LG G3 sunlight legibility test

Search This thread

Lennyuk

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jan 26, 2010
Suffolk, England
Here is a look at the G3 sunlight legibility. What do you think? Looks like the samoled screens will be king in
outdoor light for a long time yet...

Its never that easy to tell what it is really like from these videos as the screen reflects of the camera lens, maybe if there was a side by side it will show more.

It can't be any worse than most of the phones (flagship or not) currently on the market.

Dan1909

Oct 15, 2010
Two websites I never trust to do an accurate review of anything, even a shoe...

I've always put GSMArena up there as one of the better ones.

More quantitative testing and actual numbers, rather than just opinions and hands on style testing. What do you find poor about their reviews?

Hendrickson

Aug 24, 2008
Denia, Spain
www.youtube.com
Yes its disappointing. It also comes out a worse in the video. However its defiantly not one of the better ones in sunlight. Well below the 925, Note 2,3 or S4 and s5. Lucky for me its not a deal breaker. I will still keep the g3.

Lennyuk

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jan 26, 2010
Suffolk, England
I've always put GSMArena up there as one of the better ones.

More quantitative testing and actual numbers, rather than just opinions and hands on style testing. What do you find poor about their reviews?

when they are working purely from facts they do well - e.g. their battery level reviews but whenever they introduce elements that should be slightly opinionated i.e. how colours on the screen look or how a device feels in the hand I feel that they never match up to what I think of the device. Not sure why exactly, but I personally just find that I do not agree with a lot of what they say, historically anyway - maybe this time they are correct, only time will tell.

A decent review requires opinions - you can't just lay out figures and expect it to accurately reflect the device.

Semantics

Nov 30, 2009
Its worse. Read phone arena and gsm arenas reviews quite disappointed

MOTO X

Yet Phone Arena scored it 9.2 > S5 9.1 > M8 8.8, go figure.

---------- Post added at 05:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:17 PM ----------

Yes its disappointing. It also comes out a worse in the video. However its defiantly not one of the better ones in sunlight. Well below the 925, Note 2,3 or S4 and s5. Lucky for me its not a deal breaker. I will still keep the g3.

Not a deal breaker for me. If I'm out in the sunlight, I'm doing things a lot more interesting than staring at my phone screen. It could be the worst phone in the world in sunlight, but as long as I can answer the phone or send a text, I couldn't care less about watching video or whatever.

wase4711

May 9, 2010
Outside of Phoenix, AZ
this is just another example of why you should NEVER buy or not buy anything based on reviews you read or view, but only base your decision on what YOU see with your OWN TWO EYES..

all this stuff is fine to keep you interested and amused until this phone actually comes out, but I would take all of these reviews on view-ability, battery life, benchmarks, and every thing else with a grain of salt until you can actually try these phones out on your own..

20degrees

Oct 11, 2012
You're holding the g3 at stupid angles. Hold the phone like it would normally be held..

Am I the only one who noticed this?

jamezr

Jul 26, 2010
USA

MOTO X
But the people on this forum that actually have the G3 says it is like any other phone when it comes to daylight and reading emails and texts.....

---------- Post added at 01:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:16 PM ----------

this is just another example of why you should NEVER buy or not buy anything based on reviews you read or view, but only base your decision on what YOU see with your OWN TWO EYES..

all this stuff is fine to keep you interested and amused until this phone actually comes out, but I would take all of these reviews on view-ability, battery life, benchmarks, and every thing else with a grain of salt until you can actually try these phones out on your own..
EXACTLY! Then there are people right here on this forum that say the G3 is fine in daylight ready emails and texts. It amazes me how people can read someone else's opinion and make up their mind without ever touching the phone.

Reactions: xgman and wase4711

mjjferreira

Dec 18, 2006
Oeiras
Here is a look at the G3 sunlight legibility. What do you think? Looks like the samoled screens will be king in

Is that the screen protector that cames with LG G3 out of the box?

Have you noticed how it turns the black into dark grey(bad transferency ratio)? My LG G Pad 8.3 has that same screen protector, but has i only use the G Pad indoors, it's perfectly fine.

Buy a Spiegen screen protector or do the test without that one.

But i agree that in DIRECT sunlight, this is the worst performer out of all flagships, but you can still see what's going on in phone!

Krusej23

Dec 19, 2012
You're holding the g3 at stupid angles. Hold the phone like it would normally be held..

Am I the only one who noticed this?

Completely agree. When you out the phone like that at an angle away from the camera, it's going to look worse. Hold the screen so it's flat to the camera, not at an angle.

Zamboney

Feb 20, 2012
seems like a review done by Samsung shills. It's well known the g3 view angles are wise than samoled so do the review from the front as one actually uses the phone! Retarded.

Sent from my FT-N7000 using Tapatalk 2

mikeythedude

May 14, 2012
Other than that the samoleds will have cooler color tones, legibility is decent for me, but I have only been using the phone for a day or so... maybe my opinion might change after some more use... but for now, I'm loving it :D

wargreymon89

Sep 11, 2012
lg-ambassadoren.tk

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

MOTO X

Yet Phone Arena scored it 9.2 > S5 9.1 > M8 8.8, go figure.

---------- Post added at 05:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:17 PM ----------

Not a deal breaker for me. If I'm out in the sunlight, I'm doing things a lot more interesting than staring at my phone screen. It could be the worst phone in the world in sunlight, but as long as I can answer the phone or send a text, I couldn't care less about watching video or whatever.

I've had a few good days of sun lately, and haven't had any issues with the display appearing too dim (auto mode with brightness set to 66-67%).

If anything I still am amazed at the sharpness. With 1080p screens from 4.7-5 inches, I was able to resolve all the pixels (*I'm near-sighted*). The 536 ppi (even with my uber near-sightedness) is past the limit of my ability to resolve pixels on a screen.

Back to the topic at hand though, I'm rocking the Spigen GLAS.tR as a screen protector and with my brightness set to auto, I haven't had issues with viewing the phone at any time of day (I probably look at my phone for a total of an hour or so a day on average).

Hope this helps :)
    I have the phone in my hands, and I would like to say that the screen is MUCH better than AMOLED and this video
    Why?
    Because on a video you can't see the real power of the screen on day light. The recording camera doesn't know what is filming, always reflect light.
    I still have my Galaxy S4 and I can compare and I can tell :)

Thank you
    You cant claim samoled will be king in sunlight readability based on one lcd screen. My lg g2 is much brighter than my note 3.

Sent from my LG-D801 using Tapatalk

I had both and the note 3 was noticeably better outdoor.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk