VoipCall 0.2.1 PDA + SmartPhone (31-05-2008)

Search This thread

Rhapsody

Jan 7, 2007
Amersfoort
pardon my ignorance, but I am not sure what this program is for. If you are calling a service number or if the service is calling your phone, aren't you charged airtime on your phone anyways? Or is this really a way to get international calls cheap or free using standard local airtime?

Ok, I'll try to explain.

With Betamax (like VoipBuster, VoipRaider etc) it is possible to call over ip. To achieve this there are a few options. One option is to use a real voip phone (which can be configured to use VoipBuster)

Another option is to dial a service number. When you call this servicenumber you'll get a computer which asks you for the number you want to dial. VoipCall simplifies this by showing all the contacts and being able to dial the contact directly (using the service and a small trick)

The call to the servicenumber is charged by your phone provider. The international call from the servicenumber to the recipient is charged via your VoipBuster credits.

I'm investigating the option to let the service call you and the contact. With this all the calling is charged on your VoipBuster account. For now this is impossible unfortunately so it's only interesting if you want to call to foreign numbers.

note: instead of VoipBuster you can also use a different Betamax reseller.

cruzzmz

May 4, 2005
Kuala Lumpur
Hi
this is a gr8 sw :D .... but can u make it so that we (at least me) can configure my own sip acc & sip server? ... the default wm voip does not use the default ear piece :( so i need a simple voip sw like urs

regards

Rhapsody

Jan 7, 2007
Amersfoort
Hi
this is a gr8 sw :D .... but can u make it so that we (at least me) can configure my own sip acc & sip server? ... the default wm voip does not use the default ear piece :( so i need a simple voip sw like urs

regards
VoipCall is not a sip server. Maybe (however unlikely) I'll create this in the future. But I think there are other solutions for this.

In that case I have to disappoint you (like VoipBuster does)

A&A

Sep 13, 2007
Hi Rhapsody,

Thanks ONCE MORE fore bringing up one more great program!

Some suggestions for VoipCall:

It would be very nice if you could:

1) Add the "Sort (Alphabetically)" option to the favorites (I have noticed that -as of now- if you follow an ascending sequence in adding your favorites, the list will be sorted in a descending way and vice-versa). If you add a favorite to your existing list at a later stage the alphabetical order is even more stirred. (I assume you would prefer the average user to stay well clear of the favorites.xml which could be carefully Notepad-edited) :)

2) Add the "Delete All" options to the favorites (as of now the entire favorites list can be deleted by uncheking "Enable favorites" closing and re-opening VoipCall)

3) Either bring the phone pad to the front or add a "Hang Up" button to the Favorites/Contacts page. When the call is in progress either of the above two would give a more solid "control" feeling to the user

4) Fix the vertical scroll bar in Option/Favorites which -as of now- does not stop at the last contact, but cycles 3 times through the entire contacts list.

Again -as I mentioned in your VoipSMS thread- if I overlooked some existing features, which would enable any of the above functions, please let me know.

Hopefully my post has been of some help to you.

Thanks and keep up the outstanding work! :)

hotmail

Sep 24, 2006
California
Instructions
In order to use VoipCall, it's important to configure it first.

Go to options and set the following values on the first tab (Application Settings)
Pause sign: p (lowercase, this is default, however unlikely your phone might have a different sign)
Default country code: this is a digit code which will be used when no country code is set.. For The Netherlands it's 0031. For Germany 0049 etc.

Use '#' Sign: set to true.This will add an '#' sign to the end of the number to call. This is needed by VoipBuster.

Neat program and concept. But I can't get it to work on my device. I have a Hermes (8525) running a WM 6.1 ROM (Faria's).

I've configured for my provider, VoipStunt, and it does dial the access number and pause correctly. But then it only dials "00", instead of the full number. After a few seconds a recorded voice says to dial 00, country code, then subscriber number. After I hang up I see from the number dialed that it only did the VoipStunt local access number, pause, and 00. Doesn't ever "tone" the target phone number.

Also, I have 001 configured in my VoipCall country code. But it never dials 001. Just 00. What am I missing? Thanks in advance!

Sushikidd

Mar 2, 2007
Rotterdam
Hi Rhapsody,

Thanks ONCE MORE fore bringing up one more great program!

Some suggestions for VoipCall:

It would be very nice if you could:

1) Add the "Sort (Alphabetically)" option to the favorites (I have noticed that -as of now- if you follow an ascending sequence in adding your favorites, the list will be sorted in a descending way and vice-versa). If you add a favorite to your existing list at a later stage the alphabetical order is even more stirred. (I assume you would prefer the average user to stay well clear of the favorites.xml which could be carefully Notepad-edited) :)

2) Add the "Delete All" options to the favorites (as of now the entire favorites list can be deleted by uncheking "Enable favorites" closing and re-opening VoipCall)

3) Either bring the phone pad to the front or add a "Hang Up" button to the Favorites/Contacts page. When the call is in progress either of the above two would give a more solid "control" feeling to the user

4) Fix the vertical scroll bar in Option/Favorites which -as of now- does not stop at the last contact, but cycles 3 times through the entire contacts list.

Again -as I mentioned in your VoipSMS thread- if I overlooked some existing features, which would enable any of the above functions, please let me know.

Hopefully my post has been of some help to you.

Thanks and keep up the outstanding work! :)

i fully agree with B&B Lover and i would like to add a counter to see how much time you used for the call..

also, considering it slows down the d-pad scrolling, it might be handier to not have it automatically select any highlighted contact, but to have that selected by a tap or click..

keep rockin Mathieu
:cool:

Last edited:

Rhapsody

Jan 7, 2007
Amersfoort
Ok, version 0.2 is available for download.

Changes:
- Move favorite down/up in contextmenu on favorites
- Delete all favorites
- Order favorites fixed
- Phonepad will be visible during call

Rhapsody

Jan 7, 2007
Amersfoort
Sorry, I have responded on wrong thread it's the VoipCall v0.2 that i'm enquiring about.
We just have voice we have a landline internet no. given to us by BT.
Found this thread may be of use http://beta.bt.com/bta/forums/thread.jspa?messageID=15573
Can we set this up with your software.
Any help much appreciated and sorry again for not stating what i was trying to do before.

VoipCall doesn't work that way. It uses a service provided by i.e. Betamax.
In order to use VoipCall you need:
- A servicenumber to call
- Username/password

It can not be used with sip.

Sushikidd

Mar 2, 2007
Rotterdam
I'll try to look at it today.

What do you mean with your last suggestion Sushikidd?

abt by "keep rockin" ? ;)

i think u mean abt the selection right? :p well right now if i scroll through the contact list with the d-pad, it selects every contact(number) in the dial box in turn as the highlight passes through the contacts in the list.. although it theoretically seems this would speed up the process of making a call, constantly selecting each passed contact in the list while scrolling with the d-pad slows down the scrolling quite abit.. it might be more practical to have the app not select an actual contact(number) untill its verified by a tap or a click with the action button or something..

hope this is clear enough... explaining is not my strongest skill :)

rsanabria80

Sep 27, 2007
Hello it looks great but I have two questions...

1) Can I use it with JustVoIP? I heard JustVOIP does not support SIP so I don't know if it has anything to do with that...

2) My contacts are all in +** (***) ****** format but I can see that VoIPCall places ( ) in the beginning and the end of every phone number so that I have in the screen something like this: (+** (***) ******). Then I tried to place a call and I get the Dialing number for VoipBuster (lets say 917234542) in such format: 917234542p00*** in which "***" are the numbers inside the original parenthesis and all other numbers seem to be ignored... How can I dial any number using my format?... I am currently in Spain but soon in Australia. Is this a common error?

Thank you and congrats for this application which seem to be great if I get it to work property..

Thank you in advance for your help!

Rhapsody

Jan 7, 2007
Amersfoort
Hello it looks great but I have two questions...

1) Can I use it with JustVoIP? I heard JustVOIP does not support SIP so I don't know if it has anything to do with that...

2) My contacts are all in +** (***) ****** format but I can see that VoIPCall places ( ) in the beginning and the end of every phone number so that I have in the screen something like this: (+** (***) ******). Then I tried to place a call and I get the Dialing number for VoipBuster (lets say 917234542) in such format: 917234542p00*** in which "***" are the numbers inside the original parenthesis and all other numbers seem to be ignored... How can I dial any number using my format?... I am currently in Spain but soon in Australia. Is this a common error?

Thank you and congrats for this application which seem to be great if I get it to work property..

Thank you in advance for your help!
No VoipCall doesn't use sip. It uses a servicenumber from the Voip Provider.

I've updated VoipCall. The parenthesis will be removed properly now.

ckklompie

Feb 27, 2008
Hello

Mijn engels is heel slecht daarom in het nederlands.
Ik heb 2 vragen.
als ik bel met callvoip dan wordt het locale nummer gebeld van voipbuster. Op dat moment wordt er gevraagt om het nummer van de gene die ik wil bellen in te drukken. Dit moet toch automatisch gaan zodra ik uit het voipcall menu een nummer heb gekozen?
U kunt mij ook mailen naar emailadres ckklompie@hotmail.com.

Nogmaals excuses dat ik niet in het engels schrijf!

Rhapsody

Jan 7, 2007
Amersfoort
Sorry for the late reply

but i thought that justvoip = voipbuster right?!
Yes that's right.

Mijn engels is heel slecht daarom in het nederlands.
Ik heb 2 vragen.
als ik bel met callvoip dan wordt het locale nummer gebeld van voipbuster. Op dat moment wordt er gevraagt om het nummer van de gene die ik wil bellen in te drukken. Dit moet toch automatisch gaan zodra ik uit het voipcall menu een nummer heb gekozen?
U kunt mij ook mailen naar emailadres ckklompie@hotmail.com.

Nogmaals excuses dat ik niet in het engels schrijf!
Ja dat moet automatisch gaan. Er zit wel een pauze in van een seconde. Dus die mevrouw is halverwege haar zin en daarna moet je de tonen horen die overeenkomen met het intoetsen van het gewenste nummer. Op die manier wordt je doorverbonden.

Sushikidd

Mar 2, 2007
Rotterdam
heyyyy

hi Matthieu, hows it going? long time to chat.. :)
hope everything is very well with you..

im happily and intensivley using voipcall as well as voipsms, and they are both just great...

i have a request for voipcall though.. could you include a type-and-find function, the thing that when you start typing the app starts to match the typed letters with contactnames from the list?

another big wish (also for voipsms) is to be able to add contacts/numbers from the pop up menu in outlook contacts..

any hope for those? :)

oh, btw.... check this page for an extremely handy daily updated voip tarifs overview of all the major betamax voip providers: http://backsla.sh/betamax

i have a few different voip accounts, so ive made a spreadsheet that updates from this site via a webquery. in such a spreadsheet you can then hide all the lines with tariffs that are not interesting, and leave the ones that are interesting visible. et voila, an easy desktop app with daily updated tariffs from your providers for the countries that you want to know about. :)

pm me if u want an example...

cheers

Last edited: