Wifi running super slow, please help. (Solved in my case)

Search This thread

shaolin95

Apr 5, 2010
Utah
Hi!
I was noticing issues a few days ago but never though they were phone related but I just did a test and the downloads speeds are horrible with Wifi. I mean .21mps and upload just scored 2.81Mb
On one random test it got about 8 download just 15 mins ago but after that is all super slow.
No idea what kind of settings I can tweak here.

In comparison a HTC Amaze gets 11Mb download in the same spot and even the horrible Wifi of the TF201 transformer Prime gets about 6Mb :/
Any suggestions?

PS UPDATE
In my case it was the router.
Got a Linksys E2500 and now all my devices max out my internet speeds...happy ending! :)

Last edited:

LordManhattan

Oct 20, 2007
Kepler-34b
Yup! I also noticed this after the 290 update, so it's definitely a software issue (thank god). I noticed around two weeks ago that my download speed was at 12 Mbps, which is what it should be at, but one day later it was at 7. So I logged on my 2.4GHz network instead of 5GHz, and it was back to normal... well, until it wasn't. It had gone down to 7 again. And that's how it's been for the past two weeks. I have no idea why this happens, but it is driving me crazy. It's nice to see that I'm not the only one with this issue though. It helps a little while to switch between the frequencies for me, but I'm getting really tired of it.

What router do you have? I have a Netgear something something..

Sent from my C6833 using Tapatalk

shaolin95

Apr 5, 2010
Utah
Got a Netgear 2.4Ghz kind of old by now and I wish I was getting 7 :/
Just changed to CH1 on the router, did a quick run and was getting about finally but then got a lost network connection error, ran it again and got .12 download! :/

In thought about trying Dogg ROM ...this si really annoying me now :/

Last edited:

LordManhattan

Oct 20, 2007
Kepler-34b
Got a Netgear 2.4Ghz kind of old by now and I wish I was getting 7 :/
Just changed to CH1 on the router, did a quick run and was getting about finally but then got a lost network connection error, ran it again and got .12 download! :/

In thought about trying Dogg ROM ...this si really annoying me now :/

Alright, so you have a Netgear too. Interesting. But I didn't have any issues on 257, so it's kind of strange.

I'm completely blank, and I have no idea what the problem might be. How much data has AndroidOS used on your ZU on WiFi?

shaolin95

Apr 5, 2010
Utah
How can you check data usage under Wifi only.. like maybe just restart it and let it sit to see what it is doing?

I am going to ask on the Dogg Rom thread what people is getting with Wifi too.

shaolin95

Apr 5, 2010
Utah
For today is showing 101MB Android OS
Right now it is getting into almost 4MB download and 5 upload so that is better than the .21s of before but it just keep changing all the time while my HTC Amaze gets almost 20Mb downloads! :/
I even though of getting a more modern router! :D

LordManhattan

Oct 20, 2007
Kepler-34b
Ah, okay. AndroidOS here has used 3.8GB so far this month, which isn't normal at all. It should be around 50MB. It doesn't add up at all. What system service is using that much data? The answer is non, which makes this another mystery on my part.

I have read a lot about people having the same problem as me, but they also had really bad battery life and it's usually easy to catch the guilty service, but my battery is awesome and AndroidOS only uses data while I'm on Wi-Fi... Like what the hell...! I'm drawing complete blanks here :p

shaolin95

Apr 5, 2010
Utah
Wow I just saw that from Jan 1 to Jan 9 I have 3.60GB of Android OS and 1.6GB of youtube...so that is more than double my actual Youtube Wifi usage! WTH :/

Vanquiz

Nov 13, 2010
Gasp... I got almost 6GB Android OS usage in one week?!?! Wth...

On the other note, that is weird why your Amaze got better speed compared to ZU, perhaps there's some incompatibility between ZU and your router? I'm using Asus and it works just fine, just did a quick speedtest, and pretty much same speed between ZU on wifi and ethernet on PC, 55-58Mbps

shaolin95

Apr 5, 2010
Utah
And suddenly like at 11pm it started getting 16Mb down again and this morning it was still good...maybe my router is acting up indeed? I did try the HTC two more times like at 10pm and it dropped to about 6Mb compared to previous side to side tests where it was getting 16Mb and the Ultra only .21...yeah hard to track down the issue with so many random acts.
In any case, I am going to try a new router.
A local is selling a Linksys EA4500 for $75. If I can get it for $50, it should be an upgrade from what I got...I hope :D

hansip87

Jan 14, 2011
Jakarta
I was getting just 1MBps of upload speed when sending my film through Wifi to my desktop. but when i change target (to my NAS) the speed is increased to 3MBps. I know it is still counted as slow, but just to inform that different target/source is another factor too.

LordManhattan

Oct 20, 2007
Kepler-34b
LOL, take a look at this

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1389365892699.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1389365892699.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 50

LordManhattan

Oct 20, 2007
Kepler-34b
Now is that because of the sync of data, pictures, apps, etc to google? :D

I don't sync my photos, apps etc. so it can't be that. I do have auto-sync on 24/7, but that's only gmail syncing and stuff like that. Automatic backup is disabled. The funny thing i noticed is that AndroidOS' data usage will increase whenever i use the YouTube app. Logic, not even once :p

Edit: Oh, and btw, regarding the WiFi issue we're both having, the upload/download speed is constantly at max on my computer, but not on the Ultra, so it has to be a software issue in 290.

Last edited:

shaolin95

Apr 5, 2010
Utah
I dont get it as other users do not have the same problem or so they claim.
I even asked on the Dogg Rom thread. And this morning suddenly mine was fine again. I am getting a new router to switch from 2.4 to 5 if that helps since at home there are too many close routers and too many wireless things.
Besides, many times I have to come home and uplug the router and plug back in for the wireless to connect so I am fed up with it :D

LordManhattan

Oct 20, 2007
Kepler-34b
I dont get it as other users do not have the same problem or so they claim.
I even asked on the Dogg Rom thread. And this morning suddenly mine was fine again. I am getting a new router to switch from 2.4 to 5 if that helps since at home there are too many close routers and too many wireless things.
Besides, many times I have to come home and uplug the router and plug back in for the wireless to connect so I am fed up with it :D

Yeah, it's strange that we're the only ones with this problem, and we both have Netgear routers :p I should probably move my router around and see if that makes a difference. It's currently sitting next to my TV and a lot of other gadgets, which isn't that smart :p

shaolin95

Apr 5, 2010
Utah
I have an oldie Netgear but someone is selling the wndr3400 for $40 local. Maybe I will give it a shot.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Just want to give a little update, wifi connection seems slows a lot, only at 3 Mbps. On iPad on the same connection speedtest shows normal fast speed.

1. Restarted modem and router, same result.
    2. Turn off and turn on wifi on ZU, same result.
    3. Forget wifi network, and reconnect, same result.
    4. Almost give up with frustration.
    5. Turn off phone and turn it back on, then finally the speed back to normal.

So at least on my phone, i think i need to restart my phone every other day to prevent the drop on wifi speed, but still need to see if it happens again in the next few days.

I stumbled upon something today. Disable "WiFi optimization" (WiFi->Advanced). Some say it'll stop Android from "pinging" the router every couple of seconds. I disabled it a couple of hours ago, but my WiFi issue creeps up on me, so i'll have to wait and see if it solves my problem. Also, i read that disabling the "n" (in b/g/n) (local speed over 54Mbps) helps too. I haven't disabled that yet, but i still find it funny that my 4 year old laptop isn't having any issues with WiFi. I was on 4.4.2 (GPe ROM) earlier today and it was still the same, so it can't be software, and i refuse to believe that it's a hardware issue (since turning WiFi off and on speeds it up again), so it has to be my router or some crappy Android WiFi drivers.

I can of course set it to turn WiFi off when i turn the screen off, and that'll "refresh" the connection every time i use it, but then i'll have to wait a couple of seconds for it to connect every time i turn the screen on :p I ain't got time for dat!