[Q] Viewsonic gtablet

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

bekriebel

Dec 15, 2008
Bekit,

this installs fine and I can navigate through the menus fine. However, I cannot mount the /sdcard to make a nandroid backup (this is because the physical sd card is actually sd2 Im guessing, right? How do I remap nandroid to look in sd2? I know you are in need of files to get your device running, if I can make a successful nandroid Id be more than happy to make you whatever file you need.
LMK!

Unfortunately, I need more than a nandroid backup since I don't have access to recovery anymore. You are correct, the mappings are not correct but I need a working device to fix them. It MAY be possible that it will mount & use an external SD card properly, but I'm not sure.

-Brint

short/y

Mar 9, 2006
Silly-con Valley
Yes, but be careful what commands you send to nvflash, some of them are dangerous. In particular, be careful of the various bat files that ship with the nvidia sdk. Do not execute them. They are all set up for the tegra 2 developer boards and they will repartition/reformat your tablet. Stay away from the --create command (which they use in all those bat files), plus anything with the word 'write' in it, at least until you have a usable backup.

On Windows, you'd want to install the Nvidia Tegra/Froyo pack (to get nvflash and the usb drivers), install the usb drivers, put your tablet into APX mode (again, hold down vol+ & vol- when turning the device on.. the device should go into a mode where it looks like it is turned off (screen blank) but your computer should see it as a usb device if it is connected via the mini<->usb cable and you have the nvidia usbpcdrivers installed)...

Then you'd want to go into directory nvflash was installed to (probably C:\Program Files\NVIDIA Corporation\android_tegra_250_FroyoOV5650 or.... Program Files (x86) if you're on Win x64) in a cmd terminal and type:

nvflash --bl bootloader.bin --getpartitiontable (filename)

That will retrieve the partition table from the device and store it into whatever (filename) you give it on your PC. You may have to make the filename some other directory than the current one if you're on Vista/W7 since they lock down the write permissions in Program Files directories. (You could also just modify the directory permissions if you want to do it that way, or copy all of the contents to another directory you have write permissions to, nvflash is self contained in terms of dll files all being in that directory).

Getting the partition table is the first step... there are some others, if anyone is willing to give it a try?
I get an error:

Code:
Nvflash started
rcm version 0X20001
System Information:
   chip name: t20
   chip id: 0x20 major: 1 minor: 3
   chip sku: 0x8
   chip uid: 0x171440094240f357
   macrovision: disabled
   hdcp: enabled
   sbk burned: false
   dk burned: false
   boot device: nand
   operating mode: 3
   device config strap: 0
   device config fuse: 0
   sdram config strap: 0

downloading bootloader -- load address: 0x108000 entry point: 0x108000
sending file: bootloader.bin
\ 903580/903580 bytes sent
bootloader.bin sent successfully
waiting for bootloader to initialize
bootloader failed NvError 0x0
command failure: bootloader download failed

Any ideas?

EDIT: BTW, I did some searches and found something on the Tegra Developer site but there was no resolution.

Last edited:

beebop483

Jun 9, 2010
Hey all, I've been follwing this thread since I got my G tab yesterday(last one in the area) and I just wanna say that it's fantastic to see so much dev work being done on this tablet in such a short period of time. I was going to exchange my G tab for another one since it had some bubbles under the screen protector, and because of that I've kept the firmware nearly 100% stock with the exception of a few apps I've installed like Kindle, Dropbox, Skyfire, Etc.

I have several windows pc's and a linux box, and at least one of them has the android dev software running. If anyone can give me some steps on how to create a copy of the original ROM I'd gladly do so when I get home tonight and load it up to the forums so we have a stock backup to use.

Also I saw a post a few pages back about Launcher Pro. I've gotten it working with the G tab, although the Tap-n-Tap interface was still running in the background.

Lemme know how to create a copy of the stock firmware for this puppy and I will gladly do so.

rushless

Jan 16, 2008
FWIW, Flash apparently does not work on the new Toshiba Folio either and has same chipset. People are already posting that bought it.

gmcbay

Nov 2, 2010
I get an error:

Code:
Nvflash started
rcm version 0X20001
System Information:
   chip uid: 0x171440094240f357

Any ideas?

EDIT: BTW, I did some searches and found something on the Tegra Developer site but there was no resolution.

Is this on Windows?

I'm wondering why your bootloader.bin is 903580 bytes, the one that installed for me in my local Windows copy of the nvidia tegra tools (and is working against my gtablet) is 926336 bytes.

adamhos

Mar 13, 2009
Yes, but be careful what commands you send to nvflash, some of them are dangerous. In particular, be careful of the various bat files that ship with the nvidia sdk. Do not execute them. They are all set up for the tegra 2 developer boards and they will repartition/reformat your tablet. Stay away from the --create command (which they use in all those bat files), plus anything with the word 'write' in it, at least until you have a usable backup.

On Windows, you'd want to install the Nvidia Tegra/Froyo pack (to get nvflash and the usb drivers), install the usb drivers, put your tablet into APX mode (again, hold down vol+ & vol- when turning the device on.. the device should go into a mode where it looks like it is turned off (screen blank) but your computer should see it as a usb device if it is connected via the mini<->usb cable and you have the nvidia usbpcdrivers installed)...

Then you'd want to go into directory nvflash was installed to (probably C:\Program Files\NVIDIA Corporation\android_tegra_250_FroyoOV5650 or.... Program Files (x86) if you're on Win x64) in a cmd terminal and type:

That will retrieve the partition table from the device and store it into whatever (filename) you give it on your PC. You may have to make the filename some other directory than the current one if you're on Vista/W7 since they lock down the write permissions in Program Files directories. (You could also just modify the directory permissions if you want to do it that way, or copy all of the contents to another directory you have write permissions to, nvflash is self contained in terms of dll files all being in that directory).

Getting the partition table is the first step... there are some others, if anyone is willing to give it a try?

I'm working on it right now, but getting some error. Seems like it connects, but fails. I've never used the tegra sdk before though, so not sure yet.

:~/dev/tegra$ ./nvflash --bl bootloader.bin --getpartitiontable gtablet_stock.bin
Nvflash started
rcm version 0X20001
System Information:
chip uid: 0x171440094440b357

usb read error (108): Cannot send after transport endpoint shutdown

short/y

Mar 9, 2006
Silly-con Valley
Is this on Windows?

I'm wondering why your bootloader.bin is 903580 bytes, the one that installed for me in my local Windows copy of the nvidia tegra tools (and is working against my gtablet) is 926336 bytes.
Yeah. Windows and it looks like adamhos is getting the same thing on Linux. I also downloaded/installed on my Ubuntu system and my bootloader (from the Tegra site) on both systems is the same size as his. From http://developer.nvidia.com/tegra/tegra-250-developer-sdk I chose #2, Android and downloaded http://developer.download.nvidia.com/tegra/files/android_tegra_250_5740768.msi and http://developer.download.nvidia.com/tegra/files/android_tegra_250_5740768.run.zip.

adamhos

Mar 13, 2009
Is this on Windows?

That's probably the size on disk, instead of the actual size. Have you tried the nvflash and get its uploading 926336 bytes?

bekriebel

Dec 15, 2008

In an effort to speed this up a bit, how about an IRC channel? I've opened up #tegratab on freenode. Feel free to join in. I may not always be at my keyboard, so don't be offended if I don't say hi :)

-Brint

gmcbay

Nov 2, 2010
That's probably the size on disk, instead of the actual size. Have you tried the nvflash and get its uploading 926336 bytes?

Yeah I'm going by the size actually reported by nvflash (and the size you see from a DOS/cmd 'dir')... where his says 905xxx, mine says 926336.

You may want to make a complete copy of the nvidia tegra directory to another directory and replace bootloader.bin with this:

http://www.georgemcbay.com/bootloader.bin

Or you could just save that link to bootloader2.bin and pass --bl bootloader2.bin to nvflash. That bootloader.bin should work with the gtablet... works with mine anyway. I guess I must have overwritten the one that comes with the nvidia sdk and forgot about it.

Using a different bootloader.bin in nvflash is safe because it doesn't write the bootloader.bin to flash (at least not until you do a --create or specificially tell it to overwrite the EBT partition), it just executes it out of memory.

cordcutter

Nov 4, 2010
If you're going to return it, just return it. There's no need to destroy the hardware. If you're really worried the local sears won't take it back, just break the software enough to put it into a recovery loop so the device can be reflashed later and still work. Destroying the hardware is wasteful.

It is still my wish that someone out there with a completely stock G-Tablet would make a full system backup before changing *anything*. This is possible via nvflash, you can totally back up all of the device's data to your PC without being root or changing anything at all.

If we had such a backup, then it *really* wouldn't matter if any other mods messed the devices up because we could always get back to complete baseline in less than a minute using APX recovery and nvflash.

I'd buy another g-tablet to make such a backup of a pristine system but they aren't for sale anywhere near me anymore.

I have not done anything to my gtablet other that the auto push that viewsonic did to the tablet. Well i have changed settings but that is it. So if anybody wants to pm me a step by step guide how to pull the system backup I will try.

*** Disclaimer I have never messed with an android device before soooo you will have to dumb down the directions *** I have only just started messing with linux a week ago sooo keep that in mind.

short/y

Mar 9, 2006
Silly-con Valley
Yeah I'm going by the size actually reported by nvflash (and the size you see from a DOS/cmd 'dir')... where his says 905xxx, mine says 926336.

You may want to make a complete copy of the nvidia tegra directory to another directory and replace bootloader.bin with this:

http://www.georgemcbay.com/bootloader.bin

Or you could just save that link to bootloader2.bin and pass --bl bootloader2.bin to nvflash. That bootloader.bin should work with the gtablet... works with mine anyway. I guess I must have overwritten the one that comes with the nvidia sdk and forgot about it.

Using a different bootloader.bin in nvflash is safe because it doesn't write the bootloader.bin to flash (at least not until you do a --create or specificially tell it to overwrite the EBT partition), it just executes it out of memory.
Thanks. A few of us are over on IRC. I let them know about this and I'm gonna try it now.

iamnarada

Nov 3, 2010
FWIW, Flash apparently does not work on the new Toshiba Folio either and has same chipset. People are already posting that bought it.

The website (Toshiba's) says that it will be availabe as a download. Reports on the internet through various news channels is that it was announced that the Folio was shipping without flash but would get it as an update.

adamhos

Mar 13, 2009
Success using that other bootloader!

[code~/dev/tegra$ ./nvflash --bl bootloader.bin --getpartitiontable gtablet_partition.txt
Nvflash started
rcm version 0X20001
System Information:
chip uid: 0x171440094440b357

| 926336/926336 bytes sent
bootloader downloaded successfully
receiving file: gtablet_partition.txt, expected size: 352 bytes
- 352/352 bytes received
file received successfully
[/code]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I'm probably going to call my local SEARS, tomorrow - I pre-ordered an Archos 101, but this thing might actually be better (and available quicker). It's a little pricier than I was looking to spend, but it's probably very fast.
    Disassembly

Probably best to use a plastic iPod 5G tool versus a screwdriver.

There are four screws hidden behind the rubber feet, in the back of the device. Pull off the feet, and unscrew.

Then, slowly pull off the back of the device, using the iPod tool or small screwdriver - there are clips which hold it together. Once the clips are off, the back comes off.

Some pics:

gtpic01.jpg

gtpic02.jpg

gtpic03.jpg

gtpic04.jpg

gtpic05.jpg

gtpic06.jpg

gtpic07.jpg
    I just got a Viewsonic gtablet from Sears today (was on sale $379.00),looks like it can be very powerful... but I am lost ,it needs some updates... no market ... Very fast on the net... no flash at all,wont play any youtubes
    I hope someone know s something about this tablet , I cant find any help other than calling Viewsonics help number
    this is the newest pad i ever seen

:confused:
    I also purchased one tonight and it is utter junk with this TapnTap UI loaded on it. I did manage to load Launcher Pro and this thing was FLYING! Lets get this project moving!
    Here you go :) Flash should work

Hope this helps guys.. this is the apk file for the folio 100 which was downloaded from the service center this morning, hope it works :) for me it only works on the stock browser not opera. Pleases leave feedback