[MOD] 4.3 Tether Unlock MJ7 & MK2 + enable all toggles (1/20/14)

Search This thread

musthunt

Apr 5, 2007
Millican
Verizon Galaxy S4 VRUEMJ7 Tether unlock

Unlocks WifiHotspot, USB Tether, and Bluetooth
Developed by Surge1223
11/02/2013

Please read the instructions; accidents while flashing framework-res.apk can and do happen and those mistakes lead to having to use full Odin restore tars. I almost made open1your1eyes0 brick had he not caught my mistake in the code. Luckily he was nice enough to test again, luckily that one worked

Instructions:

1. Extract MJ7_tether_unlock.zip and move the MJ7_tether_unlock folder to the root
of your micro sdcard so the structure looks like this: /mnt/extSdCard/MJ7_tether_unlock/

2. Download terminal emulator then type the following in terminal:

Code:
su
cd /mnt/extSdCard/MJ7_tether_unlock/
sh tether.sh
3. After that your phone should reboot, and tethering should be unlocked! Also a copy of your original framework-res.apk
can be found in the following directory /mnt/extSdCard/MJ7_tether_unlock/orig-framework-res.apk

4. To restore back to your original framework-res.apk, (i.e, relock tethering) then type the following in terminal:

Code:
su
sh untether.sh

Downloads

Download the zip here

Devs, I've included just the framework-res.apk w/ just the mod here so you can customize it more as needed for your roms.

The Mod itself:

This is from the original arrays.xml

Code:
</integer-array>
    <string-array name="config_tether_usb_regexs">
        <item>usb\\d</item>
        <item>rndis\\d</item>
    </string-array>
    <string-array name="config_tether_wifi_regexs">
        <item>wlan0</item>
    </string-array>
    <array name="config_tether_wimax_regexs" />
    <string-array name="config_tether_bluetooth_regexs">
        <item>bt-pan</item>
    </string-array>
    <array name="config_tether_dhcp_range" />
   [COLOR=Red] [COLOR=Black]<[/COLOR]string[COLOR=Black]-array[/COLOR][/COLOR] name="config_mobile_hotspot_provision_app"[COLOR=Red]>[/COLOR]
        [COLOR=Red]<item>com.samsung.spg</item>[/COLOR]
     [COLOR=Red]   <item>com.samsung.spg.NewSPGActivity</item>[/COLOR]
    [COLOR=Red]</string-array[COLOR=Black]>[/COLOR][/COLOR]
    <integer-array name="config_tether_upstream_types">
        <item>0</item>
        <item>1</item>
        <item>5</item>
    </integer-array>
This is the modified arrays.xml

Code:
</integer-array>
    <string-array name="config_tether_usb_regexs">
        <item>usb\\d</item>
        <item>rndis\\d</item>
    </string-array>
    <string-array name="config_tether_wifi_regexs">
        <item>wlan0</item>
    </string-array>
    <array name="config_tether_wimax_regexs" />
    <string-array name="config_tether_bluetooth_regexs">
        <item>bt-pan</item>
    </string-array>
    <array name="config_tether_dhcp_range" />
    <array name="config_mobile_hotspot_provision_app" />
    <integer-array name="config_tether_upstream_types">
        <item>0</item>
        <item>1</item>
        <item>5</item>
       [COLOR=Lime] <item>7</item>[/COLOR]
    </integer-array>

I see people complain about not having the Wifi or WifiHotspot toggles working depending on the rom they are on. The solution doesn't require SQLite Editor. You can solve this problem by appending the below to your /system/csc/feature.xml under <!-- Settings --> header by changing system to r/w while editing then edit the feature.xml file under /system/csc, make sure its permissions are rw-r--r--. Following your next
reboot/hot reboot/restarted systemui, pull down the toggle bar, click the settings button and it should allow you to choose to add any that weren't available previously. This worked on 4.2.2 Touchwiz roms, but if you are on 4.3 and already have the toggles then ignore this.
Code:
[SIZE=3]<CscFeature_Setting_DefQuickPanelOrder>Wifi;Bluetooth;Location;AirplaneMode;WiFiHotspot;SmartStay;AutoRotate;MobileData;SilentMode;PowerSaving;MultiWindow;AirGesture;AllShareCast;SBeam;Nfc;AirView;Sync;SmartScroll;DrivingMode;DormantMode;BlockMode</CscFeature_Setting_DefQuickPanelOrder>[/SIZE]

Give credit to @
open1your1eyes0 for testing the second build after I screwed up the first just his input on the shell script and mod in general. Thanks internet, specifically this page.

Sorry, doesn't work for me.
I downloaded the zip file yesterday and extracted to root of SD card, entered commands in terminal and it shows running exploit.
When I try to turn on tethering I get the verizon pop up and there's no backup of the framework.

Jsyme222

Jul 31, 2011
Boise
They might try to deny warranty if anything happens.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Is there any method to reset Knox? I have deleted as many Knox related applications that I could find from my device, is it still going to show up as 0x1? Would it still be triggered after after a flash of Verizon firmware?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using xda premium

---------- Post added at 12:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:08 PM ----------

How would you know if it has been triggered?

Jsyme222

Jul 31, 2011
Boise
Some suspect it being a flag set in a flash memory somewhere. Currently no way to clear once set. It will show up if booted into download mode.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

So if I boot into download mode what would I look for to see if it has been triggered?

Surge1223

Recognized Contributor
Nov 6, 2012
Florida
Google Pixel 6 Pro
I downloaded the zip file yesterday and extracted to root of SD card, entered commands in terminal and it shows running exploit.
When I try to turn on tethering I get the verizon pop up and there's no backup of the framework.

Are you on MJ7? So far you are the only person it hasn’t worked for, does your device reboot after you run the commands in terminal? Also this requires root, and if you are on MJ7, are rooted, and made sure that this "/mnt/extSdCard/MJ7_tether_unlock/" path exists with the three files inside, then can you make a copy of "/system/framework/framework-res.apk" and then upload it so I can see which one it is (if its the original or tether unlock framework-res.apk) When i wrote the script I wrote it so it would make "/mnt/extSdCard/MJ7_tether_unlock/" exist if it wasnt there, if the MJ7_tether_unlock folder is empty, then find where you extracted the zip at, it should contain three files listed below, and then move them to the path I specified above and re-run the tether script

1. MJ7framework-res.apk
2. tether.sh
3. untether.sh

Last edited:

quarky42

Sep 30, 2008
Does not work for me and softbricked my phone.

The phone is just sitting at the Verizon logo with white background doing nothing except the little tiny bit of animation that it has.

I'm on MJ7 and rooted. I extracted folder. Copied to external SD card. Ran the script. Phone rebooted.

I tried booting to stock recovery and cleared cache. Still gets stuck at the white screen.

Not cool.

Edit: I'm downloading the non-wiping version of Odin Flashable Image for VRUEMJ7. I'll try flashing that.

My system isn't modified. The only exception to that statement is I have some apps frozen, but nothing major...just bloatware.

Edit2: I was able to restore via Odin. I looked at the script and it seemed simple enough to me. I don't see why it should have softbricked my phone. Now, to see if I can get root back. I sure hope Voodo OTA works... Of course not...I should have known better. Damn it, now I lost root.

Last edited:

lawtalking

Sep 21, 2010

Did not work for me at first. I then downloaded on my computer, extracted the files into a folder that was named MJ7_tether_unlock then moved it to my sd card and it worked.

vtx67

Jul 23, 2010
Notification Toggle

Are there any options to get the notification toggle working with this?

edjanx

Nov 5, 2008
Scranton
For people who don't want to root

Use FoxFi

So you are confirming FoxFi still works on MJ7? If so, that's good info!

I was curious if FoxFi would work as an option when I lost the Power Toggles workaround after attaining rooted 4.3 MJ7. But after rooted, I used Surge1223's fantastic method to attain not only stock WiFi tethering again, but also Bluetooth, and what I really missed using at work on my personal PC, USB Tethering! I'm sure these stock methods are tweaked for the best battery utilization, so I'm a very happy camper.

BTW, per the Notification Toggle question, FWIW, My Power Toggles now also turns on WiFI Tethering successfully after first loosing that capability after attaining root and before applying Surge1223's method. It's also refreshing to no longer have to exit out of the Verizon Warning screen when using Power Tools on the ME7 and MI1 releases.

portscan

Sep 1, 2013
Clarksville, TN
So you are confirming FoxFi still works on MJ7? If so, that's good info!

I was curious if FoxFi would work as an option when I lost the Power Toggles workaround after attaining rooted 4.3 MJ7. But after rooted, I used Surge1223's fantastic method to attain not only stock WiFi tethering again, but also Bluetooth, and what I really missed using at work on my personal PC, USB Tethering! I'm sure these stock methods are tweaked for the best battery utilization, so I'm a very happy camper.

BTW, per the Notification Toggle question, FWIW, My Power Toggles now also turns on WiFI Tethering successfully after first loosing that capability after attaining root and before applying Surge1223's method. It's also refreshing to no longer have to exit out of the Verizon Warning screen when using Power Tools on the ME7 and MI1 releases.

I can confirm FoxFi works on MJ7.

---------- Post added at 08:06 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:04 AM ----------

does it not already show?

Edit: Oh the toggle..ill look into it

Sent from my DROID RAZR using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Surge, will this work if you have Wanam Xposed framework installed? I got my phone looking pretty sweet with Wanam and I wouldn't want it to replace the framework and lose all my goodness. I have FoxFi if it won't work, but I always liked having the toggle on MI1.

Surge1223

Recognized Contributor
Nov 6, 2012
Florida
Google Pixel 6 Pro
Adding the Hotspot Toggle on MJ7 using SqlLite editor is working.

Link:
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2302366&highlight=sqlite+editor

I can confirm FoxFi works on MJ7.

---------- Post added at 08:06 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:04 AM ----------

Surge, will this work if you have Wanam Xposed framework installed? I got my phone looking pretty sweet with Wanam and I wouldn't want it to replace the framework and lose all my goodness. I have FoxFi if it won't work, but I always liked having the toggle on MI1.

No idea about Wanam Xposed, I don't have an S4 to test with currently. But as far as the toggle, these are all the ones available on MJ7

Code:
AirGesture
AirplaneMode
AirView
AllShareCast
AutoRotate
Bluetooth
Brightness
DoNotDisturb
DormantMode
DrivingMode
Ebook
MultiWindow
Nfc
PersonalMode
PowerSaving
SBeam
SilentMode
SmartNetwork
SmartPause
SmartScroll
SmartStay
Sync
ToddlerMode
WiFiHotspot
Wifi
If you want to add the toggles via csc then edit feature.xml

Code:
<CscFeature_Setting_DefQuickPanelOrder>AirGesture;AirplaneMode;AirView;AllShareCast;AutoRotate;Bluetooth;Brightness;DoNotDisturb;DormantMode;DrivingMode;Ebook;Location;MobileData;MultiWindow;Nfc;PersonalMode;PowerSaving;SBeam;SilentMode;SmartNetwork;SmartPause;SmartScroll;SmartStay;Sync;ToddlerMode;WiFiHotspot;Wifi</CscFeature_Setting_DefQuickPanelOrder>
or via SQLite Editor: (Navigate to Settings storage > System)
then edit "notification_panel_active_app_list" and add
Code:
AirGesture;AirplaneMode;AirView;AllShareCast;AutoRotate;Bluetooth;Brightness;DoNotDisturb;DormantMode;DrivingMode;Ebook;Location;MobileData;MultiWindow;Nfc;PersonalMode;PowerSaving;SBeam;SilentMode;SmartNetwork;SmartPause;SmartScroll;SmartStay;Sync;ToddlerMode;WiFiHotspot;Wifi

Reactions: charliepan69

themusicmonkey

Apr 14, 2011
I tried this and I keep getting the Security Policy Update warning when I run either script. Also, it doesn't appear to be working. How should I proceed? I ran the scripts in order, and before it resets the phone, that Security warning/block pops up.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Enable all toggles + unlock native Tethering

If you have Safestrap installed and are on a MK2 or MJ7 rom/build you can flash the corresponding zip below and you will unlock native built-in tethering and also get all the toggles including the usually absent Wifi Hotspot toggle. Both versions have been tested and confirmed to be work. This also enables all the missing toggles, not only the Wifi Hotspot toggle. Toggle issue = solved. If you don't have Safestrap then let me know, I'll write up a script to do the same thing if needed.

@Scottchy014 made an awesome video of the process that you can watch here

Devs/Modders/Themers - You can use my script without my permission and you don't need to give me credit. I don't do this for ego/pride I'm already narcissistic enough as it is.

I545VRUFNC5_Tether_unlock_&_toggle.zip
    md5:690b28f995fe7b33d2f1407a25b1abea

MJ7 Tether unlock w/ toggle
    md5:b382d98e112adc5e48c7b37b2bb4bd6a

MK2 Tether unlock w/ toggle
    md5:12e3eab158521d355ddd3956f340cf70

Verizon Galaxy S4 VRUEMJ7 Tether unlock

Unlocks WifiHotspot, USB Tether, and Bluetooth
    Developed by Surge1223
    11/02/2013

Please read the instructions; accidents while flashing framework-res.apk can and do happen and those mistakes lead to having to use full Odin restore tars. I almost made open1your1eyes0 brick had he not caught my mistake in the code. Luckily he was nice enough to test again, luckily that one worked

Instructions:

(Try the alternate method below first, it seems to work with less errors, but if you insist on using the script then FOR MK2 replace all instances of "MJ7" below with "MK2")

1. Extract MJ7_tether_unlock.zip and move the MJ7_tether_unlock folder to the root
    of your micro sdcard so the structure looks like this: /mnt/extSdCard/MJ7_tether_unlock/
    also make sure you have busybox installed and are using SuperSu and not the chinese superuser.
    Finally, before continuing, remember to disable the Knox apps (5 I believe?) and security apps (the 4 VZW security apps) install busybox, remove the Chinese superuser, update SuperSu's binaries, enable usb debugging and under security disable verify apps while enabling unknown sources.

2. Download terminal emulator then type the following in terminal:

Code:
    su
    sh tether.sh
    3. After that your phone should reboot, and tethering should be unlocked! Also a copy of your original framework-res.apk
    can be found in the following directory /mnt/extSdCard/MJ7_tether_unlock/orig-framework-res.apk

4. To restore back to your original framework-res.Code:apk, (i.e, relock tethering) then type the following in terminal:

Code:
    su
    sh untether.sh
    Downloads

MJ7
    Download the zip here
    Alternate link:
    Mirror
    MD5
    : 029780a103ab8fb4929bb83b2270d6ef
    To download just the modded MJ7 framework-res.apk click here

MK2

Download the zip here
    MD5
    :
    ed0e0f974d7d8720690b8eb96461b5f3
    To download just the modded
    MK2 framework-res.apk click here

ALTERNATE METHOD

DO NOT RENAME the original framework-res.apk file! You will have to use an Odin tar to recover!
    1.Download the modded framework-res.apk from here for MJ7 or here for MK2 then copy it to /system first then change framework-res.apk's permissions to rw-r--r-- (chmod 644) and then MOVE it to /system/framework and overwrite framework-res.apk. Then reboot and you should have tethering!

Simply copy and pasting will cause you to boot loop so instead move it to /system first and change the permissions then and only then move it to /system/framework/ and overwrite the original

The Mod itself:

This is from the original arrays.xml

Code:
    Code: 

usb\\d
            rndis\\d

wlan0

bt-pan
       [color=red] [/color]

[color=red]com.samsung.spg
            com.samsung.spg.NewSPGActivity[/color]

This is the modified arrays.xml
    Code:
    Code

usb\\d
            rndis\\d

wlan0

bt-pan

[COLOR=Lime]7[/COLOR]

Give credit to @open1your1eyes0 for testing the second build after I screwed up the first just his input on the shell script and mod in general. Thanks internet, specifically this page. Also @Sir_Eagle for the MK2 framework-res.apk
    I found a way to add the hotspot toggle with these steps and see pics

TB Restore fixer fixes where it won't let you open the settings.storage

Go to settings.storage then system and follow pics.

Sent from my Galaxy S4
    Hi Bizmaniz,

Can you elaborate on this a bit for us n00bs? I've successfully used Towelroot and installed Supersu. How do I install busybox? (safely) and which safestrap version did you install? Is there a link to the terminal command?

Thanks!!

Okay so I got brave and answered my own questions.

From stock Galaxy S4 with NC5 update, using the following download:
    http://click.xda-developers.com/api/click?format=go&jsonp=vglnk_jsonp_14060473045856&key=f0a7f91912ae2b52e0700f73990eb321&libId=4ce4aa1c-4ecd-4f46-b32a-2f2cb57facb8&loc=http%3A%2F%2Fxdaforums.com%2Fshowthread.php%3Ft%3D2512981%26highlight%3Ds4%26page%3D30&v=1&out=http%3A%2F%2Fd-h.st%2FeRV&ref=http%3A%2F%2Fxdaforums.com%2Fshowthread.php%3Fp%3D54168690%26highlight%3Ds4&title=%5BMOD%5D%204.3%20Tether%20Unlock%20MJ7%20%26%20MK2%20%2B%20enab%E2%80%A6%20-%20Pg.%2030%20%7C%20Verizon%20Galaxy%20S4%20%7C%20XDA%20Forum&txt=I545VRUFNC5_Tether_unlock_%26amp%3B_toggle.zip

1) Use Towelroot.com to root phone
    2) Install Supersu from the play store. Open it, install update, and reboot. (I had to reboot twice for some reason before this worked)
    3) Confirm root with Root checker basic app from play store. (optional)
    4) Install Busybox from Play store
    -Open Busybox and click install. Should work with the new root privileges.
    5) Copy the framework-res.apk file from the NC5 download above located in /system/framework, to the SDcard in a folder called NC5. (Renam the file to NC5framework-res.apk)
    6) Install a Terminal Emulator from the play store and open it. Use the following commands.

Note: This does back up the original framework in case you want to go back to stock again. Do these in the order listed!!
    All commands below are CaSe SeNsAtIvE

a) su
    b) busybox mount -o remount,rw /system
    c) busybox cp /system/framework/framework-res.apk /mnt/extSdCard/NC5/NC5orig-framework-res.apk
    d) busybox cp /mnt/extSdCard/NC5/NC5framework-res.apk /system/NC5framework-res.apk
    e) busybox chmod 644 /system/NC5framework-res.apk
    f) busybox mv /system/NC5framework-res.apk /system/framework/framework-res.apk
    g) reboot

I now have the latest 4.4.2 update with working tether!! Big thanks for everyone's hard work!!!
    what's chmod 644?? I've been around a while but I never heard that before?

Sent from my VZW Galaxy Note 3

When people say"push the app to /system and then change permissions" the permissions they are referring to is setting chmod the app to 644 which is setting the permissions for the owner, group and others.

chmod 644 = rw-r--r--

Owners -6 = read and write
    Group - 4 = read only
    Others -4 = read only

Number convention:

4 = read only
    2 = write only
    4 + 2 = 6
    6 = read and write

5 = read and execute
    5+2 =7
    7= read, write and execute

Sent from my SCH-I535 using xda app-developers app
    I don't have safestrap any other way to get it done

Well aside from installing safestrap 3.72? Sure just extract the framework-res.apk from the zip (located in the zip system/framework folder) move/copy the framework-res.apk to /system, set the permissions to 644 (rw-r--r--) then MOVE (do not copy and paste) the framework-res.apk from /system to /system/framework and overwrite the old framework-res.apk. Then reboot.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app