason, get in touch with us.

If you spot a bug or error, and find a fix, please reply in this thread and let us know, or post the changes you made. If you're going to distribute the changed version, it is expected that you share the change made by contacting us, or posting it here.

Finally, don't be a douche - don't rip this off or call it your own, and leave all headers and comments identifying the origin of the code in place. Don't rename this to match your ROM or "team" name - it's not cool, and it's not yours to go and adjust. I chose to make this a readable "plain" script, but can easily obfuscate and encrypt it if you want to be a douche.

Copyright VillainROM (2011). All rights reserved

Now this project was created around the SGS2, and as such it did not work on the TF101 at first, however me and Pulser have spent the day looking for solutions and finally got it working for the TF101.

IMPORTANT: DO NOT USE THE SGS2 TEMPLATE FROM THE VILLAINROM WEBSITE.

Download:

0.3.6 experimental
    Clean template without theme included: http://www.mediafire.com/?5bs9srz88i4wdq4

Asus Eee Pad TF101 VRTheme template: http://www.mediafire.com/?5gyr1g0xgd05t70
    Note: for now the template is my windows phone 7 theme since it shows you where everything goes really well

If you find any issues or bugs PM me with as much info as you can and if possible a recovery log (found in /cache/recovery/) so I can try and find a solution to your problem.
    Changelog

• Fixed ASCII art in updater script.
    • Minor clean up of installtheme.sh
    • Added preview.png to template.

• Modified installtheme.sh as it was giving possible problems.

• Fixed a problem with raw folder copying. Put contents of /raw in /system now on the root of the .zip
    • Fixed some status 0 errors.

Currently known bugs:

You may have issues trying to flash framework files and app files in the same .zip (code 0 error).
    Temporary solution: Flash the framework folder and the app folder in seperate .zip files.
    For any themers who want a better example of how it works, I just updated my own theme to use this method:

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1120525
    hello,
    is that you can see screen pls ?
    And this theme is compatible with any rom ?
    Anyone getting status 6, try this new updated template: http://www.mediafire.com/?5bs9srz88i4wdq4