After OTA phone only goes to fastboot

Search This thread

MadderThanMad

Dec 12, 2010
Hello XDAers,

Last night my brother's unrooted Droid X received the newest OTA Update and restarted. After the restart his phone wouldn't boot to android. Instead his phone goes to the fast boot screen (Bootloader 30.04 Battery OK, Connect USB Data Cable). There is also an error: A5,70,00,00,23.

Does anyone know how I can fix this issue under Windows 7?

MadderThanMad

Dec 12, 2010
Update

Did some more poking around online and it looks like this is a common issue caused by an unsuccessful update corrupting the bootloader. Knowing this, I headed down to the local Verizon store. Waited about 25 minutes for service then explained to the clerk that the OTA broke my phone. She tries the usual factory restore/wipe data and it fails to fix the problem. After this she seems like she'll replace the phone but then removes the back case and notices the water damage sticker has been triggered-- it briefly fell into shallow puddle a year ago-- and promptly tells me I'm **** out of luck.

Do I have any recourse here? Obviously, it was the OTA that bricked the phone and not water damage from a year ago. Can anyone lend me some advice on what steps I can take to get a working replacement from the big red?

Thanks a lot

infazzdar

Dec 20, 2010
Did some more poking around online and it looks like this is a common issue caused by an unsuccessful update corrupting the bootloader. Knowing this, I headed down to the local Verizon store. Waited about 25 minutes for service then explained to the clerk that the OTA broke my phone. She tries the usual factory restore/wipe data and it fails to fix the problem. After this she seems like she'll replace the phone but then removes the back case and notices the water damage sticker has been triggered-- it briefly fell into shallow puddle a year ago-- and promptly tells me I'm **** out of luck.

Do I have any recourse here? Obviously, it was the OTA that bricked the phone and not water damage from a year ago. Can anyone lend me some advice on what steps I can take to get a working replacement from the big red?

Thanks a lot

You might have luck calling Verizon instead of visiting a store. Other than that, a lawsuit against Motorola would do.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

MadderThanMad

Dec 12, 2010
Called Verizon and they basically told me that the update was at fault but once I mentioned the water damage they said it was the water damage and not the update. Next step, we are taking them to
small claims court.

sent from droid 3

infazzdar

Dec 20, 2010
Called Verizon and they basically told me that the update was at fault but once I mentioned the water damage they said it was the water damage and not the update. Next step, we are taking them to
small claims court.

sent from droid 3

Geez, as terrible as it is, you shouldn't have told them about the water damage. Often times they will do a lot more when you contact them via phone than when you visit the store.

You can use the newly released .621 SBF file to fix your phone, though.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk

Sleuth255

Retired Senior Moderator
Mar 3, 2006
Milwaukee
blog.kwilcox.org
for Windows, you need to do the following:
  • install the moto USB drivers available here
  • install rsdlite available here
  • obtain the .621 SBF from here

uncompress the sbf file from the archive, then place your DX in bootloader mode by holding down camera/volume down then pressing the power button. Connect it to your pc with a USB cable then let the moto driver install. Once the driver has installed, run rsdlite and show it where the sbf file is. Then, do the install and your DX should be good to go again.